TF2 -- "Warning: Connection Problem"

Almost every time I try to join a server in TF2 it says Warning: Connection Problem in small, red text in the top-right corner of the screen. Then I just get disconnected. Any ideas what might be causing this? It's incredibly annoying because, like I said, it happens almost every time.

Thanks in advance.

your router blocking ports?

Do you have some funky home network setup? If so ICS (Internet connection sharing) can be a PITA.

Do you play any other Steam game's online and have they also done that? It sould like it could be you're router. Run you're internet from the cable modem if you can just to check. if that does not work maby a clean install of the game. gl

Server not in the states? If its happening on everything check your router and firewalls as others have said. Try connecting to another steam game and see whats going on.

I know some of the Admin Mod's out there are causing crashes with their early versions working out the bugs.

Thank you for all of your suggestions. The thing is, sometimes I can get on a server, but most times when I enter the game (usually instantly, but definitely within the first minute) the screen just freezes but the timer at the top continues to count down. Then, after a few seconds of it being frozen, that text appears in the top right corner. If I can get some servers, would this rule out a problem with my router?

How would I go about checking if my router is blocking ports? It's a BT Home Hub, by the way, and I live in the UK but it seems to happen on a wide variety of servers no matter what their location.

Occasionally I play CS:S, and I haven't noticed it happening with this. However, I haven't played recently so I can't be sure. When I get some time I'll try out a few CS:S servers and see if the same thing happens.

Back