That game that's so popular with everyone, but you just can't...

theplaidfad

Lurker
I've tried playing Skyrim at least 4 different times now, and I just can never get into it, and I don't know why. I have nothing against fantasy and magic. I love Fallout 3 and New Vegas, so it isn't the game style. Why can I never seem to get into this game?

Let's hear it. What's the popular game that everyone plays that you just can't seem to like?

For me, it's typically RPG-heavy games like the Baldurs Gate series, Pillars of Eternity, etc. I want to like them and keep trying them, but it just never works. Don't care for the mega-popular RTS games like Starcraft, DOTA 2, or LOL either.

Strangely enough, I have to say GTA V as well. Bought it, played it 2-3 hours, did a Steam backup, and uninstalled it. WHAT"S WRONG WITH ME!?!

Any type of MOBA or world creator like Minecraft or Rust. I just don't get the appeal of any of them, at all.

Call of Duty
World of Warcraft
Diablo
Skyrim

Honestly, there would be too many to list...

I'm pretty sensitive too, it always being such a huge crap-shoot making purchases nearly impossible. It could be something big like the narrative that doesn't work for you on a deeper emotional level, or some smaller aspect like the music, the art or some immersion breaking flicker that your eye is too keen on picking up always. Also, with me anyways, the expectation that I'm about to play a great game often leads to disappointment, whereas playing a game I've no idea how good it is (not reading reviews) tends to put my mind in a more non-judgmental and accepting state. This is one thing that is hugely different nowadays compared to when we were younger: we didn't spend nearly as much time conjuring up grand expectations by watching pre-release trailers and other crap.

Anyways, for me, and I love tons of other games in these genres:

Kingdom Hearts
"Tales" series (Tales of Symphonia, etc...)
Final Fantasy X (I wasn't too surprised after FFVIII)
GTA Vice City (and I LOVED GTA III, never really played SA, IV or V)
F.E.A.R.
Psychonauts
BioShock
Solitaire
XenoGears
Zelda Twilight Princess
Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy

Adding to my OP,

Battlefield Hardline. As a huge fan of the entire Battlefield series since the beginning and hours on LAN playing BF1942, I just don't like this game. I still play BF4.

Counterstrike and Borderlands.

I really tried to enjoy Borderlands 2 but got bored and couldn't finish it.

MOBAs, "realistic" FPS games, Clash of Clans and other similar timer-based games.

Fallout series. :(

Will definitely try 4, I just dislike the BATS combat a ton, and non-BATS is clunky as well. Enjoyed 2 the most, but then had a save game corrupted after many hours in, and just gave it all up.

I tried starting Borderlands like 4 times before it clicked.

For me, it's typically RPG-heavy games like the Baldurs Gate series, Pillars of Eternity, etc. I want to like them and keep trying them, but it just never works

I was like this 100% like this until I tried Divinity Original Sins. Now I can't stop playing it.

Anything by blizzard or nintendo past 2000's, mobas, mmorpgs, crafting/survival games, modern competitive fps I can't stand.

It's not a single game but basically every popular genre at the moment.

Battlefield games (largely due to having to use a web browser)
Call of Duty
Dark Souls

Skyrim.  That game was so boring!
WoW. I watched someone play it in college many years ago and it put me to sleep. Also, fuck icons above NPCs.

I need to give it another shot, but so far, not into Dark Souls.

Mass Effect
Minecraft
DOTA 2
and I haven't touched any of the BF or COD games since 2007.

Because you spend 10 seconds in a web browser picking a server, you don't play the entire game? Or do you also just not like the MP?

I download the game, and to me it a bitch to have to use a web browser, especially since they all use a decent amount of ram. But that was also when I had only 4gb of ram, now I have triple that.

I've tried playing Skyrim at least 4 different times now, and I just can never get into it, and I don't know why. I have nothing against fantasy and magic. I love Fallout 3 and New Vegas, so it isn't the game style. Why can I never seem to get into this game?

Let's hear it. What's the popular game that everyone plays that you just can't seem to like?

You and I were in the same boat with Skyrim. But for some reason, I gave it ONE more try and just kept going. And now I'm actually enjoying it. Is it the best game? Not by a long shot, but it's engaging enough and kind of stress relieving to just wander the landscape en route to the next objective.

However, I'm still with you on FO3 and FONV. Just can't.

That and any GTA game after GTA2.

Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas.

I can't get passed the shit feeling engine that Bethesda keeps using

You and I were in the same boat with Skyrim. But for some reason, I gave it ONE more try and just kept going. And now I'm actually enjoying it. Is it the best game? Not by a long shot, but it's engaging enough and kind of stress relieving to just wander the landscape en route to the next objective.

However, I'm still with you on FO3 and FONV. Just can't.

That and any GTA game after GTA2.

What do you have against Chinatown wars?

Skyrim as a physical damage dealer - melee or bow - is fun, albeit not the most fully fleshed out combat system. As someone who actually enjoyed Skyrim, tried playing as a mage and it was fucking horrible.

Half-Life. Both of them.
When HL1 came out I much more enjoyed SiN over it as a single player game.
HL2 gave me motion sickness when I played. Although it was more fun than HL1, I still found it pretty bland. I've played FPS games since Wolf 3D and HL2 is the only one to make me ill. I know that it was because of the default FOV and I can play it now without feeling sick, but it's still just a boring game for me once the novelty of the gravity gun wears off.

Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3, etc. Any of those games are too open ended for me. I need a little structure. I get sidetracked and get bored and stop playing because I forgot what quest I was on and then can't be bothered to try and get into it. I've the most hours in Skyrim of any of them with 8 hours played though!

Minecraft.......

I don't understand it. I guess its a generational thing. I already grew up with Lego.

Any of the modern multiplayer shooters. Just lost interest in them. Last shooters I played a lot were ET and Tribes.

Much rather have a game I can pause or at least find a corner and park my character for a few minutes if tv or something else distracts me.

Starcraft.

Probably the m ost popular RTS game but I just can't get into it.

Maybe it's because I've grown tired of those kinds of RTS games, with the focus on base building/resources and pumping out units galore, just prefer games like Total War or other strategy games.

Fifa or Madden

I just cant get into them. I tried, oh boy did I try.

Anything by blizzard or nintendo past 2000's, mobas, mmorpgs, crafting/survival games, modern competitive fps I can't stand.
Yeah, those type of games tend to attract the trophy kid bullshit. I did enjoy Q3A back in the day but I mostly played with a small group of regulars and it felt more like a social event. Sometimes chatting was more fun than playing the game.

Back