Tesla Unveils 100 kWh Battery For Model S, Model X Cars

HardOCP News

[H] News
The long rumored 100kWh battery from Tesla is finally here. Obviously this is good news for anyone buying a Tesla with the new, larger battery. This will give you a decent bump in mileage or more juice for Ludicrous Mode.

Electric car maker Tesla Motors Inc will launch a 100 kilowatt hour (kWh) battery for its Model S and Model X cars, Chief Executive Elon Musk said on Tuesday. Musk said in a tweet earlier in the day that Tesla would unveil a new product, sending the company's shares up as much as 2.5 percent.

Stronger, more powerful fires after an accident, awesome!

(Figured I'd just pile on the negativity with the above replies)

Man I hate waiting for my Model 3, Elon will be sitting on my $1000 deposit for another 14 months if I'm lucky enough to get it by then. I hope my 2007 Scion TC with 265,000 miles makes it, Otherwise ill move over to the BMW i3 if I have too. So ill have a Electric car ( Solar on my House ) and a 2012 Challenger RT, I'm covering all spectrums lol.

I never understood why anyone would want to lease a car...

I mean I get it, but I wouldn't ever do it.

Last edited:
The long rumored 100kWh battery from Tesla is finally here. Obviously this is good news for anyone buying a Tesla with the new, larger battery. This will give you a decent bump in mileage or more juice for Ludicrous Mode.

Electric car maker Tesla Motors Inc will launch a 100 kilowatt hour (kWh) battery for its Model S and Model X cars, Chief Executive Elon Musk said on Tuesday. Musk said in a tweet earlier in the day that Tesla would unveil a new product, sending the company's shares up as much as 2.5 percent.

I'm curious if Tesla will later offer a digital unlock to 110 or 120kWh mode on the new, big battery.

Think they are using the same climate control and collision protection which were not exactly full marks on the prior batteries.

I mean I get it, but I wouldn't every do it.

It's the overall economics of constantly having a new(ish) car versus long term ownership of a paid-off one. Leasing a car like a BMW usually carries a tax benefit compared to owning one for many US businesses.

I just realized this article wasn't about their new 2 year lease deal...

I need to get some sleep.

Wonder if it also comes with large flames and more explosive power :p

Unless you are leasing it as a business expense (don't want to tie up too much business cash among other reasons), it doesn't make much value sense.

Some people prefer to drive newer cars, and leasing is easier than buying/selling a new car every couple years.
Still, they pay for the privilege.

I prefer to buy and hold as it's much more cost effective. I buy new, reliable cars and then drive them for 10+ years. Much easier to save when you don't have a car/lease payment.

I read the article looking for the price. Are they throwing in the 100kwh battery for the same price as before, or is it a bump up in price?

I would LOVE to have a Tesla, but the Model S in all of its versions is too expensive, and the Model 3 is too small and too short range.

First world problems

Unless you are leasing it as a business expense (don't want to tie up too much business cash among other reasons), it doesn't make much value sense.

Some people prefer to drive newer cars, and leasing is easier than buying/selling a new car every couple years.
Still, they pay for the privilege.

I did it once when I was younger and less experienced than I am now. Would never do it again. At the turn in they nickel and dime you over every little nick and scratch, even ones that I would consider regular wear and tear. The miles included with a typical lease are wholly inadequate too. I'd need something with 25,000 miles per year to not feel range anxiety all the time. Typical leases (at least the ones in the ads on TV) are for 10k miles per year, or less.

I prefer to buy and hold as it's much more cost effective. I buy new, reliable cars and then drive them for 10+ years. Much easier to save when you don't have a car/lease payment.

I buy 2-3 year old cars still under warranty.

Then I keep them until they hit 100k to 120k miles (usually 3-4 years) and rinse and repeat.

I find that after the low 100k miles, cars often become more trouble than they are worth, costing a lot more in repairs and maintenance.

Bit more of an increase is good, but 400-500 mile range would really hit the sweet spot.

Man I hate waiting for my Model 3, Elon will be sitting on my $1000 deposit for another 14 months if I'm lucky enough to get it by then. I hope my 2007 Scion TC with 265,000 miles makes it, Otherwise ill move over to the BMW i3 if I have too. So ill have a Electric car ( Solar on my House ) and a 2012 Challenger RT, I'm covering all spectrums lol.
I actually gave in and cancelled my reservation choosing instead to get a Ford Edge Sport. This is very likely the end of ICE's for me so it my tribute to something that has put so many smiles on my face. Tesla has shown that EV's can be fast and fun, but they will never have the personality of a powerful ICE engine in a car as you drive down a canyon road with the windows down. EV's can never sing you a song as they simply whirr. Since I will be good for the next 4-5 years, I am hoping that Tesla's rumored wagony crossover based on the Model 3 will be out as I love vehicles in that class.

I'm waiting for the 150kwh. That one should easily go 400 or so miles at 80-85 mph (i.e. highway speeds). After that, I'll either be where I need to go or I'll stop for food and power.

My brother-in-law leases a car. It's cause his company pays for it. They won't buy him a car. Also with how much mileage he puts in a day (anywhere from 100-300 miles), I wouldn't want to own that car for very long.

My brother-in-law leases a car. It's cause his company pays for it. They won't buy him a car. Also with how much mileage he puts in a day (anywhere from 100-300 miles), I wouldn't want to own that car for very long.
Wow. I wonder if they save anything (aside from the early tax write-off). Most leases are only good for 12k/year. He's going to put on roughly 150k (maybe more) in 3 years. I sure wouldn't buy that car for very much. Even if it's a Toyota, it'll need a new engine around 300k.

Wow. I wonder if they save anything (aside from the early tax write-off). Most leases are only good for 12k/year. He's going to put on roughly 150k (maybe more) in 3 years. I sure wouldn't buy that car for very much. Even if it's a Toyota, it'll need a new engine around 300k.

For him, he makes out like a bandit. New car to use every few years, they pay for gas, they pay for insurance, and they pay for car washes. The only downside is he has to buy an American vehicle. Can't be Japanese, European, etc. Also has to be of decent size, since he hauls around parts/equipment.

Tax usually for 'business vehicles'.

Can't wait to see these exploding everywhere all over the news. They should use petrol tankers to extinguish them.

It's really more important that these batteries are getting more robust. I mean, I like the extra mileage and all, but exploding cars are not cool.

And here I am thinking that my 2006 TC with 100,000 miles is too old and has too many miles... If yours made it to 265K then perhaps I'm worrying a bit prematurely. The "maintenance required" light turned on for the first time though :nailbiting:.

It is my secondary car now... but still.

In case anyone cares our 85kW model has been great. No major issues aside from wear/tear repairs. Excellent service. Great commuting car (120km/day) and also good fun for roadtrips provided you plan the charging stops out a wee bit. (Superchargers are a great idear.)

Wish we had the cash to swap out for a 100kW pack so I could get the extra mileage bump but being relatively eco-minded I'll keep what we have until it is dead. 130,000km and still perfect though. Might be awhile.

And here I am thinking that my 2006 TC with 100,000 miles is too old and has too many miles... If yours made it to 265K then perhaps I'm worrying a bit prematurely. The "maintenance required" light turned on for the first time though :nailbiting:.

That's the weird thing I always see. People think the car is at end of life at 100-150k miles. If you're a normal driver, standard maintenance should get you to 250-300k. Probably mechanics giving a bunch of false info to get you to pay for maintenance that you really didn't need.

That's the weird thing I always see. People think the car is at end of life at 100-150k miles. If you're a normal driver, standard maintenance should get you to 250-300k. Probably mechanics giving a bunch of false info to get you to pay for maintenance that you really didn't need.
A lot of people just like getting a new car. I've had mine for close to 20 years. It looks like shit (crappy Toyota paint), but it's still chugging...that said, I'm ordering a new car next month. It's time.

Had to go out and do some errands today with the wife and I swear, I counted about 17 Teslas including 3 of them in a doctor's parking lot where she had an appointment. I live right beside the Supercharger here in downtown Las Vegas so I'm kinda used to seeing them but, this time it's like they were practically everywhere we went. Saw one at a gas station/convenience store (parked at the store itself, not getting gas obviously), saw one a few minutes later going through a Carl's Jr drive through, a few minutes later one at a traffic light, weird.

This full size electric five door has won awards like World Green car of the year and many. Its latest innovation battery is roughly the shape and size as the 90kWh and has improved cooling system. Thus by far the only car to exceed 300 miles of range on a single charge. Most attractive feature is its well designed security architecture. But there were some vulnerabilities like physical access to vehicle, to gain root access to two infotainment systems, the instrument cluster and the touchscreen centre information display. Recently many tests were conducted on it by scientists to check for exploitation through physical access. Studies have shown that, it takes less than 10 seconds for thief to steal a car and even less to loot and leave the scene. Check this out 15 Ways To Prevent A Car Break-In | Calgary Alarm Inc. The research has also proved that they can be remotely accessed. With OTA update , they could fix many vulnerabilities and increase hardening of system as a whole by locking down which can communicate with the gateway and thus CID can withstand browser compromise. Thus hacking is nearly immpossible other than for physical

I have stayed on top of the maintenance!! This year thou I had to replace the coils ( I got a slight misfire, no biggie ) and I had some suspension work. I will most likely be over 300K when my Tesla hits, I love my Scion :) If its still running well I wont sell it when I get my Tesla, The body is in great shape too. Its garage kept and I wax it about 4 times a year, best car ive ever owned.

Back