cageymaru

Fully [H]
The Tesla Model X has become the first SUV to receive a perfect safety rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA.) SUVs are generally safer than cars due to their increased size, but a higher center of gravity causes the vehicles to rollover during tight maneuvering situations or a side impact accident. According to statistics, "rollovers happened in 1% of serious crashes in passenger vehicles but accounted for one-third of collision-related deaths." The Tesla Model X was designed to have a lower center of gravity due to its large battery pack located in the floor of the vehicle. This design choice, along with the larger front crumple zone, allowed the vehicle to receive a perfect rating from the NHTSA.

In other Tesla news, Dog Mode has been enabled on Tesla vehicles. This displays a message on the screen in Tesla vehicles that shows the temperature of the car for passersby to know that they don't need to worry about the animals in the vehicle. Tesla also added a Sentry Mode to their cars. When customers enable Sentry Mode, the electric vehicle constantly monitors its environment from a "Standby" state like a home security system works. When the vehicle detects a break-in in progress, it will start recording the event with its cameras, sound the car alarm, blast loud music through the stereo system, and warn the owners of the incident via the Tesla mobile app on their phones. Video of the incident can be downloaded to a USB drive.

If a minimal threat is detected, such as someone leaning on a car, Sentry Mode switches to an "Alert" state and displays a message on the touchscreen warning that its cameras are recording. If a more severe threat is detected, such as someone breaking a window, Sentry Mode switches to an "Alarm" state, which activates the car alarm, increases the brightness of the center display, and plays music at maximum volume from the car's audio system. If a car switches to "Alarm" state, owners will also receive an alert from their Tesla mobile app notifying them that an incident has occurred. They'll be able to download a video recording of an incident (which begins 10 minutes prior to the time a threat was detected) by inserting a formatted USB drive into their car before they enable Sentry Mode.

Some cool charts. What the heck is up with the Jeep Wrangler though? Did they design it to be driven upside down? Lol.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/02/1...erfect-rollover-safety-rating-1st-for-an-suv/
“2% of crashes involve a rollover, but they cause 35% of deaths.” Also, “Tesla Model S achieves a record low 5.7% rollover likelihood in a single-vehicle crash, and Tesla Model X achieves the best rating among comparable SUVs.”
Tesla-Model-X-Safety-Rollover-Risk.png

Jeep Wranglers have a tall suspension for offroading, so it is no surprise that it has a high rollover risk. The Model X is barely an SUV, it's more like a slightly taller hatchback with a small lift.

a fair point. the Model X is a big city car, thats it.

Also to be fair, a nicely optioned Model X is ~$60-90k more expensive than every other car on this list.

Also to be fair, a nicely optioned Model X is ~$60-90k more expensive than every other car on this list.
Probably doesn't look as good compared to the equivalent luxury vehicles it should be classed against.

It's a design option not open to ICE vehicles. Not sure it's an accomplishment of teslas as much as EVs.

Jeep Wranglers have a tall suspension for offroading, so it is no surprise that it has a high rollover risk. The Model X is barely an SUV, it's more like a slightly taller hatchback with a small lift.

This. I wonder how much a 4" lift and 37's adds to the rollover factor because it's not often that you see Wranglers in factory form haha.

What a weird mashup of vehicles to compare though. A Subaru Outback, Tesla Model X, and Jeep Wrangler all in the same category?

Some cool charts. What the heck is up with the Jeep Wrangler though? Did they design it to be driven upside down? Lol.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/02/1...erfect-rollover-safety-rating-1st-for-an-suv/

View attachment 141814
Yeah, the X has a lot less ground clearance. I drove home last week after an all day snow and had to drive 150 feet through 8" of snow to get from the road and into my garage. Good thing I was driving my Jeep and one of those pretend SUVs like the Model X, otherwise I would have gotten stuck halfway (if that far). If my Renegade gets t-boned hard enough to flip it over, I've got much bigger problems to worry about.

When are they going to add a high voltage taser to the alarm mode?
Then the door could automatically open, the seat could tilt and dump them on the ground outside the car. :D

Yeah, the X has a lot less ground clearance. I drove home last week after an all day snow and had to drive 150 feet through 8" of snow to get from the road and into my garage. Good thing I was driving my Jeep and one of those pretend SUVs like the Model X, otherwise I would have gotten stuck halfway (if that far). If my Renegade gets t-boned hard enough to flip it over, I've got much bigger problems to worry about.

The pretend SUV has greater traction than anything you have ever experienced in a Jeep Renegade that’s for sure lol. Tesla’s AWD and traction control are ridiculously good compared to all ICE vehicles and its mammoth weight helps in this regard with snow. Appropriate tire disclaimer and all.

I mean, a Renegade is a rental car FWD based platform. I had one from Avis last year. It is definitely a crappy crossover if there was one. Let’s not pretend you’re in some kind of body on frame tank with locking diffs.

IIRC Model X has adjustable air suspension and multiple ride heights. At it's higest it has over 8 inches of ground clearance. 8 inches of snow wouldn't be a problem.

Also it isn't just getting t-boned that will flip a Jeep. One of my co-workers hit a patch of ice, Wrangler went a little sideways, hit pave again and went for a roll.

Precisely - the majority of 'SUVs' on the road today are really just 'crossovers' - slightly jacked up cars with rufty-tufty cladding possibly around the lower bits - a lot aren't even AWD/4WD. The Wrangler, for what it's designed for, HAS to have a higher centre of gravity to do what it is required to do.

Dog mode? Fucking stupid. If I leave my dog in the car thats MY decision not for any fucktard walking by to second guess.

GL telling that to animal control after they've broken your car's window and taken your dog into custody. I have seen this happen and depending on where you live, it will happen if you do it on hot days.

With the wimpy all season tires they come with? I wouldn't try it.

... WTH buys a Tesla and doesn't have the money to upgrade the tires if they're in snowy climates?

TBH though, the tires that came on my Model 3 have been more than enough for heavy downpours and the (again) weak winter so far in Colorado. We finally had a good snow last week and I took the M3 for a spin in the morning after we had some melting and freezing (for slick conditions in the neighborhood). I tried a few times to get it to fishtail and while i could feel some slippage i never lost traction (my M3 is RWD, not AWD). Took an Explorer (neighbor's car) w/ 4wd... back tires slipped and slid (never pushed for a full loss of control as this was in a neighborhood). M3 wins out on snow/icy roads hands down at low speeds at least (<25 mph).

Last edited:
... WTH buys a Tesla and doesn't have the money to upgrade the tires if they're in snowy climates?

TBH though, the tires that came on my Model 3 have been more than enough for heavy downpours and the (again) weak winter so far in Colorado. We finally had a good snow last week and I took the M3 for a spin in the morning after we had some melting and freezing (for slick conditions in the neighborhood). I tried a few times to get it to fishtail and while i could feel some slippage i never lost traction (my M3 is RWD, not AWD). Took an Explorer (neighbor's car) w/ 4wd... back tires slipped and slid (never pushed for a full loss of control as this was in a neighborhood). M3 wins out on snow/icy roads hands down at low speeds at least (<25 mph).

Yes, the electric drive allows for very fast control loops and better control of wheel spin, even compared to an ICE with AWD including torque vectoring and electronically controlled multi-plate clutch type differentials like a Nissan GT-R or the new BMW M5.

Most crossover and passenger car AWD systems are a joke. There are some hilarious videos of what a Honda CRV does when you lift one wheel or axle off the ground. These systems are glorified FWD. Which is fine for most people, but they get this sense they are driving something with real capabilities.

Only thing that bugs me is Model 3 owners calling it an M3 all the time. There’s been a car called an M3 for 30 years already.

I will say though, Tesla’s supreme traction control might actually build false confidence. It’ll get moving with less drama, but braking isn’t any different than any other car.

[QUOTE="yobbo7]Only thing that bugs me is Model 3 owners calling it an M3 all the time. There’s been a car called an M3 for 30 years already.[/QUOTE]

I make sure to only use M3 shorthand after putting into context that it's the Model 3. And let's be honest, BMW is old news, nothing new, nothing exciting.

I'd rather the BMW version over the overpriced, compact car version.

Dog mode? Fucking stupid. If I leave my dog in the car thats MY decision not for any fucktard walking by to second guess.

Sorry, but dogs die all the time from being left in hot vehicles. If a passerby notices that it's scorching hot outside and your dog looks like it's unresponsive in the back seat, your the fucktard for leaving it there, and getting a broken window when someone with a brain saves it.

GL telling that to animal control after they've broken your car's window and taken your dog into custody. I have seen this happen and depending on where you live, it will happen if you do it on hot days.

Happened before. I sued them and won. Wife (gf at the time) was in it (asleep), dog was in the back seat while I was in Cabelas. Some idiot reported us and the police broke the window. Said cop no longer has his job courtesy of me and said individual was sued and lost. Judge told him the same thing I did: mind your own fucking business.

People need to keep out of other peoples business.

Sorry, but dogs die all the time from being left in hot vehicles. If a passerby notices that it's scorching hot outside and your dog looks like it's unresponsive in the back seat, your the fucktard for leaving it there, and getting a broken window when someone with a brain saves it.

Did I say I was going to be a fucktard and kill the dog? No. But its none of your fucking business either way now is it? I leave the AC on...just because youre too dumb to tell thats not my problem. Mind your own business.

Happened before. I sued them and won. Wife (gf at the time) was in it (asleep), dog was in the back seat while I was in Cabelas. Some idiot reported us and the police broke the window. Said cop no longer has his job courtesy of me and said individual was sued and lost. Judge told him the same thing I did: mind your own fucking business.

People need to keep out of other peoples business.

Did I say I was going to be a fucktard and kill the dog? No. But its none of your fucking business either way now is it? I leave the AC on...just because youre too dumb to tell thats not my problem. Mind your own business.

I don't really care one way or the other about your dog, but you seriously got a person fired over breaking your window? Worst case, they pay for the damages. And you wonder why people in this thread are telling you to go fuck yourself. There's no reason to mess with a person's livelihood. They have to eat too.

I don't really care one way or the other about your dog, but you seriously got a person fired over breaking your window? Worst case, they pay for the damages. And you wonder why people in this thread are telling you to go fuck yourself.

Yes I did but I kept it short because its somewhat off topic. But one more on that just to clear things up some: That shattered window showered her and my dog with glass cutting both of them. Enough we had to take the dog to the ER. So yes I got that fucker fired for nearly killing my dog and injuring her. It was a gross act of negligence when all he had to do was knock on the window to wake her up. But no he had to go all gung ho and smash a window trying to look like a hero to the fucktard that stuck his nose into someone elses business. Never mind the fact that nobody was in any danger at all.

For the record at first I only demanded he be officially reprimanded and retrained but the station refused to even apologize. So I got a lawyer and we found out that he had a history of over reacting I changed my approach to demanding his termination and sued him, the department, and the idiot who called them. In exchange for dropping the suit against the department and them fixing the window he got fired (we settled). The asshole that called the cops in the first place got nailed by the judge for punitive damages (not a lot but enough to make it hurt) when he got the full story including testimony from my wife and other people in the parking lot who knew me and where I was.

Yes I did but I kept it short because its somewhat off topic. But one more on that just to clear things up some: That shattered window showered her and my dog with glass cutting both of them. Enough we had to take the dog to the ER. So yes I got that fucker fired for nearly killing my dog and injuring her. It was a gross act of negligence when all he had to do was knock on the window to wake her up. But no he had to go all gung ho and smash a window trying to look like a hero to the fucktard that stuck his nose into someone elses business. Never mind the fact that nobody was in any danger at all.

For the record at first I only demanded he be officially reprimanded and retrained but the station refused to even apologize. So I got a lawyer and we found out that he had a history of over reacting I changed my approach to demanding his termination and sued him, the department, and the idiot who called them. In exchange for dropping the suit against the department and them fixing the window he got fired (we settled). The asshole that called the cops in the first place got nailed by the judge for punitive damages (not a lot but enough to make it hurt) when he got the full story including testimony from my wife and other people in the parking lot who knew me and where I was.

You do realize that the guy probably made a hasty decision based on what the bystander told him, and at the time, and absent other witnesses, did what he thought was reasonable to save your god damn dog. All your "trying to look like a hero" talk is just you projecting on him. At the end of the day, what was his motivation? Trying to save your dog (e.g. trying to do the right thing). Sure, you can sue the department if you really want and make them pay damages, but shoving it up his ass? I hope you are afforded a little more compassion the next time YOU make a wrong decision at work, nothing like what you showed to others.

Last edited:
You do realize that the guy probably made a hasty decision based on what the bystander told him, and at the time, and absent other witnesses, did what he thought was reasonable to save your god damn dog. All your "trying to look like a hero" talk is just you projecting on him. At the end of the day, what was his motivation? Trying to save your dog (e.g. trying to do the right thing). Sure, you can sue the department if you really want and make them pay damages, but shoving it up his ass? I hope you are afforded a little more compassion the next time YOU make a wrong decision at work rather than what you showed to others.

I certainly hope not since I could get people killed if I was hasty. You didn't read the part where I said he showed a history of negligence in decision making...

I certainly hope not since I could get people killed if I was hasty. You didn't read the part where I said he showed a history of negligence in decision making...

I read that. I still think you're wrong. He didn't just go up and smash your window on his own. Someone came up to him asking for help (who it turned out later was the real problem providing wrong information). I get it. It's unfortunate and very inconvenient. But there was no lasting damage after your dog healed. A complete over reaction on your part afterwards.

Karma's a bitch as they say...just saying...

/thread

I read that. I still think you're wrong. He didn't just go up and smash your window on his own. Someone came up to him asking for help (who it turned out later was the real problem providing wrong information).
Well, as long as he was asked to be retarded, it's ok.

Yes I did but I kept it short because its somewhat off topic. But one more on that just to clear things up some: That shattered window showered her and my dog with glass cutting both of them. Enough we had to take the dog to the ER. So yes I got that fucker fired for nearly killing my dog and injuring her.

Thank you for the additional context. I thought it goes without saying that a person would check the car out prior to breaking glass. If a person is in the car with the dog, clearly there isn't an issue. Breaking the glass as a first step without making noise or rocking the vehicle is plain nuts.

and so, everyone else will start bad-mouthing Elon once again about something or other (BTW he laughs when you do that)

Back