That's all folks!!

erek

[H]F Junkie
The Legacy of 3dfx book is finally concluded!

"I can't say what will happen in the future, for now I just want to disconnect a bit, prepare a kickstarter guide, tell how the experience has been, and prepare a book launch outside the kickstarter.

Regarding future projects, I hope to continue with the graphics and more personal projects but calmly. Having said all, I can only go play with Darksiders III, a game that promised me not to touch it until I finished the book, and say:

Merry Christmas and Happy new year!!"

upload_2019-12-24_18-38-55.png

I remember having a Voodoo card back in the day, traded it to someone for a 2d card that had 8MB of ram instead of the 1MB mine had simply because I didn't do much 3D stuff back then (don't ask why I bought it in the first place)

Reactions: erek
like this
Great company consumed by mediocre nvidia.

They said one of the mistakes was releasing their own boards and competing against the AIB partners, does seem like NVIDIA learned from that mistake with the big pricing disparity between Founders Editions and AIBs (after many many many years)

They said one of the mistakes was releasing their own boards and competing against the AIB partners, does seem like NVIDIA learned from that mistake with the big pricing disparity between Founders Editions and AIBs (after many many many years)

They simply didn't have competitive chips anymore. It really didn't matter if they had AIB partners or not.

From memory hardware T&L was the big Nvidia selling point that 3dfx didn't have.

Reactions: erek
like this
From memory hardware T&L was the big Nvidia selling point that 3dfx didn't have.

Nah, there wasn't a widespread implementation of DX7/D3D7 that used Hardware T&L. nVidia won simply by innovating and releasing next-gen parts faster and for cheaper retail price points than 3Dfx did.

3Dfx hedged all their bets into VSA100 and scaling it:
Voodoo5 4500 was single VSA100
Voodoo5 5500 was dual VSA100

Unreleased models were the V5 5000 (dual VSA100 half RAM of 5500) and V5 6000 (quad VSA100).

The problem for 3Dfx was that they were still trying to run on name recognition alone and priced themselves out of the market (4500 was more expensive than the faster performing GeForce2 lower end models), while a competitor saturated market gave consumers a vast choice.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/641/6

Last edited:

I bought a V4 specifically at the recommendation of Blizzard tech support phone number for hardware T&L support. Was having performance issues on Diablo 2 with the overlay map enabled.

I bought a V4 specifically at the recommendation of Blizzard tech support phone number for hardware T&L support. Was having performance issues on Diablo 2 with the overlay map enabled.

I think you got duped as the Voodoo 4 didn't have hardware T&L, only Nvidia did.

I think you got duped as the Voodoo 4 didn't have hardware T&L, only Nvidia did.

So it seems. Interesting.
Anyway, without the phone call and it fixing my issue, I probably wouldn't be on this forum. :)
I had a Gateway 2000 PC with a P2-333 and 128MB o RAM and a DVD-rom. I can't remember what video card I had in it before I bought the V4. Had to have been something slightly beefy to handle the DVD, iirc.

I still have a Voodoo5 5500 new-in-box in my garage. I bought a second one as a spare for playing Glide games like Falcon 4.0 when I heard they were shutting down... SMH

Can a mod bump the nvidia-3dfx thread where several "employees" on this site claimed it was bullshit and they were in a company meeting saying it was bullshit... 2 hours before it went on newswire lol.
Sure. Got a link?

Sure. Got a link?
The forum has been purged since then i thought, not trying to sound condescending but i assume those are gone forever, or on a backup tape somewhere. I know avs had their archives before they sold out, but that's pretty rare. I do absolutely remember that thread on here, but it was more a post in jest, i didn't actually think it was recoverable.

The forum has been purged since then i thought, not trying to sound condescending but i assume those are gone forever, or on a backup tape somewhere. I know avs had their archives before they sold out, but that's pretty rare. I do absolutely remember that thread on here, but it was more a post in jest, i didn't actually think it was recoverable.
I don't know what your are talking about, hence asking for a link.

I can't link a thread from 2002, or maybe i can. But i didn't save the link for 20 years.
Still don't know what you are talking about. You seemed to be upset about something. Just trying to figure things out and address it.

Still don't know what you are talking about. You seemed to be upset about something. Just trying to figure things out and address it.
No way, i'm not upset at all, just remember the actual nvidia takeover thread from 2002 where "employees" were saying it was a lie. Then a few hours later, it happened. Basically pointing out they weren't employees. If that post from 2002 is out there, or any other, would be cool to be in a book seeing people's reactions.

Also just realized this is a necro thread from 2019 i'm posting in :(

No way, i'm not upset at all, just remember the actual nvidia takeover thread from 2002 where "employees" were saying it was a lie. Then a few hours later, it happened. Basically pointing out they weren't employees. If that post from 2002 is out there, or any other, would be cool to be in a book seeing people's reactions.

Also just realized this is a necro thread from 2019 i'm posting in :(
Ok. I totally misread your meaning.

I had four friends that worked there when 3dfx was in Dallas. I used to drive over there and just walk into the lab. Crazy times. Saw AA working for the first time in that lab.

Sounds like a interesting book. Lucky 381 people.

The 3Dfx splash screen is one of coolest things I have seen in computers. It was always exciting to see that thing switch on. :cool:

Man, do I miss 3DFx... Even when they didn't have the "technically best" 3D card, they had the best 3D card. Nothing in this world topped a Matrox G400 combined with Voodoo 2 12M SLI back in the day for picture quality, game compatibility AND raw visual fury.

Man, do I miss 3DFx... Even when they didn't have the "technically best" 3D card, they had the best 3D card. Nothing in this world topped a Matrox G400 combined with Voodoo 2 12M SLI back in the day for picture quality, game compatibility AND raw visual fury.
Unless you played Commander Keen. :geek:

The funny thing is that I never, ever had a 3dfx board despite them dominating the market for a while. I started with a Rendition Verite V1000-based card (I was playing 3D-accelerated Quake before 3dfx players!), then jumped to ATI and NVIDIA cards once they matured a little. There were definitely times when I wished I had a Voodoo 2, but in hindsight 3dfx's window of opportunity was pretty small — just a few years between "gotta have it" and "dead in the water."

The funny thing is that I never, ever had a 3dfx board despite them dominating the market for a while. I started with a Rendition Verite V1000-based card (I was playing 3D-accelerated Quake before 3dfx players!), then jumped to ATI and NVIDIA cards once they matured a little. There were definitely times when I wished I had a Voodoo 2, but in hindsight 3dfx's window of opportunity was pretty small — just a few years between "gotta have it" and "dead in the water."
VQuake with edge AA FTW! I went from a V1000 to a V2200 with a Voodoo 1 then a Voodoo 2. I think it was ATI after that.

I think my verite was the card i used for the shortest amount of time. I got one, and then, having recently gotten a real job, sprung for the 3dfx.

HW bilinear filtering was to me a real game changer. If I'm remembering correctly.

ah yes, Rendition Verite had the v2200 too bad the went tango uniform...

S3 could have stole some thunder if they had not screwed up the S200 with borked T&L engine...

Back