Text 911 in an Emergency?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Being able to text 911 in an emergency? Why is this an issue? It’s almost 2011, kinda makes sense that you should be able to text the cops. Right?

The Federal Communications Commission wants to bring the 911 emergency service into the 21st century with new technologies such as text messaging and automatic alerts. In a speech Tuesday, FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski said it "is time to bring 911 into the Digital Age." He said this was important, as more and more people in the United States use cell phones. Text messaging, in particular, is an important feature to add to 911 call centers, he said.

OMG i c an emrgcy @ intrsct of brwn n smith st. cum quik!!!

maybe sometimes you need to be quiet, so texting is the way to go... like a bank robbery lol

maybe sometimes you need to be quiet, so texting is the way to go... like a bank robbery lol

Yea I can see some instances where texting would be the best way to contact them. In other cases it would probably make things worse. :p

That's a problem for the bank, not me. No way am I going to take extra risk getting shot in a robbery to save some money for a corporation that doesn't really give a crap about me.

That's a problem for the bank, not me. No way am I going to take extra risk getting shot in a robbery to save some money for a corporation that doesn't really give a crap about me.

Right and if you're being held hostage? Still the bank's problem eh...

So all those people who are upset McDonalds only put 1 pickle instead of 2 on there cheeseburger, can now text for help.

Right and if you're being held hostage? Still the bank's problem eh...

The police will find out about it soon enough. No need chancing my neck so the police can find out 10 minutes faster. Bank robbers want money, not much else. In almost every case, if you stay out of their way, you don't get harmed.

If the robber is going to hurt you, guess what, that text message you are going to send out isn't going to do crap to prevent it anyways, and you only risk provoking them by trying to send that text out.

Now Hiring: females between the ages of 13 and 18 to provide translation services for 911 operators.

Yes texting to 911, I can see it now you get shot. You try to dial text 911 but the blood seeps into your phone. Blood fries phone....Your dead.

Hmmmmmm..Yeah it'll only work when your getting robbed at home or at a bank.

So when will we get video conferecing with 911 dispatch?

Yes texting to 911, I can see it now you get shot. You try to dial text 911 but the blood seeps into your phone. Blood fries phone....Your dead.

Hmmmmmm..Yeah it'll only work when your getting robbed at home or at a bank.

So when will we get video conferecing with 911 dispatch?

middle of robbery, we'll whip out our iphones and use Facetime, cause that's how we roll :eek:

If I was in a bank that was getting robbed and held hostage, I would run out of battery on my phone and wouldn't be able to text 911 for help because I'd be on facebook updating my status continuously.

The police will find out about it soon enough. No need chancing my neck so the police can find out 10 minutes faster. Bank robbers want money, not much else. In almost every case, if you stay out of their way, you don't get harmed.

If the robber is going to hurt you, guess what, that text message you are going to send out isn't going to do crap to prevent it anyways, and you only risk provoking them by trying to send that text out.

Not just about notifying the police, but getting them info... like how many "bad guys" there are, how many hostages, what weapons they have... etc.

You can text without looking at the phone too if you have a tactile keyboard and could be pretty subtle about it.

Just saying, it's not a bad idea to have as an option...

if its a bank problem, then maybe a manager or supervisor, or even the owner if he's present would want to text?

can't really argue that it's a bad idea. if it was ONLY accepting texts and no voice calls then yeah bad

I predict that 99% of the LEGIT text messages received by 911 will not contain requisite details for a dispatcher to do their job.

That, on top of the non-legit text messages, like general spam or "OMG Burger King wont make it my way" type complaints that current phone dispatches get.

How in the world is this a BAD idea for certain emergencies where you need to keep quiet?
Or maybe in very LOUD situations? Like at a party where music is blaring and you need to notify police asap that a fight broke out? What about at a concert? Bank managers might want to text police in a robbery? What if you dont have ENOUGH service to make a call, only enough to text? Most of you guys are being completely retarded about this...

Add GPS and user information automatically to both texts (especially for the mute) and calls, and we'll have a more responsive system for certain. Prank texts will probably be treated the same as prank calls.

I actually work in the industry. The problem right now is all about how to receive the text, what to do with the text and where to store it. As you can image, PBX vendors, recording vendors, CAD vendors are all trying to pass the buck to the other guy. It's all part of NextGen 911

main use for this is if you was of "no hearing at all" txting would be the only way if you was on your own with no one els around to make an voice call (and you lack the text to voice device that some have but that's norm only at home)

there are other things i could think of but that would be the best one right now

bit more adv as well would be calling 911 or texting 911 (or 112 is the world wide emergency number) should auto enable Geo location services on the phone and GPS (if available on the phone) text the location after 1 min (even if GPS lock fails send Geo location) text or call was made (even if the options are not ticked on the phone, this would catch out some fake phone callers as well)

Add GPS and user information automatically to both texts (especially for the mute) and calls, and we'll have a more responsive system for certain. Prank texts will probably be treated the same as prank calls.

That is the plan. I sit through webinar about the new 911 last year. What they are planning is for cell phones for both calls and text messages it would pass your gps location along with it. In addition to this, they also want to extent IP info also. They want ISPs to start mapping IP addresses to a address, that way if you use VOIP you can call normall 911 instead of the half ass service that they have. When you call, it would pass your IP and location to have it show up the same way it would for a landline. they also want to have 911 work via IM progams using the same info. that you could use live messenger, aim, yahooo, google... and send an IM message to 911. they also want to add an email address and have the same happen.

The problem with this entire thing is that it required an entire new network be setup for 911 with it being on a network seperate from the internet but still have every branch tied together. every telco / isp would have equipment to tie into the network.

They want to open 911 up to be accessable to everyone regardless of where they are or what they have available to them. for texting, maybe somebody broke into your house and all you can do to remain queit is to send a text, or maybe you have low singal and a call would break up too much but you can get a text out. same for IM and email lets say you are at your computer and something happens and you can't get to a phone. you you send an email or an IM to request help.

That is the plan. I sit through webinar about the new 911 last year. What they are planning is for cell phones for both calls and text messages it would pass your gps location along with it. In addition to this, they also want to extent IP info also. They want ISPs to start mapping IP addresses to a address, that way if you use VOIP you can call normall 911 instead of the half ass service that they have. When you call, it would pass your IP and location to have it show up the same way it would for a landline. they also want to have 911 work via IM progams using the same info. that you could use live messenger, aim, yahooo, google... and send an IM message to 911. they also want to add an email address and have the same happen.

What I still seem to never yet be reading about though is that although video conferencing is already here with cell phones, when is 911 planning to take advantage of this?

Plenty of cold cases knew the identity and location of the victim before the body was even cold, yet never even establish a suspect.

Video of a crime in progress that goes straight to 911 as it's happening can not only let you know about the suspects involved before cops arrive, but also the current situation (or last known in case the perp smashes the phone) at the scene, and can but used as evidence in trial.

You always leave something of yourself at a crime scene (or take away something of the victim), but leaving your damn ugly mug gets lots of perps to plead without even bothering to go to trial.

And since a perp can smash a phone, how about, regardless of video or not, having if you call 911, your phone gets locks into that call, unless you do some nifty key combo pressing to cancel the call that's hard for anyone to do in the heat of a crime, or just have it lock 'til 911 disconnects the call? That way a perp absolutely has to render your phone inoperable for the call to stop. (Yes, unfortunately I am aware that most cell phones probably smash themselves to hell from a two-foot 'whoopsie' butterfingers drop, but still...)

Then again, why not just surgically implant transmitters/receiver into everyone's eyeballs and ears, that way not only can they see when you're being attacked, but can also see the perp's cam. They can they state to Jerome "Take your hands off Shamiqua, otherwise the tazer surgically implanted in your balls goes off. You have five seconds to comply."

At some point it goes too far. Some don't even like that GPS part of their phone. If they wanted someone to potentially always know where they were, they'd have a transmitter implanted in their ass.

Well, this is definitely a good thing for deaf people who can't talk to 911.

Then again, why not just surgically implant transmitters/receiver into everyone's eyeballs and ears, that way not only can they see when you're being attacked, but can also see the perp's cam. They can they state to Jerome "Take your hands off Shamiqua, otherwise the tazer surgically implanted in your balls goes off. You have five seconds to comply."

If they wanted someone to potentially always know where they were, they'd have a transmitter implanted in their ass.

Good ideas, all. Now you're forward thinking. ;)

Back