TH7-II and newer P4?? HELP

jhtevans

Limp Gawd
Hey - I've got an Abit TH7-II Raid mobo and I'd like to slap on a new processor -- see sig below. I just got a Northwood P4 (2.8) and I'd like to throw it on this board -- Will it run?

By the same token, will a P4 1.7 (400mhz FSB, 256k L2) run on a i865 board? albeit slow?

KoZLop said:
Abit TH7-IIR has a 423 socket and that 2.8ghz has a 278
Wrong. The Abit TH7-IIR is Socket 478. (The Abit TH7-R, without the "II", was Socket 423.) Unfortunately, it officially supported only 400MHz FSB Pentium 4's (no 533MHz or 800MHz FSB CPU support). Therefore, you cannot run a 2.8GHz Northwood P4 CPU on that TH7-IIR, since the only 2.8's available require official support of either 533MHz or 800MHz FSB. The fastest P4 non-Celeron CPU that you can throw on that TH7-IIR would be a 2.4 (plain, no letter) GHz P4 (Northwood core/no HT), the only 2.4GHz P4 that uses a 400MHz FSB. The other 2.4GHz P4's - 2.4A (Prescott core, 533MHz FSB, no HT), 2.4B (Northwood core, 533MHz FSB, no HT) and 2.4C (Northwood core, 800MHz FSB, HT) - will most likely be unable to run at all on that mobo. You won't be able to run that processor to anywhere near its stock speed - in fact, you'll only be able to run a 2.8 Northwood at 1.4GHz or 2.1GHz - even if your 2.8/TH7-IIR combo even boots up at all.

Additionally, there are no known 1.7GHz P4's that use even a Northwood core - every single 1.7GHz P4 ever manufactured used the Willamette core. (There has been a 1.6A, 1.8A and 2.0A P4 that all use Northwood cores - but no 1.7A or 1.9A.) Most i865-based motherboards will not even work at all with any Willamette-core processor; they will support only Northwoods and Prescotts.

there were p4 1.7 northy's however they were only mobile, i know, i got the first one i could get my hands on in my laptop

Morpheus256 said:
there were p4 1.7 northy's however they were only mobile, i know, i got the first one i could get my hands on in my laptop
I was mentioning desktop P4's. Mobile P4's use a completely different socket that's incompatible with any desktop P4 socket, to my best guess.

Morpheus256 said:
actually thats the cool part, intel uses the same socket for both, a while back p4m's in desktop boards was a fad becuase they ran cooler, and thus could oc greater
http://www.vr-zone.com/guides/Intel/P4M/
I've just read that article. Pity that some desktop motherboards will only run that mobile P4 at 1.2GHz - and you cannot even adjust the multiplier on those particular motherboards.

And yes, my "best guess" about mobile P4's is quite a bit off. :eek:

The TH7-II will run fine at 533FSB, it has pci and agp locks. It is somewhat of a risk to run over the "official" spec but I've even had this board at 720MHz FSB with no problems, Hell I bet it would run 800FSB if it wasnt for the Rambus holding it back.

Hi,

Yes, the last post is correct. You can run a P4 533FSB on an Abit TH7II board if you overclock. I used to have mine overclocked a while back.

You need to ensure that the rimm modules you use are the 40ns though. If you manage to get your pc to boot running at 533FSB with 45ns modules your lucky so go for the 40's.

Having said all this why not upgrade the board etc. You can get a good price for the rimm's and old kit and then go and treat yourself.

Chris

Back