Tesla’s Model 3 Has a Range of 310 Miles, EPA Confirms

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Tesla’s Model 3, the most important car to come out in decades, has a confirmed range of 310 miles, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. That figure applies to the long-range version of the Model 3, and echoes the vehicle specs released by Tesla back in July. It also makes the Model 3 one of the most efficient passenger electric vehicles on the market.

It officially makes Tesla’s new vehicle the second most efficient car available for sale, according to the EPA. That’s 131 MPGe for city driving, 120 MPGe on the highway, and 126 MPGe combined. The Model 3 is second only to the Hyundai Ioniq Electric with an impressive 136 MPGe. The Korean automaker was able to achieve such great efficiency with a relatively small 28 kWh battery pack and range of 124 miles on a single charge.

And the cost difference? Aren't these still super expensive?

Average transaction price will be $45k+ and unless you already put your deposit down months ago that federal tax credit is history. Also that 310 mile is the long range version so definitely not the base $35k model.

45k is still considerably cheper than the previous options - EVs are dropping in price and will bring about the end of ICE vehicles.

Why would anybody with a right mind buy a Tesla? While not a certainty there is a strong chance they will go out of business in the not so distant future:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/26/in-praise-of-teslas-bankruptcy/

Because of a shortage of Cobalt, an essential component in Lithium Ion batteries, prices for Cobalt is sky-rocketing.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/01/01/no-cobalt-no-tesla/

It appears predictions of the demise of the Internal Combustion Engine may be premature. Electric cars may be a tiny niche market until a revolutionary battery technology is discovered.

I can't say I'd touch a Model 3 for at least a year or two, it's going to have some serious issues. Hitting a much lower price point than previous models and producing several times as many units for a new automaker is not conducive to long term reliability.

The EV I am most looking forward to is the VW Microbus but that is still 5 years off which will be too late for me.

Great; now make it so that I can recharge it in 10 minutes anywhere I'd find a gas station (including remote areas), and I'm in.

45k is still considerably cheper than the previous options - EVs are dropping in price and will bring about the end of ICE vehicles.

I say they still need to knock off 20 more thousand.

Smaller battery pack means less weight. Less weight means less powerful motors. Less powerful motors means less power needed.

That's a big duh why the Hyundai won.

You would never recoup the cost with a 300,000 mile lifetime versus say a 4 banger Ford fusion

For all practical purposes until the limitations of battery tech are resolved (supply, cost, power density, range, charge time) the plug in hybrid is the closest practical everyday car. (Unless you have the money to purchase both dedicated electric and hybrid/pure gas)

I'll take a guess these figures are based on living somewhere moderately warm but not warm enough so you turn on the air conditioning.

I'll take a guess these figures are based on living somewhere moderately warm but not warm enough so you turn on the air conditioning.
Yes, ideal conditions, not realistic. Can you say, "Your miles may vary?" Range in Northern states in the Winter: 100-200 miles depending on temperature and road conditions.

Great; now make it so that I can recharge it in 10 minutes anywhere I'd find a gas station (including remote areas), and I'm in.

If your daily total commute is more than 300 miles, and your work doesn't offer charging stations, then this car isn't for you. For the rest of us with normal human commutes, it will last all day and you charge it at night. Never have to waste time at a gas station again, your car is full every morning.

The AC uses surprisingly little power. My old boss has a 75, and can leave the AC on in his car for an hour and loses like 3% charge.

Yes, ideal conditions, not realistic. Can you say, "Your miles may vary?" Range in Northern states in the Winter: 100-200 miles depending on temperature and road conditions.

You mean the exact same thing that applies to ICE cars?... It all depends on how you drive......

Back