Text In Traffic, End Up On A Billboard

HardOCP News

[H] News
This "don't be a TWIT campaign is kinda funny. Well, except for the part where they want you to take your eyes off the road so you can snap a picture of somebody else not watching the road. :rolleyes: No one has their eyes on the road in this picture (even the guy in the far lane).

Whoa hoo, look at that guy, I'm sure he's a safe driver.:rolleyes:

I say fine the shit out of them and install cell jammers in cars. Whats really so important to check your phone than driving?

Actually they are pretty clear on the how to participate page that you should not be driving while taking pictures. They recommend that only passengers take the pictures.

I say fine the shit out of them and install cell jammers in cars. Whats really so important to check your phone than driving?

I agree with fining the shit out of them, but no jammers please. I don't need someone ending my call for me when they drive by.

Also...the time (I don't wear a watch anymore and the car's clock is sometimes off by a few minutes).

Plus better maps on phone.
A driver in Fresno even got a ticket reversed.

I agree with fining the shit out of them, but no jammers please. I don't need someone ending my call for me when they drive by.

Agreed, theres no reason to jam people who arent in the drivers seat.

Cell jammers not gps jammers.

What if your passenger has a heart attach and you can't call 911 cause GM put a cell jammer in your call.

Bad idea all around.

I do not support texting while drive however cell service and be a life or death issue.

And no, if someone is having a heart attack you don't have time to pull over and get out of the car to dial 911. You call and get to the closest hospital.

What if your passenger has a heart attach and you can't call 911 cause GM put a cell jammer in your call.

Bad idea all around.

I do not support texting while drive however cell service and be a life or death issue.

And no, if someone is having a heart attack you don't have time to pull over and get out of the car to dial 911. You call and get to the closest hospital.
Or you wreck in a secluded area and are trapped in your car suffering from potentially fatal injuries and can't call for help.

Besides, although a cell jammer may not block your GPS signal, you do still need the cell network for your map data. The cell phone jammer is a bone headed idea. Instead of requiring technology that blocks other technology, how about just develop technology that helps us safely leverage it all? :)

Little Johney can't call 911 to get help for his poor Mommy because some bonehead thought cell phone jammers in cars would be a good idea.

Jammers? Yeah, no thanks. All of my music and map data are streamed over my cellular connection. Not to mention my phone calls, which go to the hands-free system built into my car... :rolleyes:

Not so sure if serious.
Some people are really that bad!

What, you've never driven somewhere you need directions to before? I pull up the directions beforehand, but my memory isn't that amazing that I don't have to look at my phone after 5x turns.

I really like this site. I mean, there's so much diversity in people who text while driving.

How about phones that can only call while in motion hooked to Bluetooth cannot text while in motion and make these features unable to be disabled. Can't be that hard.

Bad idea all around.

Sorry, I'm not a proponent for cell jammers either.

Although maps need the cell network to update directions, cached directs well still be sufficient should you lose cell service.

How about phones that can only call while in motion hooked to Bluetooth cannot text while in motion and make these features unable to be disabled. Can't be that hard.

Great, so a cellphone that you can't use as a passenger in a vehicle without using an unnecessary headset? Yeah, that makes sense :rolleyes:

Jesus, and I was just getting ready for my first flight where I could use my cell phone in air.

Stop thinking preventative, stop trying to turn the tech off. Think instead of how to leave the tech enabled but do it in a way that is not distracting to a driver.

Examples, Text to speech, yes you got a text message, but your phone will transmit it through your car's radio speakers for you to hear and you reply in the same fashion.

Examples, Don't broadcast a map on a HUD, have a HUD that interactively overlays highlights on the lane you need to be in so it simply adjusts what you already see in a manner you can interpret as directions.

Examples, when you look up at those big green signs that list your next exits and such, your HUD highlights your correct destination information making it stand out just enough that it is easier to spot the correct information and read it a little easier, specially in bad weather.

Examples, bad weather, it's hard to see, but my HUD is overlaying the other cars on the road with a green wireframe and even recognizes and shows me enhanced break and signal lights.

These guys need to be thinking how to enhance what we already see, not add to the information new stuff to see.

And if I am in the middle of listening to a call or a text, my HUD can accentuate that car's break lights just to make sure I don't miss them. Just a little kick in the ass to make sure.

I need a new job, I could really dig on this one, I should call Google, they're in the car business :D

I don't necessarily disagree, but hasn't research been done on these HUDs and found that the human brain simply doesn't do well processing all that "enhanced" information at the same time? I thought I had read something along those lines years ago in an article about the HUDs for DARPA's "Future Soldier" program.

I don't necessarily disagree, but hasn't research been done on these HUDs and found that the human brain simply doesn't do well processing all that "enhanced" information at the same time? I thought I had read something along those lines years ago in an article about the HUDs for DARPA's "Future Soldier" program.

Well, it requires some training to be able to process that kind of data, but realistically you can't gain from it with no familiarity.

I'll look into it, but I think the problem is exactly how I am stating it, the Army is using the HUD systems to present additional information, not enhance the information already presented to the viewer. You get the difference right?

I'm really happy text dollars on spent on people that think this is a good idea.

The how about people just ducking drive then instead of endangering everyone because you think your life is just so important that it can't wait till later!

Gov't isn't "bad" but too much Gov't, like pretty much everything else, is bad.

I say fine the shit out of them

• Fine distracted drivers for each victim they injure in non-fatal car accidents including paying their medical expenses as a result of the accident for a maximum of one year. Suspension of drivers license for 3 months or until they complete a set amount of time for drivers education, safety courses, and passing a drivers test again. Drivers at the cause of an accident due to distracted driving will also be responsible for all infrastructure damage such electrical poles and street infrastructure.
  • Fine distracted drivers for each victim they kill as a result of a fatal car accident at no higher than $500,000 per fatality. Require them to pay all their medical expenses for surviving victims for a maximum of one year before or after prison term. Revocation of drivers license post-prison term; no chance for parole or early release. Charge them with vehicular manslaughter and first degree murder for a maximum sentence of 10 years for a single fatality, with an additional 2 years per fatality. Probation after release from prison includes them to have no drivers license until they complete drivers education, driver safety courses and passing the drivers test again.
That should be harsh enough for them. And, if they have repeat offenses, make them take public transportation and automatic denial of a new drivers license for a set period of time.

• Fine distracted drivers for each victim they injure in non-fatal car accidents including paying their medical expenses as a result of
  • Fine distracted drivers for each victim they kill as a result of a fatal car accident at no higher than $500,000 per fatality. ...
That should be harsh enough for them. And, if they have repeat offenses, make them take public transportation and automatic denial of a new drivers license for a set period of time.

Fine ALL drivers for each victim. I can't figure out how society somehow got the notion that killing somebody due to driver incompetence was better than killing somebody due to in attentiveness or intoxication. The penalty for poor driving should be severe enough that drunk driving /texting laws should not even be necessary.

Also, if you can't safely send a text while sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, you have no business driving at all.

Fine ALL drivers for each victim. I can't figure out how society somehow got the notion that killing somebody due to driver incompetence was better than killing somebody due to in attentiveness or intoxication. The penalty for poor driving should be severe enough that drunk driving /texting laws should not even be necessary.

Also, if you can't safely send a text while sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, you have no business driving at all.
You're right, absolutely right.

Drivers while under the influence of alcohol, prescription medicine or other drugs, and drivers that are not paying attention should also face the same severe penalties as those that text while driving as well. No exceptions.

I keep my cellphone off while I drive. If it's so important to text me or call me, leave a message, I'll respond when my car is parked in a parking lot.

So if im driving down the road.. and changing songs on my fucking iphone that im listening too in my car stero, and i somehow end up on a billboard, i simply sue the living shit out of them after admitting into evidence my cellphone log that shows no texts sent or calls made.

Yes, this is a great idea indeed. Please, fucking pick me for the billboard, i wanna retire.

What, you've never driven somewhere you need directions to before? I pull up the directions beforehand, but my memory isn't that amazing that I don't have to look at my phone after 5x turns.

If looking at your phone doesnt take your eye away from the road, fair enough.
But if its in your hand, thats not good practise.

All of those people look the same. Phone in right hand, staring down, half paying attention to the road. Like zombies. If you killed one they would just keep coming.

So if im driving down the road.. and changing songs on my fucking iphone that im listening too in my car stero, and i somehow end up on a billboard, i simply sue the living shit out of them after admitting into evidence my cellphone log that shows no texts sent or calls made.

Yes, this is a great idea indeed. Please, fucking pick me for the billboard, i wanna retire.

If you are looking at your iPhone while "changing songs" then you are doing the same thing as that guy texting.

You are paying attention to the phone, not the road.

You can still kill someone while distracted by trying to find your Justin Bieber .

Fining doesn't work. Period.

It is too difficult for law enforcement to enforce that law, we've proven that now beyond a shred of doubt over numerous years.

Cell jamming is also not necessary, as there is nothing wrong with the systems in modern cars (or cheap bluetooth adons you can clip to your visor) that allow completely handsfree operation of the phone with voice commands.

My Fiat 500 has its "Blueand Me" built in, so I never have to touch my phone, and my Corvette I added a bluetooth visor thing you clip on and the battery lasts a very long time, and you can dial and answer by voice, no need to take eyes off the road.

So what we need is CARRIER intervention by law, to prevent hands-free operation of the device while in motion, which every smart phone these days can tell if its moving rapidly or not. People on trains/taxis can survive limited functionality of the device for their commute as a sacrifice for the greater good. Somehow we did it in the 90s and we didn't die. If you're super desperate, you can always use a tablet for your commute instead of your phone.

Doh! I meant prevent everything BUT hands-free operation of the device while in motion.

In other words the phone will work, and it'll work as say a GPS for display purposes, but you can't type in a GPS address, type in a phone number, dig through your addres book, reply to an email, text someone, watch a movie, etc. To call someone you'd have to use hands-free features, via bluetooth integration or a single button on the side of the phone for audio command.

Not difficult to do at all.

If you are looking at your iPhone while "changing songs" then you are doing the same thing as that guy texting.

You are paying attention to the phone, not the road.

Wrong a person could be changing a radio station or song on there in-car stereo and just be as likely to end up into a pole without using a phone. People need to have better driving instructions and lessons, because most people very young or very old just cannot even drive in a straight line without distractions lol

Whenever I get stuck behind someone camping in the passing lane, I always get really close to them, take out my phone, turn my head, and pretend to be texting. I'm actually watching them very carefully, but since my head is turned, and the phone is in my face, it looks like I've completely tuned out. 9 times out of 10, they move.

Whenever I get stuck behind someone camping in the passing lane, I always get really close to them, take out my phone, turn my head, and pretend to be texting. I'm actually watching them very carefully, but since my head is turned, and the phone is in my face, it looks like I've completely tuned out. 9 times out of 10, they move.

People owning the passing lane pisses me off so much.

Back