Test for HIV in Just 15 Minutes with This $34 Smartphone Dongle

whores around the world will be saved. thank god for smart ppl ;-)

Might be useful for some. I have to wonder how accurate it is. If it gives a lot of false positives....the emotional damage could be immense (suicides, rampages, etc.)

Might be useful for some. I have to wonder how accurate it is. If it gives a lot of false positives....the emotional damage could be immense (suicides, rampages, etc.)

... I highly doubt that.

I can tell if someone has an STD just by looking at them.

Would anyone in their right mind let someone poke you with a needle to test for STDs, not knowing how many potentially other AIDS riddled aholes were done right before you? Its like sharing needles with crack addicts, minus the fun crack.

The big issue I see for the test is that the results take 15 minutes to generate. By that time my dick would be limp. I can't see myself staring at a cellphone for 15 minutes to see if I can bareback some chick. I know I wouldn't be in the mood unless we were already fooling around which would mean the test is irrelevant.

How do you plan activities for 15 minutes of downtime before having sex? How do you break the ice in a relationship by asking when did they last test for STD's by cellphone?

Did the guy demonstrating really have HIV?
I guess he wanted to make this in spite of being cursed by today's plague and save as many people as he could...
I see what you did there... Feels.

I went and had an HIV Test (The school I work at was promoting HIV Awareness Day and I took part by having a test in front of my students) and it was done within 2 minutes. They pricked my finger, took a swab of blood and had my results back as soon as they put the blood in the solution. Really cool!!! 10 years about you had to get the mouth swab and had to wait for the results in 20 mins.

Know your status people. :)

I went and had an HIV Test (The school I work at was promoting HIV Awareness Day and I took part by having a test in front of my students) and it was done within 2 minutes. They pricked my finger, took a swab of blood and had my results back as soon as they put the blood in the solution. Really cool!!! 10 years about you had to get the mouth swab and had to wait for the results in 20 mins.

Know your status people. :)
A lot of tourists are doing that in Thailand now too. Instead of bar-hopping, they pick out one or two "girlfriend experience" tour guides of sorts, and hop in a cab for a quick 10 min STD test. You all get it, saying you know to put HER mind at ease (ya right), and in no time voila you're both being responsible and feel safer, since condoms are never 100%. And most other STDs these days are actually pretty easy to treat, so at least you know that worst comes to worse, you aren't going to get AIDS.

whores around the world will be saved. thank god for smart ppl ;-)

Yeah sure... whore pulls out needle used to draw blood, puts away, tests client, gets on to business... finds another client, pulls out same needle used to draw blood, puts away, tests client....

The big issue I see for the test is that the results take 15 minutes to generate. By that time my dick would be limp. I can't see myself staring at a cellphone for 15 minutes to see if I can bareback some chick.
Why would you bareback anyway? That's retarded... that's just asking to end up being a daddy and enjoying some herpes for life. Besides, 15 mins really isn't that long, and I think this is meant more for fast-response clinics where you can wait. So you go on a "date", get your test while BSing and what not, then in no time you have your result and can go get some drinks, dance, and screw.

A lot of tourists are doing that in Thailand now too. Instead of bar-hopping, they pick out one or two "girlfriend experience" tour guides of sorts, and hop in a cab for a quick 10 min STD test. You all get it, saying you know to put HER mind at ease (ya right), and in no time voila you're both being responsible and feel safer, since condoms are never 100%. And most other STDs these days are actually pretty easy to treat, so at least you know that worst comes to worse, you aren't going to get AIDS.

Except untreatable skin contact diseases like HPV & Herpes...

2 or 3 people in this thread have implied that condoms protect from HPV and herpes so just to clarify condoms do *not* protect against HPV and herpes.

condoms do provide significant protection against contracting HIV and it's statistically improbable for a male to contract HIV from an infected female.

As a physician in training gearing towards infectious disease, I can see many useful applications for this device. Of course granted its sensitivity and specificity are good. Good news everyone!

Sounds like Russian Roulette - which will appeal to the bug chasers

Would anyone in their right mind let someone poke you with a needle to test for STDs, not knowing how many potentially other AIDS riddled aholes were done right before you? Its like sharing needles with crack addicts, minus the fun crack.

That needle is single use disposable. Was that sarcasm or what? LOL!

ok I support this.

No HIV? let's fuck.

This, btw, is actually the worst way to do it.

Every test, short of a Western Blot (a very expensive test that takes weeks to come back) only tests for one thing: Antibodies.

Your body does not create antibodies for HIV until it has seroconverted, meaning, started fighting off the infection.

People who become infected with HIV don't produce antibodies from anywhere from 6 months on average to about 2 years at most.

That entire time when they are not producing antibodies, it's two things: One: They will test negative on any test that tests for antibodies (virtually all of them including all the rapid tests), and Two: They have the highest viral load of all people short of those who are dying from full blown AIDS.

So yes, this means you are most likely to get HIV from someone who still tests negative.

I don't have a bio-med background but just from casually reading literature ( for fun ), your "6 month" seems way high:

"Seroconversion is the interval, several weeks after HIV infection, during which antibodies are first produced and rise to detectable levels. Antibodies generally begin to appear within one to two weeks of exposure, and antibody concentrations (titres) continue to increase for several months thereafter. Seroconversion takes place within three weeks in most infected individuals, although very rare cases are reported in which seroconversion does not occur for up to a year.1"

http://www.aidsmap.com/Seroconversion/page/1322973/

"HIV: The window period for HIV may be up to three months, depending on the test method and other factors.[1][2]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_period

"The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) advises that 97 percent of people develop detectable antibodies within the first three months after exposure."

http://www.healthline.com/health/hiv-aids/seroconversion-time#HIVTransmission4

This, btw, is actually the worst way to do it.

Every test, short of a Western Blot (a very expensive test that takes weeks to come back) only tests for one thing: Antibodies.

Your body does not create antibodies for HIV until it has seroconverted, meaning, started fighting off the infection.

People who become infected with HIV don't produce antibodies from anywhere from 6 months on average to about 2 years at most.

That entire time when they are not producing antibodies, it's two things: One: They will test negative on any test that tests for antibodies (virtually all of them including all the rapid tests), and Two: They have the highest viral load of all people short of those who are dying from full blown AIDS.

So yes, this means you are most likely to get HIV from someone who still tests negative.

I don't have a bio-med background but just from casually reading literature ( for fun ), your "6 month" seems way high:

"Seroconversion is the interval, several weeks after HIV infection, during which antibodies are first produced and rise to detectable levels. Antibodies generally begin to appear within one to two weeks of exposure, and antibody concentrations (titres) continue to increase for several months thereafter. Seroconversion takes place within three weeks in most infected individuals, although very rare cases are reported in which seroconversion does not occur for up to a year.1"

"HIV: The window period for HIV may be up to three months, depending on the test method and other factors.[1][2]"

"The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) advises that 97 percent of people develop detectable antibodies within the first three months after exposure."

And BAM! Internet justice :p

That needle is single use disposable. Was that sarcasm or what? LOL!

I know. If you're smart enough to get tested, I'd hope you're smart enough to watch the sterilized, packaged needle get opened in front of you, or walk away.

None of your links contradict what I said.

Up to Three Months, up to a year. What's the average? 9 months.

Having antibodies and having DETECTABLE antibodies are two different things. Lab results will be much more sensitive than over the counter results. This is why they come with literature saying you should retest in 3 to 6 months to ensure that you are still negative after the first test.

Guidelines are one thing. Reality is another.

None of your links contradict what I said.

Up to Three Months, up to a year. What's the average? 9 months.

Having antibodies and having DETECTABLE antibodies are two different things. Lab results will be much more sensitive than over the counter results. This is why they come with literature saying you should retest in 3 to 6 months to ensure that you are still negative after the first test.

Guidelines are one thing. Reality is another.

Your quote in post # 26:

"People who become infected with HIV don't produce antibodies from anywhere from 6 months on average to about 2 years at most."

My quote in post # 27:

Stop exaggerating on statistics is my advice... and learn to read. And when someone corrects your "out of whack" numbers, say, "my bad".

You said 6 months on average, CDC says 3 months on average for 97% of people. Huge difference.

I failed advanced math but you need to learn 2 numbers.

It's quite obvious why the retest is needed - it's for the 3% obviously...

Back