Thanks to Apple Your next BMW Might Only Have Heated Seats for 3 Months

Plenty of millenials drive stick trans cars, wake up and smell the roses boomer.

You know, not everyone who is older than a Millennial is a Boomer :p

That said, I agree. I'm technically late Gen X rather than Miennial, but a lot of my friends who were just a couple of years younger than me know how to drive manual cars.

I had three cars in a row that were manual, and then in 2013 when I needed a new car I couldn't find any model I liked with a manual transmission. Only cheap shitboxes. I was very disappointed.

I figured I guess it was time to get over it, and bought my first Automatic car. It was very disappointing.

I'll stick with my mostly very analog feeling toyota 86. yuck at the thought of the future of cars being boring potatoes that drive you everywhere while you jerk off to bullshit on some screen.
(Millenial gang btw)

My only manual vehicle is a 67 Dune Buggy on a VW Frame. Fun as hell, but automatics are nice for being lazy with.

this....this thread right here is why I drive a 94 Honda Accord Ex, with a functioning tape deck, power windows, and sunroof. Still under 100K miles....hoping to get 400k out of it like I did with my old volvo(which I ended up selling because it still ran...albeit cheap)

I grew up on manual trans cars, drove a bit of Rallye as well as an amateur.
But I would not downgrade the Audi/VW DSG I have in my GTI to a manual. Fuck that.
If you kept cars as long as I do you would. No DSG will last as long as a manual, all things being equal.

Reactions: Auer
like this
Is remote start done via some third party? I mean SiriusXM was free with my wife's care, the hardware is there to make it work, but after 3 months it is a subscription.
SiriusXM is a service from a different company. Apples and oranges. There are fees Sirius has to pay for royalties to records labels, etc. Very different then heated seats or remote start.

If you kept cars as long as I do you would. No DSG will last as long as a manual, all things being equal.
I respect that, but we might not have the same priorities as far as cars go and thats fine.

This is why piracy still exists.

The most insulting part of this is that you are literally paying to haul around equipment that you are not using.

Is remote start done via some third party? I mean SiriusXM was free with my wife's care, the hardware is there to make it work, but after 3 months it is a subscription.

I think the difference is that SiriusXM is providing a service that has an ongoing cost to them. There are expenses related to transmitting, licensing, and infrastructure that need to be paid on an ongoing basis for the service to continue running.

The same is not true for heated fucking seats.

Last edited:
This is how I see it.
If the product physically has the equipment, then it better be turned on anytime I see fit to use it. If it's a trial feature, then they better send a tech to my house to swap it out with one without it for free as I don't want dead weight.

I grew up on manual trans cars, drove a bit of Rallye as well as an amateur.
But I would not downgrade the Audi/VW DSG I have in my GTI to a manual. Fuck that.

I've driven a few DSG like designs. Never liked any of them. Without the manually foot activated clutch it just wasnt the same. Might as well ahve been driving an automatic IMHO.

I've driven a few DSG like designs. Never liked any of them. Without the manually foot activated clutch it just wasnt the same. Might as well ahve been driving an automatic IMHO.
Of course its not the same as a manual. That would be a downgrade.
It's a dual clutch box you can activate with paddle shifters or the stick when you choose to, and it shifts faster than you ever could. And you can leave your left foot on the brake.
Or you can just let it shift in Auto mode when stuck in traffic.
Yeah it just isnt the same.

Of course its not the same as a manual. That would be a downgrade.
It's a dual clutch box you can activate with paddle shifters or the stick when you choose to, and it shifts faster than you ever could. And you can leave your left foot on the brake.
Or you can just let it shift in Auto mode when stuck in traffic.
Yeah it just isnt the same.

I'll concede that the DSG type systems are the most efficient and fastest way around a track. There is a reason real race cars use systems like these.

I am not a professional driver though, and I don't drive like on the track out on public roads. (no one should)

I'm going for my own satisfaction in the driving experience. It doesn't matter if it's not as fast. There is a real joy and satisfaction in doing it all yourself.

My van has some Chyrsler online bullhonkey, let you start the van, unlock doors, send a destination for the gps whatever from an app/website, but it was clearly listed as a trial, although the price after trial wasn't clear --- when it ended, I deleted the app, we used it like 3 times anyway. My Ford car has the same thing, but for some reason Ford doesn't charge for it (and the premium service to do something I don't understand was discontinued... but the open/start/locate still works)

Future Facebook Market ad: 2021 BMW for sale, 65K miles, may have ventilated and heated seats, may have adaptive cruise control, may have 360o parking camera. Device locked to Texas. Not jailbroken.

Back