Texting Behind The Wheel Should Be Same As DUI

Texting Behind The Wheel Should Be Same As DUI

DUI? That's whack. Texting while driving should be treated as a sex crime!

You life isn't that interesting or important. You don't need to update your status on facebook to let everyone know just how boring you are - especially when you are trying to drive - they already know.

Driving is a privilege not a right. First-time texting-while-driving offenders should get a thumb or two broken.

X10.

Damn good post.

as a sex crime...YES...! Registered text offenders!!! Shun the pariahs!! UNCLEAN!!!

I wonder what an injection of botox into the thumb muscles would do vs breaking them.:D

Its banned up here in Canada now, but until the ban smoking while driving, I can text while driving

hot cherry in the lap is slightly more distracting than texting IMO

People basically need to understand that not everyone is equal. This whole equality trip is a load of crap that is destroying freedom and rights for the American people. Some people can easily and safely text while driving where as others can't. It doesn't stop at texting however - If I can safely talk on the phone and drive and safely text on the phone and drive, and safely use a shotgun or a handgun at a shooting range etc etc doesn't mean that the next person can safely do that. Just because the next person can't safely do it shouldn't mean an outbreak of banning or government legislation to screw over those who are actually more able.

Just something for you hippies to think about.
You are a fucking idiot.

You are a fucking idiot.

Enjoy being raped and pillaged by gov. rules and regulations until you can't smoke a cigarette and drive at the same time because you are distracted by "ashing" or the "nicotine buzz".

It's a basis not for texting while driving but a basis for not having the gov tell you how to poop and when to poop. You wouldn't understand becuase you'd rather live oppressed by asinine laws for 120 years than to live with the ability to have choice for 80. Quality of life vs. quantity of life. Anyone and everyone is obsessed with longevity. - Live free or die.

My older brother just got an iPhone. He is one of the type that can't put it down. Now when he's on the road and meeting me for lunch, he asks me the address. On the road or not, he types it into the iPhone for a map. The MESSED UP part is most of these places he has been to already. It's as if he has givin up using his brain and decided the iPhone can do all the thinking for him.

I feel this is a growing trend and there should be harsher laws using hand-held devices on the road.

In the UK it was originally a £30 fine for using a mobile phone but in 2007 that was increased to £60 and 3 points, still get quite a few people using them in there hands even after this increase.

I don't want anything banned, but I do want the legal ability to beat the living crap out of the person who crashed into me while doing something stupid in their vehicle. They are piloting a several thousand pound lethal weapon. If they aren't in control, how is that any different than me randomly popping off rounds from my AK? They hit me with their lethal weapon, I hit them with mine. Fair enough, right?

Enjoy being raped and pillaged by gov. rules and regulations until you can't smoke a cigarette and drive at the same time because you are distracted by "ashing" or the "nicotine buzz".

It's a basis not for texting while driving but a basis for not having the gov tell you how to poop and when to poop. You wouldn't understand becuase you'd rather live oppressed by asinine laws for 120 years than to live with the ability to have choice for 80. Quality of life vs. quantity of life. Anyone and everyone is obsessed with longevity. - Live free or die.

Exactly! I much prefer to live a short and free life than a long one under some governments iron fist, always looking over my shoulder because I don't know if what I am doing is "allowed" by those who think they own me.

Wait, you think it is okay to do it at the lights? Eyes off the road is good at the lights? I see the infection is spreading.

I agree.

Thousands of people are killed every minute by people stopped at a light with the brakes on. WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!?!?! :rolleyes:

I find it amusing people think it's safer to text at intersections considering that's where majority of accidents occur.

Light turns green, their focus changes from their phone to the road. They're not completely focused yet and don't think to check for oncoming traffic, or look too quickly. Bam. Accident.

Oh sure, it'll be the other guy's fault because they tried to race through yellow just a hair too late.. but still..

"Exactly! I much prefer to live a short and free life than a long one under some governments iron fist, always looking over my shoulder because I don't know if what I am doing is "allowed" by those who think they own me."

Yes...pesky how troubling it is to live in a society, all those pesky rules keepin' us down.

Perhaps you should quit paying income taxes too.

Be sure to drive 70 mph through every school zone too; better breeding through eugenics- only the strong survive!

And why bother with a crowded road in rush hour when the sidewalks are so open? Live free brother! Show 'the Man' you won't take those arbitrary restrictions on your freedoms!!

And drive nekkid!!!

When did Americans get this "I have a right" to anything I want entitlement attitude? Must have been about the same time they lost all critical thinking skills.

:rolleyes:

Yes...pesky how troubling it is to live in a society, all those pesky rules keepin' us down.

A FREE society... you know the lies we keep telling the rest of the world and then bomb them until they accept our "free" way of life...

Perhaps you should quit paying income taxes too.

Already done... I work hard for my income, it doesn't belong to anyone but me. You want it, try and take it from me.....................

Be sure to drive 70 mph through every school zone too; better breeding through eugenics- only the strong survive!

And why bother with a crowded road in rush hour when the sidewalks are so open? Live free brother! Show 'the Man' you won't take those arbitrary restrictions on your freedoms!!

Now you are just being ridiculous and nonsensical....

And drive nekkid!!!

I'm sure you mean "naked", and I see no issue with this...

When did Americans get this "I have a right" to anything I want entitlement attitude? Must have been about the same time they lost all critical thinking skills.

:rolleyes:

When these crazy bunch of guys got together, killed a bunch of British people, and wrote a Constitution...........

I find it amusing people think it's safer to text at intersections considering that's where majority of accidents occur.

Light turns green, their focus changes from their phone to the road. They're not completely focused yet and don't think to check for oncoming traffic, or look too quickly. Bam. Accident.

Oh sure, it'll be the other guy's fault because they tried to race through yellow just a hair too late.. but still..

Last time I checked, that involved moving your vehicle, which is distinctly not stopped at an intersection. Driving out into an intersection without looking is caused by stupidity and a lack of proper driving habits, not the fact that I was sending a text while I waited for the list to turn green.

Last time I checked, that involved moving your vehicle, which is distinctly not stopped at an intersection. Driving out into an intersection without looking is caused by stupidity and a lack of proper driving habits, not the fact that I was sending a text while I waited for the light to turn green.

*for the light to turn green

WTB: 30 seconds of editable time after posting.

Conversely, when did some people get the idea they have the right to control people and tell them not only what they are allowed to do, but how they are allowed to do it? :rolleyes:

Conversely, when did some people get the idea they have the right to control people and tell them not only what they are allowed to do, but how they are allowed to do it? :rolleyes:

You mean civilization? I guess you can go live in Somalia if you want, but last item I checked rules about what people could and couldn't do were a key component of civilization. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry you're no longer allowed to run people over while texting on your phone. Heaven forbid the safety of others is put above your God-given right to get drunk and high before going for a 200MPH car ride in the middle of the night with no headlights while maintaining voice and text conversations.

Last time I checked, that involved moving your vehicle, which is distinctly not stopped at an intersection. Driving out into an intersection without looking is caused by stupidity and a lack of proper driving habits, not the fact that I was sending a text while I waited for the list to turn green.

Yeah stupidity is the sole reason for everything, ain't it? :rolleyes:

It's never about not concentrating or paying attention. Always a justification for texting while driving.

"You mean civilization? I guess you can go live in Somalia if you want, but last item I checked rules about what people could and couldn't do were a key component of civilization."

Precisely.

"Conversely, when did some people get the idea they have the right to control people and tell them not only what they are allowed to do, but how they are allowed to do it?"

See above. Geez, people, no one is making you stay here. Find another place that will let you do whatever you want.Your 'right' to 'whatever' is only acceptable insofar as it doesn't endanger me. Driving distracted endangers innocent 3rd parties. Grow up. You're on a public roadway, obey the laws.

Hmmm...in the state of Texas the use of deadly force is permissible in defense of a third party.

Good point.

But seriously, let's be realistic here.

Someone is typing out a text and the light turns green. Do we REALLY think that they are going to put the phone down instantly, and continue driving?

No. They'll start driving and finish typing their text or surfing or whatever they were doing after they leave the intersection.

Seriously.

At-light-texting? Gimme a break.

At-text-lighting is saying that the situation is deemed a safe zone and it is okay to text. I think that people here are arguing about whether or not people are mentally equipped enough to make the judgement to text at appropriate times in the car. There is an appropriate vs. inappropriate time to text. Rush hour traffic is a no no, but if I'm on a wide country road (where I know the factors of traffic, population, etc) then you can make an educated call that this is going to be a much much lower risk area to text in. However, each situation is dynamic and nothing is static so it's not to say that there's a 0 chance that you're going to hit something or someone no matter where you are.

I do text while I drive but I take the time and consideration to see where I am and how it's going to affect my driving and the others around me. I think this is where people fail to use their heads, and can screw it up for people by rear ending others, etc while texting anywhere becuase they feel it's "THEIR RIGHT".

The argument comes down a liberal view that people are responsible enough to be reasonable or the conservative view that they need to be controlled and mandated and told what to do.

I just want people here to see that if you ban it at texting where can it stop? When you actually need to use your GPS to make an adjustment or hit the detour button on your GPS when there's traffic are you going to actually pull over to click and change it? Obviously not, so it's hypocritical to say well ban texting but keep my GPS "rights" in tact, or ban texting but keep eating food while driving in tact.

I also think that the 16 year old teenager who rear ended you becuase he/she was texting is going to rear end you no matter if texting is banned or not. They will find another "distraction" in the car whether or not one thing or another is banned.

It has to come down to - are you able to safely text while drive ? - where I think some people are different than others. Some can multitask and some can not for the life of them. Know your abilities, know what you can do, and then do it safely.

I'm sorry you're no longer allowed to run people over while texting on your phone. Heaven forbid the safety of others is put above your God-given right to get drunk and high before going for a 200MPH car ride in the middle of the night with no headlights while maintaining voice and text conversations.

I don't even have my phone on in the car, let alone do any texting... I have some of this long lost ability I call "responsibility".

But heres the big glaring problem with these bans.... THEY DON'T WORK! There is no law that flies out and snatches the phone from your hands. You can physically do this activity all you want. Yacking on the phone while driving is already banned here... guess what? Broads are still yacking away while plowing through the lanes in their big ass SUVs. Nothing changed other than politicians think they are "getting stuff done". :rolleyes:

I don't even have my phone on in the car, let alone do any texting... I have some of this long lost ability I call "responsibility".

But heres the big glaring problem with these bans.... THEY DON'T WORK! There is no law that flies out and snatches the phone from your hands. You can physically do this activity all you want. Yacking on the phone while driving is already banned here... guess what? Broads are still yacking away while plowing through the lanes in their big ass SUVs. Nothing changed other than politicians think they are "getting stuff done". :rolleyes:

Very true, enforcement of no talking on the phone or no texting on the phone will not be a priority for our state troops or town troops. Around here (CT) they banned talking on the phone and it was a big deal for about 3-6 months, then the hubub cooled down and enough law abiding citizens picked up headset pieces so that the general populous was happy about it. So now that the talk has calmed down people are back on their cell phones, or using them on speaker phone or still traditionally holding them up and using them without being ticketed or fined.

Is a state trooper really going to see a 4 inch long half inch thick device held up to your ear as you go by at 75mph? OR in this case see what it is you're looking down at? It's only really effective if they're driving up alongside you and if they choose to enforce the law if they do spot you.

See above. Geez, people, no one is making you stay here. Find another place that will let you do whatever you want.

So basically: Do things my way or leave. And you are telling me to grow up? You have the right to stay in your bubble wrapped house if you find it too dangerous outside.

Your 'right' to 'whatever' is only acceptable insofar as it doesn't endanger me.

There is a difference between endangering and actually harming. "Endangering" is a very wide definition....

Driving distracted endangers innocent 3rd parties. Grow up. You're on a public roadway, obey the laws.

So you never speed? You stop fully at all stop signs? You inspect every square inch of the roadway for nails that could puncture your tires and cause you to lose control of your vehicle, potentially crashing into and killing a bus full of nuns, children, and puppies?

Hmmm...in the state of Texas the use of deadly force is permissible in defense of a third party.

I agree fully. Which is what I brought up earlier. Let people text and drive. If they hit me I will retaliate with equal force. Vehicles are deadly weapons and must be treated as such.

This! It should be much more than a parking ticket .. like at least $50. and second time like an infraction or something .. my 2 cents

I want it much harsher. $50 is nothing to them kind of people. Minimum needs to be $2000. Make it some ubsurdly high amount that they CAN"T afford to always get caught and just pay the fine. Second offense would warrant revocation of licsense for a year, and third offense permanent loss of licsense.

I want it much harsher. $50 is nothing to them kind of people. Minimum needs to be $2000. Make it some ubsurdly high amount that they CAN"T afford to always get caught and just pay the fine. Second offense would warrant revocation of licsense for a year, and third offense permanent loss of licsense.

$250 would do cut it for me. $250 and points on your license that must be reported to your insurance company.

Someone is typing out a text and the light turns green. Do we REALLY think that they are going to put the phone down instantly, and continue driving?

No. They'll start driving and finish typing their text or surfing or whatever they were doing after they leave the intersection.
Now you're just generalizing.

At-light-texting? Gimme a break.
No. No break for you.

True.... except for the fact that statistical analysis says that drunk driving, seatbelt, bar liability, open container, new-driver BAC, and open-container laws are all effective...

Just because you plan on ignoring a law doesn't mean the average person will. Especially after they start getting tickets and their insurance skyrockets.

"Is a state trooper really going to see a 4 inch long half inch thick device held up to your ear as you go by at 75mph? OR in this case see what it is you're looking down at? It's only really effective if they're driving up alongside you and if they choose to enforce the law if they do spot you"

Here in Houston the cops set up checkpoints under overpass u-turn lanes and check for inspection/registration stickers along with seatbelt use...looking for a handheld phone will be no big deal.

It's also a means to assess liability and punishment after the fact as was the case in Britain where phone records were examined after a fatal accident:

From the New York Times dated Nov. 2, 2009:
" In the hour before the crash, she had exchanged nearly two dozen messages with at least five friends, most concerning her encounter with a celebrity singer she had served at the restaurant where she worked.

They are filled with the mangled spellings and abbreviations that typify the new lingua franca of the young. “LOL did you sing to her?” a friend asks. Ms. Curtis replies by typing in an expletive and adding, “I sang the wrong song.” A last incoming message, never opened, came in seconds before the accident.

With that as evidence, Ms. Curtis was sentenced in February under 2008 British government directives that regard prolonged texting as a serious aggravating factor in “death by dangerous driving” — just like drinking — and generally recommend four to seven years in prison."

So you think people should be allowed to drive piss drunk if they want to?

I will make the assumption you do not know the difference between pooping and driving while not looking at the road.

Let me help you understand, when you poop, you do not need to take your eyes off the road. When you text, you do.

We do not let blind people drive. Why not? Because they CANNOT SEE THE ROAD.

Did you also know the government would not need to have so many rules if people, such as yourself, would do the smart thing?

"Did you also know the government would not need to have so many rules if people, such as yourself, would do the smart thing?"

And sadly, with the lack of critical thinking skills curriculum and the lack of understanding regarding moral, casual and legal responsibility, not many people think of the greater good ("the smart thing").

:(

So you think people should be allowed to drive piss drunk if they want to?

As long as you don't hurt anyone, or anyone's property, have at it. But the second you slip up, punishment by the victim should be swift and painful. You can't regulate responsibility, it must be experienced.

Back