Texas Man Dies after Vape Pen Explosion Severs Artery to Brain

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Adding to the potentially growing incidents of vape explosions, the Tarrant County Medical Examiner's office says a man died last month “after a vape pen exploded in his face and severed a major artery.” It isn’t known what brand or model of vape pen 24-year-old William Brown was using, but according to some experts, “there were 2,035 e-cigarette explosions and burn injuries in the United States between 2015 and 2017.” The most recent was in May, when a Florida man “died after his vape exploded and sent two pieces of shrapnel into his brain.”

[Brown's grandmother] said that the battery melted plastic in her car and sent debris flying into her grandson's face and neck. She said that her car was covered in blood, and that her grandson got out of the car to search for help before he was rushed to the hospital. She said he died two days after he was admitted. "When they x-rayed him, they found the stem, the metal embedded to where the blood flows up to the brain," Alice Brown said. "I miss him already, and knowing he won't open that door and come through it ever again is the hardest part."

well was it a vape "pen" with a 500ma battery in it or was it a 300 watt mod used for dripping ? They never say.. it seems of the accidents are from people doing insane things with powerful huge mods. Sad a pure dude died obviously but the news... ughh

While he's not the first to die from vaping, there are many more people who have been seriously injured.
In the short term, it appears vaping could be more dangerous than smoking.

well was it a vape "pen" with a 500ma battery in it or was it a 300 watt mod used for dripping ? They never say.. it seems of the accidents are from people doing insane things with powerful huge mods. Sad a pure dude died obviously but the news... ughh

Exactly what I was wondering, always lacking info (I didn't read the news but I assume... they never mention what mark or model it was and if it was modded to death [no pun intended])

Yeah these stories are sad but they must be due to a unregulated device or user error. If a mod does not have cucit protection the batteries can release the total stored power instantly causing an explosion. They might also be bad Samsung batteries.

Yeah these stories are sad but they must be due to a unregulated device or user error. If a mod does not have cucit protection the batteries can release the total stored power instantly causing an explosion. They might also be bad Samsung batteries.

Samsung make batteries ?

Samsung make some 18650 batteries that are popular with flashlight people, i personally use Sony VTC6 a few 5 for power banks and then LG HG2 batteries.

But i aint sucking no vapors or good old regular smoke, at least not unless i run into a burning house again to play hero, which i should know not to do as i am also a trained firefighter and smoke diver.

This is a problem with people who don't know any better, buying cheap batteries with no protection circuits, rather than a "vaping" problem. People have been injured when their flashlights, hoverboards, phones, etc. blow up or start on fire due to shitty lithium batteries.

From what I read it was a mech(unregulated) and based on the explosion it didn't have proper venting to handle a battery in thermal runaway.

Allegedly he went into a vape shop with a new device and asked for help setting it up right, due to FDA regs they said they couldn't help him and that they didn't recommend that specific model because it's unsafe. Apparently he though they were just trying to sell him something because he went out to the parking lot and proceeded to blow it up. That was what the vape shop owner claimed so obviously it should be taken with a grain of salt but it seems highly plausible.

The stupidest part about the whole thing is that he wanted to start vaping because he thought it would help with his asthma. While there is minor evidence that inhaled PG can help some the rest is just as likely to do the opposite and a nebulizer would be the proper method for that anyway.

That is what you get with unregulated mods like straight battery to coil. There two kind of vape shops. Their is the shop that sells you a mod and says ya you just put a battery in click the button and your vaping, these shops are like a radio shack sales rep does not understand the tech or how to use it correctly but will sell it too you just to make a buck. The other kind of shop is one that understands the tech sells only regulated mods and voltage and battery protections, understands the wattage and voltage concepts and works to get you off smoking in the correct way.

I have been using regulated mods since I started 7 years ago never had one failure period.

works to get you off smoking in the correct way.
I started 7 years ago

:)

A bit ironic for sure but it's still healthier than smoking even if it's not healthy.

Personally I quit smoking 4.5 years ago with the help of vaping and for the most part quit vaping 2 years ago. I have vaped some on vacations when I was drinking and forced to be around smokers but not much and didn't feel the urge to continue when I got home.

It's always those huge ass mods catching fire and blowing up. I've been vaping for four years now and never saw the point in those things.

While he's not the first to die from vaping, there are many more people who have been seriously injured.
In the short term, it appears vaping could be more dangerous than smoking.

i gotta be honest, im thinking there are more people who die in a fire caused by falling asleep with a smoke in their fingers.
i cant find the numbers on it though

Without providing any info as to what franken-device this guy was using they're just acting like all vaping is dangerous.

Want to talk about dangerous?

Almost all men shave with fast charge batteries right next to their NECK! Every single morning!!! OH THE HORROR!

Very possible that random reporter #3 who caught the assignment to do this story doesn't know enough about vaping to even know they should ask the question. Their task was to do a 60 second TV spot on a guy dying while vaping and that is what they did.

I wonder how many Hard readers learned that vaping devices came in Pen or Dripping models by reading this thread? I don't vape and have learned far more about it by reading many of the [H] responses to several threads here then I have learned via other media sources.

I only vape w/pens made by the Takata Corporation.

I was hoping to Goggle a meme with this corp's name like OCP, I'm sorely disappointed.....
ffee6fd7-0cdf-42b0-89db-1a72193203aa_screenshot.jpg

Play with unregulated batteries, get unregulated results. Of course ' journalists' these days never look at that aspect.

there are no real Journalists today hence, they never look at that aspect

Always the same, emotive suggestive narrative crafting and they wonder why no-one wants to pay for their crap.
Journalists.... or as The Quartering calls them Urinalists. :0

too many chinese varients out there.. too many people modding them.. which of course will result in failures and explosions because the lipo batts are not one to underestimate.

my solution to this is create a tube that connects to your vape and keep the vape at a distance with tube in your mouth instead...

too many chinese varients out there.. too many people modding them.. which of course will result in failures and explosions because the lipo batts are not one to underestimate.

my solution to this is create a tube that connects to your vape and keep the vape at a distance with tube in your mouth instead...

Like people using SS straws with their YETI mugs.

How much more lame could you look? ROFL

Wouldn't have helped in this case (unless it was in his trunk). The thing was in the glovebox when it detonated.

Back