The 25 Best-Paying Companies For Software Engineers

HardOCP News

[H] News
It's always good to know which tech companies pay the best salaries if you are looking for a new job. Heck, with a salary range of $91k - $128k, you might want to dust of the ol' resume even if you already have a job. ;)

Tech companies have a reputation for treating their employees well – especially their engineers. Engineering talent is scarce, so companies are willing to pay big bucks to keep them happy. Which companies pays their engineers the most?

Nice, but unfortunately pay without geo location means very little. Job in san francisco making 120k is about the same as something here in Austin making 40-50k.

Dawill, you beat me to it. People get all googly eyed over salary without realizing that the cost of living in Palo Alto or S.F. is insane.

Cost of living only scales for things like apartments, houses and schools.

Food, travel, cars, geeky toys, etc are all constants, so there can be a significant advantage to making more, even in places that cost more for housing. It just depends on priorities.

This is also just the average, and the numbers skew towards new grads due to the overall ratio of new hires to experienced SWEs. It's hierarchy. I know a lot of folks working at some of these companies make $300-600k as SWEs.

Nice, but unfortunately pay without geo location means very little. Job in san francisco making 120k is about the same as something here in Austin making 40-50k.

Lol wow... I was ready to call BS on this but it turns out that figure is in the ball park...

http://www.bestplaces.net/col/?salary=120000&city1=50667000&city2=54805000

That being said, I still disagree with this sentiment. To many people, making 120k in San Francisco is NOT the same as making 60k in Austin, or else the cost of living between the cities would probably be closer to equal.

In other words, if I had the choice to have the same net proportional take home pay (after paying rent, bills, etc) in the middle of nowhere or in NYC, I'd rather live in NYC.

Food, travel, cars, geeky toys, etc are all constants, so there can be a significant advantage to making more, even in places that cost more for housing. It just depends on priorities.

This is also just the average, and the numbers skew towards new grads due to the overall ratio of new hires to experienced SWEs. It's hierarchy. I know a lot of folks working at some of these companies make $300-600k as SWEs.

Food is definitely not constant and probably averages 10-15% more than areas with lower cost of living. Except avocados. Avocados by the dozens in CA.

I'm going to have to disagree here. I work for a company with major offices in both the Silicon Valley and in Austin. I live in one of those locations and have many friends/coworkers in the other location. The cost of living discrepancy is not as high as you claim. Of course, it all depends on where you choose to live. Even within the same general geographical location, there can be large difference in housing cost depending on how close you want to live to work and how long of a commute you can tolerate.

Obviously the companies in the article have a much larger budget for engineers than the website has for proofreaders. The grammar, eek.

"There are no downsides working at Apple. It's a great place to work."

^This attitude is likely an absolute prerequisite to continued employment. Think differently, just don't think for yourself.

I did the Googling. 24/25 of those companies are headquartered or have offices in California. Land of opportunity right here.

Born and raised in San Francisco until I left home at 21 (economy got really bad, else I'd have left sooner).

If you can't "afford" to live in SF with 120K/year, then you wouldn't do much better in Austin, Texas with 50K a year. Time to take a second look at your lifestyle, that extra weekend car, and those family trips you absolutely cannot do without, spoiled rich people.

Born and raised in San Francisco until I left home at 21 (economy got really bad, else I'd have left sooner).

If you can't "afford" to live in SF with 120K/year, then you wouldn't do much better in Austin, Texas with 50K a year. Time to take a second look at your lifestyle, that extra weekend car, and those family trips you absolutely cannot do without, spoiled rich people.

There's this thing called BART, it's like a subway train thing. You can get on it and, like, commute to the city while living in the east bay where the price of living isn't so high. Spoiled rich people? How about those who slaved for at least four years of their lives through math, physics, theory, and programming? Engineering graduates have earned their high paid salaries as far as I'm concerned. Forget the weekend car, drop whatever you want and make it a daily driver. Mmm, Mustang GT500 Shelby edition, I've got my eyes on you.

My mom (single parent, no child support) did it on 30-40K for two decades with me, my brother and sister. First world problems any?

I think I found part of Yahoos problem..
Cons: "I don't have really nothing to say here."

I did the Googling. 24/25 of those companies are headquartered or have offices in California. Land of opportunity right here.

The Governor of the Republic of Rick Perry has assured me that is not the case. :D

Don't you mean "Former" land of opportunity?

I live in California, and it's become a typical liberal run state.
We have the rich areas, like Silicon Valley, Orange County, and San Diego, while much of the rest of the state is turning into the 3rd world. We are one of the top states in high tax rates, unemployment and in people on welfare.

Most these companies that are expanding are doing so in other states, not in California.

We have the rich areas, like Silicon Valley, Orange County, and San Diego, while much of the rest of the state is turning into the 3rd world.

San Diego and Orange County can hardly be regarded as rich areas. I mean they have some rich areas, and they are generally "nice" overall, but calling them rich is a stretch. So is saying the rest of the state is turning into 3rd world, that's an odd statement.

We are one of the top states in high tax rates, unemployment and in people on welfare.

This is painfully true.

exactly people greatly overstate the whole cost of living.

Don't you mean "Former" land of opportunity?

I live in California, and it's become a typical liberal run state.
We have the rich areas, like Silicon Valley, Orange County, and San Diego, while much of the rest of the state is turning into the 3rd world. We are one of the top states in high tax rates, unemployment and in people on welfare.

Most these companies that are expanding are doing so in other states, not in California.

You must be in a different position than me.
I'm entrenched in the Silicon Valley. All I see is potential and opportunity.
California is also the largest state in terms of population, having a higher number of statistical figures makes sense. We also have the UC system, a model for the rest of the country, and extremely inexpensive community colleges. And tax? High taxes can be found all over the nation. I have someone living in Tennessee who pays 9.75% in sales tax.

The point of this thread was about SE salaries, and you can find employment from nearly all of the companies on that list in California. Now that is impressive and that is opportunity.

Back