287f6uh.png

dm49ie.png

Intel 3770k w/ Corsair H80
16GB Corsair Vengance 1600mhz
Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe mobo
EVGA GTX690
2x 240GB Corsair Force SSD's
1x WD Black 1TB

This was my first small form factor PC I've built, I learned a lot more than I thought I would. I could have chosen some better suited parts, a H60 might have been better suited rather than the H80, I had to buy the USB 3.0 upgrade kit from Silverstone which the cables were extremely long, would have been better off buying the case which already had the 3.0 in it, but I couldn't find one at the time. The list goes on, but I'm happy with how it turned out, just trying to find a nice spot for the overclocking, currently running just the CPU at 4.1ghz.

howardsternspenis - Whats with your username? What happened, did Kyle get mad at you for somthing?

I'm sorry, I just don't get it, I think its sad that you have chosen such a name.

Kyle owns this website.

thats quite alright, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. i dont expect anyone but fellow stern fans to understand.

as far as not knowing kyle, my lurking on this forum has only taken me to the case modding boards and the cooling boards. never once have i thought, hmm, i wonder who owns this site and what his name is. guess that would be why it says NOOBIE under my name.

well now i have been enlightend.

(reposted from my post on Head.fi)
Hey guys figured I'd chime in. Please forgive the poor lighting and cell camera.

In the pic is: Ipad 3, galaxy tab 10.1, corsair sp2500 speakers, fiio e9 amp, sennheiser hd598, 24" asus PA248Q, Logitech K800 wireless illuminated keyboard, Logitech performance MX wireless mouse, roccat Taito mousepad

Tower Specs:

i5-2500k cpu overclocked to 4ghz,
16gb ddr3 corsair vengeance memory,
120gb corsair forceGT ssd,
2tb data hdd,
MSI gtx560ti gpu,
corsair 600t tower case,
corsair h100 water cooling kit,
thermaltake 750watt power-supply.

Last edited:
(reposted from my post on Head.fi)
Hey guys figured I'd chime in. Please forgive the poor lighting and cell camera.

In the pic is: Ipad 3, galaxy tab 10.1, corsair sp2500 speakers, fiio e9 amp, sennheiser hd598, 24" asus PA248Q, Logitech K800 wireless illuminated keyboard, Logitech performance MX wireless mouse, roccat Taito mousepad

Tower Specs:

i5-2500k cpu overclocked to 4ghz,
16gb ddr3 corsair vengeance memory,
120gb corsair forceGT ssd,
2tb data hdd,
MSI gtx560ti gpu,
corsair 600t tower case,
corsair h100 water cooling kit,
thermaltake 750watt power-supply.

Snip...

You might wanna jump ship on that PSU before it does damage to your unit. Not a question of if, but a question of when.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-RX-750-W-Power-Supply-Review/902/9

On the other hand, how do you like those speakers? My Altecs from 1996 finally lost their sub yesterday and I'm in the market.

You might wanna jump ship on that PSU before it does damage to your unit. Not a question of if, but a question of when.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-RX-750-W-Power-Supply-Review/902/9

On the other hand, how do you like those speakers? My Altecs from 1996 finally lost their sub yesterday and I'm in the market.

the speakers are pretty good for a 2.1 setup, but the sub is HUGE. im thinking about trading down for something with a smaller sub. i could fit 4 of my gaming rig into it. :p not an audiophile so i'll let someone elaborate on the audio quality a litte more.

the speakers are pretty good for a 2.1 setup, but the sub is HUGE. im thinking about trading down for something with a smaller sub. i could fit 4 of my gaming rig into it. :p not an audiophile so i'll let someone elaborate on the audio quality a litte more.

I'm loving the speakers a lot. yes the sub is ginormous >.< but luckily for me it literally fits perfect in the lower portion of the stand the tower is on. I mean, literally snug so it has no impact on me haha. They really like the higher quality source material the better. You can hear the inferiority of mp3 especially the lower bit rate ones. you need at least 320kbps+ for it to be good haha. I mean I'm no audiophile so it doesn't really bother me, but there is a LOT of difference between a 320kbps mp3 and flac on these speakers. They get insanely loud without distortion so I can feel my lunch shifting around when I blast some Armin Van Buuren.

They may be only 2.1, but damnit do I not miss a 5.1 setup. I used to have a klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra (which was like one of the last units in all of Boston at bestbuy when they were going clearance) but they went kapoot, so I feel a little sad to not have surround, but damnit these do a good job. I do more music listening now than gaming these days, so having a good set of music speakers (and headphones for that matter) is my priority.

As far as the powersupply goes, I am worried now thanks dude lol. I should have gone for the gold and went all corsair, since I went them for the speakers, case, SSD, liquid cooling, ram, but nooooo I had to switch it up for the p/s >.< I'll keep that in mind though, I've had no issues so far, and this PS has had some serious talk time with my APC UPS a few times in this old house before I had a dedicated circuit ran up to my office for my air conditioner and my electronics lol (circa 1894 old house with 2 prong outlets not properly grounded urrrrk)

From 2008:
-
228.jpg

-
233.jpg

-
Still running strong. No hoseclamps, and no leaks. Very proud of this.

Looking forward to doing a full overhaul soon on the computer bits. But soon may mean this time next year. For the cost, the case is amazing. For the cost, the PC has been brilliant.

This has always been my favorite thread! Keep posting pics y'all! I love looking at them.

I should be able to post pics of my rig once my new graphics card comes in. Finally I can give my fiance back his graphics card I've been borrowing for a year haha.

i like the c70, i considered getting one to have a bit of a smaller case but the bulging sides made it even wider than my current case.

Thanks mate!
This was my first small form factor PC I've built, I learned a lot more than I thought I would.

There's something about a build where you have to *really* figure out what you're gonna need to do to make it work that makes it much more interesting. Not enough room for something? We'll MAKE ROOM FOR IT.

I was trying to get a mITX build going for a while but could never find an AM3 based motherboard that had the featureset I needed. Standard memory slots and a PCIe 16x was required. When looking through NewEgg, I noticed they had some Shuttle barebones kits that would do the trick.

Then I had the issue with powering a GTX 275 with a non standard size power supply. The one that came with the box is only 250Watt and I needed at least another 200 on top of that.

The shuttle box itself is nice and will allow for me to put a full sized ATX power supply in the front whenever I decide to reuse it for a future mITX upgrade.

So I ended up stumbling upon a way to power my GPU externally by using an XBox 360 power brick instead.

Build log here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1712969

And some in progress pics. Had to cut the 3.5" bays out.

n4q8f.jpg

FuzGW.png

3BQsI.jpg

And all finished up.

8D4gD.jpg

It was a fun challenge. Ended up being my most favourite build in the end.

Last edited:
There's something about a build where you have to *really* figure out what you're gonna need to do to make it work that makes it much more interesting. Not enough room for something? We'll MAKE ROOM FOR IT.
Damn that is nice, I've always liked the way shuttles looked. Would never have thought of using an Xbox PSU. That is awesome!

not my rig, although i wish it was. i had to post this somewhere so others could get a sense of the type of people i have to deal with on a daily basis.

this computer was brought in for repair. the guy uses it to check email........yep, not one game or CPU/GPU intensive program on this computer. the CPU under that block is a 990x.

IMG_0836.jpg

he brought the computer in cause it was turning off while in use. the sticker on the top of the computer with the RED TEXT gave me an idea as to what the guys problem was.

IMG_0559.jpg

sure enough.......i was correct.
IMG_0560.jpg

silly noobs with too much money and no brain cells...

nice rig none the less...

edit: borked the links lol

lol you should switch out all the internals for whatever you have lying around and see if he notices. you already know he's never looked inside the case. :D

not my rig, although i wish it was. i had to post this somewhere so others could get a sense of the type of people i have to deal with on a daily basis.

this computer was brought in for repair. the guy uses it to check email........yep, not one game or CPU/GPU intensive program on this computer. the CPU under that block is a 990x.

IMG_0836.jpg

he brought the computer in cause it was turning off while in use. the sticker on the top of the computer with the RED TEXT gave me an idea as to what the guys problem was.
sure enough.......i was correct.
IMG_0560.jpg

silly noobs with too much money and no brain cells...

nice rig none the less...

edit: borked the links lol

Man, i know exactly how you feel, i deal with this crap every day at work as well, whata waste of technology. People shopping for new PC's want an i7 without even knowing what it is. They want top of the line technology to BROWSE web LIKE A PRO. On the other hand you have retarded sales associates who sell i7 and GTX 680 powered watercooled pc's or gaming laptops to old ladys who want to skype with their grandkids once a week.

Man, i know exactly how you feel, i deal with this crap every day at work as well, whata waste of technology. People shopping for new PC's want an i7 without even knowing what it is. They want top of the line technology to BROWSE web LIKE A PRO. On the other hand you have retarded sales associates who sell i7 and GTX 680 powered watercooled pc's or gaming laptops to old ladys who want to skype with their grandkids once a week.

+1.

When I was working as a troubleshoot tech/prebuilds leader (which is essentially the same as an OEM production line from Dell, HP etc but based on our own franchise), we have a build called the Budget X which was a $180 barebone system with just the computer box itself, no peripherals and no monitor which featured the following specs:

AMD Sempron L-145 AM3 CPU (pos)
2GB DDR3 Strontium or EVM based RAM (pos)
ASRock H61M chipset based mini-ATX mobo (pos)
Generic ATX tower with a 400Watt Sunpro PSU (pos)
No dedicated graphics cards (using onboard)
500GB Seagate/Hitachi HDD.

One day one of the sales assistants called my department asking for a BudgetX to be built for a customer at front counter who said he wanted one for gaming, I responded by wtf would want one of these for gaming, surely enough I went downstairs to the front counter, and saw a GTX690 on the front counter and a 1500watt Platimax PSU, I was like wtf....the customer said he wanted to buy the cheapest system and chuck those components in. Eventually I explained to him and told him that his an idiot and no I wasn't going to approve the transaction for the sake of our company making money.

The customer wanted one for gaming for games like CS Source and LoL. Moral of the story, he was idiot, I explained to him what bottlenecking was and whether or not he had any idea what he was buying (which he didn't) and eventually I sold him a computer that was within target of what he does. Fuck that was a ridiculous day, probably more worse than the time when I had a build to troubleshoot, the dumb fucker "user" thermal pasted his whole damn computer (it was a shiny silver compount probably AS5) thinking it would exchange heat better.....his computer never turned on.....

+1.

When I was working as a troubleshoot tech/prebuilds leader (which is essentially the same as an OEM production line from Dell, HP etc but based on our own franchise), we have a build called the Budget X which was a $180 barebone system with just the computer box itself, no peripherals and no monitor which featured the following specs:

AMD Sempron L-145 AM3 CPU (pos)
2GB DDR3 Strontium or EVM based RAM (pos)
ASRock H61M chipset based mini-ATX mobo (pos)
Generic ATX tower with a 400Watt Sunpro PSU (pos)
No dedicated graphics cards (using onboard)
500GB Seagate/Hitachi HDD.

One day one of the sales assistants called my department asking for a BudgetX to be built for a customer at front counter who said he wanted one for gaming, I responded by wtf would want one of these for gaming, surely enough I went downstairs to the front counter, and saw a GTX690 on the front counter and a 1500watt Platimax PSU, I was like wtf....the customer said he wanted to buy the cheapest system and chuck those components in. Eventually I explained to him and told him that his an idiot and no I wasn't going to approve the transaction for the sake of our company making money.

The customer wanted one for gaming for games like CS Source and LoL. Moral of the story, he was idiot, I explained to him what bottlenecking was and whether or not he had any idea what he was buying (which he didn't) and eventually I sold him a computer that was within target of what he does. Fuck that was a ridiculous day, probably more worse than the time when I had a build to troubleshoot, the dumb fucker "user" thermal pasted his whole damn computer (it was a shiny silver compount probably AS5) thinking it would exchange heat better.....his computer never turned on.....

You lost all credibility when you put an AM3 processor in a LGA 1155 board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back