Tethering Iphone to Ipad and/or Macbook

vincentharris

Weaksauce
I have been trying to locate answers to this forever but can never find any reliable sources. I need to tether my T-mobile internet connection from my iPhone (non jailbroken phone) and want to tether via bluetooth to my Ipad and either bluetooth or direct usb connection to my macbook. Does anyone have the right settings to get this to work?

USB to your macbook should work out of the box, but you can't bt tether unless you're jailbroken.

You can use MyWi's On-Demand on both your iPad and iPhone to tether or you can use tetherme (iPhone) + iTether (iPad). Those are the two competing packages from two separate devs. They'll both allow you to BT and USB tether whereas MyWi adds the ability to create a Wi-Fi hotspot.

The iPad isn't built to pick up an Internet connection shared over Bluetooth, so it'd need to be jailbroken (if there is indeed something out there that will enable the iPad to be tethered via Bluetooth), or it needs to be done via wifi hotspot. If T-mobile will allow that feature (you'd need to ask I think, they probably won't advertise it) then that feature is coming in iOS 4.3. Otherwise, need to jailbreak the iPhone and use MyWi. It's a $20 app but it enables the USB tethering as well as optionally creates a hotspot from the phone. You could enable USB tethering all the time so that you can connect any time to your MacBook, and then turn on the wifi hotspot whenever you needed it for your iPad. The hotspot feature takes up a considerable amount of juice, so probably shouldn't be left on all the time.

Thanks everyone, got my macbook to FINALLY tether via bluetooth. I have tried everything and this is the first time I could get it to work. I can live without my iPad not connecting to tethering, since I have an unlocked iPhone that is not jailbroken I do not want to jailbreak it now in order to get MiWi. Though I know folks who have jailbroken phones, is MiWi really worth it?

Was your phone unlocked due to buying it that way or was it unlocked via software aka Jailbreaking 1st then using ultrasn0w or whatever its called atm?

I don't know why you're afraid to jailbreak the phone. You gain better tethering options via different apps that way as mentioned above.

Thanks everyone, got my macbook to FINALLY tether via bluetooth. I have tried everything and this is the first time I could get it to work. I can live without my iPad not connecting to tethering, since I have an unlocked iPhone that is not jailbroken I do not want to jailbreak it now in order to get MiWi. Though I know folks who have jailbroken phones, is MiWi really worth it?
MyWi is said to be the sole reason many people jailbreak their phones. Whether it's worth it to you is a personal decision.

You can't be unlocked without being jailbroken unless you have a non-US factory unlocked version. You'll find MyWi in Cydia, which you should have if you're using an unlocked US iPhone.

TetherMe for $1.99 works for USB or Bluetooth tethering. Works great right out of gate. I have it for my iPhone 3G.

Back