Tesla Model S versus Brick Wall: Drunk Joyride Ends in Crash

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Having stolen his father’s Model S and engaging in a police chase, one Netherlands teen inadvertently crash tested the vehicle’s front crumple zone after he drove into a house and destroyed a large portion of its brick walling. Fortunately, no one was in the room when the car went through.

From an engineering standpoint, it again looks like a good example of the Model S’ large crumple at the front, thanks to the lack of an engine, reducing the force of the impact on the cabin. The Model S is a heavy car at ~4,500 to ~5,000 lbs depending on the configuration and therefore, it was fairly certain that it was going to go through that wall – especially if they were indeed going at over 90 mph (~150 km/h). But despite the severity of the impact, the damages appear to be limited to the crumple zone and windshield.

Looks like he burned off most of his speed before the impact... Definitely not 90 mph at impact.

Someone has some explaining to do!

At least the Neatherlands seem to have a more reasonable attitude about impaired driving. In many US states, he would have received a ticket, and maybe got a few points on his still valid license if convicted. They should also revoke his rights to use mind altering substances since he demonstrated he can't be trusted with them.

Looks like he burned off most of his speed before the impact... Definitely not 90 mph at impact.

Wonder if autobrake did its best to deal with a large immovable obstacle and reduced braking on grass?

Three of the four people in the Model S were hospitalized, but reportedly without serious injury. The driver was arrested and his license has been revoked.
But despite the severity of the impact, the damages appear to be limited to the crumple zone and windshield.

Dang, surprised it wasn't more serious, I guess everyone involved was pretty lucky, especially the occupants of that home.

Don't drink and drive kids.

So much for its crash prevention, it seems if you press the accelerator it cancels autonomous braking... real smart tesla.

So much for its crash prevention, it seems if you press the accelerator it cancels autonomous braking... real smart tesla.

Well, that is a matter of opinion.

IMHO, a driver should be able to override the automated gizmos, as they won't always be right. Can you imagine how annoying it would be if autobrake kept stopping you for some silly reason, and you couldn't override it?

Most autobrake systems from all vendors kick in at the point where it is already too late to prevent the accident. Their job is to minimize the damage, not to nanny you into slowing down when it thinks is appropriate.

Having stolen his father’s Model S and engaging in a police chase, one Netherlands teen inadvertently crash tested the vehicle’s front crumple zone after he drove into a house and destroyed a large portion of its brick walling. Fortunately, no one was in the room when the car went through.

From an engineering standpoint, it again looks like a good example of the Model S’ large crumple at the front, thanks to the lack of an engine, reducing the force of the impact on the cabin. The Model S is a heavy car at ~4,500 to ~5,000 lbs depending on the configuration and therefore, it was fairly certain that it was going to go through that wall – especially if they were indeed going at over 90 mph (~150 km/h). But despite the severity of the impact, the damages appear to be limited to the crumple zone and windshield.

Guess "Consumers report" was correct in giving the "S" its top score. So high that they needed to change how all future tests are scored. When a car makes you re evaluate how you do tests its something of a game changer:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox...er_reports_ratings_scores_103_out_of_100.html.

Wonder how the "3" would have done in a similar real life test?

What if you're accelerating to pass a car before reaching a car in front of you, would you want autobraking to kick in at the moment you're about to execute a lane change? Of course, such behavior is sketchy, but is a common enough occurance.

- Pfew, autonomous cars, I want to be in control all the time!!!!
- Pfew, why didn't it brake automatically despite the driver telling it the opposite!

Make up your minds already!

- Pfew, autonomous cars, I want to be in control all the time!!!!
- Pfew, why didn't it brake automatically despite the driver telling it the opposite!

Make up your minds already!

As long as there is a human in the seat, its really assisted driving. Autonomous - even though the phrase has been thrown around a while since the Tesla S had a variation of autonomy , doesn't exist fully today. Should be called, as tesla somewhat does, driver assist and autopilot. Autopilot is used in highway driving scenarios. Nobody researching eventual autonomy has a algorithm competent enough to handle NYC traffic, or Los Angeles rush hour. Total self driving. Just nice long stretches of asphalt at a nice constant 55mph.

Folks want it to be more than it is, as long as there is a human in the drivers seat he is responsible for the cars actions.

What if you're accelerating to pass a car before reaching a car in front of you, would you want autobraking to kick in at the moment you're about to execute a lane change? Of course, such behavior is sketchy, but is a common enough occurance.
I can think of a few situations if I had use just braking as my defense, the accident would have happened.

As long as there is a human in the seat, its really assisted driving. Autonomous - even though the phrase has been thrown around a while since the Tesla S had a variation of autonomy , doesn't exist fully today. Should be called, as tesla somewhat does, driver assist and autopilot. Autopilot is used in highway driving scenarios. Nobody researching eventual autonomy has a algorithm competent enough to handle NYC traffic, or Los Angeles rush hour. Total self driving. Just nice long stretches of asphalt at a nice constant 55mph.

Folks want it to be more than it is, as long as there is a human in the drivers seat he is responsible for the cars actions.
Nobody has it on the market. But they are far ahead in testing such systems. I predict the first of such systems will hit the market within 5 years unless lawmakers actively block it. Which would be a stupid move, but I don't put it past them, lawmakers are no more clever than regular people. And usually don't choose what's best for the people, but what's best for keeping their seats.

Folks don't even want to hear about it, because they think it somehow takes away their freedom. On the contrary it gives you back your freedom to do whatever you want instead wasting your time in traffic,

Nobody has it on the market. But they are far ahead in testing such systems. I predict the first of such systems will hit the market within 5 years unless lawmakers actively block it. Which would be a stupid move, but I don't put it past them, lawmakers are no more clever than regular people. And usually don't choose what's best for the people, but what's best for keeping their seats.

Folks don't even want to hear about it, because they think it somehow takes away their freedom. On the contrary it gives you back your freedom to do whatever you want instead wasting your time in traffic,

....and I wouldnt be suprised if there is a Nvidia gpu running the AI.

{Boasting} My gpu runs all my games at 300 fps. Well "my" gpu drives real cars :D

Back