That wonderful Dell $750 off coupon

Bomber

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay, I got a Inspiron 8600 on that excellent coupon from Dell on the way. Here's what I got

Dothan 1.6
512MB
40GB 5400rpm
WSXGA+ (1680x1050) Screen with 9600 ProTurbo 128MB

After my shipping rebate, my total was $887. Sweet! :cool: Now, is there anything odd about the 8600 I should be aware of? Strange quirks, etc? I've sold my Evo N800v (and made a profit...hehe) and haven't had any odd issues with it. Hoping the same with the 8600. Thanks in advance!

Nice. I ordered almost the same config except: 30GB, WUXGA (1920x1200) LCD and Intel 2200 WiFi. That $750 off deal was so good I returned the 8600 I ordered 2 weeks ago.

Quirks? Not really. Just uninstall the n00b junk (dell helper stuff) and trial versions of software (norton, etc).

Pretty much bought the same setup, but I jumped on the dual layer 8x DVD+R/RW and a 2 year warranty with accidental replacement....I wonder what I will get after 2 years of use when I accidently spill water on it...hehe

My friend had the old 8500 and after 2 replacements they sent him a top o the line 8600. I just gotta say the difference is night and day from his old 8500.

The machine is lighter, runs cooler, quieter, keyboard is firm, and the hinges are tight.

Takes dell some time to correct quirks, but at least they do.

The Lurker said:
The machine is lighter, runs cooler, quieter, keyboard is firm, and the hinges are tight.
1. the laptops are exactly the same weight, 6.9 lbs. I've had both (a 8500 for 15 months).
2. The 8600 uses a P-M, the 8500 used a P4-M. Of course the 8600 runs cooler, the CPU consumes 5-10W less under AC power and a few watts less under battery mode.
3. The flexing keyboard problem was fixed back when the 8500 was still around. Even though mine was old (May 2003), the problem was already fixed by then.
4. The hinges on my 8600 and 8500 felt the same.

Maybe your friend just got a lemon.

I ordered a 8600 using the coupon, with the intent on either selling my 9100 or the 8600.

curious if anyone has some opinions with how the 8600 games?

pm 1.5
1gig of ram
radeon9600proturbo
60gig 7200rpm

thanks

Thanks for all the input.

pxc: Definately. Who knows how much crap is wasting space on that laptop from Dell.

viper1885: Thought about the warranty but decided against it. Got myself a new D-link Router/VPN/Print server to go 802.11g at home. :)

forcemac101: LOL! I considered the same thing, but didn't think I would actually be able to go through with it. ;)

Minor thread jack, semi-relevant: what's this coupon deal? I've been looking into getting a new laptop for school/project work, was thinking between IBM and Dell, but this thing would make me go for Dell.

Thanks.

BillLeeLee said:
Minor thread jack, semi-relevant: what's this coupon deal? I've been looking into getting a new laptop for school/project work, was thinking between IBM and Dell, but this thing would make me go for Dell.
This particular deal only lasted several hours last week. It was part of a one day sale.

Dell had very good deals twice this month. The earlier deal was a $500 off $1500+ coupon plus $200 mail in rebate and free shipping. Then this deal hit with $750 off $1500+ and a mail in rebate for the shipping ($49).

Who knows when/if another sale this good will show up again. I'm not counting on it since something like this is pretty rare. You can check the hot deals forum or a site like fatwallet (they do email alerts based on keywords, too) if you want either an IBM or Dell laptop. That can save you a lot of money as you can see from this thread.

Thanks for the info. Sucks that I missed out, guess that's what I get for not checking out the forums for a a few weeks. :)

Back