That CoolerMaster PSU is How Much?

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Kyle_Bennett, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

I read that price five times before it would even compute.

Chupachup likes this.
  2. xorbe

xorbe [H]ardness Supreme

That psu will look nice sitting next to these AudioQuest Diamond hdmi cables and Titan XP.

3. haste.

haste. [H]ard|Gawd

I hate to be the one that had to report this, but word on the street is "in response to Mr. Bennett's request for a test unit of CoolerMaster's new luxury enthusiast 1200w computer power supply, CoolerMaster simply responded "No Way, Jose"."

Not looking good :(

Vercinaigh and Kyle_Bennett like this.
  4. undermined

undermined Limp Gawd

Well PSUs have changed a ton over the past 10 years in how good the DC-DC designs and regulation have improved, they don't really look like or function how they did 20-30 years ago.

When the power regulation moved from the motherboard to the chip and power delivery and phases improved at the same time as 80plus became a standard tons of changes happened so yes since then not much has changed other than increasing the efficiency in designs and optimizations, but to say the core designs haven't changed in a 30 year span isn't accurate.

That said, I bet we both agree that a $1000 computer PSU isn't something the market needed and is really a play by Coolermaster to make extra money for people with more money than sense.

I mean I understand a 100% Japanese component bill of materials is going to push this PSU well into the premium price range but at that price level, I want some aerospace NASA grade next level lab grade psu engineering implemented in it's design and assembly cause Seasoninc can probably make me a equivalent PSU for under $300.

For $1000 you are still limited by the transformer on the utility pole backfeeding you "dirty power" from all your neighbor's let alone the appliances in your house and the way your outlets are wired and using 110/120VAC not 220/240VAC for efficiency.

Gamers are better off spending money like that on GPUs ,motherboards , cases and cooling I'd rather Coolermaster try and sell a all japanese component mechanical keyboard and mouse built out of milled magnesium alloy or something if they want big markups on premium computer parts, at least then we know it isn't that it works better but is mainly built better. High-end PSU's already can use japanese capacators from nichicon and panasonic and not approach $500 with a good profit margin let alone $1000.

5. oROEchimaru

oROEchimaru [H]ardness Supreme

it was an apple book joke:)

psu often looks the same to me as "all electronics looked like" as a kid when you took things a part. except psu = omg maybe i'll die if you touch the components