TF2 performance problem

exe163

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,
I just got TF2 recently, and with the spec on my sig, under this setting:

I can get around 30fps under heavy battle, for last gen cards I am more than happy with the result.

But 30fps is not that smooth (unless playing as engy). so I lowered res, turned off all the AA and AF, and lowering almost all other setting, and get around only get around 50-60fps. And for some reason, the game does not feel as smooth as it running on higher setting for some reason.

I heard there is a rate tweak to it, can you guys help me get most performance and graphic quality out of the computer I have? (aiming for 60fps)

Odd. My 7900GT gets 60+ FPS maxed out, and your 7800GT SLI setup should be a bit faster than my card. Have you installed the latest drivers?

30FPS? man that's really weird. Your cards should have no problem running the game maxed out. You sure you don't have like 16x AA forced in the driver control panel?

You have a nice system, so you should be able to run it smoothly at high settings but obviously that is not working. If changing drivers does not fix the problem. you may have to resort to running in DX8.1 mode which is done by typing in -dxlevel81 in the launch options in steam for TF2

I do this, It doesn't look great, but it runs perfectly

Thanks for the replies, I get 30 fps in battle, 60 in spawn.

7900GT running smooth at max setting? Are you sure it can do that on 1920 x 1200?

I will try to reinstall the driver again.

brb :p

Just did a clean re-install of the graphic driver, now its running 60-50 most of the time, 100+ at base. :D:D:D

Thanks a lot, one off topic question, is there a free updated version of driver cleaner? I checked the site again now they ask for money, I still have the old one installed, don't know if its out dated or not.

And some times when I am running around 60 fps the game still feels unsmooth, is fps and ping only factors that control the smoothness of the game?

Guru3D.com makes available a free driver cleaner - Driver Sweeper - that blows away "Driver Cleaner."

uninstall drivers using driver cleaner or whatever, reboot, do a fresh driver install, reboot
defrag the harddisk if you haven't done it in a while.

those cards should do really well.

the same thing happened to me when bioshock came out, it was *terrible* performance. then I realized I hadn't done a driver clean in along time. installing new versions of drivers over the old ones over and over eventually will screw it up.

Drivers are fine as long as you follow the instructions to install them carefully.

Driver cleaners are rarely needed unless your installer is corrupt or something interupts the install process.

Back