Texting While Driving Up 50 Percent Despite Warnings

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It’s bad enough that drivers talk on their cellphones while operating a motor vehicle, but the number of drivers turning to texting while driving is dramatically on the rise. With that rise, the number of highway deaths associated with phone distraction also increased. The laws in 35 states that make it illegal to text while driving are having little or no effect on the trend.

The NHTSA also held a separate telephone survey of 6,000 drivers and found that 18 percent of adults admitted to texting while driving, and about 50 percent of drivers aged 21 to 24 said it was part of their repertoire.

I live in a state with texting and cellphone use while driving bans, everyone still does it. Dickheads, all of them.

Texting while driving proliferates because people are spending more and more time in-traffic. Make it so people spend less time driving sub 40 miles an hour (or stop and go) and you'll have a reduction in texting

I wish cops could take the person's phone when they get caught and stomp on it. Sure, it's a bit overboard, but, hell, people that AREN'T texting while driving, or passengers, don't deserve to die because of this stupidity.

Texting while driving proliferates because people are spending more and more time in-traffic. Make it so people spend less time driving sub 40 miles an hour (or stop and go) and you'll have a reduction in texting

I use my cell phone when I'm driving, or at least I did when I was working. Currently job hunting. I use a headset, but that's generally meaningless since its conversation which causes most the distraction, and as I understand it most experts agree with that.

I'm fully aware that I will be ticketed at some point, but frankly, I don't care. Staying in contact with people from work and clients during the hours and hours I spent in my car each day was a job requirement, period. I'm not losing my job while people are free to turn around and talk to passengers, put on makeup, eat, and fiddle with their GPS.

I was on the brakes of my car and started to text, and didn't realize I had my foot too light on the pedal... I tapped the car in front of me going about 0.5 mph.

Got out at the same time the driver of the car in front of me did. He saw no damage, I apologized, and he sped away without saying a word.

Probably an illegal.

I was on the brakes of my car and started to text, and didn't realize I had my foot too light on the pedal... I tapped the car in front of me going about 0.5 mph.

Got out at the same time the driver of the car in front of me did. He saw no damage, I apologized, and he sped away without saying a word.

Probably an illegal.

He was probably texting too LMAO

Probably an illegal.

Or no insurance (depending on where you are requiring insurance or not).

They need to treat texting while driving the same as drunk driving. Immediate loss of license and you have to pay $2000 or more if you want it back. There is no excuse for typing on a fucking phone while you're supposed to be driving. Talking is different, I wish people wouldn't do it, but there are some reasons why they do, and at least they are looking at the road while talking.

What we really need is some kind of IQ test to go along with the driving test. 90% of car accidents would probably be avoided if people left more than 1.5 feet between themselves and the car in front of them, and put down the fucking makeup, phone, sandwich, newspaper, and tablet.

Can't trust drivers as a pedestrian these days. The chance of them seeing you at all and then properly following the give way rules is getting smaller and smaller.

While I wish there was something we could do about the congestion problems, I do a LOT of driving and see people texting no matter where or how fast they are driving. People are just stupid morons who are overconfident in their driving abilities.

Texting while driving proliferates because most people got it into their minds that everything is so fucking important it has to be dealt with that second. Hell the poster above saying it's far too important to lose clients,etc... could have an office you stay in, with office hours, or a personal assistant, or take public transportation.

At least that poster had a some what legitimate excuse, 99.9% of the time its idle chatter that people do whether texting or talking. I swear if I see another "mom" with a phone next to her ear while driving a mega-SUV and trying to make a turn with one hand on the wheel I'm going to ... well I'll bitch and moan and not do anything other than that like always, but I would like to grab that cell phone and run away.

While I wish there was something we could do about the congestion problems.
We can, however people pound their chests really hard and declare a computer will never drive their car!

Seriously, its a technology that would work, and its one that is so vehemently objected to, yet would make traffic all but disappear overnight if implemented.

Indiana only bans texting and talking. So all you have to do is claim you weren't texting, you were looking at GPS or the time or something. What they need to do is ban using a cell phone in any way without a hands-free device while the vehicle is in motion. This will allow people to check their phone while stopped in traffic jams, at red lights, in the drive-through, or while pulled over to the curb, but if a cop sees you using one while making a left turn, he can pull over and ticket you.

This doesn't surprise me. I almost got ran down just the other day by some bitch with her nose in her phone. She had a pretty nice car too so it's too bad she didn't hit me.

This doesn't surprise me. I almost got ran down just the other day by some bitch with her nose in her phone. She had a pretty nice car too so it's too bad she didn't hit me.

Same thing, I honked at someone who was too busy on their phone and almost hit me on the side. Stopped at a stop light and they rolled down their window asking why I was honking...well maybe because you almost killed me and my two kids. Warnings are just a slap on the wrist, just as police officers monitor school routes they should just pick some popular streets and visibly watch what people are doing...maybe a few cameras.

If i ever get hit by someone who was texting, his phone will get stomped on. And I will explain this to an officer.

If i ever get hit by someone who was texting, his phone will get stomped on. And I will explain this to an officer.

And then, he arrests you for breaking the law. I understand your feelings but, think about how bad your day just got.

I'm pretty sure using a cell phone while driving in PA is going to be a 500 dollar fine soon. Can't come soon enough IMO.

They need to treat texting while driving the same as drunk driving. Immediate loss of license and you have to pay $2000 or more if you want it back. There is no excuse for typing on a fucking phone while you're supposed to be driving. Talking is different, I wish people wouldn't do it, but there are some reasons why they do, and at least they are looking at the road while talking.

What we really need is some kind of IQ test to go along with the driving test. 90% of car accidents would probably be avoided if people left more than 1.5 feet between themselves and the car in front of them, and put down the fucking makeup, phone, sandwich, newspaper, and tablet.

Part of the problem is that they define driving as sitting behind the wheel of a car while its running, whether you are moving or not... :rolleyes:

I am angered by people who text while operating a moving vehicle, but I have no problem what so ever with people looking at their phone and sending a "honey, I'm on my way home" message while sitting at a red light. I do this all the time, and I have no shame for it.

Problem is, if I'm ever caught by police they will call it texting while driving. It's bullshit Unless the car is moving, I'm not driving it. I'm sitting behind the wheel of a stationary car.

I won't even reply a text if I'm playing video games or watching a movie, let alone while I'm driving. I guess I just don't get this whole texting thing, especially people who have long conversations using text messages.

Zarathustra[H];1038132334 said:
Part of the problem is that they define driving as sitting behind the wheel of a car while its running, whether you are moving or not... :rolleyes:

I am angered by people who text while operating a moving vehicle, but I have no problem what so ever with people looking at their phone and sending a "honey, I'm on my way home" message while sitting at a red light. I do this all the time, and I have no shame for it.

Problem is, if I'm ever caught by police they will call it texting while driving. It's bullshit Unless the car is moving, I'm not driving it. I'm sitting behind the wheel of a stationary car.

Exactly. The assholes always ruin it for everyone else.

Well opposite most other people on this thread... I vote -> Fight the Power! Good to see people saying a big FU to stupid laws that can't be enforced.

Only certain people can multitask well enough to do shit like this. No, you are probably not one of them. I am so leave me the fuck along and talk/text and drive!

Don't you just hate typos that take all the credibility out of what you just said. Darnit... alone***

Honesty people caught texting while driving they should honesty be looking at an instant licence suspension.

The phenomenon of morons texting and driving is a new one... I have no doubt that in a couple of years the data will show the number of fatalities is much much higher.

This is totaly anecdotal... I have a brother in law that is in law enforcement. He has told me he has attended many more accidents the last year or so that where basicly lower speed accidents that where still fatal. In most cases the issue is people are simply not hitting the brakes.... texting will kill you. Its basic physics a car that even taps the breaks reduces momentum enough that 20-30 mph is not going to kill you.... I honesty didn't believe him when he told me he was scrapping people off the road in accidents at those speeds... insanity.

Zarathustra[H];1038132334 said:

This gave me an idea about why the people are using phones in traffic, and because of this bullshit, honey I'm going home and so on. Wireless technologies are really used for complete crap if we exclude distant communication and business. Doesn't matter if the vehicle is standing at red light or moving, it's the fact that people don't endure long without saying some shit to somebody and that's why they text when driving vehicles, working with machines and so on.

Honesty people caught texting while driving they should honesty be looking at an instant licence suspension.

At which point they simply begin driving with a suspended license because they require their vehicle to get to work or whatever. It's the same problem they have with DUI drivers, especially ones with a low income. They screwed up, but when it comes to putting food on the table for their kids, they do what they have to do, so they get in a cycle and start racking up fines and potentially jail time.

Of course there's a real reason they don't do that for other offenses: The DUI system is setup as a cash cow. The classes for alcoholics, the ignition interlocks, provisional license fees, it's huge money for various parties. There are no Texting Anonymous classes they can mandate, or ignition interlock equivalents to make anyone money.

So I will admit fully to responding to text messages while driving.. Normally its a simple message that says "call me". I hate texting while driving, but to be simple my life doesn't stop while I am in the car & at least 2 or 3 times a week a text or call while driving means I am changing routes & going somewhere else.

Any almost hit a pedestrian texting cause they weren't watching and walked out into a intersection with oncoming traffic? Happened to me when I was visiting my cousin in downtown Oakland.

What will happen is that insurance companies will ask the carriers whether or not the phone was texting at the time of the crash. If so, they will refuse payment. The more this happens, the faster people will stop texting while driving.

What will happen is that insurance companies will ask the carriers whether or not the phone was texting at the time of the crash. If so, they will refuse payment. The more this happens, the faster people will stop texting while driving.
It again shows that people think their lives are evaluated in cash, if I die, or I will be for the rest of the life disabled, unable to move or otherwise wounded and impaired, I honestly don't care about any money they refund me because it basically wont pay up for the quality of life I once had.

At which point they simply begin driving with a suspended license because they require their vehicle to get to work or whatever. It's the same problem they have with DUI drivers, especially ones with a low income. They screwed up, but when it comes to putting food on the table for their kids, they do what they have to do, so they get in a cycle and start racking up fines and potentially jail time.

Of course there's a real reason they don't do that for other offenses: The DUI system is setup as a cash cow. The classes for alcoholics, the ignition interlocks, provisional license fees, it's huge money for various parties. There are no Texting Anonymous classes they can mandate, or ignition interlock equivalents to make anyone money.

Good point. I think the last stat I saw was something like 70% of people with suspensions drive anyway. Of course many of those people get into uninsured accidents... and the stats on the number of those people that commit suicide is sad. So perhaps your right. Hitting them hard in the pocket book with increased drivers license fee perhaps would be the better way to go (same thing that happens in most places to speeders)... giving people a couple stiff wake up calls before the cost of their license forces them to choose between a bus or being an uninsured driver.

Then you will be at fault for causing the accident because you will be viewed as that you took it in your own matters to hit that person and destroy their phone to prove a point. So not only your day was screwed up by this driver, you just made it even worse by your own actions.

My wife and I almost got hit at Target Friday from someone trying to back out of their parking spot while texting. I was yelling to stop lol and she just kept going so we ran around her car and I yelled IDIOT. She looked up from her phone and gave the normal "It's not my fault face" expression.

Normally I like to slam my hand as hard as I can against a persons car to freak them out, but I forgot.

Well opposite most other people on this thread... I vote -> Fight the Power! Good to see people saying a big FU to stupid laws that can't be enforced.

Only certain people can multitask well enough to do shit like this. No, you are probably not one of them. I am so leave me the fuck along and talk/text and drive!

There is a difference between multitasking and not looking at the fucking road for 50% of the trip. Texting is not distracted driving, driving has become distracted texting.

Really? We shouldn't make it illegal to drive like fuckhead simply because some people will get away with it?

Back