The 32 inch 4k IPS 144hz's...(Update - this party is started) (wait for it...)

I tried several games and mostly I get lower Hz. Sometimes 60-70, Doom'16 only 100, others 80. Only an old game got me close to 144Hz. If that is the norm, I wonder if 144Hz is even worth it, if it will not be actually reached most of the time.

I run RTX 2080 and AMD 3700X.

2080 is basically GTX 1080 Ti performance which is getting a little long in the tooth for 4k. If you were to upgrade to a 3080 Ti then you would probably get close to double performance so if you were getting 60fps in a game before then you could easily expect around 120 with a 3080 Ti assuming no CPU limitations. Plus you don't always HAVE to play at maxed settings. Just dialing things down can get you 20+% more performance without sacrificing visuals at all.

FYI for PA32UCG owners - ASUS just released a new firmware that supposedly helps minimize halos.

Thanks man! I found the halos to be minimal already, but the update I'm looking forward to is the Dolby Vision update that was supposedly supposed to come out this month.
All 7 of you must be thrilled.

I'm just messing around. Waiting until one pops up under $4000 and I'll buy or maybe wait a year because the UCX can be had for $2000 now.

I wonder how applicable this could be toward the PG32UQX. I know the PG27UQ received a single firmware update during it's life.

I had a hard time choosing between the two monitors, but the price felt close enough to me that I just went for the model with HDMI 2.1. I've heard the UCX has better HDR in higher refresh rate scenarios, but to my eye HDR gaming is excellent on this monitor. I'm also not a competitive FPS person either.

I tried several games and mostly I get lower Hz. Sometimes 60-70, Doom'16 only 100, others 80. Only an old game got me close to 144Hz. If that is the norm, I wonder if 144Hz is even worth it, if it will not be actually reached most of the time.

I run RTX 2080 and AMD 3700X.

4k60 gaming has been a nice spot to be in for the last 7-8 years because everything has been GPU limited so you could get away with just upgrading your video card and punting on the CPU. That’s actually made 4k60 gaming much cheaper than 1440p 144hz gaming which required CPU + GPU upgrades consistently.

Now that we have high refresh panels you have to budget for CPU upgrades as well to push higher frame rates. That said we are back into the era high CPU gains with the competition AMD is providing.

4k60 gaming has been a nice spot to be in for the last 7-8 years because everything has been GPU limited so you could get away with just upgrading your video card and punting on the CPU. That’s actually made 4k60 gaming much cheaper than 1440p 144hz gaming which required CPU + GPU upgrades consistently.

Now that we have high refresh panels you have to budget for CPU upgrades as well to push higher frame rates. That said we are back into the era high CPU gains with the competition AMD is providing.

I can only assume you are confused. The GPU still does most of the work at 4k no matter the speed and the CPU has little impact compared to the GPU at 4k.

a RTX 3090 paired with a 3700X still gets similar speed as a 5950x paired with a RTX3090 at 4k.

Last edited:
I can only assume you are confused. The GPU still does most of the work at 4k no matter the speed and the CPU has little impact compared to the GPU at 4k.

a RTX 3090 paired with a 3700X still gets similar speed as a 5950x paired with a RTX3090 at 4k.
The CPU isn't doing the rendering in modern games; but it still has to do all the other work to update the world between frames so the GPU knows what to draw differently. At 60Hz it has 16.67ms to do that, at 144hz only 6.94ms. Depending on the title that can be a significant squeeze or almost irrelevant.

It depends if the game has any cpu bottlenecks. I tend to play rpgs and rts games which are often cpu limited even at 4k. I saw a good ~15% improvement in some games (like pathfinder rpgs) at 4k120hz going to a 11700k from a 9900k.

Last edited:
So whats the scoop are any of these monitors equipped with 40 or 48Gbps HDMI 2.1 ports?

48Gbps
ASUS PG32UQ

24Gbps
Gigabyte M32U, FI32U

Not sure about the Acer XV322QK. The 28" XV282K is 24Gbps but not sure if that has any bearing on the larger model.

I haven't looked into any of the MSI or ViewSonic models that have been announced.

48Gbps
ASUS PG32UQ

24Gbps
Gigabyte M32U, FI32U

Not sure about the Acer XV322QK. The 28" XV282K is 24Gbps but not sure if that has any bearing on the larger model.

I haven't looked into any of the MSI or ViewSonic models that have been announced.
Thanks man.

It depends if the game has any cpu bottlenecks. I tend to play rpgs and rts games which are often cpu limited even at 4k. I saw a good ~15% improvement in some games (like pathfinder rpgs) at 4k120hz going to a 11700k from a 9900k.
Ahh those games are not graphic intensive games at all.... I see your point. Sorry just assumed people were pairing these Monitors with 3080/TI/3090 and 6800/XT/6900 to play graphics demanding FPS games / open world games. Forgot about strategy and Isometric RPGS etc

Ahh those games are not graphic intensive games at all.... I see your point. Sorry just assumed people were pairing these Monitors with 3080/TI/3090 and 6800/XT/6900 to play graphics demanding FPS games / open world games. Forgot about strategy and Isometric RPGS etc
Some of us play multiple genres. Some of the stuff I play is benefiting nicely from the ugprade from a 1080 to a 3080; at the other end I have stuff that wouldn't make the iGP in an atom based system break a sweat. And also some stuff in the middle. Playing Path of Exile solo I'm getting a solid 4k 60 FPS on my current setup (need to turn off the FPS limiter at some point to see what I could get with a faster display); but despite a lot of engine improvements needed to port to last generation consoles it still tends to be fairly CPU heavy; so I wouldn't be surprised if my older i7-4790k would be CPU bound at 4k 144, especially if I was in a party.

I used the M32U for some days now. I really like it, but one thing bothers me. The black on the panel is too bright. I played some bit of Alien Isolation and had my LG IPS at the side and the Gigabyte is so much smoother with 144Hz, such a great experience, but the game has many dark areas and the LG looks overwhelmingly better with its deeper black. It is so frustrating that you can't have both in one monitor.

I came across another Gigabyte, the AORUS FV43U. It is a 43" 4k VA. It is even said to have better colour accuracy than the IPS (about 98% Adobe RGB), because of the quantum dot tech and much better blacks, of course. Also 144Hz.
43" is too large and heavy for me and too big for UHD resolution, but at a distance the lower resolution for the size may not be a big problem. Problem is, however, VA's black smearing and viewing angles.

It's quite frustrating. I mostly play stealth, spooky or space games, in the evenings. Lots of darkness in the games and the M32U black colour is not a satisfying experience. I wish there was something you could do to make the IPS black darker.

Some of us play multiple genres. Some of the stuff I play is benefiting nicely from the ugprade from a 1080 to a 3080; at the other end I have stuff that wouldn't make the iGP in an atom based system break a sweat. And also some stuff in the middle. Playing Path of Exile solo I'm getting a solid 4k 60 FPS on my current setup (need to turn off the FPS limiter at some point to see what I could get with a faster display); but despite a lot of engine improvements needed to port to last generation consoles it still tends to be fairly CPU heavy; so I wouldn't be surprised if my older i7-4790k would be CPU bound at 4k 144, especially if I was in a party.
I get around 110 FPS maxed everything in POE with 3080. If I turn global illuimination off and leave everything else it is like 170FPS

I get around 110 FPS maxed everything in POE with 3080. If I turn global illuimination off and leave everything else it is like 170FPS
I couldn't figure out what was capping my FPS at my current monitors 60hz, but from the frame timing overlay I'd guestimate with everything maxed and vulcan I'd be getting closer to 100fps than 110 playing toxic rain in white maps with my CPU taking longer than the GPU about 1/3rd of the time. I saw some posts on reddit over the summer showing that older CPUs were a significant bottleneck on highly juiced maps (and I think also 6 person parties); lt looks like mines age is starting to show a few signs of its age even in normal content.

I used the M32U for some days now. I really like it, but one thing bothers me. The black on the panel is too bright. I played some bit of Alien Isolation and had my LG IPS at the side and the Gigabyte is so much smoother with 144Hz, such a great experience, but the game has many dark areas and the LG looks overwhelmingly better with its deeper black. It is so frustrating that you can't have both in one monitor.

I came across another Gigabyte, the AORUS FV43U. It is a 43" 4k VA. It is even said to have better colour accuracy than the IPS (about 98% Adobe RGB), because of the quantum dot tech and much better blacks, of course. Also 144Hz.
43" is too large and heavy for me and too big for UHD resolution, but at a distance the lower resolution for the size may not be a big problem. Problem is, however, VA's black smearing and viewing angles.

It's quite frustrating. I mostly play stealth, spooky or space games, in the evenings. Lots of darkness in the games and the M32U black colour is not a satisfying experience. I wish there was something you could do to make the IPS black darker.
LG IPS - you must mean OLED based on your description. Without a doubt, OLED delivers true black compared to IPS and VA panels. For any horror games, OLED provides the best immersion.

LG IPS - you must mean OLED based on your description. Without a doubt, OLED delivers true black compared to IPS and VA panels. For any horror games, OLED provides the best immersion.

I mean the IPS on my LG (32UD-99). Rtings noted in their review the monitor to have the best contrast from all IPS they have tested so far. Somehow LG made an IPS panel with better blacks than any other and I wonder why it's not a thing with IPS panels and nobody talks about it. It's not as good as VA or OLED, but significantly better than the M32U and probably most other IPS monitors (at least those I tried).

Reactions: XoR_
like this
My PG32UQ came in yesterday. This is my first monitor which is faster than 75hz (though that was probably 15 years ago that I had my old CRT - since then I've just been at 60hz). So while I don't have much experience with other points of comparison, I figured I'd give my impressions anyway.

My impressions come from using this monitor with the Xbox Series X. I do have my laptop connected, but the laptop is old and can't output more than 4k60. Here's how it looks to me:
- Playing first person shooter games at 30fps: My character and the whole game world seems juddery. The additional input lag is noticeable.
- Playing first person shooter games at 60fps: It feels to me like my character is moving smoothly, but the game world is a bit juddery. Turning slowly results in being able to see everything, but turning at a medium speed results in the landscape skipping around. This is very noticeably better than 30fps and I would consider it a competitive advantage.
- Playing first person shooter games at 120fps (without ELMB Sync): It feels to me like my character is moving smoothly, and the game world is significantly less juddery. Turning at a medium speed results in being able to see everything, but turning at a rapid speed results in the landscape skipping around. I have not yet tested with a mouse and keyboard, but with a controller I would not consider this a competitive advantage for anyone outside of highly skilled players. I *think* it would be a competitive advantage when using mouse and keyboard.
- Playing first person shooter games at 120fps (with ELMB Sync): Same as above, except I have a bit more motion clarity at the expense of the monitor locking to a lower brightness setting than I would otherwise select. Note that this subjectively felt a lot like my old CRT, except maybe a bit smoother. I haven't felt like anything was that smooth in 15 years.

One note about using this monitor with the Xbox Series X - I set the Xbox in the system menu to output at 120hz. I then noticed that the built-in FPS counter in the menu for the monitor showed 120. I went into a game that supports 120fps (Halo: MCC), and the FPS counter seemed to be working (i.e. it was showing 120 with occasional dips). I then went into a game that does not support 120fps (The Outer Worlds). The FPS counter for the monitor still showed 120, and ELMB Sync (which requires >80 fps to enable) could be freely turned on and off. The game world, though, was very clearly updating at 60 frames per second. So the Xbox may be doing some kind of frame doubling or something. I'm not really sure. But it's cool that ELMB Sync can be used at 60 fps, and it also doesn't seem to be distractingly strobing (meaning that it's probably strobing twice per frame due to the frame doubling). I've read a lot about this stuff, and I've never read anything like this, so I thought it would be worth pointing out.

The box for the PG32UQ contained a printed out calibration report just for the sRGB mode, so it seems like the other picture modes have not been factory calibrated. As such, I've been using the sRGB mode. I read a little bit about it, and Tech Spot recommends using sRGB mode, while TFT Central recommends calibrating it yourself.

Techspot: https://www.techspot.com/review/2332-asus-rog-pg32uq/

Luckily for buyers, the PG32UQ does have a functional sRGB Mode which is what I would recommend for using this display outside HDR content. It has some limitations including locked white point controls, but greyscale performance is okay, and the gamut clamp is effective with a saturation deltaE ITP average of 3.25 and ColorChecker average of 3.58. It’s not perfectly accurate but it’s generally very good and far better than the default mode.

TFT Central: https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus-rog-swift-pg32uq

Preset mode: Racing Mode
Brightness: 14 (for 120 nits)
Contrast: 80 (default)
Gamma:2.2
Colour Temp setting: User Mode
RGB values: 94, 99, 100

Side-by-side with my Samsung U32H850 (which is a 32 inch 4k60 VA panel), set to similar brightness settings, it subjectively feels like the PG32UQ has better color accuracy and more accurate white levels.

One final note is that when I first booted up a game running at 4k120 on the Xbox Series X (I was playing Halo: MCC), it did not feel any different to me at all from 60hz. I actually wasn't sure if it was working (it was). I played for about 10 minutes and then I manually set the Xbox to only output at 60hz, and then went back into the game. The difference was suddenly quite noticeable. 60fps now looked like crap. (And that's the story of how I became a high-fps snob in 10 minutes.)

Last edited:
My PG32UQ came in yesterday. This is my first monitor which is faster than 75hz (though that was probably 15 years ago that I had my old CRT - since then I've just been at 60hz). So while I don't have much experience with other points of comparison, I figured I'd give my impressions anyway.

My impressions come from using this monitor with the Xbox Series X. I do have my laptop connected, but the laptop is old and can't output more than 4k60. Here's how it looks to me:
- Playing first person shooter games at 30fps: My character and the whole game world seems juddery. The additional input lag is noticeable.
- Playing first person shooter games at 60fps: It feels to me like my character is moving smoothly, but the game world is a bit juddery. Turning slowly results in being able to see everything, but turning at a medium speed results in the landscape skipping around. This is very noticeably better than 30fps and I would consider it a competitive advantage.
- Playing first person shooter games at 120fps (without ELMB Sync): It feels to me like my character is moving smoothly, and the game world is significantly less juddery. Turning at a medium speed results in being able to see everything, but turning at a rapid speed results in the landscape skipping around. I have not yet tested with a mouse and keyboard, but with a controller I would not consider this a competitive advantage for anyone outside of highly skilled players. I *think* it would be a competitive advantage when using mouse and keyboard.
- Playing first person shooter games at 120fps (with ELMB Sync): Same as above, except I have a bit more motion clarity at the expense of the monitor locking to a lower brightness setting than I would otherwise select. Note that this subjectively felt a lot like my old CRT, except maybe a bit smoother. I haven't felt like anything was that smooth in 15 years.

One note about using this monitor with the Xbox Series X - I set the Xbox in the system menu to output at 120hz. I then noticed that the built-in FPS counter in the menu for the monitor showed 120. I went into a game that supports 120fps (Halo: MCC), and the FPS counter seemed to be working (i.e. it was showing 120 with occasional dips). I then went into a game that does not support 120fps (The Outer Worlds). The FPS counter for the monitor still showed 120, and ELMB Sync (which requires >80 fps to enable) could be freely turned on and off. The game world, though, was very clearly updating at 60 frames per second. So the Xbox may be doing some kind of frame doubling or something. I'm not really sure. But it's cool that ELMB Sync can be used at 60 fps, and it also doesn't seem to be distractingly strobing (meaning that it's probably strobing twice per frame due to the frame doubling). I've read a lot about this stuff, and I've never read anything like this, so I thought it would be worth pointing out.

The box for the PG32UQ contained a printed out calibration report just for the sRGB mode, so it seems like the other picture modes have not been factory calibrated. As such, I've been using the sRGB mode. I read a little bit about it, and Tech Spot recommends using sRGB mode, while TFT Central recommends calibrating it yourself.

Techspot: https://www.techspot.com/review/2332-asus-rog-pg32uq/

TFT Central: https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus-rog-swift-pg32uq

Side-by-side with my Samsung U32H850 (which is a 32 inch 4k60 VA panel), set to similar brightness settings, it subjectively feels like the PG32UQ has better color accuracy and more accurate white levels.

One final note is that when I first booted up a game running at 4k120 on the Xbox Series X (I was playing Halo: MCC), it did not feel any different to me at all from 60hz. I actually wasn't sure if it was working (it was). I played for about 10 minutes and then I manually set the Xbox to only output at 60hz, and then went back into the game. The difference was suddenly quite noticeable. 60fps now looked like crap. (And that's the story of how I became a high-fps snob in 10 minutes.)

Your review reminds me of being an Audiophile. You don't notice the move up as much as the move back down for sure.

I also came from the same Samsung and ended up with the Asus. Don't have the right GPU yet but the brightness of this monitor is like the freakin' Sun comparably. I have it cranked way down. The color as stated here is much better than the Samsung which is a "Good" 4K monitor. The saturation and Brightness were really pushed out of the box. Turned way down on both and backed out some red and green, had a slight yellow cast IMO on mine.

It means you like most people made gross tactical error. The best course of action 15 years ago was fighting for desk space by getting more of it and having LCD + CRT instead of having more of it by removing CRT.

And because I made similar error 13 years ago so I feel you 😖
I did correct this later by getting SONY GDM-FW900 though :)

I do have my laptop connected, but the laptop is old and can't output more than 4k60
HDMI 2.0 has 120Hz mode. It is only with 4:2:0 subsampling and at 8-bit so won't give the best image quality and for desktop you will still need 60Hz but certainly 120Hz should be usable for games.

Use sRGB mode.
Calibrating yourself on monitor without hardware calibration means using monitor in wide-gamut mode and relying on applications to support gamut clamping. Something like image editors support it, even web browsers but even here only for static stuff and videos won't be fully corrected. It is not useful solution. Not to mention color probes which can work on such monitor are quite expensive.

I would not use word "crap" for 60fps. The 30fps is crap.
120fps is in some sense the same exact improvement going from 60fps as 60fps is going from 30fps. In other sense it is smaller improvement because at 30fps you get frame once 33.3ms, at 60fps once 16.6ms and at 120fps once 8.3ms. Less difference in frame times going 120 from 60 than 60 from 30 and this is why it feels like less improvement. You would have to go something like 1000fps to get frame times to 1ms to approach the kind of difference like between moving from 30fps to 60fps.

As a console player I think 60fps is good and enough. I do not even expect 120fps to be in too many games this console generation. It will be more like 60fps console generation (like Playstation 2 🙃) and it is fine. Still many games do have 30fps mode and you would need to use it to get 4K resolution. The hardware is simply too weak. I just hope no game developer comes with idea gamers will be fine if they only make 30fps possible. I personally hate 30fps and think it should never be a thing. I would rather have all games on PS3/X360 and PS4/XBone generations at 60fps with worse visuals than 30fps. On the other hand I have no similar feelings for 120fps and I think 60fps is the correct framerate to target for consoles (not PC though, they should never 60fps-lock games on PC goddamit!!1). Especially given most people do not own 120Hz displays and won't for the foreseeable future.

Does the ASUS PG32UQ support 4k144Hz 4:4:4 over HDMI 2.1? Is there any overclocking/DSC required for this?

Does the ASUS PG32UQ support 4k144Hz 4:4:4 over HDMI 2.1?
Yes.

Is there any overclocking/DSC required for this?
144Hz is a panel OC mode on HDMI inputs on PG32UQ. You'll have to enable it in monitor menu otherwise the highest refresh rate available is 120Hz. Hardly an issue as the panel's native refresh rate is 144Hz so every panel will be capable of running at this refresh.

As for DSC technically it's not needed over FRL4/48Gbps HDMI 2.1 connection when outputting 4K/144Hz/RGB. Whether or not it is being used depends on the output device though as it can still use DSC for such mode even if it's not needed. DSC is lossless though so it doesn't matter.

Yes.

144Hz is a panel OC mode on HDMI inputs on PG32UQ. You'll have to enable it in monitor menu otherwise the highest refresh rate available is 120Hz. Hardly an issue as the panel's native refresh rate is 144Hz so every panel will be capable of running at this refresh.

As for DSC technically it's not needed over FRL4/48Gbps HDMI 2.1 connection when outputting 4K/144Hz/RGB. Whether or not it is being used depends on the output device though as it can still use DSC for such mode even if it's not needed. DSC is lossless though so it doesn't matter.
Are you stating that the PG32UQ has 48Gbps ports?
So far various monitors support 24 or 40 or 48 Gbps ports, its a crime this is not more clear in the specifications.
I heard the PG32UQ was 40Gbps but that was just a passing mention I saw, not some testing.

Are you stating that the PG32UQ has 48Gbps ports?
So far various monitors support 24 or 40 or 48 Gbps ports, its a crime this is not more clear in the specifications.
I heard the PG32UQ was 40Gbps but that was just a passing mention I saw, not some testing.
PG32UQ has 48 Gbps HDMI 2.1, was confirmed in TFTCentral review.

I decided not to keep the M32U. Good monitor, but I can no longer accept gaming and watching movies at a 1000:1 contrast ratio. As if like there is an oily film on the panel. Other than that, for general use and competitive gaming an excellent monitor.

Any thoughts regarding the Philips 329M1RV that was announced last week?

UHD 144hz IPS
DP 1.4
HDMI 2.1
USB-C 65W
DisplayHDR400
500 nits
Freesync Premium and Adaptive Sync

No FALD though and 1000:1 contrast. For some reason the 450 nits 27 Inch version has DisplayHDR600, while the 32 inch has 500 nits with DisplayHDR400

Why is the 32UQ so sought after even though it seems inferior overall, dis-regarding the HDMI I guess.
Inferior to what? It has a bit slower panel than FI/M32U but with better colors. Other features are also in it's favor. So unless you're planning on running the thing at 155Hz all the time (somewhat unlikely scenario for another several years for a 4K monitor IMO) PG32UQ seems like a better all around option than the rest of 32"/144Hz monitors.

Reactions: T_A
like this
Inferior to what? It has a bit slower panel than FI/M32U but with better colors. Other features are also in it's favor. So unless you're planning on running the thing at 155Hz all the time (somewhat unlikely scenario for another several years for a 4K monitor IMO) PG32UQ seems like a better all around option than the rest of 32"/144Hz monitors.

It's the only one I was interested in. It has awesome color. I came from a "Good" 32" 4K monitor and I was surprised how much better downloaded video content looked. Especially 10 bit. I don't really understand why this is, but it kinda jumps out at you.

Don't get me wrong, I think color is incredibly important, and I always calibrate as soon as I can. But from the reviews I got the impression that the color differences between the other panels were quite similar, and only had minor differences that in reality would not affect day to day use. Plus panel lottery really is always at stakes. None of these monitors have HDR that is really even useable from what I gathered. Plus the Asus is one of the few models without a KVM which imo is incredibly useful to people who use separate work and gaming PC's, aka, Mac for for work, PC for gaming.

And if you are truly buying a monitor for accurate color reproduction for something like professional work, you would not likely buy one of these panels, I would think.

Don't get me wrong, I think color is incredibly important, and I always calibrate as soon as I can. But from the reviews I got the impression that the color differences between the other panels were quite similar, and only had minor differences that in reality would not affect day to day use. Plus panel lottery really is always at stakes. None of these monitors have HDR that is really even useable from what I gathered. Plus the Asus is one of the few models without a KVM which imo is incredibly useful to people who use separate work and gaming PC's, aka, Mac for for work, PC for gaming.

And if you are truly buying a monitor for accurate color reproduction for something like professional work, you would not likely buy one of these panels, I would think.

I think they all are real close depending on what Panel "Family" you are buying into. The Asus as you know does not have the KVM. HDR sux on all of these.

Back