Thank you Noctua! Amazing company.

Zenshi

Gawd
Recently, I upgraded my PC from a LGA 775 motherboard and a Q9550 to a i5-3570k and a LGA 1155 motherboard (see sig). I had been using a very old Noctua NHU9 cooler I purchase over six years ago when I was on a socket 939 AMD setup. I was wondering whether I would have to go buy another cooler when I found out Noctua made a adapter NM-13 for attaching recent NHU9 coolers to LGA 1155 motherboards. When I asked Noctua, not only did they tell me the adapter was backwards compatible to coolers as old as mine, they actually sent me a complimentary adapter since I was an owner of a Noctua cooler, even a six year old one.

I am amazed at the fact that they make it possible to attach old coolers to my new setup. Even more, their customer service is AMAZING! I just got the adapter today and I will be posting picks of the setup.

Now I know. If I ever need another cooler in another rig, make mine Noctua!

Pretty sure most decent companies will supply you with adapters for fitting older coolers onto newer boards.

Still, Noctua is a great company.

As superficial as it is, I wish they'd make fans that weren't colored in shades of "beige and excrement"... Would make buying their stuff much easier! :D

That is pretty great service right there! I was going to use their cooler for a 3770k build, but that just seals the deal. Good service is hard to find these days and I love rewarding it with my business.

This is good to hear. I'm on the verge of purchasing a NH-L12 for my 3570K and hearing this makes me feel even more comfortable with the purchase. Now if Noctua would only make a VGA cooler for the HD7xxx series...

@ Eureka! I am not sure if such replacements are standard. This Noctua cooler has been adaptable for Socket 478, 939, LGA 775, AM2, and at least 1155 if not more. I am not sure of any other cooler that can adapt to so many motherboard types. And both the AM2 and the 1155 adapters were given to me free just for owning the six year old NHU9 (of which Noctua has had several revisions but the adapters work on all models).

This level of service and consideration in design was quite surprising for me. I would have never expected my cooler for socket 478 would work with my 1155 board.

I do agree their fan colors are hard on the eyes. :p

Almost all heatsinks that are still being produced will have adapters. The fact that the NHU9 has gone through several revisions but retains the same mounting mechanisms guarantees the older models will have adapters available for them.

If the heatsink was discontinued, and doesn't share the mounting mechanism with any other models, then you will have a hard time finding adapters for future motherboard variants. However, it seems like AMD and Intel are keeping the same mounting mechanisms for the moment, with the last major change being 1366 to 2011.

IMO the great part about this is that you got it for free, and that's it. The fact that they have adapters is to be expected because the newer models use the same retention mechanisms as the older ones.

As superficial as it is, I wish they'd make fans that weren't colored in shades of "beige and excrement"... Would make buying their stuff much easier! :D

agreed. their price tag would be much easier to swallow if it weren't for the awful colour scheme.
don't completely agree on description of colours being "beige and excrement". i'd say more 'off-beige' and 'rust'.
Noctua, Noiseblockers & GT's are pretty much my go-to for quality fans.

You say the same thing but with such pretty words... :)

thank-you kind sir, wasn't trying bounce around a particularly awesome vocabulary. just trying not to plagiarise what you'd already said succinctly. jesus i've done it again...;)

it's really easy to paint a fan ;)
often thought of doing that myself, the only thing that stops me is the fear i'd unbalance the fan blades. as they're not cheap fans, not worth the risk to be rid of the eye-sore.
having said that, painting the frame would probably alleviate the problem. the beige outer frame wouldn't 'pop' so much if painted a darker colour or just black.

A lot of companies will make adapters. Its easier and cheaper than redesigning a whole new cooler for each socket..

Just an updated pic of the rig with the Noctua back on again. The adapter is great with all stainless parts and really easy to mount. Had to raise the fan just a bit to clear the high profile RAM but aside from that, I can run much more quiet (since I am running the fan quite slow) and cooler on the NHU9 at 4.0GHz than I could with the stock cooler at 3.4GHz. I am happy using the cooler I got on sale back in 2006. :)

dscn0178s.jpg

Back