Tesla Settles Model X Case Over Alleged Design Flaws

HardOCP News

[H] News
This guy doesn't seem too impressed with his Tesla Model X. In fact, he was so upset over the "numerous" quality issues that he sued the company. Tesla settled the lawsuit and the man returned the Model X but, oddly enough, the man still owns a Roadster and a Model S.

It’s unclear how many people are seeking refunds over the Model X. But in the course of reporting on the Lyon case, Fortune obtained examples of other Tesla Model owners expressing frustrations with the process of returning one. Part of this frustration appear to stem from what one owner, who returned a Model X and described Tesla’s request for “an onerous NDA/release” and “information lockdown.”

Wow can the guy cry anymore. He has a Roadster and a Model S and is still unhappy that he needs to sue. F this guy I wish I could have just 1 of the Tesla models. Sounds like this guy has enough money to blow.

Wow can the guy cry anymore. He has a Roadster and a Model S and is still unhappy that he needs to sue. F this guy I wish I could have just 1 of the Tesla models. Sounds like this guy has enough money to blow.

So because someone has a lot of money, they are just supposed to ignore any issues with what they buy? What?

So because someone has a lot of money, they are just supposed to ignore any issues with what they buy? What?
You can get the issues fixed like what I am sure Tesla was doing for the guy. You do not sue a company which in turn raises the prices for everyone else because said company has to recoup the money some how. Half of the time all of these story's are ungrateful ppl looking for away out of something that they should of looked into before you bought what they bought. The Model X was just put out. It is going to have problems. If you want to buy a car or anything in general and be the early adopter, you deal with the problems until they are fixed. If you don't want to deal with the problems, you wait until they are all fixed before you buy. You do not sue a company because you are ungrateful. The reason I said the guy has money is because most ppl that own any Tesla right now, makes more money then the avg person. This is why Tesla making the Model 3. For ppl that can not afford the higher models. If this guy has every model that Tesla has ever made, he has enough money to blow.

Last edited:
If you want to buy a car or anything in general and be the early adopter, you deal with the problems until they are fixed. If you don't want to deal with the problems, you wait until they are all fixed before you buy

This is just wrong. What happened to releasing a quality product free of defects to the best of your ability? Note I am not saying Tesla is in the wrong here, far from it I think they are in the right in this particular case. But your attitude towards this demonstrates a willingness to accept shoddy and rushed worked from companies (not specifically Tesla). Quality has gone downhill, in part, as a result of attitudes like this.

Yes bugs,defects, issues etc happen (especially with first models) but that does not mean you have to tolerate that. You pay for a product that should function as advertised on day one and you should hold companies accountable to that. Not doing so and brushing it off as a "oh well...early adopter" only encourages companies to release products earlier and with more problems (due to lower quality testing etc) because they know they can get away with it. And not every defect gets fixed before the product goes EOL *cough* windows nt *cough*.

When you buy something that doesn't function as advertised and the company doesn't fix the issue to your satisfaction you have EVERY right to sue the company. The court may disagree with you (i.e you lose the suit) but you still have the right to do it and its not "complaining" unless the courts deem it frivolous.

How much money he has, or doesnt have - he may be leveraged seven ways to sunday, is irrelevant to the conversation.

This is just wrong. What happened to releasing a quality product free of defects to the best of your ability? Note I am not saying Tesla is in the wrong here, far from it I think they are in the right in this particular case. But your attitude towards this demonstrates a willingness to accept shoddy and rushed worked from companies (not specifically Tesla). Quality has gone downhill, in part, as a result of attitudes like this.

Yes bugs,defects, issues etc happen (especially with first models) but that does not mean you have to tolerate that. You pay for a product that should function as advertised on day one and you should hold companies accountable to that. Not doing so and brushing it off as a "oh well...early adopter" only encourages companies to release products earlier and with more problems (due to lower quality testing etc) because they know they can get away with it. And not every defect gets fixed before the product goes EOL *cough* windows nt *cough*.

When you buy something that doesn't function as advertised and the company doesn't fix the issue to your satisfaction you have EVERY right to sue the company. The court may disagree with you (i.e you lose the suit) but you still have the right to do it and its not "complaining" unless the courts deem it frivolous.

How much money he has, or doesnt have - he may be leveraged seven ways to sunday, is irrelevant to the conversation.

I get what you saying and I understand completely. I just do not get why half these ppl are bitching as much as they do. This guy owns a Roadster and a Model S and now a Model X. I just wish I could own a S or a X. So ppl that buy these and just bitch about small things piss me off. They act completely entitled when there are ppl that would love to own these cars and wouldn't bitch about it. I understand everything should work when you pay what you pay for these, but these are new types of cars and Tesla seems to be doing there best to make things great for them and the ppl that buy them.

This guy is a fucking drama queen. He could have easily Lemon Law'd it, and had it bought back without making a spectacle.

Okay, so this guy is a very vocal complainer. He bought a 1st MY vehicle with some very unique tech and doors on it. Tesla IS having issues with the Falcon Wing doors. I thought Auto Pilot and Summon were in 'beta'. Auto Park is not in beta.

I don't think those issues make it as a Lemon. What concerns me is the complaint that the Falcon Wing Doors "smash" into things. Did these doors cause damage to his Model X, wife's car or someone else's car/properity which resulted in one or more at fault insurance claims? I certainly wouldn't want to make a claim on my insurance to cover the damages that resulted from opening an automated door within Tesla's specifications (12" or more). That would piss me off.

What makes Auto Pilot (Auto Steer) dangerous in the rain? The technology is in BETA, you must "remain engaged and aware and keep your hands on the wheel." When you engage Auto Pilot, the instrument cluster shows you what it is tracking. You can see if the car is having issues tracking lane markings. If the car can't accurately distingish those markings, it deferrs driving to the engaged and aware driver. The YouTube videos I have watched regarding Auto Pilot all said it was hard (at first) to trust the car and technology, especially when it comes to braking. The original software version would cause the Model S to start braking later than a human would. Unnerving, yes. Dangerous? Not really.

My main concern is if his complaints are hardware or software issues. If they are software-only related, when will the issue be fixed? If the doors are smashing into things while opening, could it also force close itself on someone's leg? If they are hardware related, will Tesla retrofit the updated parts free of charge?

Back