Tesla Unveils Model Y Electric SUV with 300-Mile Range and Seven Seats

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Tesla officially announced the latest member of its vehicle family Thursday, the Model Y, a crossover/compact SUV version of the Model 3 starting at $39,000. The Y is rather similar appearance-wise but sits a little higher, offering 66 cubic feet (1.9 cubic meters) of storage space and an optional third row for up to seven seats. Specs include 300 miles of range, expected 5-star rating, 0 to 60 in 3.5 seconds, and a 0.23 drag coefficient.

The more expensive versions of Model Y with a bigger battery pack, dual motor, and higher performance are going to come first in Fall 2020. This one is likely going to use the same Long Range battery pack as Model 3 and it is getting a slightly shorter range due to the size. Instead of opening reservations with a $1,000 deposit like they did for the Model 3, Tesla already launched the Model Y online design studio and buyers can place an order with a $2,500 deposit.

Jumping into the thread early so I have good seats. I'm expecting some good, clean vitriol. :smug:

Looks pretty much how you would expected a slightly lifted & stretched Model 3 to look. Nice that Tesla managed to squeeze a third row in there; handy if you have kids & their friends to haul around. Tesla should have no trouble selling every one of these they can make; the smaller CUV market is really hot right now, and and are extremely popular in Europe, the US, and China, making up 11%,12%, and 20% of all auto sales. http://carsalesbase.com/category/car-sales-us/car-sales-segments-us/ http://carsalesbase.com/category/car-sales-europe/car-sales-segments/

Jumping into the thread early so I have good seats. I'm expecting some good, clean vitriol. :smug:

you could have brought some popcorn too man.... move over.

and now for something completely ON topic:
that third row kinda looks like its designed with kids and midgets in mind. not really even sure how you get in there and ive only been able to find a single pic of it which has the seats folded down

I would still prefer a Jaguar I-pace over any Tesla. They are sex on wheels.

The Jaguar I-Pace does indeed look better than the Tesla, and I prefer its more conventional interior layout to the extremely minimalist design Tesla went with in the Model 3 & Y, but the Telsa does have some key advantages over the I-Pace. For one price; the entry level I-Pace starts at $69k, while the entry level Model Y will be $39k. Even the long range, AWD version of the Model Y will start at $51k, and have a 50 mile range advantage over the I-Pace. The second advantage for Telsa is their charging network; you can drive a Tesla across broad swaths of the country in a reasonable amount of time, while the Jag has a more limited set of chargers it can use.

Hmmmm....does the "bigger battery" mean that when it ignites it will burn the Y to ash, practically, in < 3 minutes instead of the normal < 5 minutes? Thanks but no thanks! I'm going to pass.

The Jaguar I-Pace does indeed look better than the Tesla, and I prefer its more conventional interior layout to the extremely minimalist design Tesla went with in the Model 3 & Y, but the Telsa does have some key advantages over the I-Pace. For one price; the entry level I-Pace starts at $69k, while the entry level Model Y will be $39k. Even the long range, AWD version of the Model Y will start at $51k, and have a 50 mile range advantage over the I-Pace. The second advantage for Telsa is their charging network; you can drive a Tesla across broad swaths of the country in a reasonable amount of time, while the Jag has a more limited set of chargers it can use.

You're forgetting the caveat right on their website:

"Standard range production is expected to begin early 2021."

You can't buy the car for another 2-3 years. So there is no "$39k" car available to purchase.

Hmmmm....does the "bigger battery" mean that when it ignites it will burn the Y to ash, practically, in < 3 minutes instead of the normal < 5 minutes? Thanks but no thanks! I'm going to pass.

I would take the EV fire risk over gas powered fire risk any day.

Gas cars catch fire so often that it doesn't even make the news, unless it's an exotic or someone dies.

EV Batteries are actually a pretty slow burn getting going, giving ample time to get away.

I would take the EV fire risk over gas powered fire risk any day.

Gas cars catch fire so often that it doesn't even make the news, unless it's an exotic or someone dies.

EV Batteries are actually a pretty slow burn getting going, giving ample time to get away.

Unless the fancy mechanical release for the doors doesn't work and you burn to death in your car.

In fairness, not a EV issue and specifically a Tesla issue since they insist on form over function with their door handles.

Unless the fancy mechanical release for the doors doesn't work and you burn to death in your car.

In fairness, not a EV issue and specifically a Tesla issue since they insist on form over function with their door handles.

Electric lock/door releases are common on modern cars along with self locking once in motion, there was a guy who died (no fire) in his Corvette when he lost battery power.

This Tesla driver was estimated to be driving 75-90 MPH when he hit a tree, chances are the doors wouldn't have functioned in many cars at that point due to the frame being twisted. So blaming the pop out door handles is absurd.

That's why they have something called the "jaws of life" to tear cars open after high speed accidents.

People still don't get it. Gasoline and diesel powered cars burn every day. I've seen two gasoline powered vehicles on fire this year alone. They both occurred on the highway where I spend maybe 6 hours a week commuting. One was so bad they shutdown the other side of the highway and let it burn out. This idea that EVs are a bigger fire threat than 15 gallons of gasoline was manufactured by big oil companies. They have been fighting electric cars for years. People get killed in Fords and Chevys every day but it doesn't make the news. There are 150,000 car fires a year in the US on average, Tesla has 40 documented incidents in their history. Yes, if an EV catches fire it will burn for about 24 hours but gas cars can literally explode. It doesn't happen much these days because safety standards. In the mid 1970s, the Ford Pinto on it's own killed an estimated 180 people just from fires and explosions. All due to it's badly designed fuel tank.

I don't get the obsession with crossovers, and even more these crossovers that are literally nothing more than lifted hatchbacks. If I'm looking for a crossover SUV, I want one with the traditional boxy rear end dammit, that's actually useful. Otherwise give me a normal hatchback or sedan. Of course, there's no way they would get those aerodynamic numbers with the boxy rear end...

Electric lock/door releases are common on modern cars along with self locking once in motion, there was a guy who died (no fire) in his Corvette when he lost battery power.

This Tesla driver was estimated to be driving 75-90 MPH when he hit a tree, chances are the doors wouldn't have functioned in many cars at that point due to the frame being twisted. So blaming the pop out door handles is absurd.

That's why they have something called the "jaws of life" to tear cars open after high speed accidents.

You have no idea whether or not that's the case. What you do have in that scenario is bystanders relating that they couldn't get the door handles to open "after several minutes." Let's assume that people aren't as dumb as you think they are and know how to work a car door. No one mentioned a crushed door. They mentioned the handles not working. 3...2...1...lawsuit.

That being said. I would buy a Tesla if I thought the price was right. In the case with the Model Y, it's about $15,000 overpriced. I don't belong to the cult of the demi-god Musk to just purchase on a whim like some people. Cost/benefit still skews to a no buy in my use case, especially at current pricing.

Still waiting for Tesla to design a high-torque long-body platform that coach companies could use to make school buses. A school bus is a vehicle that drives less than 200 miles twice a day, and is available to recharge because it returns to its starting point each time. An electric school bus with independent all-wheel drive and a low, low center of gravity would be ideal. Backed with powerwalls and a municipal solar farm (depending on the available solar energy in the region) it would save a buttload of money.

P.S. If you say that you wouldn't allow your kid to ride to school in an electric school bus because of fire hazards from lithium batteries that's fine. You can drive them, I don't care.

Still waiting for Tesla to design a high-torque long-body platform that coach companies could use to make school buses. A school bus is a vehicle that drives less than 200 miles twice a day, and is available to recharge because it returns to its starting point each time. An electric school bus with independent all-wheel drive and a low, low center of gravity would be ideal. Backed with powerwalls and a municipal solar farm (depending on the available solar energy in the region) it would save a buttload of money.

P.S. If you say that you wouldn't allow your kid to ride to school in an electric school bus because of fire hazards from lithium batteries that's fine. You can drive them, I don't care.

As long as the doorway had a manual release, no problem ;).

You have no idea whether or not that's the case. What you do have in that scenario is bystanders relating that they couldn't get the door handles to open "after several minutes." Let's assume that people aren't as dumb as you think they are and know how to work a car door. No one mentioned a crushed door. They mentioned the handles not working. 3...2...1...lawsuit.

That being said. I would buy a Tesla if I thought the price was right. In the case with the Model Y, it's about $15,000 overpriced. I don't belong to the cult of the demi-god Musk to just purchase on a whim like some people. Cost/benefit still skews to a no buy in my use case, especially at current pricing.

Has anyone taken a second to consider that the doors may have been locked? Okay, maybe they weren't locked; if it is that kind of a situation, they still were not very bright! Pick up a rock, kick it in, do what it takes! Don't stand there like a moron pulling on the handle. Why are people so desperate to make Tesla look bad compared to other car manufacturers? What is it about progress that makes people lash out and get angry?

Has anyone taken a second to consider that the doors may have been locked? Okay, maybe they weren't locked; if it is that kind of a situation, they still were not very bright! Pick up a rock, kick it in, do what it takes! Don't stand there like a moron pulling on the handle. Why are people so desperate to make Tesla look bad compared to other car manufacturers? What is it about progress that makes people lash out and get angry?

That's the point. The doors are "supposed" to unlock and extend the handles in a crash. Everyone should drive with locked doors as a closed door is best to maintain the integrity of the frame in the event of a crash and a locked door makes it more likely that the door stays closed. Many newer cars lock the doors above a certain speed.

Some things that people who dont deal with snow here wouldnt care to think of: EV can start remotely and reliably even if snowed in for 2 weeks without having a need to light a fire undernearh the engine.

I wouldnt want a Tesla though.

I don't get the obsession with crossovers, and even more these crossovers that are literally nothing more than lifted hatchbacks. If I'm looking for a crossover SUV, I want one with the traditional boxy rear end dammit, that's actually useful. Otherwise give me a normal hatchback or sedan. Of course, there's no way they would get those aerodynamic numbers with the boxy rear end...

The car manufactures largely dropped station wagons and hatch backs, replacing then with SUV's and 4 door sedans.
Crossovers are just the new trendy replacement for slammer SUV's and sedans.

They are also popular among older people, as they are easier to get in & out of than a sedan.

I like the format, as SUV's are to big and have lower mileage than what I'd prefer.
With a large hatch in the back and the ability to lower the back seat, there is plenty of room to haul stuff.

If I need to buy a car in the next few years, it will likely be a RAV 4 or Honda CRV, preferably a hybrid version.

As for the Tesla or any other electric car, they still need to find a place for a spare tire if they ever want me to consider one.

Except for the extra money it would cost up front.

The question is how many years would it take to break even.

I’m sure they will, and it’ll be $39,000 for the base model (base model starting production 2023)*

*note: base model pricing for headline grabbing only. No base model will be sold in your lifetime, but you’re dumb so you’ll defend us as affordable anyway

That's the point. The doors are "supposed" to unlock and extend the handles in a crash. Everyone should drive with locked doors as a closed door is best to maintain the integrity of the frame in the event of a crash and a locked door makes it more likely that the door stays closed. Many newer cars lock the doors above a certain speed.

Teslas have a backup mechanical door release - so even if all electronics fail its possible to open cars front doors (unless cars structure is so compromised that jaws-of-life are needed).

The car manufactures largely dropped station wagons and hatch backs, replacing then with SUV's and 4 door sedans.

They are also popular among older people, as they are easier to get in & out of than a sedan.

I like the format, as SUV's are to big and have lower mileage than what I'd prefer.
With a large hatch in the back and the ability to lower the back seat, there is plenty of room to haul stuff.

If I need to buy a car in the next few years, it will likely be a RAV 4 or Honda CRV, preferably a hybrid version.

As for the Tesla or any other electric car, they still need to find a place for a spare tire if they ever want me to consider one.

That's the thing. The new trend of crossovers aren't SUVs, they're lifted hatchbacks. The SUV is the box with the liftgate, a hatchback is like the Prius and what basically all Teslas (and BMW GT, Mercedes GLA, etc) are. They're not SUVs by any definition except for their slightly higher ride height differentiating them from a sedan. At least the RAV 4 and CRV are still the liftgates. Calling them SUVs is a disservice to real SUVs, but I supposed it sounds cooler than saying "I drive a hatchback." But what do I know, apparently SUVs are really just considered lifted wagons.

I never said anything about door being crushed, I said twisted frame, which is pretty common when a car hits a tree going 75+ MPH.

You are also ignore that car door auto-lock electronically these days. My Moms cheap Hyundai auto locks the doors when you start driving and unlocks them when you put it in park. Do you think they would auto unlock in a crash?

In short you are looking to manufacture a Tesla specific problem. When the real problem is hitting a tree doing 75+MPH, chances are if your doors didn't fly open in the crash they will e stuck, in addition to them probably being auto-locked on most modern cars. But sure the door handles killed him.

Reactions: Sufu
like this
Thats not an suv.. that IS a C A R .. call me the ford expedition sized tesla comes out with 300 miles and $39,000 real americans need full sized vehicles

Thats not an suv.. that IS a C A R .. call me the ford expedition sized tesla comes out with 300 miles and $39,000 real americans need full sized vehicles

20 years ago, you would have a point.

These days anything with a hatch is called an SUV.

Also I don't think Tesla said SUV anywhere, that is just the media.
Edit: I was wrong, I finally watched that Video Elon calls it an SUV.

But my other point stands. Everything with a hatch is an SUV today. Ford, GM and Chrysler have pretty near ended "car" production in favor of "SUVs" to blanket every niche.

Last edited:

I highly doubt you will find an EV with a spare wheel. The extra weight has a hit on range and you need every mile you can get. Use a tire repair kit instead .

I highly doubt you will find an EV with a spare wheel. The extra weight has a hit on range and you need every mile you can get. Use a tire repair kit instead .

Unfortunately spares tires are leaving gas powered cars as well.

That was my point. I have yet to see any EV with a spare tire.
And using a repair kit doesn't always help.
About half the time I've gotten a flat, it's been to close to the sidewall to be repaired.
Flats always seems to happen at the worse time, late on a Sunday night when any repair shop would be close, or when you are going somewhere important that you really don't want to miss.

Unfortunately spares tires are leaving gas powered cars as well.

I believe about 1/3 of cars no longer come with spare tires, and most the people who buy them are surprised the first time they get a flat.
If they want to save weight by not including a spare, at least leave space for one so I can add it as an option.
The problem with most of these cars is just like with electric cars, there is no space for a spare.

I still miss having a full size spare like I did in my 2002 Camry. I only have a compact spare in my current car, but at least that's better than nothing.

That was my point. I have yet to see any EV with a spare tire.
And using a repair kit doesn't always help.
About half the time I've gotten a flat, it's been to close to the sidewall to be repaired.
Flats always seems to happen at the worse time, late on a Sunday night when any repair shop would be close, or when you are going somewhere important that you really don't want to miss.

I believe about 1/3 of cars no longer come with spare tires, and most the people who buy them are surprised the first time they get a flat.
If they want to save weight by not including a spare, at least leave space for one so I can add it as an option.
The problem with most of these cars is just like with electric cars, there is no space for a spare.

I still miss having a full size spare like I did in my 2002 Camry. I only have a compact spare in my current car, but at least that's better than nothing.

I think you can purchase one for the Model S, but you'd never fit a spare in a X or Y. The 3 would take up all the trunk cargo room with a spare in it.

You'd be better off calling Tesla if you had a flat. They have 24/7 road service

Size comparison:
p.gif

Okay, so what you are saying is that the "auto door unlock in the case of an accident" safety feature failed to work? Most cars don't even have that type of system! We can pretend Tesla cars aren't safe because a feature most cars don't have failed to function in one purported instance. That makes a lot of sense.

Okay, so what you are saying is that the "auto door unlock in the case of an accident" safety feature failed to work? Most cars don't even have that type of system! We can pretend Tesla cars aren't safe because a feature most cars don't have failed to function in one purported instance. That makes a lot of sense.

If you can't see the difference between "unlocking a door" and "unlocking a door and extending the handles" so that somebody could actually use the door from the outside, I don't know what to tell you. I would argue that Tesla's are inherently less safe because of this "feature."

If you can't see the difference between "unlocking a door" and "unlocking a door and extending the handles" so that somebody could actually use the door from the outside, I don't know what to tell you. I would argue that Tesla's are inherently less safe because of this "feature."

Point taken and understood, we can agree to disagree...

Back