TF2 Pyro update this Thursday

Valve has announced that the Pyro class update for its online multiplayer shooter Team Fortress 2 will be released this Thursday, June 19.

The update includes three unlockable weapons—such as the previously unveiled Axtinguisher—which can be obtained via 35 new class-specific achievements. Valve has previously stated that the Pyro update will also include "significant changes" to the core class which will be enacted regardless of whether players have the new weapons.
In addition to the new weapons and achievements, two user-created maps for the game will be included in the update. To tide players over til Thursday, Valve plans to release Meet the Sniper, the latest video in its series of comedic class profiles, tomorrow morning. The developer also revealed that it will hold another Team Fortress 2 free weekend, allowing players who haven't yet purchased the title to play the game for free from Friday morning through Sunday evening. During that time, players can download and play Team Fortress 2 from Valve's downloadable PC gaming platform Steam free of charge.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53168

Wow...I am impressed, I was not expecting another update until mid/late July. Guess I will be staying away again for another weekend, while I feel the free weekends are good, just cannot stand playing in them.

I'm surprised they didn't include the rest of the unlockable weapon descriptions with this announcement. I'm not sure when they released all of that info with the medic one, but I'm pretty sure it came before the update itself.

Who else doubts we'll be seeing another torrent of angry threads, this time damning the servers overflowing with pyros?

Baring Steam, I would have to say Valve is the greatest game company in the world.

Who else doubts we'll be seeing another torrent of angry threads, this time damning the servers overflowing with pyros?
I'll be killing a lot of pyros, but I'm guessing constant instant flame death form 3 directions is going to get old pretty quick.

I'm going to get on achievement servers and level up the lame way because God knows I won't be able to naturally get that one achievement where I have to burn someone then drown myself and at the same time grab my ass and kill five solders at the same time before I die of drowning.

I'm going to get on achievement servers and level up the lame way because God knows I won't be able to naturally get that one achievement where I have to burn someone then drown myself and at the same time grab my ass and kill five solders at the same time before I die of drowning.

Learn to be more pro. I can do that in my sleep with one hand tied behind my back. :p

Maybe Valve could fix the wireframe bug that prevents me from disconnecting from a server to join a new server instead of adding more achievements that 50% of people will get from special achievement servers anyway.

Free weekend to go along with the pyro patch... I'm sure the new players will enjoy that.

S**t.

Now I will be on fire in every server I go into.
I swear when the medic upgrades were released, in every server I went, 1/2 my team was a medic for at least a week.
Why don't they release all the upgrades at once so there isn't a mass majority of players going to 1 class for achievements?
With them all available there wont be crazyness.

Just a though.

It will still be fun regardless :D

I see a massive BBQ fest for a short while... Hopefully the novelty of the new pyro weapons and achievements will extinguish quickly and things will go back to normal.

U.M.

yep, just like medics. after a week or two the hordes of pyros will be gone.
choose this time to pick a class good at killing pyros and rack up some kills.

hopefully the achievements aren't stupidly hard like the medic ones either.

It's unlikely Valve would release the remaining character updates in one large update. I think it would be wise to release a few packaged updates with an update for at least two characters instead of just one. I feel that way at least you wouldn't have a bunch of teams with just one class.

valve doesn't care about that, they are trying to maximize interest and "newness" to the game to sell more copies.

True, but they do a wonderful job at it. The game has been out for roughly 8 months and they still have everyone sitting on the edge of their seat waiting for the next update. Including a couple user maps and recognizing the community is a great idea too. You'll encourage other people to polish their level design with a chance to get their map featured in a future update. No one does it quite like valve. Sure they're in it for the money, but at least their strategy includes developing and supporting quality games.

True, but they do a wonderful job at it. The game has been out for roughly 8 months and they still have everyone sitting on the edge of their seat waiting for the next update. Including a couple user maps and recognizing the community is a great idea too. You'll encourage other people to polish their level design with a chance to get their map featured in a future update. No one does it quite like valve. Sure they're in it for the money, but at least their strategy includes developing and supporting quality games.

Overall they are doing a great job, they just need to tweak the way they are doing the achievement crap, because it makes me want to not play for 2 weeks until all the retards get off "the lastest cool character". It will happen everytime a new achievement deal comes out for a class...so much for TEAM fortress. Medic fortress, Pyro fortress, etc.

I agree, but it's just the nature of the beast. New content = people scrambling to check it out. I, for one, don't really care that much.....I'll work on achievements on my own time, not during the first weekend the updated stuff is out. Plus, maybe I'll get time in on sniper so I can feast on all of those pyros that are gonna be running around. :cool:

Yeah its no big deal, but if you are the kind of person who gets upset when your team doesn't actually try to win the match and instead is running aruond trying to get achievements, youre better off not playing for a week or two.

recommendation for thursday and 1-2 weeks after

spy?? forget aaa`bout it!!!!!!

This is totally a guess, but I'm going to say cp_steel and cp_redstone. They're two of the highest quality custom maps I've played.

Redstone is confirmed as not one of the bundled maps by the map designer (dammit), but steel seems like it would be a shoo-in. Then again, redstone also seemed like a given but that's not in it. Either way, we'll know pretty soon.

S**t.

Now I will be on fire in every server I go into.
I swear when the medic upgrades were released, in every server I went, 1/2 my team was a medic for at least a week.
Why don't they release all the upgrades at once so there isn't a mass majority of players going to 1 class for achievements?
With them all available there wont be crazyness.

Just a though.

It will still be fun regardless :D

I believe they don't do that for testing and balancing issues, by sending updates once at a time, it gives them more control over new weapons and allows them to avoid balancing issues. It's also a good marketing idea as you can draw back the old tf2 players who left for cod4!

I think Meet the Sniper has caused the steam forums to implodicate from sheer volume of people trying to find the video.

Is it delayed?

It just went up on Steam a few minutes ago. I must say, it's much better than Meet the Scout was. It's back on par with the Soldier, Engineer and Demoman videos.

Also, at 1:14 seconds into the video, you can get a glimpse of what looks like one of the new pyro weapons.

Back