Test results for cleaning the power before the PSU?

daglesj

Supreme [H]ardness
I was wondering the the other day while looking at the test results for several PSUs with regards to noise/ripple on the power if running the mains supply through some form of mains filter before the PCs PSU would make any difference?

For the past 6-7 years I've been running my main rig off of one of these -

http://uk.farnell.com/roxburgh/pmf6/filter-in-line-6a/dp/1101097

I inherited a few of them when we retired a load of video conference units and I've adapted them to other uses.

So I'm just wondering if the test results for PSUs would differ if the mains went through a mains filter before the PSU. Would it improve matters? I guess a decent UPS would do the same. Clean smooth power means a happy PC!

Certainly hasn't appeared to have a detrimental effect on my setup. I realise that there is a similar level of filtering in most PSUs but would 'doubling up' help?

This doesn't appear to be one of those situations given the OP clearly states he has not seen any detrimental effects.

This doesn't appear to be one of those situations given the OP clearly states he has not seen any detrimental effects.
He said he hasn't seen any detrimental effects from using line conditioners, not from running without them. Although I suspect the effect of those particular devices is not especially large.

What I was getting at is how line conditioners/UPS etc. would affect the test results of PC PSUs.

In that a PSU that has some ripple/noise straight from the mains would it test better with a conditioner?

It may, but then you're not really testing how good the PSU is on it's own merit.

It may, but then you're not really testing how good the PSU is on it's own merit.

(Face palms)

I'm just interested to know if line conditioners/mains filters/UPS (whatever) do make an appreciable difference to mains quality and in doing so can they further improve the performance of PSUs. In other words test power quality of PSU direct to mains and then test again with a conditioner in place and compare results.

So does it make a further improvement to a PSU that provides good clean power and can it improve the performance of a PSU that isn't quite as good?

Basically I'm intrigued and don't have the experience/kit to hand to test it.

Of course you are. Allowing fluctuations in the input waveform will skew the results. Unless those fluctuations are consistent and repeatable (which they will never be), you will never have an even basis for comparison between different units.

I disagree. Considering very few consumers actually put line conditioners before their PSU's, it would essentially make any PSU test close to worthless. You could have a PSU with crappy filtering perform nearly as well as one with much better filtering due to the conditioner placed before it. Joe consumer buys the chepaer one becuase it tested well not knowing that the power he's going to get out of it may be far dirtier.

I disagree. Considering very few consumers actually put line conditioners before their PSU's, it would essentially make any PSU test close to worthless. You could have a PSU with crappy filtering perform nearly as well as one with much better filtering due to the conditioner placed before it. Joe consumer buys the chepaer one becuase it tested well not knowing that the power he's going to get out of it may be far dirtier.

Sorry chap but you have totally misunderstood what I'm asking. I'm not asking for all PSU tests to have a mains conditioner in them. Totally pointless. I'm just curious to know if line conditioners/mains filters etc. actually work and can improve the power quality coming out of a PSU.

You know just a one off test with a couple of commonly bought mains filters and two or three PSUs (one high quality, one mid and one crappy $20 one) just to see what comes out the end of the 24pin and 8 pin plugs with and without the filters.

Doesnt matter though.

Sorry chap but you have totally misunderstood what I'm asking. I'm not asking for all PSU tests to have a mains conditioner in them. Totally pointless. I'm just curious to know if line conditioners/mains filters etc. actually work and can improve the power quality coming out of a PSU.

You know just a one off test with a couple of commonly bought mains filters and two or three PSUs (one high quality, one mid and one crappy $20 one) just to see what comes out the end of the 24pin and 8 pin plugs with and without the filters.

Doesnt matter though.

I understand what you're asking, which I believe was answered in the first reply that said a line conditioner could reduce ripple which I do agree with but don't see much of a point for your average or above average consumer.

My reply you quoted was in response to Zero.

I don't think it will matter much, You will be reducing noise and cleaning up the sine wave, two things that computers don't particularly care much about. Audio/Video equipment on the other hand... does, so that's why you got these from where you did.

AC doesn't really have a measurement like ripple, because it constantly IS rippling on purpose, at 60hz here in the US.

Not I'm not pushing the PMF6. A UK hifi firm used to sell them re-badged as the Chord Clearway for around £250!!! I then mentioned that on a few sites and they stopped selling them.

I hate that hi-fi voodo bullshit on basic products.

Here is one I modified.

SANY0336.jpg

Last edited:
Don't quote me on this since power systems isn't my concentration, but having a cleaner AC input would only help in making the DC regulation behave more linearly. But this is a different from the PSU's job to keep constant power no matter the current draw/spikes from the components, which is the performance you are more concerned with. If your AC is not abnormal, then the DC regulation would work as designed, and having the AC be cleaner wouldn't really help.

Back