The 32 inch 4k IPS 144hz's...(Update - this party is started) (wait for it...)

I think they all are real close depending on what Panel "Family" you are buying into. The Asus as you know does not have the KVM. HDR sux on all of these.
To me, I am excited for the MSI MPG321UR-QD, because it's basically the Asus with a bag of chips (from what I understand), and cheaper!

To me, I am excited for the MSI MPG321UR-QD, because it's basically the Asus with a bag of chips (from what I understand), and cheaper!
Doesn't have an sRGB mode and I'm not sure that it has 48 Gbps HDMI 2.1. Should be close otherwise and can be a solid option if it will be considerably cheaper.

I also still wonder what's up with non-functioning variable OD on PG32UQ - maybe they'll fix it one day with a f/w update?

Doesn't have an sRGB mode and I'm not sure that it has 48 Gbps HDMI 2.1. Should be close otherwise and can be a solid option if it will be considerably cheaper.

I also still wonder what's up with non-functioning variable OD on PG32UQ - maybe they'll fix it one day with a f/w update?

Oh yea I was just finding out about the variable OD. Does the MSI not have it? I didn't know Asus's was broken though, what do you mean non-functioning?

Oh yea I was just finding out about the variable OD. Does the MSI not have it? I didn't know Asus's was broken though, what do you mean non-functioning?
Only PG32UQ was supposed to have it out of all of these monitors (the Gsync UQX one has it of course, courtesy of Gsync h/w). But from all the testing everywhere it doesn't seem as if it's working and/or active right now.

Reviewers really need to start testing whether these HDMI 2.1 monitors are full 48 Gbps or not.

Reviewers really need to start testing whether these HDMI 2.1 monitors are full 48 Gbps or not.
Some do. As said earlier, TFTCentral does and Rtings have also done it for some reviews that I’ve seen :)

I think they all are real close depending on what Panel "Family" you are buying into. The Asus as you know does not have the KVM. HDR sux on all of these.
Just got a M32U. On the HDR just saying it sux is useless feedback. While it does not give a cinematic version of HDR are people actually watching movies on their 32" screen? And as example. HDR does make a clear and noticeable improvement in HZD. It looks WAY better in HDR. So I think that criticism is just sort of a criticism without context.

I think the M32U is great. It has great color great motion and great clarity. Nobody seems to ever talk about clarity but there can be significant differences in picture clarity between models.

I am not a competitive gamer and don't play FPS in general, but in everything I have thrown at it in the RPG/ARPG. strategy, MMO, 3rd person space it has looked fantastic. Even something like POE looks dramatically better on this monitor. I sometimes people get so wrapped around measurements and statistics that they dont just go with their eyes.

Just got a M32U. On the HDR just saying it sux is useless feedback. While it does not give a cinematic version of HDR are people actually watching movies on their 32" screen? And as example. HDR does make a clear and noticeable improvement in HZD. It looks WAY better in HDR. So I think that criticism is just sort of a criticism without context.

I think the M32U is great. It has great color great motion and great clarity. Nobody seems to ever talk about clarity but there can be significant differences in picture clarity between models.

I am not a competitive gamer and don't play FPS in general, but in everything I have thrown at it in the RPG/ARPG. strategy, MMO, 3rd person space it has looked fantastic. Even something like POE looks dramatically better on this monitor. I sometimes people get so wrapped around measurements and statistics that they dont just go with their eyes.

Well, I watch everything I can on my 32" monitor, including TV shows if I can. That monitor is much better for watching Movies/TV on than my 75" Samsung in the same room, at least in my situation. If you look at how many degrees of view that a 75" monitor is at 16' and how many degrees of view a 32" is at 18" there is no comparison. So a 4K HDR 32" screen is very useful to me. I went after the PG32UQ for 144hz and HDR. The HDR is disappointing and has been hashed out in this thread elsewhere, so I didn't feel the need to define it any better than it sux.

But... for you I'll throw a few bits out there. I got the Asus because it did HDR600, most of the others did HDR400. It is washed out and very soft in HDR, totally screws up the sharpness of what you are watching. There is just a lot of soft washed out glow to everything. EXTREMELY disappointing.

Most IPS' currently stick to the abysmal 1000:1 contrast ratio, except LG. I couldn't believe how bad M32U's picture looked compared to my LG32UD99 (1600:1) when it comes to watching movies or having dark content in games. Washed out just like an old CRT.
I think LG's UltraFine monitor has even better contrast ratio. LG's gaming monitor seems also to be the only gaming monitor to have a better contrast ratio. It seems every other high-end gaming monitor sticks to 1000:1 (or VA with it's own problems). It's 2021 and we still have to put up with this.

I am really sick of poor contrast ratios, so I decided to give OLED a chance.

LG's most recent fast IPS panels are actually pretty bad in contrast, below 1000:1.

Anyone remember that Acer was supposed to release an XB323K? Basically an AUOptronics HDR600 version of the XV322QK, which is Innolux HDR400. Are they scrapping this monitor in favor of the X32S?

The MSI was looking pretty good...I found this review and it looks like he may be posting petty thorough reviews as he is on the same journey. This one calls out quite a bit of this monitor's shortcomings...

I just checked out the Acer X32S and that one looks great. If it has a KVM switch built in and no performance issues with G-Sync, I'm on board and ~1700USD doesn't seem terrible to me

Last edited:
X32S won't have G-Sync, hence why it's relatively cheap.
Acer was also supposed to release an X32 with G-Sync (basically a copy of the PG32UQ), but this monitor looks to be vapor.
And anyway the main deciding factor will be the response time, but I have doubts about it since these panels are all very similar.

X32S won't have G-Sync, hence why it's relatively cheap.
Acer was also supposed to release an X32 with G-Sync (basically a copy of the PG32UQ), but this monitor looks to be vapor.
And anyway the main deciding factor will be the response time, but I have doubts about it since these panels are all very similar.

The X32S will have 512 zone FALD while the PG32UQX has 1152 zones. I don't know whether or not this means the panel itself is actually different, but there's a chance it might be. And if it is different then it might not be as slow as the Asus. Anyways I'm also excited for the X32S, I just hope it actually comes out...

Just got the MSI MPG321UR-QD. There's noticeable flickering and pixel inversion artifacts when Freesync is enabled. :facepalm:

How come I take the time to read these threads start to finish only to conclude I need to wait and read another thread start to finish a few years down the road :unsure:
If you're waiting for a perfect monitor then you will likely die before it will appear.
Just get what suits you now in size/Hz/panel tech and then upgrade once (if) something considerably better will become available.

Well, I watch everything I can on my 32" monitor, including TV shows if I can. That monitor is much better for watching Movies/TV on than my 75" Samsung in the same room, at least in my situation. If you look at how many degrees of view that a 75" monitor is at 16' and how many degrees of view a 32" is at 18" there is no comparison. So a 4K HDR 32" screen is very useful to me. I went after the PG32UQ for 144hz and HDR. The HDR is disappointing and has been hashed out in this thread elsewhere, so I didn't feel the need to define it any better than it sux.

But... for you I'll throw a few bits out there. I got the Asus because it did HDR600, most of the others did HDR400. It is washed out and very soft in HDR, totally screws up the sharpness of what you are watching. There is just a lot of soft washed out glow to everything. EXTREMELY disappointing.
My M32U had a power issue so I had to return it and "upgraded" to a PG32UQ. HDR was abysmal. HDR looked quite decent on the M32U but I am not going to go for round 3

My M32U had a power issue so I had to return it and "upgraded" to a PG32UQ. HDR was abysmal. HDR looked quite decent on the M32U but I am not going to go for round 3
Interesting PG32UQ has HDR600 and M32U is HDR400. So theoretically it should be the opposite.

I really doubt that M32U's HDR is in any way better than PG32UQ's. Both are likely to be basically unusable.
Doubt all you want I am just sharing my experience. I actually thought the PG32UQ looked terrible in general. Maybe mine was defective. It is most certainly going back.

Doubt all you want I am just sharing my experience. I actually thought the PG32UQ looked terrible in general. Maybe mine was defective. It is most certainly going back.
PG32UQ doesn't look "terrible" by any stretch of imagination. Maybe you did get a defective one.

How many local dimming zones does the M32U have?
I'm starting to think I'd rather not have any Local dimming than the 16 or 32-zone version some of these monitors use. I think this could be why these HDR600 monitors look terrible.

How many local dimming zones does the M32U have?
I'm starting to think I'd rather not have any Local dimming than the 16 or 32-zone version some of these monitors use. I think this could be why these HDR600 monitors look terrible.
16. You can turn off local dimming on all of these monitors even in HDR. Won't help in the slightest, the panels are simply incapable of the contrast needed for anything close to HDR.
And tbf I'd say that local dimming on a PG32UQ works okay'ish - it's kinda usable even in SDR although this depends on the content obviously.

Is there a monitor on the market which has:
4k, +120hz, 32" with color accuracy, VRR, +1000 nits and +5000 dimming zones/bloomless?

Price does not matter.

+5000 dimming zones/bloomless?
4K is 8.3 million pixels. Unless there will be a backlight with this number of LEDs there will always be some degree of blooming on a LCD+FALD displays.
And to answer your question - no, there is not. The highest FALD which is available now is 1152 LEDs.

4K is 8.3 million pixels. Unless there will be a backlight with this number of LEDs there will always be some degree of blooming on a LCD+FALD displays.
And to answer your question - no, there is not. The highest FALD which is available now is 1152 LEDs.
I should have written 'minimal blooming' sorry about that.

4k, +120hz, 32" with color accuracy, VRR, +1000 nits and +5000 dimming zones/bloomless?

Price does not matter.

There are 10k and 1m dimming zone panels being worked on. None have been released, and I suspect they'll be targeting professional video/image editors primarily, and so they might not support 120hz or VRR.

IIRC someone started working on a double stack LCD again, which in theory should be good for per pixel dimming and something like 1,000,000:1 (IPS) or 10,000,000 (VA) static contrast ratios. But they're much farther down the pipeline, and part of why work on them was paused before was that with twice as much LCD stuff in the way they needed significantly brighter backlighting for a given user visible brightness level and used a lot more power as a result. That could leave them with peak brightness levels that are more like OLED than conventional LCD.

Right now there's nothing that can do all of that. Avoiding blooming needs OLED, but OLED can't hit that brightness level.

There are 10k and 1m dimming zone panels being worked on. None have been released, and I suspect they'll be targeting professional video/image editors primarily, and so they might not support 120hz or VRR.

IIRC someone started working on a double stack LCD again, which in theory should be good for per pixel dimming and something like 1,000,000:1 (IPS) or 10,000,000 (VA) static contrast ratios. But they're much farther down the pipeline, and part of why work on them was paused before was that with twice as much LCD stuff in the way they needed significantly brighter backlighting for a given user visible brightness level and used a lot more power as a result. That could leave them with peak brightness levels that are more like OLED than conventional LCD.

Right now there's nothing that can do all of that. Avoiding blooming needs OLED, but OLED can't hit that brightness level.
Not to mention the massive heat output.

Price does not matter.
NO, there is not, maybe in 3-5 years.

Reactions: jt39
like this
Been following this thread for a while. Ended up getting a M32U, and then the PG32UQ. Both were complete junk. The M32U had backlight bleed and less than great P3 gamut coverage, the PG32UQ had barely sub 10ms response time and that was at 144hz. Any high OD setting resulting in inverse ghosting. I am not sure how any of you can accept these monitors at their price points. I also have an MSI PS321URV and the M32U and PG32UQ are toys in comparison. The MSI has better colors, virtually no ghosting, and zero backlight bleed. The image quality on the MSI is night and day compared to the Gigabyte and Asus monitor listed above. The only downside is it is only 60hz. Oh well, I will wait until this crop of 4k 144hz monitors gets replaced with something worthwhile. What a disappointment.

Back