tf2 update will have crafting. lol

Pretty underwhelmed by this update, with the usual unbalanced classes again, the messed up steam connections today it's just a mess as always.

Underwhelmed by the weapons and additions, I dont think any of them are really balanced properly, the direct hit is underpowerd (yes i can hit dead on with it thanks, dont bother whining about aim), and the whole turning the demoman into a melee character with that charge is stupid as hell, they should have added det packs or grenades or something useful, the buff he gets vs explosives is stupid, he can charge right into a bunch of soliders and just lop heads off left and right, just really stupid.

Bonk was nerfed now more or less useless, the new map I played was pretty shit, the CTF bridge one, just loads of gay camping like normal CTF because defence with sentries is so easy, no one ever coordinated to push far enough for the briefcase.

Overall pretty lame, im just going to try and have fun getting some achievements and shelve TF2 again, I honestly just cannot get into this game, the massive amount of general stupidity in the public servers, even clan/community ones is infuriating.

Demoman melee is balanced, people just need to learn to pull out their shotguns or melee back instead of trying to shoot them explosives or light them on fire. Pyros should be winning every battle against these melee demomen with the axetinguisgher. A direct rocket hit will stop them mid charge and Natasha will stop charges also. A lot of these demomen cannot aim their pipes either meaning they can be taken out easily. The melee demoman gives us more options as can he push through parts of maps that are completely locked down by explosive spam and the pipebomb launcher is still perfectly capable of taking out sentries. I think the new sticky launcher needs a larger clip to be more effective, it's really not very good compared to the normal sticky launcher as you lose almost all of your offensive power. Once you use your traps you become fucked.

As for the solider the direct hit is perfect, it is the first unlock to directly reward skill. I don't even use the normal rocket launcher anymore as one shotting some classes at close range is very nice. I feel the Equalizer is straight upgrade from the shovel though. You can basically two shot people when you get low and you run insanely fast. I think they need to do something to either the shovel or the Equalizer to make the shovel a viable alternative. All of the secondaries are viable, the boots if you don't have a medic and like rocket jumping, the shotgun for running around with a medic, and having at least one or two bugles on the team just makes everything easier.

One of my friends and I who used to play non-stop when they game was first released find ourselves playing non stop now. Now, engineer update please.

I must have some bad luck, I haven't "found" a single new weapon for either demo or soldier.

The more Valve adds to this game, the more I think they're just using it as a testbed for some kind of HL first-person MMO game. Crafting? Hats? New weapons with levels? Creating storyline for each character? Seriously, if I wanted that, I'd just go play WoW or some other MMORPG.

The bottom line is they took a popular game series and concept (QWTF, TF, TFC) and can't stop manipulating the game mechanics and dynamics to leave well enough alone. Yeah, free content is nice, but when I bought the game as part of the Orange Box preorder, I didn't expect it nor did I feel it was necessary.

Hats don't really affect your gameplay though, neither do character storylines. Valve clearly dropped the bomb this time, since half of the time, I can't access my weapons due to "loadout" being offline / not connected to Steam servers or whatever stupid reason. This is not a conceptual problem. Rather, this is an implementation problem. Good ideas, shitty coding and execution plan.

Hats don't really affect your gameplay though, neither do character storylines. Valve clearly dropped the bomb this time, since half of the time, I can't access my weapons due to "loadout" being offline / not connected to Steam servers or whatever stupid reason. This is not a conceptual problem. Rather, this is an implementation problem. Good ideas, shitty coding and execution plan.

I only had this problem the 1st half hour after the patch release (2 nights ago). Hasn't come up since, so I think it varies based on what ded. servers you're playing on.

I've been getting that loadout problem on a ton of servers. Must be something with the implementation imo.

I've stuck to the same small group of favorite dedicated servers. Haven't had any problems since the patch night (which was chaos lol). I've seen the loadout problems even before the patch, so I know it's something specific to the dedicated server you are playing on.

I'm actually enjoying not playing with any of the added weapons. It's back to basics and people with skill shine.

I'm actually enjoying not playing with any of the added weapons. It's back to basics and people with skill shine.

To be honest for soldier, regular launcher + buff banner + equalizer = best combination. Direct hit is good though and I have fun with it (but its because its new :D). Shoot feet then mini crit them in the air. I will most likely switch back to regular rocket launcher soon enough, its just way more destructive. But will switch to direct hit depending on the map.

They're going to fix the problems, they always do ...

I have all 6 achievement milestones reached for both classes but didn't get the Targe, for some reason. However knowing Valve this'll soon be rectified ...

I must have some bad luck, I haven't "found" a single new weapon for either demo or soldier.

I haven't either. I've "found" weapons for every other character, but nothing with demo or soldier.

To be honest for soldier, regular launcher + buff banner + equalizer = best combination. Direct hit is good though and I have fun with it (but its because its new :D). Shoot feet then mini crit them in the air. I will most likely switch back to regular rocket launcher soon enough, its just way more destructive. But will switch to direct hit depending on the map.

Not sure you really comprehended the post. But that's okay.

Hm, not sure if I like this update or not. Despite all of the camping on whatever map I play, this update kind of put me in an indifferent state about this game. From the ridiculous Demo melee packs to the one shot Soldiers... I think I'll hold off until the novelty wears off.

I wonder if they increased the damage a regular rocket does. I swear I was taking down a lot of people with direct non-critical 1-shots with the soldier today.

Yeah, and I can't wait till the soldier/demo thing dies down. Much needed, most servers don't have engies or medics :mad:.

What kind of servers are you playing on? Every server I play on has engies AND medics. I don't understand what's with the pub server criticisms. The people on pubs are pretty good. Not all of them, but a very significant portion of the regulars know what they're doing. Also, you have to remember that you bear some of the responsibility for choosing a proper class. Don't see an engi but know that you're a good engi? Volunteer yourself. The "I'm not doing it because it's his job" attitude will lose you games.

What kind of servers are you playing on? Every server I play on has engies AND medics. I don't understand what's with the pub server criticisms. The people on pubs are pretty good. Not all of them, but a very significant portion of the regulars know what they're doing. Also, you have to remember that you bear some of the responsibility for choosing a proper class. Don't see an engi but know that you're a good engi? Volunteer yourself. The "I'm not doing it because it's his job" attitude will lose you games.

Yes I always get a kick out of the guy screaming for more medics.........who isn't a medic. Or the people who complain about teleporters needing moved, or dispensers..yet won't spy check or kill the enemies blowing your shit up.

Well its an over exaggeration, but there is usually like 1? I'm by no means a pro medic, I try but when everybody is a Soldier?? Have fun dodging 15 rockets.

Also as an engie, when you're the only one on the team and they bum rush you with 15 soldiers.. good luck.

There is only so much that can be done by yourself.

I'm no newb when it comes to TF2, and when something needs to get done I switch out of classes. I've played TF games since forever. So to assume that someone who complains about that doesn't do it (Switch classes) is just plain silly. Whatever, not like the game was ever competitive in the first place, this game is pretty much the epitome of carebear when it comes to FPS.

Still having fun, I can own people left and right with the direct hit, I still feel the sword is dumb as a demo. Demo is my second fav class behind soldier and I think the sword needs a nerf. Run into 4 soldiers and kill all four, nice.

Last edited:
I "crafted" all my new and old weapons (except the DH and pickaxe + a few others that were left over) and made like 10 class tokens and 2 slot tokens or something, Amazing how useless "crafting" really is I had 1 full page and half a second page of weapons and managed to turn them into 12 useless circle things that have zero use...Looking at the current drop rate I'm gonna say I'll be able to make something I don't have (a hat maybe) in about a years time

This update is whack, why did they give the Solider AND Demoman weapons that give them speed buffs? If anyone needs a weapon that gives them a speed buff it should of been the Heavy, seems like all the new updates/weapons are ruining the balance this game once had.

ps; the demo unlocks don't fit the theme of the game, and he got a re-skinned sticky launcher... weak valve

Last edited:
This update is whack, why did they give the Solider AND Demoman weapons that give them speed buffs? If anyone needs a weapon that gives them a speed buff it should of been the Heavy, seems like all the new updates/weapons are ruining the balance this game once had.

ps; the demo unlocks don't fit the theme of the game, and he got a re-skinned sticky launcher... weak valve

For the demoman to have a speed buff he has to get 4 kills first and starts off with 25 less health, also he cannot critically hit randomly with melee. For the soldier to get a speed buff he has to be low on health and he cannot be healed while he has that weapon out. You talk like they gave them permanent speed increases when both of these buffs are very situational. The Equalizer needs to be nerfed though or the shovel buffed, because right now that pick axe is a direct upgrade to the shovel, not a sidegrade.

For the demoman to have a speed buff he has to get 4 kills first and starts off with 25 less health, also he cannot critically hit randomly with melee. For the soldier to get a speed buff he has to be low on health and he cannot be healed while he has that weapon out. You talk like they gave them permanent speed increases when both of these buffs are very situational. The Equalizer needs to be nerfed though or the shovel buffed, because right now that pick axe is a direct upgrade to the shovel, not a sidegrade.

I wasn't aware they couldn't be healed when using the equalizer.......has this been recently added or always been like that?

Also, a few things I am wondering about they've been part of the updates but don't seem to be mentioned since.

Valve was supposed to evaluate servers and rank them so that if I server was fudging it's numbers by reporting 20 people on when it's empty, it would be ranked down accordingly...which I don't seem to see happening ever. I joined multiple empty servers reporting 20+ people on each earlier this morning.

The other is, there was supposed to be a trading system, so you could trade items to other players. Did they cancel this? I mean it seems infinitely more useful to trade items to other people and get their "useless" dupes in return for crafting, as it helps both people.

Im assuming the engineer is still going to get an update, but I could see them not getting it with past level 3 dispenser/teleport update.

And I still think they need to crank the drop rates up on stuff. I dunno if it's some kind of cheat, but I saw people getting like 4 drops at a time. I still haven't gotten a drop hat after all this time and I think I've only gotten 1 weapon since the day of the patch (the day when the drop rates seemed to be like 4-5x higher than normal).

Ummm wrong.....with the The Chargin' Targe all you have to do is right click and the demoman takes off in a run/charge for a specific time/distance. This makes him run a lot quicker then he normally would and is rechargeable . Also with the soldier, if I want to run quicker I would just hurt myself with a rocket and take out the Equalizer for a speed buff. Regardless of were and when the class gets a speed buff, in my opinion they did not need it as they keep up with the team fine..... it's always the heavy falling behind.

Last edited:
Since the Engy is the only one left without an update, should we brainstorm ideas for the engy update? How about a wrench which has a higher probability of crits, but repairs slower? A special ability or wrench which repairs faster, but upgrades slower? The ability to build a foxhole/sandbags in place of a sentry (stick a heavy and a dispenser inside, for example)? A dispenser which supplies ammo/metal faster but heals slower? A sentry which fires rockets faster, but doesn't have the shotgun/miniguns?

Heh, I guess heavies now need to use natascha to slow people down haha. Though its not very good..

Since the Engy is the only one left without an update, should we brainstorm ideas for the engy update? How about a wrench which has a higher probability of crits, but repairs slower? A special ability or wrench which repairs faster, but upgrades slower? The ability to build a foxhole/sandbags in place of a sentry (stick a heavy and a dispenser inside, for example)? A dispenser which supplies ammo/metal faster but heals slower? A sentry which fires rockets faster, but doesn't have the shotgun/miniguns?

Overall I hope they don't go for weapons so much as alternatives to what they can build or how they interact with their built items.

I'd like to see em get a stealth teleporter, only shows up to enemies when it's used and while it's recharging. It would not be upgradeable. Maybe need to make it a little more efficient than L1 teleporters, but not quite as good as L2.

Wouldn't mind having some way to blow sappers off a sentry from a distance. Maybe replace pistol with some kinda de-sapper.

Oh and kinda joking but kinda serious. Handcart, so you can build stuff then move it to another location with it.

Overall I hope they don't go for weapons so much as alternatives to what they can build or how they interact with their built items.

I'd like to see em get a stealth teleporter, only shows up to enemies when it's used and while it's recharging. It would not be upgradeable. Maybe need to make it a little more efficient than L1 teleporters, but not quite as good as L2.

Wouldn't mind having some way to blow sappers off a sentry from a distance. Maybe replace pistol with some kinda de-sapper.

Oh and kinda joking but kinda serious. Handcart, so you can build stuff then move it to another location with it.

Check this out (fake, but very good) - http://www.teamfortress.com.br/engineerupdate/day01.html

Click the day 1 for next page, I think there is 5 days

Valve was supposed to evaluate servers and rank them so that if I server was fudging it's numbers by reporting 20 people on when it's empty, it would be ranked down accordingly...which I don't seem to see happening ever. I joined multiple empty servers reporting 20+ people on each earlier this morning.

this was just a bullshit pr stunt to appease the forum whiners. there is absolutely zero consequence for any ops to run the plugin, unless their server truly sucks otherwise. by now it's come to the point where it's basically a necessity for them to have it, and valve has pretty much accepted it as general use. people have realised that they are not planning to do anything about it, and there's an organised blacklist in dev that you can use if it bothers you that much.

the flaw in this system is that if it's generally a good server, then the ones who stay will always outweigh any negative points they get from quitters, so it really does nothing to make the server browser any more useful.

Ummm wrong.....with the The Chargin' Targe all you have to do is right click and the demoman takes off in a run/charge for a specific time/distance. This makes him run a lot quicker then he normally would and is rechargeable . Also with the soldier, if I want to run quicker I would just hurt myself with a rocket and take out the Equalizer for a speed buff. Regardless of were and when the class gets a speed buff, in my opinion they did not need it as they keep up with the team fine..... it's always the heavy falling behind.

OK and to charge he has to lose his sticky launcher. There are drawbacks to these buffs. I've been raping all these classes as scout so it's really no problem. Heavy is best indoors, always has been always will be. You have to play in spots of the map where your enemies cant get too much range on you.

My only complaint with the heavy is if the mini-gun could get a tighter radius for damage.

I've just been playing Pyro because all there is right now is demo and soldiers, <3 airblast.

But overall I can't stand the updates so far. The new sticky and the rocket are great -- both have pros and cons, but the melee weapons are just ridiculous.

I agree, the targe and eyelander seem pretty cheap, its hard to run away from that charge. It's probably gonna be nerfed like the sandman.

I agree, the targe and eyelander seem pretty cheap, its hard to run away from that charge. It's probably gonna be nerfed like the sandman.

If you just side step (assuming there's room)...the demo can't turn until he breaks the charge or it stops on it's own. The soldier one is a little tougher, but for them to be really fast they are below 50 health.

I think the scout is the counter to the soldier, because the scout is faster still than the soldier....and it'd only take one shot to kill him in most cases.

As for the demo charge, if you are faster than him..once you side step and get a little distance he can't catch ya without a couple heads collected...and he's collected those because people don't dodge they run backwards in a straight line.. I mean the sword is plain as day, so if you see it out you know he's going to charge. Sidestepping even a little will throw off their swing and they probably will lose their chance at the crit hit after charge. If you're a pyro, airblast him sideways and up if you can..that'll disorient him. All they have to do is fix the hit radius of it, it does weird stuff like the ubersaw and spy knife, where it won't look like he should be able to hit you and boom. Although Im not sure it's something they can even tweak.

Got some good playing time in this weekend. Took me about 15 hrs to get all my Soldier weapons but it was worth it! The Direct Hit and Equalizer are awesomesauce.

TDH isn't as unbalanced as I thought it would be cause the regular Rocket Launcher and The Buff Banner really wrecks the frontlines for some impressive pushes. Nothing beats the TDH + Shotty + Equalizer for when you go lone-wolf though. Shame about The Gunboats; I thought that would be a misc slot equip but it takes up my shotty D:.

I'll have to work on getting my Demo stuff this coming week!

That's what I've been saying, Regular Rocket Launcher + Buff Banner + Equalizer IMO is the best all around build for soldier.

The solider updates are nice although the equalizer seems a bit too strong. The demoman weapons seem out of place and don't fit in the game. They should have given the demoman something else.

If you just side step (assuming there's room)...the demo can't turn until he breaks the charge or it stops on it's own. The soldier one is a little tougher, but for them to be really fast they are below 50 health.

I think the scout is the counter to the soldier, because the scout is faster still than the soldier....and it'd only take one shot to kill him in most cases.

As for the demo charge, if you are faster than him..once you side step and get a little distance he can't catch ya without a couple heads collected...and he's collected those because people don't dodge they run backwards in a straight line.. I mean the sword is plain as day, so if you see it out you know he's going to charge. Sidestepping even a little will throw off their swing and they probably will lose their chance at the crit hit after charge. If you're a pyro, airblast him sideways and up if you can..that'll disorient him. All they have to do is fix the hit radius of it, it does weird stuff like the ubersaw and spy knife, where it won't look like he should be able to hit you and boom. Although Im not sure it's something they can even tweak.

The Sword is supposed to have a larger melee range... because it's a 6ft long sword. The spy knife and bottle BS is because of server lag. I kept getting bottled by this demo when he was like 10ft away from me. It was retarded.

I've been using the sword a lot with the Targe and it's an interesting combo. Having the bomb resistance is nice I must say. You take a lot of damage. I rarely charge with the sword because it's so easy to miss and you can't really control where you go or when you stop. It's really odd. But close quarters is nice for lopping heads. The only real complaint is that I don't feel it's powerful enough. I'll hit a guy like 4 times and he won't die.

I hit a soldier or a demo last night with a direct nade and then twice with the sword and he didn't die. That's just not right.

I can't get used to the sword targe combo. I'm too used to sticky jumping.

From what I've heard though the Resistance is hard to use. I just need one more achievement to get that so I'll check it out today. I'm trying to do the Demo and soldier achievements with straight up gameplay so I don't don't accidentally inflate my stats. Gives me something to work towards.

I can't get used to the sword targe combo. I'm too used to sticky jumping.

From what I've heard though the Resistance is hard to use. I just need one more achievement to get that so I'll check it out today. I'm trying to do the Demo and soldier achievements with straight up gameplay so I don't don't accidentally inflate my stats. Gives me something to work towards.

Unless you can aim the pipebomb launcher very well you pretty much lose all offensive capability when you use the scottish resistance. It kinda sucks.

Back