Testing HD picture quality?

CoW]8(0)

[H]ard|Gawd
I need to test the picture quality of a LCD HDTV with a computer that has a DVI output which isn't fast enough to decode HD video. Would opening a picture file greater than 1080 pixels in height be equivalent to one frame of HD video?

Is it common to have an issue where I see a double image effect displayed on screen? This doesn't happen at all resolutions, only specific ones on the LCD HDTV.

Is there a way to correct this problem?

If you're getting a strange image with some resolutions then the scaler in your screen probably can't handle the input. You should only be using whatever resolution your screen takes natively (1920x1080, 1366x768, 1280x720, etc.) and make sure that you are sending the proper type of signal (progressive or interlaced).

Well an issue I'm having is that all my fonts appear fuzzy. Video quality seems fine.

I took a further look into it.
So my conclusion is:
A television that supports 1080p or 1080i resolution does not necessarily mean that 1920x1080 is its native resolution?

It's not uncommon for LCD screens to use a native resolution which is slightly 'off' of the convential 1080/720 resolutions. A quick search at AVSForum can probably tell you what the real native resolution is.

CoW]8(0);1031228874 said:
Well an issue I'm having is that all my fonts appear fuzzy. Video quality seems fine.

I took a further look into it.
So my conclusion is:
A television that supports 1080p or 1080i resolution does not necessarily mean that 1920x1080 is its native resolution?

That is correct. What size is your screen? What is the make/model?

Newer nvidia drivers give you the option to specify a custom res. I can't speak for ATI drivers, but I would imagine they have this function as well. If not, you might want to look into Powerstrip.

Yea.. 720p/1080i HDTV's are hard to get good results out of for day to day computer use. Since they have the native res of 1366x768, computers don't like that resolution because of the divisible by 8 factor. You can always try 1080i (1920x1080 @ 30hz) and it might yield a little better results, but most likely it will still be blurry. The only way to go with PC use is 1080p IMO. You can get the perfect 1920x1080 @ 60hz sharp image without a hassle.

Newer nvidia drivers give you the option to specify a custom res. I can't speak for ATI drivers, but I would imagine they have this function as well. If not, you might want to look into Powerstrip.
I've played around with Powerstrip but cannot find the ability to use a custom resolution.

Also, make sure that the default setting on your TV isn't "Stretch" or something to that effect. The default on my Aquos was to overscan by about 5% so it made everything a bit blurry. You should make sure that you're set to "Dot-to-Dot" if your TV has such a mode.

Back