The 32 inch 4k IPS 144hz's...(Update - this party is started) (wait for it...)

All 7 of you must be thrilled.

I'm just messing around. Waiting until one pops up under $4000 and I'll buy or maybe wait a year because the UCX can be had for $2000 now.

I wonder how applicable this could be toward the PG32UQX. I know the PG27UQ received a single firmware update during it's life.

Look like the same Monitor? Which label do you like the best? The Finches or the ROG Eyeball
or whatever it is!

If they use the same base panel there won't be huge differences, but panels are binned into multiple grades so the cheaper ones could on average have worse backlight bleed, etc. And it's always possible one of the OEM's might screw something up in their firmware and make it signifcantly worse on some front than it needs to be.

Now using M32U, coming from a curved 35 inch wide screen, my eyes are f***ed up because of the old monitor. M32U feels convexed right now, going to need time to get used to it.
Everything "on" over hdmi 2.1 works, 144hz, HDR, 10bit, Including g-sync compatible. Image of youtube video blackscreen:
IMG_0133.png

My old VA panel did a lot better job of that, this is probably the only thing I dislike about the monitor. I don't use my computer in the dark, so it's not a deal breaker for me.
HDR is ok, about what you would expect without mini led dimming zones. Watched the LTT video and compared to this, in shadow of the tomb raider, it doesn't blow out the image like it did in LTT cheap monitors, but there are times when the screen colors feels "un-graded".
Colors, response time, sharpness all great otherwise.
I'll be keeping this until an awesome 5k2k hdmi2.1 monitor comes out.

My PG32UQ arrived yesterday from Amazon and seems to be defective. It powers itself off after 5-20 minutes of use and then refuses to power back on for 5-10 minutes, even if I pull the power cable. I've only got a couple days to return it and no option for replacement.

My PG32UQ arrived yesterday from Amazon and seems to be defective. It powers itself off after 5-20 minutes of use and then refuses to power back on for 5-10 minutes, even if I pull the power cable. I've only got a couple days to return it and no option for replacement.

That pretty much Blows.

Any first impressions to speak of?

Well, it's different. I don't really have a GPU yet, I'm using a Titan X. I'm coming from a Samsung U32H850, a 32" 4K VA panel. The color and display is very crisp. I've never had an IPS panel. I'm not really the best guy to review something like this because I don't game "much", and like I said I'm waiting for GPU prices to get somewhat reasonable. I like it so far though. The color gamut is pretty sweet. Controls are kinda strange. I couldn't figure out how to turn it on! Somebody else mentioned that in a thread and I was like yeah right. But I couldn't figure out how to turn it on which scared me a bit. Thought it was dead out of the box.

It was super bright out of the box. I cranked it way down. The HDR setting kinda blows you out. I haven't looked at a Movie yet to see how it looks, but I've "collected" quite a few HDR movies, so we'll see how that goes.

Tiny bezel is nice.

Overall I'm liking it so far. Sorry I could offer you more.

Well, it's different. I don't really have a GPU yet, I'm using a Titan X. I'm coming from a Samsung U32H850, a 32" 4K VA panel. The color and display is very crisp. I've never had an IPS panel. I'm not really the best guy to review something like this because I don't game "much", and like I said I'm waiting for GPU prices to get somewhat reasonable. I like it so far though. The color gamut is pretty sweet. Controls are kinda strange. I couldn't figure out how to turn it on! Somebody else mentioned that in a thread and I was like yeah right. But I couldn't figure out how to turn it on which scared me a bit. Thought it was dead out of the box.

It was super bright out of the box. I cranked it way down. The HDR setting kinda blows you out. I haven't looked at a Movie yet to see how it looks, but I've "collected" quite a few HDR movies, so we'll see how that goes.

Tiny bezel is nice.

Overall I'm liking it so far. Sorry I could offer you more.

Thanks! I'm glad to hear that regular people are finally getting the PG32UQ. And this is actually particularly interesting since I happen to also be coming from the U32H850. Hopefully mine ships soon. I ordered on the 27th.

Thanks! I'm glad to hear that regular people are finally getting the PG32UQ. And this is actually particularly interesting since I happen to also be coming from the U32H850. Hopefully mine ships soon. I ordered on the 27th.
It's tons brighter and better color than the Samsung. The text seems crisper as well. I definitely am liking it over the Samsung. Samsung was good for quite a while, it's going to entertain my wife for a while on her PC. I didn't get notification of shipping till Late last night and it landed on my Doorstep today so hope you'll get yours soon. Come back and tell us what you think about it.

I got the M32U today. I have a problem with the colour. It looks like 6000k out the box, very yellow, and in the settings there is no way to adjust the temperature to 6500k. There are only RGB values and I tweaked it to look close to my LG, but there is still this yellow tint. Colours looks bleak and lifeless.

Am I doing something wrong or is that how it is, because this is quite terrible.

Have you tried different cables or compared the picture on hdmi vs displayport?

What is it reporting in your graphics card configuration program for color depth refresh rates available etc.

Im sure you probably know this but might look yellowish if hdr is on depending on settings.

I got the M32U today. I have a problem with the colour. It looks like 6000k out the box, very yellow, and in the settings there is no way to adjust the temperature to 6500k. There are only RGB values and I tweaked it to look close to my LG, but there is still this yellow tint. Colours looks bleak and lifeless.

Am I doing something wrong or is that how it is, because this is quite terrible.

TFTCentral suggest RGB values of 92,91,100 for the FI32U. I'm currently using 96,95,100 on the M32U but I still have to fully calibrate it with the spectrometer.

Edit : also, make sure that BFI / Aim Stabilizer Sync is off.

Last edited:
Reactions: res
like this
So, I have a M32U on hand if you have questions about this model.

Initial impressions, coming from an Acer Predator 32" 4k60hz with hardware G-Sync :

- the improved refresh rate is really nice, in games but also for desktop use (scrolling text, moving windows)
- on a GTX 1080 ti connected via DP I can set a custom resolution at 122hz with full RGB non HDR (144hz drops to 4:2:2)
- there is a bit more ips glare than on previous monitor.
- backlight bleed and uniformity are acceptable.
- bezels are thin.
- glossy plastics should have been avoided and gigabyte branding should have been less prominent.
- haven't tested the KVM feature.

It is globally meeting my expectations BUT... there is a stuck green pixel near the center of the screen, mainly visible on black backgrounds.

The strange thing is that the higher the refresh rate the less visible that pixel is. It is obvious at 23 or 60hz but it is nearly invisible at 122hz. Ever heard of a bad pixel behaving like that?

Still undecided about returning it (it is no longer in stock so no exchange possible)

EDit: I guess the screen is going back. That green pixel luminosity is not linked to the refresh rate as I initially thought. It is linked to the luminosity and colors displayed in it's pixel column : invisible if full black or white, visible if less than 75% of those (and some color mixes). Strange behavior.

Last edited:
Got my PG32UQ today - I think I finally have a winner! Actually has good white uniformity - no distracting yellow areas! No dead or stuck pixels, backlight bleed is good. IPS glow is there, unavoidable, but no more than normal.

I played a little bit of New World and BF4. Works great for me despite being a "slow" panel per reviews. Haven't played around with HDR yet, will do that tonight. Saw there is a firmware update already that mentioned HDR performance so will apply that beforehand.

@VistaVick2 & Freekill:

Not an issue with the cables or HDR, the monitor has simply horrendous stock calibration. Incredible to put that on the user.

My setting right now is 88, 87, 100. That removes the yellow tint completely for me with the white colour looking very clean and neutral and light gray neither being reddish nor greenish. I also added one notch to the Color Vibrance, to make colours pop a little more, that also gives them a slight cooler and more neutral look. I even like the way the M32U looks now a little more than the colours on my LG, hah. I think I need to calibrate the LG, too.

The panel is capable, but needs calibration to access that potential. I eyeballed it for now, but would like to make a hardware calibration.

I was about to pack it up and send it back, but then I tried the 144Hz setting. Wow, what a difference. Even using the OS and UI's feels so much smoother, like watching The Hobbit in the theaters again.
The IPS glow is as bad as the LG if not worse, due to the panels tendency to a yellowish tint (LG has a more neutral whitish glow). My old Dell U2711 had much less IPS glow than either of them.
The LG feels like it has better black, due to having a natural and more bluish tint to the panel, while objectively the black colour is not much deeper, just feels like it.
Excellent white uniformity on the M32U as far as I can tell.

With darker black and less IPS glow the monitor would be worth its 800,00. As it is it isn't in my opinion, but there is no cheaper alternative or a competitor at that price point.

@Freekill:
Other than the pixel issue, how do you like it?

What is "BFI"?

Last edited:
@Freekill:
Other than the pixel issue, how do you like it?

What is "BFI"?

Maybe I shouldn't have used the term BFI (Black Frame Insertion). Here it's just strobing the backlight to reduce the perceived motion blur. See this section of the TFT Central review : https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/gigabyte-aorus-fi32u#Blur-Reduction-Aim-Stabilizer-Sync

Other than that one pixel it would honestly be a keeper. There is currently no alternative at that price in the 32" 4k high frequency IPS category.

Also, slight update on the frequency that you can reach with a GTX 1080 ti : while a custom resolution @122hz does work with 4full RGB and G-sync, switching to it from a standard resolution sometimes results in a "no input" situation. The other way around also does. Custom res @115hz does not (so far).

I didn't initially notice since I was incrementally trying faster rates and there was no problem between custom 115hz and 122hz.

Unfortunately the poor black and IPS glow on the M32U makes my LG IPS almost feel like OLED. It's like looking films with a layer of fog over the screen. Thinking about returning the unit and perhaps wait for the MSI Optix MPG321UR-QD, but that one is going to be majorly overpriced.

Been using a 60Hz IPS for a decade (after 75Hz CRT's), just to find the state of affairs in such a sad state.

I'm not familiar with this technology, but my 60Hz LG's 32" 4k panel is decent, how difficult is it to just make such panel 144Hz?

Another meh generation of monitors. So many compromises, especially on HDMI 2.1, 10-bit, and HDR. Best of luck to those who ordered, because QC during a pandemic is going to be terrible.

QC during a pandemic is going to be terrible.
The QC is terrible for years now on monitors and even TV’s
(OLED is just same: a bloody mess!).

It’s just sad and the prices are still going up.

Those having tried the PG32UQ, how is the black with the panel? There is no point of reference, but does it feel acceptable for use in a slightly darker room? If possible, how it compares with the FI32U?

Those having tried the PG32UQ, how is the black with the panel? There is no point of reference, but does it feel acceptable for use in a slightly darker room? If possible, how it compares with the FI32U?
I would say the Blacks are "OK" not great. I use mine in a somewhat darkened room. No experience with the FI32U

HDR unimpressive, I would say it was a disappointment.

I would say the Blacks are "OK" not great. I use mine in a somewhat darkened room. No experience with the FI32U

HDR unimpressive, I would say it was a disappointment.

That would be my assessment as well - OK black levels. I think my FI32Us were actually a bit better in terms of managing IPS glow than the ASUS. Overall they're both very similar.

Does HDMI 2.1 with full 48 Gbps bandwidth support 4k 144Hz 4:4:4 10-bit without DSC? Why are people saying you need to overclock the monitor for this?

I agree about the hdr but I've yet to really be impressed with hdr on any monitor 27-32 inches. I just don't think it's ever going to provide the wow factor people are looking for that you get on larger tvs.

My September 27th Amazon order for the PG32UQ just shipped. It’s arriving this Thursday. I’m ridiculously excited.

Of course we'll want to hear your assessment...
Will do! I'll be testing high refresh rate mostly with the Xbox Series X. I'll also have it connected to my dual 4K Thunderbolt 3 docking station, but I think that'll be limited to 60hz.

I've been using the PG32UQ for 2 days now. A little IPS glow, but other than that the no real complaints about the image quality. I was using the Alienware Ultrawide AW3418DW before, and I definitely like this monitor more.

Main issue so far is that it takes too long to "wakeup" after the PC has been unattended for awhile. My other monitors wakeup quickly while the PG32UQ stays black for maybe an entire 5 seconds...long enough to be annoying.

Well, underwhelmed with the 4K monitors so will be trying out an LG C1 later. ssj3rd crossing my fingures on the OLED QC.
Wow, really satisfied with 48" 4K OLED. Just have to be cautious of burn-ins, but otherwise it's game-over for LCD. No blooming at all with HDR. Absolute motion clarity with BFI, where no-BFI is already pretty close. Input latency feels great in BF1 and CODMW2019 on par with my AOC 3440x1440@144Hz VA panel. Created a 3840x1600 custom resolution that works with HDR + 10bit + G-Sync. Played lots of Diablo 2 Resurrected HDR and in dark maps, every arc of lightning looked like its own light source glowing through the screen but dark recesses of maps remained completed dark. The bright outside maps make it feel like the sun is glaring down on you.

LG has to shrink this to 32-34 inches though, otherwise the fov is just too wide for a desk. They do have a 32inch OLED but it's currently limited to 60Hz and costs $4000. What would it take to put in a controller that could drive that 32" panel at 120Hz?

LG has to shrink this to 32-34 inches though, otherwise the fov is just too wide for a desk.
Agreed.
The next step will be the confirmed 42 inch OLED next year, still to big for me though but it is definitely the right direction :)

I tried several games and mostly I get lower Hz. Sometimes 60-70, Doom'16 only 100, others 80. Only an old game got me close to 144Hz. If that is the norm, I wonder if 144Hz is even worth it, if it will not be actually reached most of the time.

I run RTX 2080 and AMD 3700X.

Back