Test-Um NT950 or Fluke CableIQ

Grentz

Fully [H]
I am looking for a cheaper cable verification tool (i know the certification ones are multiple thousands, so I cannot do that).

Have pretty much narrowed it down to the Test-Um NT950/955 or the Fluke Cable IQ.

Anyone have any thoughts on either? The Test-Um unit is a bit more expensive, has a color screen, and seems to have a bit more job management between the PC and unit which I really do not need. More concerned on other features/performance.

The CableIQ seems like it could be a bit more accurate, but I dont know for sure.

Mostly want to validate cables for speeds (network mainly), and be able to diagnose issues like miswiring and splices/faults, etc.

Have you ruled out the Fluke Link Runner/Link Runner Pro? I've found them to be great testers. If you are stuck to the two you listed, I would go with the Fluke. Flukes are excellent tools, sometimes a little more expensive but they've earned their spot. ;) FWIW, I've been doing this stuff for a while and I've never heard of Test-Um???

The link runners are too simplistic (or actually too specific) for what I am working on I think, although I will consider them. It will also be used for phone and other wiring (specifically a special commercial IP based media system that has some other support wiring), so I need the ability to test other wires besides just network.

Test-Um was recommended to me by some of the home theater guys I was talking with, I had never heard of them either but their product looks to be pretty solid.

Back