The 32 inch 4k IPS 144hz's...(Update - this party is started) (wait for it...)

Nvidia just confirmed some more 32" monitors:

32.png

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/new-g-sync-monitors-announced-2022/

Forget these crappy 32" LCD's, Sony just announced their 42" A90K. Now the real party has started. These are using LG's new much brighter panels as well, and early rumors say they are even less susceptible to burnin as prior gen panels.

Sony is incompetent when it comes to displays. 1.5 years to add VRR to their LCD and it necessitates disabling FALD + input lag straight out of 2017.

Anyone who wants the 42" OLED's will go for the LG C2 which supposedly now detect Nvidia GPU's to automatically optimize VRR/input lag, etc.

Forget these crappy 32" LCD's, Sony just announced their 42" A90K. Now the real party has started. These are using LG's new much brighter panels as well, and early rumors say they are even less susceptible to burnin as prior gen panels.
Same WRGB Evo panels as in G1 and some C1, same TV limitations and features and likely a lower actual brightness on the 42-48" models due to W pixel aperture being smaller because of the physical size of the pixels (so the Evo there will just make them as bright as non-Evo 55"+ ones). Personally don't see this as a monitor solution at all. Maybe in some years with a proper RGB OLED panel and 240Hz refresh...

Sony is incompetent when it comes to displays. 1.5 years to add VRR to their LCD and it necessitates disabling FALD + input lag straight out of 2017.

Anyone who wants the 42" OLED's will go for the LG C2 which supposedly now detect Nvidia GPU's to automatically optimize VRR/input lag, etc.
The reason for this is the way Sony prioritizes features. First and foremost they care about accurate image processing. Samsung and LG have vastly different approaches to video science than Sony. Sony will always dedicate the grunt of their processing power to pure image quality.

Even more than the other brands they just don't care about high end PC displays. TV's are a zillion times larger market.

The reason for this is the way Sony prioritizes features. First and foremost they care about accurate image processing. Samsung and LG have vastly different approaches to video science than Sony. Sony will always dedicate the grunt of their processing power to pure image quality.
Exactly. Sign me up for image quality being the number one priority. Exact reason I prefer Sony TVs over any brand.

Same WRGB Evo panels as in G1 and some C1, same TV limitations and features and likely a lower actual brightness on the 42-48" models due to W pixel aperture being smaller because of the physical size of the pixels (so the Evo there will just make them as bright as non-Evo 55"+ ones). Personally don't see this as a monitor solution at all. Maybe in some years with a proper RGB OLED panel and 240Hz refresh...

I posted this in the LG 42" OLED thread but TFT Central is reporting that the 48" and 42" displays are not actually using the newer, brighter Evo panels.

Honestly brightness would be the least of issues you'll run into when with using these TVs as monitors. Higher brightness would be cool for HDR but that's about it, and at 600 nits it should still be fine for that considering the unlimited contrast.

Honestly brightness would be the least of issues you'll run into when with using these TVs as monitors. Higher brightness would be cool for HDR but that's about it, and at 600 nits it should still be fine for that considering the unlimited contrast.
For me personally, HDR was a major requirement, even more so after I got to see it in person in a display larger than 8 inches. In terms of impact, I think it's much bigger than the upgrade to 4K. But each to their own.

For me personally, HDR was a major requirement, even more so after I got to see it in person in a display larger than 8 inches. In terms of impact, I think it's much bigger than the upgrade to 4K. But each to their own.
Oh, I agree. I would gladly get a 1080p HDR OLED TV instead of a 4K one. Unfortunately no such TVs are being made.

What processing are you going to need when displaying full Chroma using a PC? The reason their TVs suck is because of a lack of flexibility. LG allows you to basically make their TV a monitor sans processing or enable it if necessary where as Sony forces it down your throat. I don't need motion interpolation or smooth gradation when I'm PC gaming.
https://rog.asus.com/articles/gaming-monitors/rog-swift-pg32uqxe/
PG32UQXv2 I mean UQXE, now with HDMI 2.1 port (sic), Reflex Analyzer and an OC to 160Hz.
Using the same panel most likely.
And costing $3000 again.
No way it uses the same panel. It's a 576 zone FALD display and likely using the more recent faster 4K/144Hz IPS panels. With the current PG32UQX panel @ 160hz 50%+ of its pixel response transitions won't even be fast enough to keep up with the refresh rate. Smear city.

No way it uses the same panel. It's a 576 zone FALD display and likely using the more recent faster 4K/144Hz IPS panels. With the current PG32UQX panel @ 160hz 50%+ of its pixel response transitions won't even be fast enough to keep up with the refresh rate. Smear city.
Different backlight, most likely the same panel. I'd wager that it will be the exact same panel as in Acer X32. Price will probably be lower than $3000 though.
And these panels are a far cry from "smear city" even at their OCed 155/160Hz options really.

Somewhat related: https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/4/2...monitor-42-48-inch-4k-hdmi-2-1-vrr-allm-specs

I just dont see how these 32" LCD's are going to compete against the 42" next gen OLED. They will be the same price, yet the OLED will destroy them in every way except in burn-in risk. It will be easy to overlook the size increase from 32", and if you really wanted you can 1:1 pixel map to a small screen size on the OLED.

They will be the same price, yet the OLED will destroy them in every way except in burn-in risk.
Brightness, always present ABL, lack of DP 1.4 DSC ports, WRGB subpixels, only 120Hz refresh, rigid TV stand, glossy screen coating. And burn-in. And 42" size which while being quite optimal for 4K resolution is quite large in fact and certainly not to everyones liking.
These OLEDs won't be much different from CX/C1 range, and the addition of a 42" model doesn't change much in their monitor usage.
PG42UQ looks more interesting in fact since it remedies some of these issues straight away but it will likely cost a lot more than a 42" C2.

Different backlight, most likely the same panel. I'd wager that it will be the exact same panel as in Acer X32. Price will probably be lower than $3000 though.
And these panels are a far cry from "smear city" even at their OCed 155/160Hz options really.

Somewhat related: https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/4/2...monitor-42-48-inch-4k-hdmi-2-1-vrr-allm-specs
Are we talking about the same monitor here (PG32UQX)? Smear city it is. X32 which is now the X32S is limited to 1000-1200nits like the PG32UQXE. I'm hoping this allowed them to use a different panel (reported as AUO M320QAN02.8) since they aren't limited by thermals.

refresh_compliance.png

Are we talking about the same monitor here (PG32UQX)? Smear city it is.
Yes. No, it's not. The image you've posted shows average G2G transitions, and unless you're constantly running full screen grey to grey transitions then it likely won't apply to your content. These panels are absolutely fine for 144Hz refresh speed. They can be faster to take care of some outliers and remove the need for some overly aggressive OD but the same can be said about pretty much all LCD panels out there.

X32 which is now the X32S is limited to 1000-1200nits like the PG32UQXE. I'm hoping this allowed them to use a different panel (reported as AUO M320QAN02.8) since they aren't limited by thermals.
It will be the same panel or at least a very similar one but with a different backlight solution.

So bad news for people waiting for the Acer X32 FP. Delayed to Q2 '22 and costs $1800. :vomit:

I still don’t know what to buy… it’s even more difficult to decide than last year 😉

I just dont see how these 32" LCD's are going to compete against the 42" next gen OLED. They will be the same price, yet the OLED will destroy them in every way except in burn-in risk. It will be easy to overlook the size increase from 32", and if you really wanted you can 1:1 pixel map to a small screen size on the OLED.
I bet you the LG 42 will be at least 500$ less than all of these lcds. The monitor market is a sick joke

Brightness, always present ABL, lack of DP 1.4 DSC ports, WRGB subpixels, only 120Hz refresh, rigid TV stand, glossy screen coating. And burn-in. And 42" size which while being quite optimal for 4K resolution is quite large in fact and certainly not to everyones liking.
These OLEDs won't be much different from CX/C1 range, and the addition of a 42" model doesn't change much in their monitor usage.
PG42UQ looks more interesting in fact since it remedies some of these issues straight away but it will likely cost a lot more than a 42" C2.
Brightness is a non issue for OLED, at least for 99% of users. The contrast makes HDR looks 100x more impactful than even a 2000-nit LCD. WRGB is also not an issue for anything, including text. They also WILL be much different from the CX/C1. The early comparisons of the new panel vs the old panel is a big leap forward for W-OLED. And "only" a 120hz refresh rate, when a 3090 has a hard time running a lot of games even at 4k/60hz. I have a 3090/5950x and have to run games like Halo Infinite at the lowest settings to get a consistent 60hz at 4k. The glossy screen is incredible compared to matte garbage. At higher resolutions you dont want matte films blurring the pixels and adding grain, not to mention LG's glossy coating on my 77C9 is better at light reflections than the generic matte film on the M32U's and PG32U I had. Its also incredibly easy to get a VESA mount for any panel, including this upcoming 42" model.

Im hoping this new OLED causes a major disturbance in the current state of the monitor market. The Acer X32 FP is going to cost almost $2000, you could buy 2-3 of these new 42" OLED's for that price. Lmao.

Brightness is a non issue for OLED, at least for 99% of users.
It's can be an issue depending on the content and viewing conditions. There is a reason why some people prefer using dynamic tone mapping instead of HGIG on LG OLEDs, and that reason is relatively low HDR brightness of these panels.

WRGB is also not an issue for anything, including text.
It's a pretty huge issue for any color critical work since such pixel structure means that the colors depend on brightness in a non-standard fashion. Which is why LG's own professional OLED monitor isn't using their own OLED panel.

The early comparisons of the new panel vs the old panel is a big leap forward for W-OLED.
Haven't seen any early comparisons besides some impressions from the show floor which you can safely discard due to a number of reasons.
Evo vs regular panel has been compared in 1 series lineup and while the added nits of Evo panels are nice they aren't transformative when compared to the original panel and certainly aren't close to what LED LCDs are able to push out. And 42-48" Evo panels will be dimmer, as I've said already, likely close to what you get on a 55"+ non-Evo panel in terms of brightness. Which is another side effect of the WRGB pixel structure.

And "only" a 120hz refresh rate, when a 3090 has a hard time running a lot of games even at 4k/60hz.
3090 easily runs "a lot of games" at 4K/144.
It struggles with some singular newest titles but that's to be expected.
And 120Hz is low end by PC standards, no other way about it. I would definitely prefer 240 panel because it would essentially solve the need to limit fps anywhere. And OLED of all technologies should be best suited for such speeds. Thus 120Hz here is low.

The glossy screen is incredible compared to matte garbage.
The glossy garbage won't be bought by me for a monitor usage, ever. Keep this shit to TVs, or better kill it completely. Seeing your reflection even in a darkened room isn't something which I want from a display.

Im hoping this new OLED causes a major disturbance in the current state of the monitor market. The Acer X32 FP is going to cost almost $2000, you could buy 2-3 of these new 42" OLED's for that price. Lmao.
TVs have always cost considerably less than similarly sized monitors, for a multitude of reasons, and I don't see how another OLED TV would change that. As I've said, I expect monitors on the same OLED panel to cost more than a TV, and there are valid reasons for this. It will likely go even further in the following years, with monitors getting RGB OLED panels with 240+ Hz refreshes - it has already started with SD's QD-OLED.

You don't need higher Hz on an OLED panel though. At least from a motion clarity or response time perspective. The tech doesn't work the same.

You don't need higher Hz on an OLED panel though. At least from a motion clarity or response time perspective. The tech doesn't work the same.
I'd argue that you actually do exactly because OLED pixel response times mean that there is almost zero native panel blur which makes each frame very distinct from another. Thus to have a similar level of percievable motion fluidity you'd need to either run at higher fps or make extensive use of full frame motion blur - which I personally hate more often than not and which isn't always available.

I'd argue that you actually do exactly because OLED pixel response times mean that there is almost zero native panel blur which makes each frame very distinct from another. Thus to have a similar level of percievable motion fluidity you'd need to either run at higher fps or make extensive use of full frame motion blur - which I personally hate more often than not and which isn't always available.
Ummm... good point. Although 120fps looks pretty damn smooth. Some one must have done a deep dive on that some where. I know you can see/feel the difference betwen 60,120, 240hz etc etc on LCD. But a direct comparison to OLED would be cool.

At the end of the day sample-and-hold tech is still terrible for motion, regardless of refresh rate. I would urge anyone who thinks their 240+ hz LCD feels smooth, to go try a 60hz plasma for 30 seconds. Literally any plasma. Its amazing how much a difference pulsed displays make in perceived motion over sample-and-hold. I am not after high refresh rates for smoothness, I am after them for lower latency. A 120hz display has exactly half the scene to scene latency as a 60hz monitor, all else being equal. In fact OLED has the WORST feeling of smoothness for me due to being sample-and-hold and having virtually no pixel response delay.

Every time I fire up a movie on my ZT60 I get reminded just how bad motion is on todays displays.

TVs have always cost considerably less than similarly sized monitors, for a multitude of reasons, and I don't see how another OLED TV would change that. As I've said, I expect monitors on the same OLED panel to cost more than a TV, and there are valid reasons for this. It will likely go even further in the following years, with monitors getting RGB OLED panels with 240+ Hz refreshes - it has already started with SD's QD-OLED.
Heres your display port you so badly wanted: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1717...-rog-swift-oled-pg48uq-pg42uq-gaming-monitors

120 Hz is not enough for OLED with sample-and-hold. I can literally see every frame the pixels are so fast. Looks "slide-show-ish" to me.

Hopefully the 34" Samsung OLED panel at 175 Hz I'll get will have better motion clarity. Going from 8.33ms persistent images down to 5.71ms.

It's a pretty huge issue for any color critical work since such pixel structure means that the colors depend on brightness in a non-standard fashion. Which is why LG's own professional OLED monitor isn't using their own OLED panel.

Agreed. The WRGB pixel structure kills LG TVs as monitors for anything other than watching videos or playing games. Their OLED monitors using the JOLED RGB panels are really good, but too bad about the low brightness and 60Hz refresh limitation.

120 Hz is not enough for OLED with sample-and-hold. I can literally see every frame the pixels are so fast. Looks "slide-show-ish" to me.

Hopefully the 34" Samsung OLED panel at 175 Hz I'll get will have better motion clarity. Going from 8.33ms persistent images down to 5.71ms.

That QD-OLED is 3440x1440 🤮

Yes. No, it's not. The image you've posted shows average G2G transitions, and unless you're constantly running full screen grey to grey transitions then it likely won't apply to your content. These panels are absolutely fine for 144Hz refresh speed. They can be faster to take care of some outliers and remove the need for some overly aggressive OD but the same can be said about pretty much all LCD panels out there.
The point is G2G is best case scenario. It's even worse across the pixel response range. You and I are worlds apart in terms of what's considered acceptable motion clarity. My PG32UQX was unusable over 100hz with terrible smear.

It literally looked like enabling motion blur in a game.

The point is G2G is best case scenario. It's even worse across the pixel response range. You and I are worlds apart in terms of what's considered acceptable motion clarity. My PG32UQX was unusable over 100hz with terrible smear.

It literally looked like enabling motion blur in a game.

Debating about response times is almost pointless because it is in fact, a somewhat subjective matter. Kinda like refresh rate; some people are more than happy enough with say 90Hz while others want nothing less than 240Hz minimum because anything less is too blurry or whatever. The PG32UQX is too slow for you (and me too), but it is plenty fast for others apparently. Heck I've seen people who are satisfied with even slower monitors.

So this are the choices for me this year:

- LG 42C2 (my favourite so far, but no Heatsink/no EX Panel, just why?!)
- Asus PG42UQ (matter coating, meh)
- Samsung Neo G8 (Panel lottery is gonna be awful)
- Acer X32/FP (is it the same Panel as the PG32UQX? Yuck)
- Alienware/Samsung 34 QD-OLED (Release End 2022/Q1 2023 + Price will be cataclysmic and unfortunately 1440p instead of 4k)

Waiting now for Release and Reviews.
Im still disappointed asf, was hoping for more/better candidates with 4k@144+ and really good HDR.

Last edited:
Back