Tesla rumored to be using AMD Gpus in their upcoming cars (Rumor)

Enigma

Gawd
https://electrek.co/2020/11/09/tesla-switch-amd-big-navi-gpu-onboard-computer-leak/

Might be part of the reason we are in a shortage right now. This came across my stock news an hour or so ago. The above link is from last year but can be somewhat confirmed with the following links.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7760...-navi-23-gpu-from-2021-tesla-model/index.html

https://finance.yahoo.com/finance/news/tesla-may-using-amd-gpu-201412762.html

If the above is true I believe AMD's stock is going to get a huge bump here shortly.

Last edited:
Does sorta go along with the focus at TSMC to supply the auto industry with much needed inventory.

um okay? care to elaborate. lol
How does rumored future allocation affect current supply? Rumors don't cause chip shortages. All we have here is a single test vehicle. Maybe in six months you can say this is true but not now. More like Game Console production priority is the issue right now. If we've learned anything about car manufacturers and chips lately it's that they keep zero supply on hand.

I don't think AMD has anything that can compete with Nvidia or any other AI-specialized chip designer. Even Intel has dedicated AI acceleration pathways. AMD is literally the ONLY one of the main chip designers that does not have discrete AI acceleration. It has GPUs that can do AI better than a CPU, butcompared to dedicated AI silicon it might as well be standing still..

I think someone is confused, this thread is about the Tesla Media Center, not AI.
Oh, well that makes more sense. Not a lot of sense, as there aren't a lot of AMD products in automotive but it's certainly something AMD can pull off, as a LOT of ATMs, signage and 'gaming' (poker/slot) machines use AMD embedded solutions which should fit the bill quite well.

If the above is true I believe AMD's stock is going to get a huge bump here shortly.
It might get one, but only because people are morons. Tesla sells like 400,000 cars per year. That's a piddly amount of cheap GPU's with hardly any margin. In contrast, sony is looking to sell upwards of 20 million PS5's this year alone. That's 50x.

It might get one, but only because people are morons. Tesla sells like 400,000 cars per year. That's a piddly amount of cheap GPU's with hardly any margin. In contrast, sony is looking to sell upwards of 20 million PS5's this year alone. That's 50x.

Small correction: they sell close to a million now

Yeah, that's why I was thinking APU, because if they plan on using it in Model 3 entertainment eventually, it would be a cheap single-chip solution.

It does diversify they revenue streams and adds new close partnerships. Telsa likes their work maybe they start using their various semi custom solutions in other places in their organization.

Might be part of the reason we are in a shortage right now.
How can:
Patrick Schur shared a document showing that Tesla was looking to move to AMD’s new Navi 23 chip before removing the document as it could potentially reveal the source:

Could be part of the current shortage ? Could it be advanced enough that they already started to make (or acquire stock to make) Navi 23 already ?

The rumors were about a Xbox Series level of power with 10 tflop and 16 gig of VRAM:
Navi 23 would have access to 4x 2 GB GDDR6 VRAM chips produced by Samsung. Memory speed is set to 14 GT/s and the memory bus is 128-bit wide, which would translate into a total VRAM bandwidth of 224 GB/s, matching the Xbox Series S console in this regard.

Seem to be between the Series S and Series X, to have a gaming console in your cars to play AAA games, you are probably right about the scales, but I am not sure about the cheap GPU part.

The rumors were about a Xbox Series level of power with 10 tflop and 16 gig of VRAM:
Navi 23 would have access to 4x 2 GB GDDR6 VRAM chips produced by Samsung. Memory speed is set to 14 GT/s and the memory bus is 128-bit wide, which would translate into a total VRAM bandwidth of 224 GB/s, matching the Xbox Series S console in this regard.

Seem to be between the Series S and Series X, to have a gaming console in your cars to play AAA games, you are probably right about the scales, but I am not sure about the cheap GPU part.
Sony moves more PS5's in a month than Tesla moves cars in a year. This just confirms that AMD is looking more to corporate partnerships and less towards consumer sales, which isn't a bad market for them, I mean it's kind of a downer but until TSMC finds a way to double its output, AMD is not able to meet demand which is pissing off their AIB's because they build boards for chips that don't exist, which means they are sitting on inventory which just makes them angrier.
Custom hardware for custom devices you have fixed quantities to deliver, no swings in sales, you also don't need to worry about a lot of the incidentals, they handle bios, board design, it becomes as close as a hardware company is going to get to a subscription package which makes it very easy to account for and does wonders to the finances, which is great for the shareholders. And once you are in it becomes painful to move away, Sony and Microsoft are basically AMD locked now changing to a radical new setup from somebody else would basically kill a lot of their online and subscription services, and greatly increase development costs for studios so they are less inclined to want to do that. The Tesla deal would probably be another custom chip job, so AMD doesn't have to worry about BIOS or drivers, or any of that they just sell them some chips, and then it's mostly hands-off from there, and once its in and their software is written I doubt they are going to want to change and rewrite the whole thing and support multiple versions so its basically a 10-year deal.. That leaves them the Server/HEDT markets which is just huge markups and a much smaller support scope so the profits there are very nice. Lisa and the Board are probably loving this possibility.

Last edited:
I know Elon Musk plays video games like CyberPunk as he's been tweeting about it. I think he wants people to be able to play games while the car drives itself. Long car rides are boring and having something to entertain you would be nice. Wouldn't shock me if AMD was selling the same APU to Tesla that they sell to Sony. They've reused console hardware before.

I know Elon Musk plays video games like CyberPunk as he's been tweeting about it. I think he wants people to be able to play games while the car drives itself.
Well that isn't possible right now. The most boring part of long road trips is the 30 minute charge times. I see a future where Buc-ees are everywhere due to the time spent charging. (google it if you don't know)

Well that isn't possible right now. The most boring part of long road trips is the 30 minute charge times. I see a future where Buc-ees are everywhere due to the time spent charging. (google it if you don't know)
Plus, even if it is an APU, wouldn't trying to run a game while on a long ride just shorten the range pretty drastically?

Tesla can't produce cars if they can't get chips to run their code that runs them......if they are looking to AMD its just to possibly have a second pathway to get their car production numbers up or maintain that velocity.......can't get their normal chipset, here's the alternate chipset that can be installed.......if Chevy can't get transmissions from Vendor A, they have Vendor B produce them, etc.

Plus, even if it is an APU, wouldn't trying to run a game while on a long ride just shorten the range pretty drastically?
They could add one additional cell to the battery and give it something like a 12h run time with it, the batteries in those cars are massive, the power used by the infotainment system is statistically insignificant.

Tesla uses ARM as it's low power and cheap.

Tesla, like other car manufacturers, offer bonus packages for those who can afford. So perhaps they offer a mid-range game capable media center as an option. Won't be that huge number of customers that buy it. It hasn't and won't make much impact on AMD supply even if Tesla does buy some there.

You're kiddng - right?

Not kidding at all.

Do you have any concept of how huuuuuge my teslas battery is?

It doesn't matter how big your teslas battery is, your range is finite and any substantial drain on those batteries will affect range. Long drives while gaming even on an APU will limit the range. This is easy to prove, try gaming on your low powered phone and compare gaming and no gaming, same amount of time, we should all know by now that the battery takes a substantial hit. And before you try to compare a phone battery to a tesla battery, don't, three example is just proof of concept that gaming even on a low power chip will drain batteries. This should be obvious.

They could add one additional cell to the battery and give it something like a 12h run time with it, the batteries in those cars are massive, the power used by the infotainment system is statistically insignificant.

Out of all the replies I got, this one is the only one I actually found enjoyable, thank you.

A Tesla take around 150 watt hour by km (around 640 km on a 100 kwh battery, that about 1,000 laptop big battery, 1,350 average one)

A laptop using 100 watt an hours is a lot (the kind of rate that can empty a laptop battery in one hours or less), if you play a game for 3 hours you would lose about 3 km.

three example is just proof of concept that gaming even on a low power chip will drain batteries. This should be obvious.
Yes this is trivial, the part of the sentence people disagreed with was that it would be a drastic reduction in range, not that it would have some effect.

Currently the Tesla infotainment system runs Intel Atom E8000 series CPU.

They phased out the Tegra system years ago.

The new Model S and X are currently in production and if the rumor is true can be partly to blame for the shortages.

Power consumption from playing games is irrelevant compared to actually driving the car.

Back