TF2 and Vista - How does it run?

mokkapoop

[H]ard|Gawd
I know that most you you guys have the TF2 beta installed and are playing it, but I am curious to know how it is running on a Vista Ultimate machine.

Tonight I took the plunge and upgraded from XP Pro to Ultimate. I will be purchasing Orange Box tomorrow, but want to know how the TF2 beta will run on the following config:

Dell E521
EVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E
2GB DDR2-800 Kingston
AMD X2 5600+
250GB SATA 7200RPM HD
Windows Vista Ultimate 32BIT
Dell E205WFP 20" Widescreen

How will it run? Should I upgrade to 4GB ram tomorrow (will this even help?)?

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

runs great on my rig (Q6600 @ 3.2, 8800gts 320, 2 gig). However, it (not sure if it's TF2 and/or Steam) does suck a lot of memory when I'm playing. Thinking of going to 4 gig.

So it would be best to upgrade to 4gb tomorrow? I can get the ram cheap, but dont want to waste money either..

Try it with XP first. I, and others, are having lots of "freezing" issues in Vista. I have another rig with Steam and I will try to download TF2 to my XP rig tonite.

I would really wait on installing Vista.

I have a Quad 6600 with 4gb Crucial memory and a 8800 GTS.

Quite good. It runs smoother than any other game I've purchased in the past year.

I'm playing at 1920x1200 and almost all maxed, just a few down on AA and AF, all else maxed. I'm getting around 30fps steady, but what I love is, that 30fps in this game feels like a solid 50-60.

System:
3800+
7800gt
2 gig ram
xfi

Ha, I just read the thread dealing with what fps are you getting. Based upon what others are getting it looks like I should be getting -fps.
Hmm, thats strange.

Hope this helps
Bob

playing on 1680/1050 everything high + enable and 4x aa/8x af w/ rig in my sig
i have fps_max 60 and its solid 60 never drops below.

Do you guys recommend I get the 2gb more of ram to upgrade to 4gb before I run the game?

Will Vista Ultimate alone run better with more ram?

Runs awesome here, vista 64, e6600, 8800GTX - not a single crash - vista ultimate

With that said I have the latest beta nvidia drivers, however I havn't for months got any crashes from HL2/Counterstrike/NS/etc and this is basically the same breed.

Make sure you do "clean" driver installs, there shouldn't be any crashing, steam/hl2 are really stable on Vista.

Runs awesome here, vista 64, e6600, 8800GTX - not a single crash - vista ultimate

With that said I have the latest beta nvidia drivers, however I havn't for months got any crashes from HL2/Counterstrike/NS/etc and this is basically the same breed.

Make sure you do "clean" driver installs, there shouldn't be any crashing, steam/hl2 are really stable on Vista.

QFT, and same here except a Q6600 and 4GB RAM.

8800GTX
C2D E66600 @ 3.0Ghz
4Gb RAM
Vista 64bit

The game runs in max settings at 1680x1050 8xCSAA and 16xAF about 100FPS in quiet areas, about 50-60 FPS when all hell breaks loose on a 24 player server.

On my first load of the game the tab button to bring up the scoreboard crashed the game, but since then everything has been fine, the scoreboard works ok, the steam friends wossname-mah-doodle works OK, no random crash to desktop or locks.

Runs like a champ on the rig listed below using vista 64. I am getting the looping sound crash but there is a fix for it however I cannot confirm it.

using fraps I'm getting 100+/- frames per second with high detail accros the board @ 1650X1080

I'm running Vista 32-bit with the following:

Core 2 Duo E6750
2GB ram
8800 GTS (factory overclocked)
On board sound (Gigabyte GA-PS35C-DS3R motherboard)

With max settings at 1680x1050 and the game ran flawlessly for 2 hours straight last night. That's all I've gotten to play so far, but I had been having problems with Episode 1 before yesterday. Though I downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers and the hotfix from MS before I started playing TF2, so I'm suspecting that might have something to do with it :)

It runs great, and it will run even better when they implement the Multi-Core portion of the engine.

Right now it only uses one core with max 30% of the total CPU. With just a quick test in the HL2 Particle Test, it uses all 4 cores in some fashion, with max 65-75% of the total CPU.

I am just watching the G15 display to view the loads.

OK...time for someone with less than a 7900 card to comment....

I unfortunately have to turn it down, my 6800GT AGP can't seem to handle it will max settings. To prevent any drops below unplayable levels, I actually have turn the game down to almost bottom-level settings for every option. The sad part is that in XP, it ran on max everything flawlessly. I simply feel that the NVidia Vista 64 drivers aren't optimized for AGP at all.

EDIT: I just realized what was causing the lack of performance - TF2 ran fine when I turned off Desktop Composition.BIG difference. Now I'm going to try it with all the other slow games I have.

The rig in my sig, 8800GTX Core2Duo 3.4Ghz runs absolutely spectacular. It couldn't possibly be better. 1680 x 1050, vertical sync on, 16xaa, 16af, everything on high totally maxed no exceptions, minimum frame rate of 57fps, usually totally locked at 60FPS. Vista home premium. TERRIFIC, and this is DX9.

all these guys with 8800's and dual/quad cores that say it runs great...

I'm having a good time with an A64 3200+, 6800 ultra, and 1GB ram on vista home basic. 1280x1024 (lcd). Everything isn't maxed, but its not low either.

Back