Thank [insert deity of choice] for Knoppix!!!

twyztyr

Gawd
I fucked my Windows 2000 box up, not sure how, but it won't boot, and gives me a BSOD error for about a millisecond before it reboots. All I can see are the words Corrupted and Log File. I happened to have a copy of Knoppix sitting there, so I tossed it in, and it looks like it's going to allow me to save all my stuff before I wipe the partition and start again.

Reinstalling is a bitch, but at least I didn't lose all the data. I'm definitely a Knoppix fan, and this experience definitely made me want to pay more attention and learn it a little more.

Knoppix is a beautiful thing. I keep all my critical stuff on a file server with mirrored HDs or on my laptop, I Save all my stuff on a separate partition.

i sorta did the same thing, except i used a suse live cd. those bootable linux cds are quite handy.

A network card with PXE-support and a (FreeBSD, in my case) netboot server can also be quite handy. :D

piller1999 said:
i sorta did the same thing, except i used a suse live cd. those bootable linux cds are quite handy.

Hell yeah... Linux utilities have bailed my Windows machines (Servers included) out of more trouble that any other tool. That is sort of what got me into Linux in the first place... I just love the password changing utility NTPassword Crack from http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd . Its also a registry editor :-P

Joe

I did the same thing to my Dad's company laptop.. booted up w/ the Gentoo install cd and modprobed for ethernet drivers, then mounted the win2k ntfs drive readonly mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/win2k and pulled all of his project files to a network drive. His IT said "wow.. we don't have that" when I told him about it.. saved him about 2months of work.

It's fitting, in a way, that Linux is the best tool for rescuing things after windows problems. :D

Back