Tesla's Semi Truck is Really Fast

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Tesla has previously said their semi truck can do 0-60 in 5 seconds and loaded with 80K pounds it can do that in 20 seconds. I would have to see that to believe it and now I've seen a video that makes me tend to believe Tesla and their claims. Check this out.

Watch the video here.

I'll just leave this here...

The reason that tesla is so damned fast off the line is traction control magic because electric engines.

There is no magic in traction control. Also its not just traction control. Electric engines are capable of producing the torque faster than ICE engines. There isnt a "transmission" in the same way there is in an ICE car which is what causes ICE cars to lag on acceleration (as gears shift).

$150,000+ while offering only 300-500 miles range between lengthy charges. Uh, good luck with that.

So it costs roughly the same as a new Semi (my friend in the industry said 150k is not unreasonable if its a nice truck, 200k is possible if its all tricked out) and uses no gas. Yeah I think they could have good luck with it.

I don't see why benefit to marketing the trucks as fast acceleration vehicles other than to fill the newsfeeds with stuff that's irrelevant. Having slow acceleration trucks are probably safer for everyone.

I don't see why benefit to marketing the trucks as fast acceleration vehicles other than to fill the newsfeeds with stuff that's irrelevant. Having slow acceleration trucks are probably safer for everyone.

"Sex appeal"? I know plenty of people who think electric cars are so much sexier because they can get to 60mph faster than ICE cars. Why? They cant really answer that...just that its cooler to get there faster.

The speed of electric vehicles doesn't impress me on a visceral level the way powerful combustion-based ones do. They sound like giant RC toys.

Thats fixable with some speakers and a midi ;)

What kind of outlets do these trucks need to plug in? I assume multiple 240v or equivalent. Charging at loading/offloading I assume would be pretty measly with 110v.

I'd guess for most of the facilities that where this will be docked, they should have 480v 3y or higher capacity.

"Sex appeal"? I know plenty of people who think electric cars are so much sexier because they can get to 60mph faster than ICE cars. Why? They cant really answer that...just that its cooler to get there faster.
Truckers/Trucking industry and sex appeal? What are you saying?
Sports cars/whatever that may have some sex appeal to some people? Ok, i can get that. Trucks? lol. What's next, sexy freight trains?

I'd guess for most of the facilities that where this will be docked, they should have 480v 3y or higher capacity.

Sounds like it's more ideal for daily deliveries, etc. and not cross country travel at this point.

What kind of outlets do these trucks need to plug in? I assume multiple 240v or equivalent. Charging at loading/offloading I assume would be pretty measly with 110v.

I am sure whoever orders a fleet of these will have 240v stations at their loading zones.

Sounds like it's more ideal for daily deliveries, etc. and not cross country travel at this point.

I'd like to see how much the range falls, or how much it slows down, when this Tesla is pulling 80k pounds up the grapevine or other mountain pass.

Sports cars/whatever that may have some sex appeal to some people? Ok, i can get that. Trucks? lol. What's next, sexy freight trains?

Hey I said I didnt get it. I am just trying to figure it out. Obviously its some sort of marketing technique that appeals to something in the human psyche.

I'd like to see how much the range falls, or how much it slows down, when this Tesla is pulling 80k pounds up the grapevine or other mountain pass.

Highly doubt these are doing mountain pass trips. these are going to be same city or next city over trips, and lots of them.

The speed of electric vehicles doesn't impress me on a visceral level the way powerful combustion-based ones do. They sound like giant RC toys.

They stick sound chips in many modern ICE sport cars these days to fake the sound of a beefy inefficient engine for old timers, no reason that can't be done in an EV for someone's badass grandpa lol.

I am sure whoever orders a fleet of these will have 240v stations at their loading zones.

Considering most fork truck battery chargers are 3ph, I would say it'll be 480/3. Possibility of even having 4160 mains to keep grid current draw down and smaller transformers

Whoever said "electric engine" and "lag due to gears" needs to go back to school.

Having good acceleration is good for the traffic grid throughput as well as safety. Speed differential is the biggest killer on the roads.

Also, unless under permit, most trucks can only pull around 19T to stay under gross (40T). That's right, road truck and trailer are about 20T wet

Source: Me! Former OTR driver turned Industrial Maintenance Electrician

Because when they're hauling 60,000 pounds worth of crap and don't take forever to accelerate, they aren't causing traffic problems for everyone else in the vicinity.

Because when they're hauling 60,000 pounds worth of crap and don't take forever to accelerate, they aren't causing traffic problems for everyone else in the vicinity.
Do these vehicles have extra fast breaking brakes to go along with the fast acceleration? That's not part of the marketing campaign for these vehicles.

Reactions: DocNo
like this
Isn't this kind of a have-to-start-small situation? Like many places started small with laws making talking on a cell phone while driving a secondary offense then progressing to making it a primary offense.

Okay, it can do zero to a gazillion MPH in 6 seconds.

Now how well does it STOP?

Do these vehicles have extra fast breaking brakes to go along with the fast acceleration? That's not part of the marketing campaign for these vehicles.

Good braking means good tires, something most people tend to ignore. It doesn't matter if you have the best brakes in the world if your tire is unable to maintain traction. Also, just because it can accelerate fast doesn't mean tailgating the car in front.

Only two solid ways to move an electric motor from 0Hz to xHz and back to 0Hz without it being abrupt and destroying couplings and shafts: VFD or using bulky ass WRM's(via saturable reactor control). The controls for WRM are excessively large for this application, so my bets are they are using a VFD with a 3ph SCIM. You'll also have dynamic and regen braking (these will simulate compression and Jake brakes), charge back the battery, as well as functioning before n% of brake pedal action

Already there. There is sexy freight trains also that flex their acceleration rate. Basically if it is faster then it is sexier. I don't disagree!

Good braking means good tires, something most people tend to ignore. It doesn't matter if you have the best brakes in the world if your tire is unable to maintain traction. Also, just because it can accelerate fast doesn't mean tailgating the car in front.

Bingo. It's like some people haven't actually driven in traffic before. The fully loaded semi merging onto the freeway is not in danger of running into the car ahead just because it can get from 0-60 in 20 seconds.

Considering most fork truck battery chargers are 3ph, I would say it'll be 480/3. Possibility of even having 4160 mains to keep grid current draw down and smaller transformers

Whoever said "electric engine" and "lag due to gears" needs to go back to school.

Having good acceleration is good for the traffic grid throughput as well as safety. Speed differential is the biggest killer on the roads.

Also, unless under permit, most trucks can only pull around 19T to stay under gross (40T). That's right, road truck and trailer are about 20T wet

Source: Me! Former OTR driver turned Industrial Maintenance Electrician

The regular trucks here are 60 ton and with special permit, 105 tons. I doubt the electric truck will be a success - there are a gazillion of truck stops that lack a charge option.

The regular trucks here are 60 ton and with special permit, 105 tons. I doubt the electric truck will be a success - there are a gazillion of truck stops that lack a charge option.

Have you seen Telsa's supercharger station map? No? Take a look. They have it covered.

Have you seen Telsa's supercharger station map? No? Take a look. They have it covered.

And what happens when a tesla S takes the charger spot and 10 big rigs are waiting in cue with contracts popping? :D

And what happens when a tesla S takes the charger spot and 10 big rigs are waiting in cue with contracts popping? :D

You clealry didnt think that out before you posted it. Their stations will likely have special spots just for trucks that wont work with the cars...and vice versa.

They stick sound chips in many modern ICE sport cars these days to fake the sound of a beefy inefficient engine for old timers, no reason that can't be done in an EV for someone's badass grandpa lol.

i have been saying they really need to add such to all electric vehicles. That way those in their prius can pull up to a stop sign and "rev" their engines to make it sound like an old muscle car

Once upon a time there weren't any truck stops.

I imagine that the initial use for these will be local delivery trucks and LTL routes.

Lolwut. Have you never been to a truck stop? There are completely separate fuel lanes for four wheelers and big trucks.. They are usually even on completely opposite sides of the lot

Back