The 1080 ti shortage is hurting current owners as well....

TrevorR

Gawd
Last week my 1080 ti FE bit the dust with some weird error 43 code, so I tested it on another machine and confirmed busted.. Sent it into ASUS, and today I looked at the repair status and it says:

"Material/spare part(s) shortage. Item is on order and/or incoming."

Then I spoke to rep and they said a 2 week backorder. So essentially, this shortage is hurting those who are looking for a 1080 ti and those that are already owners of 1080 ti's..... I've had this 1080 ti for about 8 months and bought it new.

God damn miners..

Just thought I'd share ha.

The irony is they probably have been making 2080's for the April/May launch since last month, but can't sell them yet.

!st problem Asus, 2nd problem Asus, 3rd problem Asus, 4th problem miners? Did I do that right? Guys?
No, you left out Nvidia and the memory manufacturers. Mining hit hard early last year and kept up, some mis-predictions from the manufacturing standpoint contributed. Yes, without mining there maybe a surplus of cards right now but large purchases for mining has been occurring for some time now meaning it was somewhat predictable.

The irony is they probably have been making 2080's for the April/May launch since last month, but can't sell them yet.
I sure hope so but I think it will be more like June or July time frame. We may get an announcement in April/May, hard Launch?

Not sure the pricing or how Nvidia will work this, will be very interesting. High end first but then there are no mid level and up cards even remotely reasonable now or in the foreseeable future . Pricing? Will it continue the upward trend but even more so? Titan Xp $1299 to Titan V $2999. Over %200 increase - will we see a 1.5x or %150 increase in MSRP for Volta/Amper? AMD has no answer, cannot make enough Vega's which already performs on the lower side for gaming. 2080Ti $1199, 2080 $799, 2070 $599?

Will the new pricing force the issue for buyers to offset some of the additional costs to mine? Spurring even more mining but then mining rewards will go down making mining less profitable. Funny but probably true, if all the gamers with gaming cards started mining - it would probably - most likely put the mining farms out of business other then the ASIC ones. There are many folds more gaming cards in machines idle, doing nothing in-between gaming sessions. If they were actually put to use as in mining the gamers would control everything :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I sure hope so but I think it will be more like June or July time frame. We may get an announcement in April/May, hard Launch?

Not sure the pricing or how Nvidia will work this, will be very interesting. High end first but then there are no mid level and up cards even remotely reasonable now or in the foreseeable future . Pricing? Will it continue the upward trend but even more so? Titan Xp $1299 to Titan V $2999. Over %200 increase - will we see a 1.5x or %150 increase in MSRP for Volta/Amper? AMD has no answer, cannot make enough Vega's which already performs on the lower side for gaming. 2080Ti $1199, 2080 $799, 2070 $599?

Will the new pricing force the issue for buyers to offset some of the additional costs to mine? Spurring even more mining but then mining rewards will go down making mining less profitable. Funny but probably true, if all the gamers with gaming cards started mining - it would probably - most likely put the mining farms out of business other then the ASIC ones. There are many folds more gaming cards in machines idle, doing nothing in-between gaming sessions. If they were actually put to use as in mining the gamers would control everything :ROFLMAO:

AMD got no answer to current lineup. But price didn't go up...except for AMD with their semi fake MSRP that required directly cashback from AMD.

Wow the hate for ASUS. I started an RMA last week and they received it last Friday. On Monday (Yesterday) they had already inspected the card and are waiting for a replacement to come in.

Last year I RMAd my ASUS swift and the turnaround was really fast.

ASUS is replacing my card, they just don’t have any in due to shortage....

Edit: Also this card was under water, but ASUS specifically had instructions that original cooler had to be put back on prior to RMA. So ASUS allows for the removal of the cooler.

Any idea what caused the malfunction? I too have a FE under water and the thought of "error 43" sends shivers down my spine :nailbiting:

Wow the hate for ASUS. I started an RMA last week and they received it last Friday. On Monday (Yesterday) they had already inspected the card and are waiting for a replacement to come in.

Last year I RMAd my ASUS swift and the turnaround was really fast.

ASUS is replacing my card, they just don’t have any in due to shortage....

Edit: Also this card was under water, but ASUS specifically had instructions that original cooler had to be put back on prior to RMA. So ASUS allows for the removal of the cooler.

Its not just Asus, PNY same issue, 2 weeks backlog on RMA, that's for 1070's, I RMA'ed one of my 1070's In early Dec. and didn't get it back (1070ti was the replacement), Early Jan. So this started prior to the latest mining craze. Mid to end of Dec was when mining took off because the crypto markets went up at that point.

Yep, full agree. They probably have been stocking up the 'houses with the new parts, to make sure they sell a mountain of them when they can.

To the OP: sorry about your card, bro, but on the very possible upside, you might be getting a nice upgrade, since no graphics card maker probably has any replacement parts left for the 1080TI.

Yep, full agree. They probably have been stocking up the 'houses with the new parts, to make sure they sell a mountain of them when they can.

To the OP: sorry about your card, bro, but on the very possible upside, you might be getting a nice upgrade, since no graphics card maker probably has any replacement parts left for the 1080TI.
If he got it replaced with a 2080, he would have to wait over a month. Up side is he would be first in line for one.

Sorry about your card OP.
I was waiting to upgrade to this cycle like a fool.
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/61023/nvidia-price-geforce-gtx-2080-up-1499/index.html

There is more to this than "miners". There is a shortage of memory and with any precieved shortage, you get a "Johnny Carson toilet paper effect". Suddenly everyone on Earth needs 10 video cards because fuck it all.
The supply has now far outstripped demand and cards that are 4 years old on ebay that 3 months ago were selling for $20 are now $200.
If Nvidia's next card cost as much as the article above speculates, fuck PC gaming. I'll become a console gamer forever.

They won't do that, the price is due to demand and lack of supply currently. If the same situation happens with a 1.4k card then its price will go up to 2.8k lol. Yeah that means no one in the right minds will buy any PC graphics cards for gaming. nV and AMD always try to price comparative to what the majority of the market will buy it at. @2.8k might as well get Volta.

Keeping in mind gaming is where nV makes most of its money still, they can't do that.

I'm thinking the same. Paper launch in late april/early may and actual availability in june. Though seeing how the titan V performs I see miners buying the 2080/1180s up as well.

Volta with GDDR6 should be bonkers for many kinds of mining. (or ampere or turing whateverthefuckrumoroftheweek they call it, these chips are already made its the same damn thing just 'mainstream version')

Supply and pricing is going to make a PUBG match look tame.

Well then.... Today I just checked the status and it says repairs complete product shipped out.

So I started an RMA last week (Monday) > They received on Friday > Processed it on Monday > Shipping me repaired card today.

Don't quite understand the hate for ASUS.

Edit: Also looks like they are shipping me a different card, since the SN of card they sending me is different.

Its not just Asus, PNY same issue, 2 weeks backlog on RMA, that's for 1070's, I RMA'ed one of my 1070's In early Dec. and didn't get it back (1070ti was the replacement), Early Jan. So this started prior to the latest mining craze. Mid to end of Dec was when mining took off because the crypto markets went up at that point.

I just recently did an RMA through PNY for a GTX 670 and the tech originally told me the backorder on GTX cards was "6-8 weeks." After I wrote them another email stating that I thought that was a little ridiculous for the the turnaround on a warranty claim I didn't get a response until I got a shipping notification a few days later. I was sympathetic to their position in the email (ie. crypto miners), just told them my thoughts, but that I couldn't really complain since they were replacing a 6 year old card.

Ok another update, I didn't notice that the card they sent me was listed as TURBO-GTX1080TI-11G .............

I sent them a FE one and they're sending me a turbo one with the plastic black cooler.... Which isn't an issue, except, its not gonna work with my EK waterblock because its a custom PCB not a reference.

F u asus? Lol..

free upgrade is free upgrade, gift horse and something something hehe

Ok another update, I didn't notice that the card they sent me was listed as TURBO-GTX1080TI-11G .............

I sent them a FE one and they're sending me a turbo one with the plastic black cooler.... Which isn't an issue, except, its not gonna work with my EK waterblock because its a custom PCB not a reference.

F u asus? Lol..

Feel free to tell Asus you removed the cooler and voided the warranty and still sent it in for RMA anyway.

Feel free to tell Asus you removed the cooler and voided the warranty and still sent it in for RMA anyway.

Except that removing the cooler doesn't void warranty?

Per ASUS RMA instructions that they sent me:

40502020532_927d30f0a3_b.jpg

Had a 6950 from xfx cap out on me recently. Got an r9 370 as a replacement. Yes it's faster and could mine something if I cared, but the build quality and fan are complete shit. Throttles at full load. It's an upgrade on a super old card, but I honestly wish I had my 6950 back. So I don't feel free upgrades are always a win win

How is this an upgrade? If I remember correctly, the Turbo is one of MSI's lowest end 1080 Tis and had a release msrp $100 cheaper than the Founder's Editions. I'd be pissed.

Last edited:
I know what you mean. i had the pump on my 1080ti Hybrid go out on my gaming rig. I had to send it for RMA, but no problem since I just pulled one from the miners.... :)

F u asus? Lol..

If that is being sent to you sealed in a box I would just sell it for the most money you can get for it and buy a used 970 to hold you over till you can get the next gen on release day.

If that is being sent to you sealed in a box I would just sell it for the most money you can get for it and buy a used 970 to hold you over till you can get the next gen on release day.

Yeah I just got a sealed Turbo model 1080 ti... Not gonna sell it though, gonna send it back and tell them to give me a founders edition since this turbo model has a cheap black cooler with no backplate. I care about aesthetics in this instance.

Yeah I just got a sealed Turbo model 1080 ti... Not gonna sell it though, gonna send it back and tell them to give me a founders edition since this turbo model has a cheap black cooler with no backplate. I care about aesthetics in this instance.

Fair enough, only issue is that you may not be able to get a founders edition from them if they are EOL. If it's just a refurb you're looking for they may be able to work something out.

Feels good to be a miner!

If one (or both) of the 1080 Ti's that I have in SLI in my main rig bite the dust, I have tons of spare 1080 Ti's in other machines ready to be swapped in at a moment's notice ;)

Last week my 1080 ti FE bit the dust

God damn miners..

Just thought I'd share ha.

problem in this case might be compounded by them GC miners, but, I say more the fact that it is with Nv and Asus, said it lasted 8 months?..seems to me they are not building highest spec they could/can considering the price they push them out at..105c for mains and 85c for core vreg, if software screws up somehow that means the card will cook itself, and like any electronic anything, the closer it is to its "redline" the quicker it actually wears out, suppose Nv budgets 2 year operation, so, if it "cooks itself" in 2 years...repeat business. bunch of jag offs.

I would mine with it between frag sessions and make enough dough to buy a new generation card with the proceeds. I don't think ASUS are getting anymore FE cards -> meaning you won't get one from them unless they give a previously burnt up, mining card they can get working for you. Keep it and look towards the future is my suggestion.

Back