That game that everyone hates, but you love...

• Thread starter Deleted member 83233
  • Start date
Mario Sunshine
Sonic Unleashed (love is a bit too strong of a word but I did like the game)
MGS4 (I could probably write a college essay on my issues with the game but I still really like it)
KOTOR2 (It's finally starting to get the love it deserves but for years I felt like one of the few people who could see the brilliance of the game through it's unfinished state)
F.E.A.R 2 (Maybe not as good as the first game but still a very fun game with a good atmosphere. Also, it had mechs. Mechs make everything better)
Deadpool (Game isn't amazing but it's Deadpool so yeah I love it)
DmC: Devil May Cry
The Last Remnant (Criminally overlooked RPG from Square Enix. An early UE3 game with a really cool and kind of unique battle system)

I can't believe I'm just now thinking about this. I really like the Force Unleashed II. I know that game went over like a turd in a punch bowl but I enjoyed it a lot. While I do see the problems in the repetitive level design and the weak story, I still found the gameplay to be much improved over the original. The game was a ton of fun for me and I've replayed it probably half a dozen times or so.

I always like to describe TFU2 as a game that fixed almost every single problem it's predecessor had while simultaneously getting everything else wrong. Even the improved gameplay didn't hold for me. It was better and the game was fun at first, but I grew sick of it even before the five hour campaign was done. TFU2 was also the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I was already disheartened by the Star Wars franchise and starting to draw away. After that game I was done. I just stopped caring. It took Disney and JJ Abrams to make me interested in the franchise again and even still I don't know if I will ever regain the love I once had for Star Wars.

Doom 3.

Far Cry 2. Way too many people missed out on a great experience here by getting frustrated with the game mechanics and writing it off early on.

Assassin's Creed (original). Not that people hate it, but whenever people new to the series ask where they should start, everyone always says to skip the first one. I really like it despite its faults.

GTA IV (not everyone hates it but many do/did). Hated taking my bros on dates, loved almost everything else.

Batman: Arkham Origins. The least liked of the Arkham franchise. I loved it. That doesn't necessarily mean it's my favorite of the series, but it's a DAMN good game.

Doom 3.

Far Cry 2. Way too many people missed out on a great experience here by getting frustrated with the game mechanics and writing it off early on.

Assassin's Creed (original). Not that people hate it, but whenever people new to the series ask where they should start, everyone always says to skip the first one. I really like it despite its faults.

GTA IV (not everyone hates it but many do/did). Hated taking my bros on dates, loved almost everything else.

Batman: Arkham Origins. The least liked of the Arkham franchise. I loved it. That doesn't necessarily mean it's my favorite of the series, but it's a DAMN good game.

I liked Arkham Origins. It has some technical issues and the combat doesn't feel quite as refined as the Rocksteady games have it, but overall it was good.

Mass Effect 3. I hated the way they forced the ending but I loved the series. This one gets a lot of hate.

Also for some weird reason Dark Soul fanboy's consider DS2 to be the worst and I think its the best.

Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends.

A totally unappreciated gem of a game.

Assassin's Creed Rogue- wouldn't say I loved it, but it was a damn good AC game. It was basically a better version of AC4 and reviewers pissed all over it.

Devil May Cry 4 - the criticisms everyone heaped upon it for backtracking and fighting the same bosses multiple times can also be levelled at DMC, DMC2 and DMC3, so it puzzled me why everyone chucked a shitfit over it this time.

As a couple others mentioned, Supreme Commander 2. Yes, they made some bad design decisions with it, but even with those bad decisions, it was still better than most other AAA RTS games. If it had been released under a different name and a different developer, with no references to TA/SC, it would have been praised and gotten great reviews.

Not defending the bad decisions though. It could have been much better. And people that bought SC1 should not have been asked to pay full price for SC2. It's funny though that there are so many people that refuse to play SC1/FA in multiplayer because it is too slow for MP, turn around and refuse to play SC2 because it is not complex enough compared to SC1, and then go play some MP game even more simple than SC2.

Oh and ME3 as a whole was bad and the ending was one of the worst in video game history. ME1 is the only one in the franchise that deserves praise. Although not bad like ME3, ME2 was mediocre.

Far Cry 2. Good in some areas, not superb in others. Checkpoints and the exact same mission to unlock new weapons was annoying, but those were the only two notable faults.

Aero Elite Combat Academy. Flight mechanics & campaign were a bit stale but still fun overall.

Halo. Yes. I love Halo. The first few games, at least. I think its a solid, forward thinking FPS (for its time) and set into motion many of the features, controls and pacing we consider 'modern' things like recharging health, single-button melee, single-button grenade throwing, two-weapon swap-out, seamless foot-to-vehicle-to-foot transitions, enemies that form squads, plots that people give a damn about in an FPS... Jen Taylor...

really, just about every game you play nowadays is a 'halo clone' and nobody realizes it.

MLB the Show
Nearly everyone of my gamer friends HATE playing this game.

It's one of the hardest games you'll ever play, and multiplayer is an absolute blast.
Nothing like striking dudes out online or hitting a walk off home run to end the magnificently pitched game by both players.

I don't understand that either. It basically means "let's become the borg". And control is what you fought against during the entire game with Cerberus, and at the end you do that very thing?

But IMO destroy is a bad ending too: Mass relay network destroyed = everyone stuck at the system they're at when you pull the trigger. Which basically means 90% of able forces near the sol system.

It's disputable. Hackett outright says in the EC prologue that the relays are rebuilt, and everyone does end up going home - and IIRC, the developers stated that the stranded Turian and Quarian fleets do have enough provisions to last (in addition to there being enough dextro supplies for Garrus and Tali aboard the Normandy 100% confirmed), so at least they aren't going to starve to death in the Sol system while the repairs take place. It is, however, heavily implied in the original cut that everyone is screwed as you stated.

I think the trilogy was building to a pyrrhic victory all along, considering the reapers are more or less billion year old extinction machines. Still, it could have been handled much, much better as I have said.

I can agree for the most part, but I can't agree with it "being made" for a gamepad. The game's better with a mouse and keyboard. Fuck trying to shoot at stuff with a controller.

Fair enough. I only brought that up because other than the new UI for PC this screams quick and dirty console port. These games, to their credit, do work pretty well on a pad, though.

This is the second time in a few weeks that I'm reading that ME3 was made for gamepad. I've never even heard this nonsense before that. I don't know where it came from. Every shooter is better with a mouse, unless it's pumped full with autoaim. Which doesn't make it better on a gamepad just makes it equally bad on mouse/keyboard.

See above. And yes, for the most part they are - not disputing that at all, but as many shooters last generation were console ports that implemented half-assed KB/M controls, many of those titles felt better or more "natural" - at least to me - on a controller.

Last edited:
Halo...set into motion many of the features, controls and pacing we consider 'modern' things like recharging health, single-button melee, single-button grenade throwing, two-weapon swap-out,

These are the reasons why so many people (not me) hate Halo.

Supreme Commander 2
Dumbed down from the first, but still enjoyed it extensively

Beyond Earth
Got it on sale and can reconcile that it feels more like an expansion

It's hard because Mass Effect 3 was great until the end. Maybe the best of the three gameplay and combat wise. And it has the best character moments of the series (even without the citadel DLC), plus the atmosphere of the impeding end, comes trough very well on every level of the game.

But all everyone remembers and judges it by: the ending. Yes it was terrible, and the extended cut only made it worse, by introducing more fallacies to explain the ones already in the ending. But their biggest failure: they had the chance to go indoctrination theory, but didn't take it. Yes it's fan fiction, but it beats the face value ending any day.
I agree. The journey to the end was remarkable, and it is still my favorite video game series. The ending isn't going to sour the hundreds of hours I put into it.

Halo. Yes. I love Halo. The first few games, at least. I think its a solid, forward thinking FPS (for its time) and set into motion many of the features, controls and pacing we consider 'modern' things like recharging health, single-button melee, single-button grenade throwing, two-weapon swap-out, seamless foot-to-vehicle-to-foot transitions, enemies that form squads, plots that people give a damn about in an FPS... Jen Taylor...

really, just about every game you play nowadays is a 'halo clone' and nobody realizes it.
These are the reasons why so many people (not me) hate Halo.
I don't "hate" Halo, either, but I do despise its success because of the mechanics leeching into every other shooter out there. Just like World of Warcraft, every suit is trying to duplicate the financial success of Halo and people are finally starting to get tired of it.

I'll go with DA:2 as well. They really fucked the players with the reused garbage and pared down inventory, etc etc, but I really like the way the story actually conveyed, fairly well, significant passage of time and your characters advancement in society.

Having powered through DA:Origins twice and even a couple of the novels, i was excited for DA:2. I was ~OK with the more 'actiony' fight system, and the repeated dungeons didn't bug me too much. Then I lost hours of gameplay repeatedly due to freezing and couple pick it up to play the same repetitive dungeon for the 6th time (2 times due to freeze/lost save). I wanted to love it :(

This speak of Halo reminded me of a game:

Unreal II: The Awakening
This game didn't get much love, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's also story driven, and the fact that you have a crew and a ship makes it great, and it predates Mass Effect by 5 years.

I always like to describe TFU2 as a game that fixed almost every single problem it's predecessor had while simultaneously getting everything else wrong. Even the improved gameplay didn't hold for me. It was better and the game was fun at first, but I grew sick of it even before the five hour campaign was done. TFU2 was also the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I was already disheartened by the Star Wars franchise and starting to draw away. After that game I was done. I just stopped caring. It took Disney and JJ Abrams to make me interested in the franchise again and even still I don't know if I will ever regain the love I once had for Star Wars.

I like to describe TFU2 as the worst game I had the misfortune of finishing. My 2 cents on it.

Last edited:
State of Decay (YOSE). The game is getting panned on Steam reviews, but I ended up really, really enjoying it. To the tune of 150+ hours worth of enjoyment. The combination of the gameplay elements, from managing your base/residence, to the scavenging/survival, building, dynamic missions, combat, and stealth elements, really came together well. Has some issues with polish here or there, but nothing that ever made me consider putting the game down.

Elder Scrolls Online - this has the most addictive and dynamic pvp I've ever played.

I don't understand why people don't play this as much as they do with COD.

I always think that "The Evil Within" is "Deadly Premonition" remastered.

Does The Evil Within have that Twin Peaks goodness like Deadly Premonition has? That was one thing I loved about it. Might as well have called it Twin Peaks: The Game.

Asheron's Call

Oh, how it's old. But honestly, it's still my favorite MMORPG to date. It doesn't hold your hand through the gameplay, and I think that's the main reason people stayed away from it. It's still up and running by the way, for anyone who hasn't heard of it.

Global Agenda

I loved the PvP in this game. It lacked a lot of content, and it died REALLY fast. It's awful trying to que up for PvP matches now, since the playerbase is so low.

They recently added more content but I'm not sure that anybody even knows that...

Recently for me is Watch Dogs. I actually thought it was a great game. I actually liked more things about then I disliked. I thought the music was weak and the driving mechanics were mediocre.

Everything else I really enjoyed. I thought it was a pretty good game for a new IP.

For me I would say Darksiders II. It seemed to be decently received but ultimately forgotten with most people saying the first was better. It is probably one of my favorite games of all time, hit all the things I loved about games (puzzles, action, loot progression, RPG leveling, world traveling, fantasy).

I don't know if this qualifies, but Gmod Prop-Hunt is a REALLY fun game that nobody really seems to know about. Plus it can be argued that its family-friendly.

SiN, it came out the same time as Half Life, and I loved it so much more than Half Life. I think it was because it was the first FPS games I played that had location damage. Loved killing tons of bad guys with the default pistol with head shots. Plus one of the best multiplayer maps - Behind Ze Bookcase.

NFL Fever 2002 for original Xbox. Loved this game. The NFL films music rocked, and it was also a really fun game.

Joe Montana II: Sports Talk Football on Genesis. It had voice play-by-play! I played that so much my mom got me Madden '93, which while I played a few times, I always ended up going back to Joe Montana. The 49'ers are my favorite team to this day because of this game.

Anarchy Online (Pre-Shadowlands). I played the hell out of this game. Was the main tank for one of the largest end-game guilds on RK1. PVP'd all the time. I was 21 or so and didn't have a job and still lived at home. I played 16 hours a day easily. Then Shadowlands game out and totally changed the entire game and ruined it. I am still bitter about this to this day. Met my girlfriend of the last 3 years due to Anarchy Online. She posted she played it on OK Cupid so I started asking her questions on how it was now, etc. So in essence, video games got me laid.

I don't if everyone hates it but Mass Effect 3 was my favorite series among the other ME series.

I enjoyed both Too Human and Hellgate: London.

In some ways they reminded me of the Chronicles of Riddick movie. The execution is to varying degrees flawed, but I'm willing to forgive because the ideas are interesting and you can tell the creators where trying to reach for something that was novel and epic.

I enjoyed both Too Human and Hellgate: London.

In some ways they reminded me of the Chronicles of Riddick movie. The execution is to varying degrees flawed, but I'm willing to forgive because the ideas are interesting and you can tell the creators where trying to reach for something that was novel and epic.

I played Hellgate: London a bit, and it was definitely a lot better than many gave it credit for. I did end up tiring of it after a bit, but I enjoyed it before that point.

Have you played the actual Riddick games? They're excellent! The team that made them, later (for the most part) became Machine Games (who did the new Wolfenstein games.) If you never played them, I'd highly recommend it. They still hold up decently well for their age. (Butcher Bay moreso than Dark Athena)

Riddick was interesting enough. Didn't finish the expansion/dlc though.

Bloodrayne 1 and 2 were a riot. Some pretty hilarious stuff.

I liked the newer Operation Flashpoint games, Dragon Rising and Red River, even though most people didn't. Though, I played co-op with friends so that's probably why I had that much fun with them.

Was this game related to the Xbox Crimson Skies? Because I loved the Hell out of that game!

My fav plane was the brigand.

It was first a PC game then later became an Xbox game. I never owned an Xbox so can't comment on that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimson_Skies

Although the game is similar to the PC game in that gameplay centers on controlling an aircraft, a new feature is the ability for the player to switch aircraft or man fixed weapons emplacements during a mission.[31] The game's mission structure also features a number of other open-ended elements that have led to comparisons with the sandbox gameplay of the Grand Theft Auto games.[32] The game additionally boasted a number of online gameplay modes over Xbox Live.

Halo: ODST
Fable 2 and 3
XCom: Enemy Unknown and Enemy Within
Hell might as well throw X-Com: Terror From the Deep in there as well

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head

Heroes of Might and Magic 4.

It's the one everyone loves to hate on, because HOMM3 was so good. HOMM4's gameplay is solid and it fixes alot of what was wrong with 3. The developer never really got to polish up 4 though before going bankrupt and as a result some of the graphics and animations feel incomplete. The gameplay is solid though and it feels very much like a HOMM game. Most people don't give it the time of day and just ride the hate train. I actually went into it not having very high expectations due to all of what I read about it, but as I played it I began to like it more and more and now it's one of my favorite games.

Back