Test Drive Unlimited: Solar Crown

Armenius

Extremely [H]
In an interview with VentureBeat, Nacon Head of Publishing Benoit Clerc let slip that KT Racing (Isle of Man TT, WRC 8) is working on a new Test Drive Unlimited.

https://venturebeat.com/2020/03/01/nacons-beniot-clerc-becoming-a-double-a-gaming-force/

GamesBeat: The acquisitions you made in 2018 and 2019, was that the ramp leading to this?

Clerc: We bought five companies. But they represent eight studios. One of the companies, RaceWard in Italy, we have a stake in the company that we could raise in the months and years to come to have a majority. All of the studios have an identity and some specificities when it comes to the games that they’re able and willing to develop. Those are eight teams with some passion and some expertise in some fields.

I’ll give you the company names and studios they have. The first company is KT Racing, Kylotonn. They’re based in Paris and Lyon. They’re specialized in racing. They’re doing off-road racing with WRC (World Championship Rally), and they’re doing two-wheel racing with Isle of Man TT. They’re currently working on our biggest project by far, which is the next Test Drive Unlimited game.

Unfortunately no more details are given at this time. WCCF Tech made a whole article on it based on a Reddit post made years ago with no substantiated claims., which I will not repost here so as to not give them attention. Note that the original developer of TDU, Eden Games, is still around but restructured as a much smaller studio. Their latest game is Gear Club on Nintendo Switch which is actually pretty decent for a "handheld" driving game.

TBH none of the names involved means anything to me. Never even heard about these companies / people.

TBH none of the names involved means anything to me. Never even heard about these companies / people.
You should check out the newer WRC games. Most rally games resolve to creating fictional tapes instead of trying to recreate the real-world stages. WRC does the latter. Admittedly the physics were not great in the older titles but they are pretty good in WRC 8. Isle of Man TT has been lauded for the accuracy of its driving dynamics, but it had a low-key controversial release due to being $70 instead of $60 on consoles.

Reactions: M76
like this
Test drive was the first racing game I truly loved. The one with the charger on the cover.

Test drive was the first racing game I truly loved. The one with the charger on the cover.
This one? I don't think I've ever played it.
1583344775390.png

I started with the very first game.
1583344888710.png

Hmm, I didn't know about those two games above may have to check them out myself.

Loved the first TDU, one of the first real open world racing games. I don't know why TDU2 flopped so hard, but I hope 3 doesn't try to be a Forza Horizon clone.

Kylotton is pretty hit or miss.. I like WRC 8 but I kinda cringe about the thought of them making a TDU 3.

I remember playing TDU in 2010. Just riding a motorcycle at max RPM across Hawaii in one of those long distance race, with my own music in the background. Never had such simplistic fun.

Kylotton is pretty hit or miss.. I like WRC 8 but I kinda cringe about the thought of them making a TDU 3.
It seems like they're getting their shit together based on their recent releases, but we'll see. As viivo said, so long as they don't turn it into a Forza Horizon clone. Keep the enormous, life size map and licensed cars while not trying to complicate the lifestyle options with microtransactions and shit and it should be fine.

I think it would be cool to jump off of TDU2 and include the other Spanish islands in the game: Ibiza, Majorca, and Menorca. Since they have the Isle of Man license it would be neat to include the whole island in the game in some way, too. Majorca is twice as big as Oahu in land area, though, so modeling that island would be a huge undertaking in itself.

Nacon/BigBen is having a publisher sale this week on Steam. You can grab KT Racing's catalog for up to 80% off, if anyone is interested in seeing what they're about. I have not tried TT Isle of Man, WRC 7 is quite good as mentioned earlier in the thread.

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/bigbensale2020

TT Isle of Man is also free on Games with Gold right now if you have a Xbox.

My mistake. That was last month.

you mentioned WRC 8 before, so 8 or 7 which is better?
7 is the latest one on PC. 8 comes out later this year. I apologize for not clarifying.

Let me clarify further: WRC 8 was a 1-year exclusive on Epic Games Store.

I still have fond memories of the double box set of Test Drive Off-Road and Test Drive 5 I got at OfficeMax back in the 90s.
TDU was iconic as it was the only game that I played that correctly simulated cars with my G25 wheel. If you didn't clutch to shift the gearbox, it died out. If you were in an Enzo, you could only use the paddle shifters. I have TDU2 but haven't played it. I'm hoping 3 will be great.

The new game is set to premiere at Nacon Connect tomorrow. The live streamed event will start at 1900 CEST (UTC +2), or 1300 EDT.

Reactions: M76
like this
Test Drive Unlimited: Solar Crown is being revealed about 28 minutes into the live stream, for anyone not watching. It does not show anything from the game, just talking about the goals and experience the dev team is bringing to the project. Good news is that they say they are still creating a 1:1 scale island in the game, but they did not reveal which island they are modeling. Sounds like they are still early in the development process, so I would not expect a release anytime soon.

The guy in charge seems to understand what made the game successful in the first place, and says he worked on the original. I'll take his word for it. Unfortunately development has only started a few months ago, so even an optimistic scenario would mean 2022.

TDU was great, but let's remember it came out in a world where Forza Horizon didn't exist. Today... That's a pretty big challenge for a small developer and publisher to go up against one of MSes biggest franchises. I don't see how they could one up Forza.

TDU was great, but let's remember it came out in a world where Forza Horizon didn't exist. Today... That's a pretty big challenge for a small developer and publisher to go up against one of MSes biggest franchises. I don't see how they could one up Forza.
Easy, Forza Horizon is total garbage even compared to the 15 year old TDU. It does not understand car culture, it does not respect car culture, it does not respect the sensation of driving, it is just an arcade game, trying to be fast and the furious.

Easy, Forza Horizon is total garbage even compared to the 15 year old TDU. It does not understand car culture, it does not respect car culture, it does not respect the sensation of driving, it is just an arcade game, trying to be fast and the furious.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion... but I think you know that most people would disagree. I can't find many sales figures on the franchise, but some quick googling shows Horizon 3 moved 2.5 million units, and Horizon 4 hit 10 milllion players a full year ago. The later doesn't reflect sales as game pass is a thing, but it's no doubt grown a lot since then and shows the massive player base the series has. That many people wouldn't be playing it if it were "total garbage". I'm not sure you're point about car culture? It's a simcade racer, and it doesn't try to be anything else (yes... simcade. Arcade = NFS. There's no boost, no taking every corner flat out , etc. The driving sure can be dumbed down with the assists, but with everything off, while still far from an actual sim, it's also not the typical arcade racer crap). What does it need car culture for? What even is car culture? I play racing games for the fun of doing laps, not because I need to to be a hyper realistic representation of how cars and racing work in real life. Also, I don't understand how this can even be used as an arguement that TDU is/ will be any better than Horizon... as if it's somehow different. My memory is a little fuzzy, but I remember it playing out like a hilariously bad reality TV show. Please tell me about all the car culture in TDU's stupid plot. Also, it's not as if TDU was a sim racer. The two games are fundamentally the same game, and you're argument comes across as little more than bias. You're literally saying TDU will easily best Horizon by doing all the same things Horizon does. I get the idea that you are probably into cars / racing IRL and thus take the subject pretty seriously. That's all well and good, but then it should make it obvious that Horizon is not for you (and to that end, TDU shouldn't be either). That doesn't make it a bad game, that just means you don't like it. There is a difference

You're certainly entitled to your opinion... but I think you know that most people would disagree. I can't find many sales figures on the franchise, but some quick googling shows Horizon 3 moved 2.5 million units, and Horizon 4 hit 10 milllion players a full year ago. The later doesn't reflect sales as game pass is a thing, but it's no doubt grown a lot since then and shows the massive player base the series has. That many people wouldn't be playing it if it were "total garbage". I'm not sure you're point about car culture? It's a simcade racer, and it doesn't try to be anything else (yes... simcade. Arcade = NFS. There's no boost, no taking every corner flat out , etc. The driving sure can be dumbed down with the assists, but with everything off, while still far from an actual sim, it's also not the typical arcade racer crap). What does it need car culture for? What even is car culture? I play racing games for the fun of doing laps, not because I need to to be a hyper realistic representation of how cars and racing work in real life. Also, I don't understand how this can even be used as an arguement that TDU is/ will be any better than Horizon... as if it's somehow different. My memory is a little fuzzy, but I remember it playing out like a hilariously bad reality TV show. Please tell me about all the car culture in TDU's stupid plot. Also, it's not as if TDU was a sim racer. The two games are fundamentally the same game, and you're argument comes across as little more than bias. You're literally saying TDU will easily best Horizon by doing all the same things Horizon does. I get the idea that you are probably into cars / racing IRL and thus take the subject pretty seriously. That's all well and good, but then it should make it obvious that Horizon is not for you (and to that end, TDU shouldn't be either). That doesn't make it a bad game, that just means you don't like it. There is a difference
I see I hit a nerve, you can like Horizon, but numbers alone doesn't mean it's a better or a good car game. It tries to appeal to a broader audience probably that's why it has so many players. Horizon takes the social media approach of things, TDU takes the cars and driving cars, buying cars is awesome approach. In Horizon cars are just a means to an end, not the end itself. In TDU getting a new car or your first car was an event in of itself. I still remember getting my first car in TDU, in 2006. I don't remember getting my first car in horizon 4, and I played that 9 months ago. In TDU there were no bad medium and good cars, every car was awesome in its own way. In Horizon 4 I needed about 2 cars to complete the entire campaign. The rest were completely forgettable. In TDU there was a race or event for every type of vehicle. Circuit races, closed races, races with traffic, endurance races, and other activities. In TDU I never felt I was racing to get an achivement or unlock something. I was racing because it felt great.

For example the hitchhiker missions were a unbelievably simple concept yet it was fun. Whether you failed or succeeded you wanted to try again. In HZ4 the challenges are completely unrealistic, over the top, and annoying.

I'm not saying HZ4 is bad compared to other arcade games of today. It is probably the best. But compared to TDU? It's a speck of dust. So if this turns out anything like TDU, it's guaranteed to be better than soulless horizon can ever be. Note: Being good does not equal commercial success!

No one is saying that Forza Horizon doesn't sell well. But Test Drive Unlimited is a vastly superior game to Horizon, so in comparison to TDU it is "garbage." They're not "fundamentally" the same game. The only similarity between the two are an open map that you drive cars around.

TDU2 introduced the TV angle, but it was ancillary to the lifestyle mechanic. It's funny that you criticize TDU for playing out like "a hilariously bad reality TV show" when that has been how Forza Horizon has been since the very first game. The original TDU didn't try to wrap the game around any kind of story like that. You were just new to the island, move into a house, buy a car, and engage in various driving tasks.

I am into cars, racing and all that and I enjoy both Forza series. I enjoy almost all types of racing games, in fact. That does not preclude me from recognizing that some racing games are better than others.

I see I hit a nerve, you can like Horizon, but numbers alone doesn't mean it's a better or a good car game. It tries to appeal to a broader audience probably that's why it has so many players. Horizon takes the social media approach of things, TDU takes the cars and driving cars, buying cars is awesome approach. In Horizon cars are just a means to an end, not the end itself. In TDU getting a new car or your first car was an event in of itself. I still remember getting my first car in TDU, in 2006. I don't remember getting my first car in horizon 4, and I played that 9 months ago. In TDU there were no bad medium and good cars, every car was awesome in its own way. In Horizon 4 I needed about 2 cars to complete the entire campaign. The rest were completely forgettable. In TDU there was a race or event for every type of vehicle. Circuit races, closed races, races with traffic, endurance races, and other activities. In TDU I never felt I was racing to get an achivement or unlock something. I was racing because it felt great.

For example the hitchhiker missions were a unbelievably simple concept yet it was fun. Whether you failed or succeeded you wanted to try again. In HZ4 the challenges are completely unrealistic, over the top, and annoying.

You didn't hit a nerve at all. As I said, you're more than entitled to your opinion, it's just a very confusing one for two games so similar. And while I agree that Horizons challenges are stupid, that's not why I play the game. I didn't like the hitchhiker missions in TDU either. I play racing games to race, the filler in between doesn't matter to me. As a racing game, they both feel very similar.

I'm not saying HZ4 is bad compared to other arcade games of today. It is probably the best. But compared to TDU? It's a speck of dust. So if this turns out anything like TDU, it's guaranteed to be better than soulless horizon can ever be. Note: Being good does not equal commercial success!

My original statement had nothing to do with quality, only the challenge it faces stepping into the arena with Horizon. Your last statement there was sort of exactly my point. TDU was good. The next entry will probably be good too. That doesn't mean it can succeed in a space dominated by Horizon.

No one is saying that Forza Horizon doesn't sell well. But Test Drive Unlimited is a vastly superior game to Horizon, so in comparison to TDU it is "garbage." They're not "fundamentally" the same game. The only similarity between the two are an open map that you drive cars around.

TDU2 introduced the TV angle, but it was ancillary to the lifestyle mechanic. It's funny that you criticize TDU for playing out like "a hilariously bad reality TV show" when that has been how Forza Horizon has been since the very first game. The original TDU didn't try to wrap the game around any kind of story like that. You were just new to the island, move into a house, buy a car, and engage in various driving tasks.

I am into cars, racing and all that and I enjoy both Forza series. I enjoy almost all types of racing games, in fact. That does not preclude me from recognizing that some racing games are better than others.

The only thing that makes the two similar are the open map and driving? That's... a confusing argument. We're talking about a racing game here. Driving is what you do. If the way the actual racing feels is similar (and by my recollection, it is), and the environment you are racing in is similar... what as else there? Obviously they handle certain things differently... but when the racing part of two racing games is similar... I'd say that makes them pretty similar.

Also, I don't like Horizon's "story" any better than TDUs. Rather, I think the stupid, phoned in stories in both games is just another thing that makes them similar. Admittedly, my memory of the two games has sort of blurred together, I couldn't tell you what aspects I remember were from TDU or TDU 2. But from what I remember, getting a house a house and all that, it didn't matter to me. I just wanted to race cars. That's the same reason I play Forza. I' never said one game is not better than the other. I said that to imply that TDU is good while calling Horizon garbage seems like an extreme reach for two games that I consider extremely similar. I also said that it will be challenging for TDU to compete with Horizon, and that point stands. Like it or not, Horizon is their competition. Horizon is the game that this will get judged against. The fact that Horizon is the default choice for an open world, simcade racer cannot be ignored just because you think it's been dumbed down or that TDU had a better presentation. Horizon is this games competition. Really, it's only competition. Forza has Microsofts money behind it and a new console to flex on. It is a force to be reckoned with. Rebooting a 10 year old franchise to go up against the reining champion, with a much greater budget and following backing it, is a tall order. Even if TDU is a better game. As M76 said, being good doesn't equal commercial success... which was pretty much my entire point. I am skeptical that this game can compete against Forza.

Maybe it wasn't clear... I want this game to be good, and be successful. I really liked these games. I am skeptical that the later can be achieved.

You didn't hit a nerve at all. As I said, you're more than entitled to your opinion, it's just a very confusing one for two games so similar. And while I agree that Horizons challenges are stupid, that's not why I play the game. I didn't like the hitchhiker missions in TDU either. I play racing games to race, the filler in between doesn't matter to me. As a racing game, they both feel very similar.

My original statement had nothing to do with quality, only the challenge it faces stepping into the arena with Horizon. Your last statement there was sort of exactly my point. TDU was good. The next entry will probably be good too. That doesn't mean it can succeed in a space dominated by Horizon.

The only thing that makes the two similar are the open map and driving? That's... a confusing argument. We're talking about a racing game here. Driving is what you do. If the way the actual racing feels is similar (and by my recollection, it is), and the environment you are racing in is similar... what as else there? Obviously they handle certain things differently... but when the racing part of two racing games is similar... I'd say that makes them pretty similar.

Also, I don't like Horizon's "story" any better than TDUs. Rather, I think the stupid, phoned in stories in both games is just another thing that makes them similar. Admittedly, my memory of the two games has sort of blurred together, I couldn't tell you what aspects I remember were from TDU or TDU 2. But from what I remember, getting a house a house and all that, it didn't matter to me. I just wanted to race cars. That's the same reason I play Forza. I' never said one game is not better than the other. I said that to imply that TDU is good while calling Horizon garbage seems like an extreme reach for two games that I consider extremely similar. I also said that it will be challenging for TDU to compete with Horizon, and that point stands. Like it or not, Horizon is their competition. Horizon is the game that this will get judged against. The fact that Horizon is the default choice for an open world, simcade racer cannot be ignored just because you think it's been dumbed down or that TDU had a better presentation. Horizon is this games competition. Really, it's only competition. Forza has Microsofts money behind it and a new console to flex on. It is a force to be reckoned with. Rebooting a 10 year old franchise to go up against the reining champion, with a much greater budget and following backing it, is a tall order. Even if TDU is a better game. As M76 said, being good doesn't equal commercial success... which was pretty much my entire point. I am skeptical that this game can compete against Forza.

Maybe it wasn't clear... I want this game to be good, and be successful. I really liked these games. I am skeptical that the later can be achieved.
Saying TDU and Horizon are similar because they're both driving games is like saying The Elder Scrolls and The Witcher are similar because they're both role-playing games.

Saying TDU and Horizon are similar because they're both driving games is like saying The Elder Scrolls and The Witcher are similar because they're both role-playing games.

Well... yeah? When the conversation of fantasy RPG comes up, Elder Scrolls and Witcher are the two titles in which all others get compared to. Yes, their are many things that make them different, but there are also many things that make them similar. I'm not sure why you wouldn't call them similar... we must have pretty different definitions for that word.

I feel like we're splitting hairs here. Of course TDU and Horizon are not the same game. But if you had to find a genre to place them in... both would be "open world racing". Two games in the same genre... especially a genre that pretty much consists of two games (three if you count the crew?)... that seems a fair comparison to me. You're kidding yourself if you think this game won't be competing with Horizon. Let's table this until review time and play a game where-in we see what percentage of reviews reference Horizon (and I don't want to hear the I dont trust reviews blah blah blah, I don't care what they have to say about quality, only if the games get compared... which they will).

I'm really not sure you're understand me (or you're purposefully ignoring what I'm saying in favor of having a different arguement). I'm not saying Forza is better than TDU, or that this new game won't be as good (or better) than Forza. I'm saying that's its competition. For people who don't buy a lot of games, those are two games they are likely to chose one or the other (save for PlayStation, obviously). It's the game reviewers are going to compare it to. It's the game players are going to compare it to. To pretend otherwise is to be biased because you like one game better than the other.

Also, debating whether or not the game will be better at this point, is stupid. We know basically nothing about it. Nacon, Bigben, KT Racing.... none of them have any affiliation with the series that I'm aware of. TDU was Atari and Eden. Do we even know if there is anyone who worked on the original games working on this new game? For all we know, they'll take the name and produce a turd, so trying to debate whether or not this game will be better than Forza is stupid. The only assumption to be made at this point is that this will be an open world racer, which is what Horizon is, which makes them the competition.

Last edited:
To you they might feel the same, to me they are nothing alike. One is flashy, over the top, the other is subtle and relaxed.

My original statement had nothing to do with quality, only the challenge it faces stepping into the arena with Horizon.
That was not clear at all, one up-ing usually means doing better. I just want a better game. And I assumed you meant they can't do a better game.

Your last statement there was sort of exactly my point.
I have a suspicion that you are retroactively changing what you meant :D But fine, I'll take your word for it.

Well... yeah? When the conversation of fantasy RPG comes up, Elder Scrolls and Witcher are the two titles in which all others get compared to. Yes, their are many things that make them different, but there are also many things that make them similar. I'm not sure why you wouldn't call them similar... we must have pretty different definitions for that word.
They are in the same genre they are both fantasy RPGs, and that's where the similarities end. What is your point?
I feel like we're splitting hairs here. Of course TDU and Horizon are not the same game. But if you had to find a genre to place them in... both would be "open world racing". Two games in the same genre... especially a genre that pretty much consists of two games (three if you count the crew?)... that seems a fair comparison to me. You're kidding yourself if you think this game won't be competing with Horizon. Let's table this until review time and play a game where-in we see what percentage of reviews reference Horizon (and I don't want to hear the I dont trust reviews blah blah blah, I don't care what they have to say about quality, only if the games get compared... which they will).
I compared Horizon to TDU too, so what? What does that prove?

I'm really not sure you're understand me (or you're purposefully ignoring what I'm saying in favor of having a different arguement). I'm not saying Forza is better than TDU, or that this new game won't be as good (or better) than Forza. I'm saying that's its competition. For people who don't buy a lot of games, those are two games they are likely to chose one or the other (save for PlayStation, obviously). It's the game reviewers are going to compare it to. It's the game players are going to compare it to. To pretend otherwise is to be biased because you like one game better than the other.
Oh I understand you, you prevision a failure for the game because nobody can one-up horizon But now your are going off on a complete tangent, nobody said they won't be compared. I said it is easy to do better because Horizon is not much of a game compared to TDU. Then you' went on trying to prove they are exactly the same. But that's just arguing taste, and you can't argue taste. I'm telling you TDU and Horizon is not the same to me, not even in the same ballpark. You can have a different opinion but that does not invalidate mine

Also, debating whether or not the game will be better at this point, is stupid. We know basically nothing about it. Nacon, Bigben, KT Racing.... none of them have any affiliation with the series that I'm aware of. TDU was Atari and Eden. Do we even know if there is anyone who worked on the original games working on this new game? For all we know, they'll take the name and produce a turd, so trying to debate whether or not this game will be better than Forza is stupid. The only assumption to be made at this point is that this will be an open world racer, which is what Horizon is, which makes them the competition.
You started it. BTW you just have to read the last post I made before you came in predicting the game not one uping forza, to answer this question.

That was not clear at all, one up-ing usually means doing better. I just want a better game. And I assumed you meant they can't do a better game.
I have a suspicion that you are retroactively changing what you meant :D But fine, I'll take your word for it.

As we have no doubt proven, better is pretty subjective. Unfortunately, for a TDU reboot to be successful, I question if being better in your eyes is good enough. The whole crux of my statement was that at the time of TDU's release, there really wasn't anything else like it. It stood alone. Given that this title is likely a few years off, it's logical to assume it'll be going up against the next Horizon title, the first on a MSes new console. It's likely to be a huge, expensive game. Likely much more so than TDU will be. We can argue all day about better, worse, similar, different... none of that matters. What matters is that Horizon is this games competition, and that competition is significant. It's not necessarily just about being better, it's about being better enough to get people to either buy both, or buy this over Forza. I really question whether a small developer with a history of only rally games with a lukewarm reception has the ability, or money, to make that game. I hope they do, it's not like I want this game to be bad, or to fail. I'm just skeptical.

Bottom line is, I called into question if this game can become what it needs to be to compete with Horizon. You said that will be a non-issue because Horizon is garbage. Your personal opinion does not represent or reflect how the masses feel, as evident by the popularity of Horizon. Your implication was that Horizon is not competition for TDU. I disagree, I think it will be significant competition.

They are in the same genre they are both fantasy RPGs, and that's where the similarities end. What is your point?

He brought it up that it would be wrong to compare these games because they are so different as an example to why you also cannot compare TDU and Horizon. I disagree on both counts. They fall within the same genre and appeal to the same groups of people. The same is true of Horizon and TDU... which is to reaffirm my point that they are competitors and and TDU is the underdog that needs to prove itself.

I compared Horizon to TDU too, so what? What does that prove?

I'm not even sure what you are asking? You should be comparing TDU to Horizon. Everyone else will be.

Oh I understand you, you prevision a failure for the game because nobody can one-up horizon But now your are going off on a complete tangent, nobody said they won't be compared. I said it is easy to do better because Horizon is not much of a game compared to TDU. Then you' went on trying to prove they are exactly the same. But that's just arguing taste, and you can't argue taste. I'm telling you TDU and Horizon is not the same to me, not even in the same ballpark. You can have a different opinion but that does not invalidate mine

No, you don't understand me. For one, I did not "prevision" a failure. You are acting like I've attacked this game. I said this game has to compete against Horizon, something it did not face 10 years ago. I prevision a challenge. Do you really believe, prejudice against Horizon aside, that Horizon's position in the market plays no bearing on the success or failure of this game? You said it's easy to do better, but you also apparently have a very low opinion of Horizon. As I said above, the success and popularity of Horizon suggests many disagree with you.

I'm not trying to invalidate your opinion. You are welcome to it. I am not even saying I disagree with your opinion [that TDU is the better game]. I am saying that you're opinion of TDU is irreverent to the challenge this game will face by competing with Horizon. Your argument comes across as "this game will be fine because I like it better", which is preposterous.

You started it.

I started what? I made an off handed comment that this game needs to be mindful of the fact that it's a little fish in a big pond. You are the one who came in saying this is a non-issue because Horizon is a bad game, as if your opinion of Horizon is fact and you're personal feelings about these two games will dictate how they perform. From there we (along with Armenius) stumbled into a pointless argument about which game is better and whether or not they can be considered similar games. We've all made our position clear, I don't care to revisit either argument.

BTW you just have to read the last post I made before you came in predicting the game not one uping forza, to answer this question.

Sigh... I didn't predict anything. I made a damn comment about how this game will face significant competition it didn't before, and you are trying to make that comment into me shitting on this game and white knighting Forza, which could not be farther from the truth. I want this to be good. I want it to be better than Forza. I don't dislike Forza, but I'm sure burned out on it, and more than ready for a fresh take on the genre. That doesn't mean I'm going to pretend it doesn't exist or that it has no bearing on whether or not TDU can be successfully rebooted.

Regardless, it's good to hear that someone associated with the originals is working on this, but it's a bit early to start assuming this game will be faithful to the others just because some guy said so. I'll say it again, just so that it's painfully clear, i'm neither predicting or hoping for this games demise. I'm skeptical. I don't think that's unfair, and I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong.

Last edited:
'New' trailer, well actually it came out in april but I totally missed it.

i like how Armenius was up in arms about FH5's avatar customization/cosmetics and mentioned TDUSC.. which is amping up that aspect even more, lol

That was the main draw of TDU to begin with, it's not just a driving experience, but a lifestyle experience. Buying expensive houses cars and clothes.

I think he was referring to the "more diverse" statement about Forza. When a game's features are listed as having a "diverse cast" you know they have their priorities wrong.

Back