Tesla's Semi Truck is Really Fast

$150,000+ while offering only 300-500 miles range between lengthy charges. Uh, good luck with that.

In Europe truckers are not allowed to drive more than 8 hours per day. So I guess 500 miles range on normal speed is enough.

In Europe truckers are not allowed to drive more than 8 hours per day. So I guess 500 miles range on normal speed is enough.

My buddy is a truck driver here in Germany. He doesn't even drive out country. They have like trailer swap locations at the borders. Some delivers the trailer at the border, they pick it up and move it around Germany. That or the other way around, they drop it off at the border and someone else takes it to scoot it around their country or have it transit through to another country.

I don't know if this is common practice or if it's just the company he works for. I definitely see non-German trucks driving through Germany. They also get paid shit.

Yeah... they do offer loans that long but that's a horrible idea. It isn't like a home mortgage where the house can actually go up in value. By year 6 on any "normal" car or truck, you're likely going to owe more on the loan than the vehicle is worth, and still be years away from actually paying it off, nevermind stretching out the interest that long. That's the sort of trap car dealerships will use on people when they refuse to discuss totals but will happily "help you with your payment, let's get that payment down to something manageable, see isn't that such a better number every month?" when you're actually paying even more money for the vehicle.

It might make the difference between having a truck and not though. I can barely afford my current truck on a 5 year loan. I might pay more for it on a 8 but at least I can afford the monthly payments. And that was with saving up every month for 5 years before I got the damn thing which I will keep for 20. I kept my last truck for 26 years.

Considering most fork truck battery chargers are 3ph, I would say it'll be 480/3. Possibility of even having 4160 mains to keep grid current draw down and smaller transformers
I'm sure they would offer charging stations similar in design to how their Tesla Supercharger is setup, which requires a 12kV / 750kVA feed, stepped down to 480V/3ph, tied to (2) 2000A switchgear units, qualified for charging up to 8 vehicles at 480V/200A for optimal charging time. It might even require more power though, since they'd likely want to charge the trucks faster, with more charging ports available at truck stops. That said, if this were to be put into practice around the US, we'd need a lot of grid upgrades with more baseload suppliers since we already see a lot of low voltage follow-through in the summer months in many areas.

was at an air show and someone had a Peterbilt cab with a J10 engine mounted on it. It went 300+ mph. It moved so fast across the tarmac that it looked unreal as you watched it ... but not sure about unleashing a semi that does 0-60, fully loaded and in 5 seconds to some of the semi drivers I've seen on the road

was at an air show and someone had a Peterbilt cab with a J10 engine mounted on it. It went 300+ mph. It moved so fast across the tarmac that it looked unreal as you watched it ... but not sure about unleashing a semi that does 0-60, fully loaded and in 5 seconds to some of the semi drivers I've seen on the road
Well that's fine, because the tesla truck doesn't do 0-60 in 5 seconds when fully loaded and they never claimed it did. Read the first post:

Tesla has previously said their semi truck can do 0-60 in 5 seconds and loaded with 80K pounds it can do that in 20 seconds. I would have to see that to believe it and now I've seen a video that makes me tend to believe Tesla and their claims. Check this out.

Watch the video here.

Back