Tesla Shipping Model X Owners Sunshades

HardOCP News

[H] News
In an attempt to address customer complaints, Tesla is giving Model X owners a removable sunshade to help reduce the amount of sunlight and heat that comes through the SUV's gigantic windshield. I've taken the liberty of posting the instructions from the installation guide below.

Holy shit that is a big ass window... I would never drive a car in the South West with that kind of massive windshield.

I'm surprised they also aren't giving people hooks to hang planters from. Those cars are practically greenhouses.

You would think that for $130k, they could at least use solar reflective glass like the higher end Mercedes and Porsches use.

You would think that for $130k, they could at least use solar reflective glass like the higher end Mercedes and Porsches use.
I think all of the windows are tinted infact where the sunshade goes over it's tinted. That being said some it will never be enough.

There's a reason sunroofs in vehicles typically have a shade to pull closed. I guess tesla never figured that out, so you're supposed to install this hokey mesh thing in a $130k car? Yeah, ok. I actually questioned the windshield in the sun when they first announced it, seemed terrible then, seems terrible now.

In case anyone isn't clear how huge these windshields are...

Tesla-Model-X-windshield.png

hate to replace one of them!!!!

(i put a soccer ball into my silverado windshield on july 4, 2012... yes I remember it well)

Hehe, you'd think they'd figure out maybe have a retractable shade that you could pull down to the rear view mirror instead... there's a big design element "whoops" that got by Tesla.

Now we just wait for consumers to sue Tesla when they incorrectly install the shade and it falls down on someone while their driving causing an accident.

That just seems like poor engineering. Sure, looks good on the showroom floor but after a year of rock chips, bird shit and sunburns that big ass window is a liability.

I agree, that huge window is going to be a magnet for flying highway rocks / debris. Probably $3k to replace it too. I like the idea of a retractable one.

Dude, ejection seats. They should have made it where the dash and steering column moves up and ejects out, pushing the glass out the way. Then the seat leans forward and ejects out with the driver/passenger. It should make it to 1000 ft and then parachute. I think it's doable from a company that is owned by the guy who also owns SpaceX.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Holy crap, didn't know this was a thing. It reminds me of a girl with a big forehead.

A soccer ball!? Geez that thing must have been pumped up to the max.

yes was practicing outside with my kid... u15 travel soccer.. ball got kicked down the street so i ran after it....grabbed it, turned and punted with all my might... well lets say an object going up in the air at about 30 feet high... coming down onto a surface... soccer ball will hit, compress and rebound off.
I dont think the impact did the damage but the rebound force did it. looked like the passenger hit their face into the windshield. didnt take a pic of it.
Glad it didnt hit the cab corners, etc... just center passenger side.

I saw it as I kicked it.. I yelled the ole F word LOUDLY before it even hit.. I knew it... my kinda luck.. LOL

/hijack

As someone who wears glasses. This same design is what keeps me from putting a deposit in on a Model 3.

I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want an electric car. It's like when you see people with electric lawnmowers, dragging the cord behind them along the lawn.

I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want an electric car. It's like when you see people with electric lawnmowers, dragging the cord behind them along the lawn.

im contemplating the chevy bolt come december. I drive 130 miles just to work round trip. used to spend $650 a month driving a truck. now pay $80 in a ....cough... cough... prius...
so unless car payment, insurance and gas is cheaper than the prius i wont be bothering but if it does make sense then im onboard...

plus work has charging stations... already chevy volts and tesla's are using them...

Tesla remade the electric car into a futuristic high-tech, luxury vehicle. That has some cachet with the crowd that can afford them, but their plan is to make the Model T of electric cars, eventually, and I can see them pulling it off. If you could buy a cheap car that runs off of cheap electricity and has better features than fossil-fueled cars in its class, wouldn't you want one?

Back