Texas Police Using Twitter

HardOCP News

[H] News
The police in Denton, Texas have their own Twitter page where every arrest the department makes is listed and mug shots are posted on TwitPic. The page already has 875 followers.

The unofficial Denton Mugshot twitter for Denton, Texas. Programmed by a UNT art photography student, drawing attention to how much public info we put online.

This seems like a gross violation of personal privacy. Post the pics AFTER they get sentenced, if they are found innocent of the charges this is a scarlet letter for them. Imagine a job seeker who is arrested and found innocent of all charges, potential employers aren't going to care that he wasn't convicted of anything, they'll just see their applicant's mug shot and arrest sheet. ACLU where are you?

This seems like a gross violation of personal privacy. Post the pics AFTER they get sentenced, if they are found innocent of the charges this is a scarlet letter for them. Imagine a job seeker who is arrested and found innocent of all charges, potential employers aren't going to care that he wasn't convicted of anything, they'll just see their applicant's mug shot and arrest sheet. ACLU where are you?

so did you not click the link or what?

Wow, I had no idea that my town was doing this. I looked at a bunch of them to see if I knew anybody (I don't). Found one who was arrested for walking on the road when a sidewalk was available (ie jaywalking). I sure hope there was some backstory to that and that they arrested him for other suspicious activity but charged him with jaywalking as the only thing they could pin on him. Otherwise, thats just not right if he was only jaywalking.

they arrest people for speeding? jesus christ

Well considering there aren't thousands of speeders on the list I'm going to assume these are the ones that were doing 40 over and/or told the officer to go fuck themselves.

WTF? Some girl got arrested for "SPEEDING 72 IN A 55 MPH ZONE". Are they joking? Here in Georgia you have to be going 21+ over the speed limit to be arrested. I would have been arrested twice now if I lived in Texas. :D I got tickets for 19 over and 20 over.

The problem here is that if you went and posted pics (or video) of the cops in these cases, they'd flip out...

The problem here is that if you went and posted pics (or video) of the cops in these cases, they'd flip out...

Probably, but then again, the cop didn't break the law. Somehow I think most people would flip out in that case.

Probably, but then again, the cop didn't break the law. Somehow I think most people would flip out in that case.

A lot of those "crimes" weren't severe enough to warrant a breach of privacy for the offenders. The reason why sex offenders and the like are advertised is because of public safety. I mean, what next? Should people who don't pay their bills, have their social security numbers posted in public view?

Here's a decent example of a double standard:

http://news.aol.com/article/police-officer-jokes-about-murder-victim/434609

"The shooting occurred in late March and the video was posted to YouTube on April 6. The video was still up Thursday, but Erie police said they were trying to have it removed."

Being a law enforcer doesn't give anyone special privledges, I think a lot of cops forget that. Police powers need a check too otherwise you get a smaller scale version of tyrany. The things that some law enforcement officers do carelessly can have a far-reaching impact in people's lives.

I think it serves the purpose of showing the citizens of Denton that they are in fact keeping the peace and protecting the city.

Good on'em I say.

they arrest people for speeding? jesus christ

It said he had warrants with other agencies.

L2Read?

There is one on here for speeding 47 in a 35 mph zone. Didn't know you could arrest over under 15 over the limit.

I thought VA was bad.

Seems like a gross violation of privacy

Privacy schmivacy. Police blotters have always been in local (or regional) newspapers. If you commit a crime, it's going to be in the papers whether as a headline or a blotter. Twitter is no different. Stop acting like this whole informing the public of criminal actions is new.

As for the people complaining about speeders being arrested, you weren't there. Hundreds of people get pulled over for speeding everyday, but only 2,3, maybe 4 get arrested for it. Usually there's a story behind it.

I live in Denton. If I ever get pulled over, the first thing out of my mouth will be "Don't Twitter me Bro!"

I am fairly sure the speeding arrests you see are warrants for unpaid speeding tickets. By law in TX, you have to be 20+ over before it is a jailable offense.

I thought the term was "wreckless driving" and there wasn't a set limit. It's been 5 years now since I went through the Police Academy and applied anything I learned there (Not a cop now)

Speeding has to be 20+ over the limit to be considered "wreckless driving", which in turn is jail-able. But of course 'wreckless' can encompass any number of other things. Even still you won't necissarily get arrested. Unless you were doing it through a school zone, told the cop 'gfy pig', or were otherwise a plain idiot enough to piss off the cop.

I don't think the police blotter is the best place to look at chicks to pick up. Just my opinion, but I would stay away from police blotters, jails, or any type of drug rehab clincs just to name a few places when looking for a woman.

What about abortion clinics? You know they put out and don't want kids.

Back