Testing out open box motherboard - what to check?

ss88

Weaksauce
Newb builder here. I picked up an open box MSI Z690-A Pro board from MicroCenter. Did a quick bench build and board does POST, I can enter BIOS and it will boot a Windows install USB. I've got a 2 week return window to find any dealbreaker flaws.

What's the best way to proceed? I'm thinking install board in a case, install Windows, update BIOS, install graphics card, see if all the I/O ports work, see if any hardware shows an error in Windows Device Manager. Test all the M2 and SATA ports, test all the RAM slots. Anything else I should check or a different sequence I should use?

Newb builder here. I picked up an open box MSI Z690-A Pro board from MicroCenter. Did a quick bench build and board does POST, I can enter BIOS and it will boot a Windows install USB. I've got a 2 week return window to find any dealbreaker flaws.

What's the best way to proceed? I'm thinking install board in a case, install Windows, update BIOS, install graphics card, see if all the I/O ports work, see if any hardware shows an error in Windows Device Manager. Test all the M2 and SATA ports, test all the RAM slots. Anything else I should check or a different sequence I should use?
Inspect board for bent pins and any defects or scratches - use a magnifying glass, if necessary? My reading leads me to believe if there is anything physically wrong - that is a deal breaker - it would be bent pins. I don't know if that prevents a board posting?

Other than that - yes, RAM testing, trying the cpu benchmarks out - Cinebench? - make sure all the M.2 and SATA ports work like you said - check usb ports - make sure any device you connect to it works properly.

I don't think sequence matters too much - as long as you don't skip/omit a check?

Reactions: ss88
like this
I had problems with hangs on heavy SATA I/O. Connect as much storage as you can and benchmark all at the same time.

That particular motherboard has the I225-V Intel adapter. Look in your event viewer for something like this:
1650477762514.png

It might take some heavy ethernet use to get it to start showing up. If you notice any weirdness in your internet access, I would probably get rid of it, because it will only get worse. Unless you feel like buying a separate network adapter. To stress it heavily enough, you could try running a server that hosts for multiple people for a while or something, maybe someone else has some ideas.

Other than that, just try all of the I/O slots and make sure they all work individually. If they do, it's hard to do much else besides running Prime 95 and memtesting it or something, because frankly it's like throwing darts at a haystack and hoping one of them hits a needle sometimes. And the needle might be a firmware issue.

Check all ports and pins. Pins can be bent straight generally. Including the I/O. I've seen sata ports knocked out, etcetera. More common are fan header pins, front panel, etc.

Or USB type A ports where either someone was determined to fit a drive in wrong, or a kid picked at it.

Check thermals before and after benching, the heat sinks may have been taken off or moved if using springs, causing poor thermals.

Lga pins are good to check too but if it posts and works you could skip, just try the memory in all 4 slots.

Back