The 32 inch 4k IPS 144hz's...(Update - this party is started) (wait for it...)

Yeah I mean best of luck to all who instantly pre ordered the Asus but I'd rather wait until all contenders enter the arena and get properly reviewed before I drop a grand for a new display. The Viewsonic still hasn't made an appearance either.
same here. I'll probably wait until next spring when things have settled out for the current generation.

So I have a ASUS PG32UQ on order from Amazon. I'm "supposed" to be getting it middle of the month.

My PC need a 10m cable to get to the monitor.

What cable should I get and why?

DP or HDM!? I was assuming the best Interface would be Ultra Fast HDMI 2.1 capable cable

I am using a 10m HDMI presently. Monoprice High Speed Cable

Yeah I mean best of luck to all who instantly pre ordered the Asus but I'd rather wait until all contenders enter the arena and get properly reviewed before I drop a grand for a new display. The Viewsonic still hasn't made an appearance either.
likewise. My big techxmas buy is generally a January to March purchase unless some sort of crazy sale comes up. Plenty of time to sort out what's what among the current generation of displays.

I was assuming the best Interface would be Ultra Fast HDMI 2.1 capable cable
You need a cable like this one, if you want to play with 4k/144/4:4:4/HDR over HDMI 2.1:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092J2XJC3/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_a_VNY5R8611TCCBEBTVN0Q

Or this one if you want to use Display Port 1.4 with DSC:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V7NOST8/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_a_V2TVDB96FXN1M99T99TS

I would recommend to use HDMI 2.1, then you don’t have to use DSC. We don’t know if DSC will have any downsides in the future.

But why bother? Just use HDMI 2.1 🙏
(48Gbs is nice to have 😉)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
IMO a poor review.

He should have had all the test Panels show the peers to this monitor. When he harangued it for any parameter relating to HDR, he omitted the GB FI32U, it just freakin' disappeared. He did not have the current Acer 32" 4K 144 hz monitor that just came out. These reviews should be a comparison of 32" 4K monitors 60hz and up. Any 27, 28, 35, 43" monitors or monitors that are 1440P should be brought in separately as an analysis of do you buy now or wait for later. I think comparing 32" 4K 144hz monitors to 27, 43, 49, or 28" anything is confusing and disingenuous. For me at least, 32" is the "Desktop" endpoint. I've been an early adopter of the largest best displays since 1985 when I started with a 13" NEC Multisync. But 32" is the end for me on the Desktop, and I suspect for a lot of others as well. It is the sweetest sweet spot.

I am an early adopter of 32" 4k, a long time ago relatively speaking. I want to hear about how that is developing. I moved from 27" a long time ago and have been waiting for these monitors to get better for some time. I also don't give a Rat's azz about 49" monitors?? Or 27, 28, or 21, or 19 or whatever. These should not have been mudding up the graph matrices, IMO they should have been brought in as separate arguments and separate test panels.

He did come to the same conclusion I was looking for, that this is the number one monitor in this space currently. There is no foreseeable monitor that is on the horizon that I can see to beat it at it's price point.

So I will buy this one the minute it becomes available, unless someone can point out a better monitor to me with these parameters/wish list requirements:

1) 4k, 32", 144Hz
2) HDMI 2.1
3) HDR 600 or better, (these numbers are more interesting to me)
4) around $1000
5) Not really a gamer, at least not enough to be bothered by 10ms times.

The FI32U has really bad contrast, even for an IPS monitor. It looks super washed out in games IMO, and even on the desktop it seems kinda washed out, no matter what mode or calibrations I make. Even my older 4k60 IPS monitors look way better.

So sadly looks like the current new 32 4k are not worth it :(

That really depends on what you are upgrading from. They aren't perfect but definitely still offer a lot of the latest tech and features and I always find IPS displays the better choice if you do at least half office work on it.

In my opinion there are more drawbacks and concerns the 40 inch plus monitor range now.

Yeah, I'm still aiming at getting pg32uq once that will become available.
Waiting for another couple of years seems pointless now, might as well get this one with its drawbacks and wait for OLED monitors in some 3-4 years.

Yeah, I'm still aiming at getting pg32uq once that will become available.
Waiting for another couple of years seems pointless now, might as well get this one with its drawbacks and wait for OLED monitors in some 3-4 years.

I think at this point I'm just gonna skip all these edge lit ones entirely and wait for a decent FALD option that doesn't have crazy amounts of blooming like the PG32UQX. The more I've been using my X27, the more I'm leaning towards not buying another new monitor that doesn't have a decent FALD for an impactful HDR experience. Been playing Far Cry 6 and the HDR experience has been awesome on it. If the X32 offers this same level of performance as the X27 then that's the one to get for me.

Attachments

• 20211008_195651.jpg
    20211008_195651.jpg
    539 KB · Views: 1
Depends on how Old you are!

I've been doing this longer than most folks here, I started on CGA. Would like to see 144hz 4K 32" before I die...

They exist, they just aren't very good for gaming because these are average IPS monitors so they will have alot of glow and poor contrast. They do make great office monitors though. For gaming you either need a IPS Mini LED display with a lot of zones (500+) or maybe VA with FALD, but the former right now is ridiculously expensive ($3k+) and the latter doesn't exist yet.

To me these are the only solutions, because while good 4k IPS monitors do exist without FALD, you aren't going to find them in these gaming monitors, as they are not professional monitors with good contrast and color. So you have to rely on a crutch like FALD with a lot of zones, but the only one that's coming that's remotely affordable is the Acer X32S which is still close to $2k.

Last edited:
I think at this point I'm just gonna skip all these edge lit ones entirely and wait for a decent FALD option that doesn't have crazy amounts of blooming like the PG32UQX. The more I've been using my X27, the more I'm leaning towards not buying another new monitor that doesn't have a decent FALD for an impactful HDR experience. Been playing Far Cry 6 and the HDR experience has been awesome on it. If the X32 offers this same level of performance as the X27 then that's the one to get for me.
I just bought the PA32UCG. It's not really a gaming monitor but the performance is great. It has FALD with 1152 zones like the PG32UQX but uses Freesync Premium Pro vs GSYNC Ultimate. It has HDMI 2.1 and it's display port has DSC so it can do 4k HDR at 120hz with either one. It is insanely expensive though.

That really depends on what you are upgrading from. They aren't perfect but definitely still offer a lot of the latest tech and features and I always find IPS displays the better choice if you do at least half office work on it.

In my opinion there are more drawbacks and concerns the 40 inch plus monitor range now.
I use an X38P and and LG CX48 in tandem at the moment. I also had the Aorus 43 and that was pretty awful imo.

I use an X38P and and LG CX48 in tandem at the moment. I also had the Aorus 43 and that was pretty awful imo.

Dude, why would you want a 32 inch monitor then? I feel your pain at 40+ plus, I can't deal with the text issues on the aorus 43 inch, and I don't want to risk burn in on the oled tvs doing so much office work.

The FI32U is 899 on newegg now, maybe the rgb and extra audio out port is worth 100 more to some people.

Dude, why would you want a 32 inch monitor then? I feel your pain at 40+ plus, I can't deal with the text issues on the aorus 43 inch, and I don't want to risk burn in on the oled tvs doing so much office work.
Truthfully I always thought it be a great size for 4k and I love technology. I normally wait till they are on sale and deep discount etc. In my heart I just kinda hoped the 4k 32 would herald a new dawn for pc gaming as it was the dream a while ago.

The FI32U is 899 on newegg now, maybe the rgb and extra audio out port is worth 100 more to some people.
Doesn't it have a nicer stand, too?

I'm thinking of picking it up.... Is the contrast poor compared to other ips panels, like someone was saying?

I'm not really sure how good the stand it but it does look more like a gaming monitor. I think the contrast issue is pretty much the same among these new 32 inchers.

I'm not really sure how good the stand it but it does look more like a gaming monitor. I think the contrast issue is pretty much the same among these new 32 inchers.
Is the contrast bad compared to other ips though? I'm used to regular ips contrast, but if it's worse than normal that would impact my decision :(.

I don't think it will be an issue really if you are used to IPS monitors. You can usually improve it a bit as the out of box settings with these leave a lot to be desired.

Most reviews call the contrast ratio mediocre as opposed to poor

How is the IPS glow on the M32U? I hear people say that it is always an issue with IPS, but I used a Dell U2711 for about 9 years and didn't know anything about it, until I got the LG 32UD99 two years ago. I thought the panel was faulty, it has so much glow around the corners with dark content if you look straight at it. Both are IPS, but the difference is huge. Or does that also vary with each panel, as the case with light bleeding?

M32U is said to have great colour accuracy post calibration, but poor prior to that. If I need to buy hardware calibration tools, that will no longer be a 800,- monitor. Other than that looks like a good monitor for gaming and some design work.

How is the reputation of Innolux? Is it a good panel?

Last edited:
How is the IPS glow on the M32U? I hear people say that it is always an issue with IPS, but I used a Dell U2711 for about 9 years and didn't know anything about it, until I got the LG 32UD99 two years ago. I thought the panel was faulty, it has so much glow around the corners with dark content if you look straight at it. Both are IPS, but the difference is huge. Or does that also vary with each panel, as the case with light bleeding?

M32U is said to have great colour accuracy post calibration, but poor prior to that. If I need to buy hardware calibration tools, that will no longer be a 800,- monitor. Other than that looks like a good monitor for gaming and some design work.

How is the reputation of Innolux? Is it a good panel?

Lol if you think the 32UD99 is bad these new 4K144hz monitors are even worse. Far worse contrast and glow. At least the high end LGs are semi pro monitors so have good quality for an IPS display without a polarizer.

I'm impressed by my M32U and I think it's the best value on the market right now for an hdmi 2.1 display at this size.

My main issue right now is not anything specific to this monitor but trying to use one hdmi or displayport cable to get video to the monitor and audio to an hdmi soundbar or avr. There are very few hdmi 2.1 switches/splitters out right now and like most monitors there is no hdmi passthrough/arc port just a jack for headphones. That's one advantage with using an OLED TV as a monitor not often talked about.

Lol if you think the 32UD99 is bad these new 4K144hz monitors are even worse. Far worse contrast and glow. At least the high end LGs are semi pro monitors so have good quality for an IPS display without a polarizer.

Don't make me sad like this. :(

32UD99 has a good panel. Great colours, surprisingly good black and I was astonished to find as good as no light bleed. Perhaps I was lucky with the "lottery" with it. Unfortunately I was not lucky that this panel has high chance of malfunction (bright colouration creep in around edges). Lasted me only 2 years.

I hope U32M will have little less.

I've been monitoring microcenter now for about 3 weeks. Acer popped like $899 one day where I was kicking myself for not getting it.
https://www.microcenter.com/search/...y=match&N=4294966896+4294807739&myStore=false
Also couldn't find a descent review on it, still can't. Makes it hard the pull the trigger on something that expensive.
Just pulled the trigger on the M32U at Newegg for $799. Says I'll have it Saturday. Thanks dgrdsv for the post!

Back