Tested: Oculus Rift vs HTC Vive Pre

I'm thinking of buying the Oculus. Just want to know if it will work with my games in my Steam library and other VR games in Steam.

He says the Vive and Rift have the exact same panel but the Vive has a taller FOV. How is that possible?

He says the Vive and Rift have the exact same panel but the Vive has a taller FOV. How is that possible?

The Rift uses two custom panels. If he said they both use the same panels in that video then he is mistaken. I'm actually watching a Tested video from yesterday and they are talking about the two custom screens in the Rift and I've heard the same from multiple sources.

The Rift uses two custom panels. If he said they both use the same panels in that video then he is mistaken. I'm actually watching a Tested video from yesterday and they are talking about the two custom screens in the Rift and I've heard the same from multiple sources.

You know, unless Oculus has some exclusivity on that panel, I assume the panel manufacturer would be happy to sell the same panels to HTC, lowering the price for both companies due to larger manufacturing volume, usually giving priority to its first customer (Oculus). And so far, Oculus hasn't shown much inclination to block competitors so it's quite possible that both companies will use the same panel in the end. And the Vive on display may not be the final CV. I don't think tiny 1280x1200 / 2560x1200 panels are common, they're not the typical 16:9 panel you'd find already on the market for cell phones (unless the spec is derived from the area of pixels within the projection plane of the lens, in which they could just be a slightly higher res screen with some pixels outside the usable area for the given optics).

I wonder if Oculus is buying half panels when full panels don't pass QA, the manufacturer can salvage the remaining half, much the way Intel does speed binning. A kind of win-win for everyone.

It's also an advantage if most 1st gen devices have the same general resolution. For things like UI, it means developers don't have to try supporting one device with significantly different DPI than the next, so things like sizing text and UI elements in 3D have one less factor to account for during cross platform development.

Last edited:

Whether the reviewer was correct or not, it's possible because the lens doesn't require square pixels, the GPU does a warp on the resulting image so if Oculus wants a horizontally wider FOV, they simply have to create a non-spherical lens. That costs more though, but they've been doing that kind of computer lens modeling for years (think wavefront glasses to correct for higher order vision problems).

"but in VR, the Oculus experience feels a bit more like looking through a window."

That, is a deal breaker for me.

WTF.

The company I work for is looking at both sets. I pre ordered the Rift and will likely pre order Vive too.

"but in VR, the Oculus experience feels a bit more like looking through a window."

WTF.

A lot of people comment on this after spending a little bit of time playing with the various VR headsets. This is the current state of VR and it affects EVERY headset from the various cardboard units to the Samsung Gear to the HTC Vive. In the comparison done in the article, the Vive "window" is simply taller but also still very much visible.

To me, it's another non-issue. I do notice it initially, but it quickly fades away as I get immersed in the VR.

WTF.

People who wear glasses have to deal with this effect every day. So, I'm pretty sure its not a deal breaker for most.

People who wear glasses have to deal with this effect every day. So, I'm pretty sure its not a deal breaker for most.

I wear glasses, and I don't have that feeling at all. Only those cheap glasses do..

It's not quite the same with glasses, tho. While people who wear glasses may see the edges of their frames, there's still "content" beyond the edges, it's just not sharply focused. With the VR headsets, everything beyond the edges is black.

It's one of those things that most people will be able to mentally tune out, but some will probably take issue with it.

Going by the writer's first impressions, the Vive needed some extra development time. Hopefully Valve and HTC make the improvements to create something great.

Sounds more like your interpretation of what the writer concluded. The main gripe he seemed to have was that the Vive felt heavier on his head, but for all we know he's a pencil neck and that's why it felt like it would be too heavy for an extended gameplay session. That, and that the Rift motion controls will totes be better than the Vive's, even though he admits he hasn't used them.

Whatever, people will individually have to draw conclusions on weight and feel. Rift's motion controls are also up in the air since they can't seem to figure out when they'll release them. The Vive having motion so early seemed to have taken them by surprise and they've been scrambling to come up with something of their own ever since.

The fact the Vive has a taller FOV is the main thing for me. Viva la competition, in any case.

Last edited:
The main issue I have with the Occulus is the lack of motion controllers at launch. I would REALLY like to develop with those controllers, except they are only available to big $$ devs for early access, if at all.

At least the Vive has the motion controllers available for testing.

After years of waiting, and seeing the prices and the problems, I think Ill sit it out for a few more years and wait for prices to drop and the product to be better.

Having access to a comparison like this isn't necessarily bad, but I do think the writer didn't do enough to distinguish that the Rift has finalized hardware design/specs, whereas the Vive is still in the development stage The author's feeling about the heaviness and design of the Vive for instance, may not be valid by the time the consumer variant arrives in users' hands; there may even be a stark difference. Of course the Rift seems more "polished and iterated", when the Vive has at least one more iteration to go, if I am informed correctly.

I look forward to a more accurate comparison when the full package of consumer ready hardware is set on both sides.

After years of waiting, and seeing the prices and the problems, I think Ill sit it out for a few more years and wait for prices to drop and the product to be better.

I view them more as limitations than actual problems; the tech just isn't here yet to bring out the full potential of VR. However, even with the current limited tech, VR is a pretty awesome experience. I'll pay the premium for bleeding edge rather than potentially miss out on a few years of entertainment while waiting for it to be perfected.

WTF.

Eh, it's a critique that can't be taken alone out of context and is hard to fully understand if you've never been inside one of these VR devices. I honestly don't know what the FOV is on the CV1 compared to the DK2 but, when I first put on the DK2, sure I can look all the way to any side and see the edges but once the experience starts, you completely forget that it's there and it might as well not even be an issue.

You know, unless Oculus has some exclusivity on that panel, I assume the panel manufacturer would be happy to sell the same panels to HTC, lowering the price for both companies due to larger manufacturing volume, usually giving priority to its first customer (Oculus). And so far, Oculus hasn't shown much inclination to block competitors so it's quite possible that both companies will use the same panel in the end. And the Vive on display may not be the final CV. I don't think tiny 1280x1200 / 2560x1200 panels are common, they're not the typical 16:9 panel you'd find already on the market for cell phones (unless the spec is derived from the area of pixels within the projection plane of the lens, in which they could just be a slightly higher res screen with some pixels outside the usable area for the given optics).

I wonder if Oculus is buying half panels when full panels don't pass QA, the manufacturer can salvage the remaining half, much the way Intel does speed binning. A kind of win-win for everyone.

It's also an advantage if most 1st gen devices have the same general resolution. For things like UI, it means developers don't have to try supporting one device with significantly different DPI than the next, so things like sizing text and UI elements in 3D have one less factor to account for during cross platform development.

The Rift uses custom made panels from Samsung that Oculus is most likely getting at some sort of discount for partnering with them on the Samsung Gear VR. Palmer Luckey has already stated the bulk of the cost of the Rift is tied to the custom display panels being used. I wouldn't be surprised if the Vive ends up being more expensive simply because it doesn't get the same discount on the display. That is, if both headsets use the same display...and Oculus really IS getting a discount.

I'm thinking of buying the Oculus. Just want to know if it will work with my games in my Steam library and other VR games in Steam.

Yes.

The Rift will have it's own ecosystem but the HMD is not locked into that ecosystem. You can use the Rift on anything, it just won't be guaranteed to have the same polish or experience as you get with anything in the Oculus ecosystem. For example, everything in the Oculus ecosystem is required to be built with the Rift SDK. The Rift though, MAY work with games that have been built using the OpenVR SDK...they just wont be available directly from within the Oculus ecosystem.

the dial is what is call a diopter in telephoto lenses, scopes, and binoculars. When I talked to nikon would was looking at the tech about the time rift was on it's first or second preview at siggraph 2013, they had a diopter but it went the other direction. If you wear glasses the diopters can replace having to wear your glasses with the set. The catch the more the set it up the hard they are to dial it to the right refraction index. kinda like when you sit in the chair and have to guess which lense is clearer.

I wont be buying a Rift based on moral reasons, no matter how much better it is than the Vive. I mean, talk about the final irony, Facebook buying out. No honor amongst these thieves.

If my S7 didn't come with the Gear VR, i would have opted for the Cardboard.

I wont be buying a Rift based on moral reasons, no matter how much better it is than the Vive. I mean, talk about the final irony, Facebook buying out. No honor amongst these thieves.

If my S7 didn't come with the Gear VR, i would have opted for the Cardboard.

???

Not sure I understand how being bought by a corporation is considered immoral for a technology company. Last I checked your entire rig is comprised of big-name-brands and big corporations.

KazeoHin - Oculus is being sued by both Zenimax and Total Recall for basically stealing ideas. Facebook bought Oculus, and we know that story.

I do realize there is a lot of this with other companies, i.e Intel and their old Mafia tactics, but in my eyes these 2 guys Luckey and Zuckerberg ain't getting a dime from me.

Edit - forgot quote again.

Oculus is being sued by both Zenimax and Total Recall for basically stealing ideas. Facebook bought Oculus, and we know that story.

I do realize there is a lot of this with other companies, i.e Intel and their old Mafia tactics, but in my eyes these 2 guys Luckey and Zuckerberg ain't getting a dime from me.

Hey to each, their own!

Just remember, that if your standard is set at 'not being sued for copyright infringement' then you should really throw out your PC and live in a cave.

sue-infographic.jpg

That's just smartphones. And its from a few years back. It's only escalated from there.

Hey to each, their own!

Just remember, that if your standard is set at 'not being sued for copyright infringement' then you should really throw out your PC and live in a cave.

sue-infographic.jpg

That's just smartphones. And its from a few years back. It's only escalated from there.

Hehehe yeah, but these 2 guys are straight up sleeze bags. I'm a hypocrite because I laugh whenever Apple has its ideas made better by the like of someone else (*cough cough Samsung cough*). These 2 take the cake for me, but then I probably wouldn't have had as low an opinion on Luckey if he hadn't sold to FB.

Back