The 2013 Post Pics Of Your Rig Thread!

Winter is Comiing

8600126013_b8906efa98_c.jpg

You know, when your inside of your computer is this dirty, it has to be in quite the nasty environment.

My lungs have gone into overdrive just thinking about the crap they would have to clean out when being in the same room as this rig.

I'm hoping the picture makes it seem worse than it is, the fans run @ 3200 RPM, or the machine has never been turned off since powered on 3 years ago.

if i remember correctly he has the mesh panel with some fans on it that replaces the window, which i'm sure is what caused this amount of build up.

but really... so much work into making it look nice and you don't clean it for a year?

It so looks like an advert for some air conditioned cooling solution... or something. ;)

You know, when your inside of your computer is this dirty, it has to be in quite the nasty environment.

My lungs have gone into overdrive just thinking about the crap they would have to clean out when being in the same room as this rig.

It does look pretty bad huh? My room isn't that dusty, that's just what it looks like after a year without cleaning. All case fans are up and running at 50% fan speed all year round, and after I snapped these pics, I went ahead to clean it up a bit.

It does look pretty bad huh? My room isn't that dusty, that's just what it looks like after a year without cleaning. All case fans are up and running at 50% fan speed all year round, and after I snapped these pics, I went ahead to clean it up a bit.

I keep a small two gallon air compressor just for cleaning PC's. Be aware that anytime you do use compressed air ( Cans don't count ) you DO NOT blow the air at your skin and you DO NOT allow the fans to turn while you are cleaning them. In both cases you either kill yourself or you kill the fan.

The problem is that when it gets this dirty, you really can't get every bit of dirt out no matter how much you clean.

Now if you are using the box for a year and then replacing everything, no reason to care.

If your going to keep the box for a while, you need to get some air filters. Dirt not only plugs things up, it also deteriorate the cooling blades and the heat sinks with little pits from the dirt that is moving through the computer.

It looks like carpet fibers from the carpet and the under-padding that is being sucked into the case. Really nothing you can do about that.

Couple of recommendations:
Air Filters
Off the floor. Way off the floor.

Later

good lord that winter is coming pc...

i have to admit i'm sort of unsure why anyone would go to the trouble of making a pretty nice rig with fancy sleeved cables and all then leave it to get that dusty....

meh...

so I live by the beach and it is what i like to refer to as "dusty as F***' here.. I have my pc cases up off the floor sitting on wood planks on this metro rack thing

for a bit i had my old case on the floor and i had to dust it monthly to keep it from getting like that corsair case.. even with filters.. raising em' up the floor has help ..honestly the upper case (my main rig .. ESXi server below) is the less dusty of the two..but the server get's less dusty being a bit over a foot off the floor...

I also found this freaking awesome looking Oreck XL airfilter thing at the thrift store ..for $10 it has been helping w/ dust also..

So I built this rig January of last year, but just recently upgraded the chassis from an Antec 1200 v1 to a CM StormStryker. The card on the bottom is a 9800GT I'm using for Physx.

20130405093509.jpg

20130404163752.jpg

20130404163501.jpg

20130404163616hdr.jpg

20130404163521.jpg

20130404163655.jpg

20130404163419.jpg

20121221203421hdr.jpg

Out of curiosity, do you smoke? I've seen that drastically increase the amount of dust in a system.

I don't smoke, but the case is on top of carpet. Space limitations prevent me from putting the case on the table. I live by the ocean so things do get dusty pretty quickly. :p

Out of curiosity, do you smoke? I've seen that drastically increase the amount of dust in a system.

Thats black disgusting nasty dust. Cleaning out smoker dust filled computers is just gross, I'm a smoker but not in my computer room. This guys looks like a pleasant winter scene. I kinda liked the look myself.

AWESOME info bro!

I usually have the fans on when I clean w/ the air. Interesting to know that might not be such a good idea. I do have some dead fans over the years, tho I thought it was from bending/twisting the cables so much.

I don't smoke, but the case is on top of carpet. Space limitations prevent me from putting the case on the table. I live by the ocean so things do get dusty pretty quickly. :p

If you have $10 bucks, get yourself to the hardware store and build something like this:

20130406_124214.jpg

Still on the floor, but the dust buildup is much less, plus you add airflow for the bottom intakes (if you have them). It might even be time to wipe everything down individually...

I suppose I'll post my new specs (in the correct thread now :) ). Recently upgraded from two 690s to three Titans. Also added two more 512GB Vertex 4s to my array for a total of eight 512GB Vertex 4s in RAID-0 (4096GB).

Specs:
Intel Core i7 3960X @ 4.5GHz
ASRock Extreme11 @ 45 x 100MHz
32GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z @ 2400 DDR
Three GTX Titans in 3-Way SLI
256GB Vertex 4 SSD
Eight 512GB Vertex 4 SSDs in RAID-0
4TB Deskstar 7K4000 HDD
Pioneer BDR-206 BD-RW
Cooler Master HAF-X case
Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme cooler
Corsair AX1200 power supply
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate keyboard
CST LaserTRAC 2545W trackball
DoubleSight DS-307W monitor
Shure SRH840 headphones

Gaming-Rig-4.png

8x_512GB_Vertex4.jpg

Rig_04-02-13.jpg

4TB-SSD-Properties.png

4TB-SSD-ASSSD.png

@AdamK47

8 SSDs in RAID-0...I'm assuming you're doing daily backups. I won't put 4 traditional disk drives in RAID-0, never mind 8 SSDs.

Top to Bottom

Zyxel Wireless N Gigabit Firewall
CyberPower 10 Outlet Surge Protector
Trendnet 24-Port Gigabit Switch
Juniper NetScreen Firewall
Barracuda Spam and A/V Firewall
CyberPower 1500 VA 900 Watts UPS

Server 1
Dell Poweredge C6100 (4 Nodes)
8x Intel Xeon Quad Core L5420 @ 2.5GHz
32GB DDR2

Server 2
Dell Poweredge 1950 G3
2x Intel Quad Core L5420 @ 2.5GHz
16GB DDR2

SAN
Dual Core AMD @ 3.4GHz
32GB DDR3
Syspool: 60GB SSD
Static Storage: 5x 3TB (Raid 5z)
Servers: 240GB SSD

2013-03-29131340a_zpsa80f08c7.jpg

Last edited:
recently added a gpu backplate, corsair white cables, and red LED light strips.

img20130309233820.jpg

img20130310100310.jpg

img20130310100502.jpg

B3EZwv3.jpg

it's begging for second 680 classy

Last edited:
This is H forum. not S forum
We dont frown upon on a single monitor.

:rolleyes:

This website has always been geared toward price vs performance. And hordes of noobs and endless dumb questions.

3 titans on a single 1080p monitor is rather...interesting..

also..to much posing in this thread..

:rolleyes:

This website has always been geared toward price vs performance. And hordes of noobs and endless dumb questions.

3 titans on a single 1080p monitor is rather...interesting..

also..to much posing in this thread..

Actually is a 2560 screen, Its got a pretty price and solid performance. :p

I suppose I'll post my new specs (in the correct thread now :) ). Recently upgraded from two 690s to three Titans. Also added two more 512GB Vertex 4s to my array for a total of eight 512GB Vertex 4s in RAID-0 (4096GB).

Specs:
Intel Core i7 3960X @ 4.5GHz
ASRock Extreme11 @ 45 x 100MHz
32GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z @ 2400 DDR
Three GTX Titans in 3-Way SLI
256GB Vertex 4 SSD
Eight 512GB Vertex 4 SSDs in RAID-0
4TB Deskstar 7K4000 HDD
Pioneer BDR-206 BD-RW
Cooler Master HAF-X case
Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme cooler
Corsair AX1200 power supply
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate keyboard
CST LaserTRAC 2545W trackball
DoubleSight DS-307W monitor
Shure SRH840 headphones

Gaming-Rig-4.png

8x_512GB_Vertex4.jpg

Rig_04-02-13.jpg

4TB-SSD-Properties.png

4TB-SSD-ASSSD.png

Love it !

These are all awesome setups! But I just don't understand why it is necessary to have so many graphics cards. Yall got some serious money to blow...

As for my setup, I'll try to post something after I get it built. I'm changing cases to an NZXT Phantom full tower with a new processor and mobo.

Don't get me wrong the 3 titan rig is amazing, but connected to one (22"?) monitor? Piss money away much? Hey you might be loaded but wow, just wow.:rolleyes:

Ok it's a 30" but anyway my point still stands.

Last edited:
LOL

You guys are really going to hate on me when you see the single display I'll be replacing the 30" DoubleSight with later this year.

555873_10101260275799133_1858654376_n.jpg

Here is my new build. It's coming along. Just need to get the card reader 3.5 to 5.25 bay adapter, the SSD 2.5 to 3.5 bay adapter, and ordered some G Skill Ripjaw ram. Finally some cable management. This is my first time not doing spaghetti wiring. Also I love the full tower versus the midtower.

I found this case on Craigs list locally for $30! I couldn't pass up that deal so I built my rig around it. The case is a Falcon Northwest Icon 2 which is built off the Silverstone Raven chassis.

img20120718211712.jpg

@AdamK47

8 SSDs in RAID-0...I'm assuming you're doing daily backups. I won't put 4 traditional disk drives in RAID-0, never mind 8 SSDs.

SSDs are way more reliable than rotating media...my current array has been running for 2.5 years without any issue whatsoever, and my previous array of Corsair P256s did likewise. And if the array craps out for whatever reason, meh...it's only my system partition. My storage partition, on the other hand, is well protected;)

LOL

You guys are really going to hate on me when you see the single display I'll be replacing the 30" DoubleSight with later this year.

Not much out there above a 30" $1,200 monitor thats usable at a desk in any realistic manner unless you're talking multiple monitors... I guess you could buy the $4.5k Sharp PNK321 32" 4k Monitor :p

SSDs are way more reliable than rotating media...my current array has been running for 2.5 years without any issue whatsoever, and my previous array of Corsair P256s did likewise. And if the array craps out for whatever reason, meh...it's only my system partition. My storage partition, on the other hand, is well protected;)

Outside of shits and giggles do you have a usage need for almost 2TB of stupid fast storage?

Back