Tesla Model 3 Gets a 5 Star Crash Safety Rating

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Even though Tesla gets some flak for self driving incidents and battery fires, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration seems to think their cars are safe. The Model 3 just got a 5 star crash safety rating in every single category, just like the Model S and Model X.

Check out a video of the frontal crash test here.

Lets see how long until the haters show up....my guess less an than hour.

Lets see how long until the haters show up....my guess less an than hour.

Like, an hour exactly! Good guess...

They'll need a 5-star crash rating for all the "Autopilot" crashes.

Let's see, rushed manufacturing, causing heavy flaw reworking and an immature, insomniac CEO strung out on a cocktail of Ambien, alcohol, weed and acid... what could possibly go wrong?

Wow, what a stretch. So immature with his multiple companies that are changing the world for the better than you could even dream of doing.

Epitome of ignorant. SpaceX? Tesla? They've done nothing?

OK buddy.

global warming still
moonbase not complete
tunnels not built

You said they were changing the world... not really bro. Fortnite has had a bigger impact than TSLA/SpaceX in the 2018.

global warming still
moonbase not complete
tunnels not built

You said they were changing the world... not really bro. Fortnite has had a bigger impact than TSLA/SpaceX in the 2018.
You've got it all wrong... the man invented space flight, the electric car, flame throwers, and a watertight child coffin! He isn't just some guy who's good at producing hype, he's changing the world!

They'll need a 5-star crash rating for all the "Autopilot" crashes.

Let's see, rushed manufacturing, causing heavy flaw reworking and an immature, insomniac CEO strung out on a cocktail of Ambien, alcohol, weed and acid... what could possibly go wrong?

Can you prove all this or you just hate musk? Dude my coworkers friend had an accident with Model S, he said he would not have survived that crash in any other car. The guy was fine. People act like normal car hasn't ever gotten on fire after an accident and some how this shit is exclusive to tesla. Man smoked a Blunt and people lose their shit. He did ask if it was legal though thee, didn't he? Yea he did lol!

OMG he smoked a blunt. Let me know when you work as had as he did to get model 3 production up, sleeping in the warehouse and sometimes sleeping under his desk and shit. The guy doesn't act like he is better than anyone. Clearly the guy is over worked but he treats this company like its his job and he is willing to give it anything. I have smoked a blunt after a stressful week, what a biggie. OMG weed is bad for you but I will pop prescription painkillers because my doctor said so! I'll smoke a blunt over prescription meds any day. Drug companies can suck it!

You've got it all wrong... the man invented space flight, the electric car, flame throwers, and a watertight child coffin! He isn't just some guy who's good at producing hype, he's changing the world!

I kinda think he was joking in a way. Since Fortnite did rip off kids and split families up and cause like alot of divorces as well. So they did change the world in a way. Not necessarily better, they found a way to make billions from families and kids! lol

If he wasn't I truly have no idea how one compares tesla and space x to fortnite. It's like the polar opposite lol.

Last edited:
Small sedans usually do fairly well in crash testing, it's out in the real world of CUV and giant trucks that th ey are often out matched physics wise. Happy to see it didn't explode into a fire.

Like, an hour exactly! Good guess...

Wow, what a stretch. So immature with his multiple companies that are changing the world for the better than you could even dream of doing.

How has any of his companies changed the world?

It's great that they have good crash safety, as any modern car should have.

Damaged li-ion batteries remains a concern as they are prone to thermal runoff and fires can start hours/days after an accident. It is a though problem for any manufacturer of EV.

It's all relative, about 1 in 1000 ICE vehicles catch fire every year, for Tesla to match that average it would need to have hundreds of fires by now. I think it's just an issue with media having no need to cover ICE fires in a sensational fashion because it's simply really really old news, like a century old, so nobody really cares, it's normal.

U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated average of 229,500 vehicle fires per year in 2007-2011. These fires caused an average of 328 civilian fire deaths, 1,426 civilian fire injuries and $1.4 billion dollars in direct property damage per year

80d1333e32f71ea3ad7dc6682e2296493baab153b135b34aca548c1b574dabe7.jpg

ICE-Car-Fires.png

EVs are the latest and greatest gadget, so every detail can cause great fanfare or hysteria, that's just human nature.

Last edited:
There's an entire generation of people that simply bought Volvos because of their safety records. Once electronic charging becomes an afterthought, this is just another checkbox for Tesla being the no-brainer vehicle to buy (if you have the financial merit).

There's an entire generation of people that simply bought Volvos because of their safety records. Once electronic charging becomes an afterthought, this is just another checkbox for Tesla being the no-brainer vehicle to buy (if you have the financial merit).
Not really... And on all counts - the Ford Escape gets a 5 star rating from the NHTSA as well, but go ahead and look at the IIHS front overlap crash tests... And they haven't tested the Tesla for that yet.

And by the time electric charging is an afterthought the "real" car brands will have entered the market and (assuming they don't get a real designer) Tesla will be lucky to still exist. Have you ever seen the interior of a model S? Yes it's stupid fast (at least the one I got taken for a ride in was) but damn, that interior makes a Camry look down right luxurious. Even if it were a 30k-40k car I'd pass, and at the current price it's laughable. Electric vehicles might well be the future, but the 60k+ winners will still be audi / porsche / lexus / bmw (other than that i3 travesty, wtf were they thinking?!)

yup my family was one of those.. pretty much always had volvo's.. the cars were ugly and like the vast majority of euro cars sold in the US had tons of electrical problems but the media said they were safest cars in the world so my parents kept on buying them.

Not really... And on all counts - the Ford Escape gets a 5 star rating from the NHTSA as well, but go ahead and look at the IIHS front overlap crash tests... And they haven't tested the Tesla for that yet.

And by the time electric charging is an afterthought the "real" car brands will have entered the market and (assuming they don't get a real designer) Tesla will be lucky to still exist. Have you ever seen the interior of a model S? Yes it's stupid fast (at least the one I got taken for a ride in was) but damn, that interior makes a Camry look down right luxurious. Even if it were a 30k-40k car I'd pass, and at the current price it's laughable. Electric vehicles might well be the future, but the 60k+ winners will still be audi / porsche / lexus / bmw (other than that i3 travesty, wtf were they thinking?!)

if you ever watch the interview he did a while back that was pretty much his plan with tesla from the beginning was to try to make EV's main stream and to get all the major manufactures to do the same thing. it was never his intention to be the only option. i'd say in the last 2-3 years he's done a pretty good job at getting the major brands to think seriously about EV's and not just releasing gimmick cars for an easy buck.

You said they(companies) were changing the world

Get called out

Now you have rephrased your argument that they cannot do it alone? Which is it.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ad-hominem

I didn't get called out on shit and if you can't see how SpaceX and Tesla have and will change the world I don't know what to tell you.

You people and your hatred of Musk driving you towards making dumb as shit comments.

why is this even news? all cars should be 5 star or better.

I think all cars should be "or better"
Should that make the news?

Obviously all cars don't score the highest rating on crash tests, hence news on which ones do.

How has any of his companies changed the world?

SpaceX helped usher in an age of private space exploration, taking a crazy risk and inventing a rocket that lands back on Earth--the type of innovation that NASA likely never would have tried or been able to justify to the public. Nearly every car maker is now dipping their toe into the EV market, and in some cases much more than just a toe. It's likely that Tesla will be remembered as mainstreaming the electronic evolution of the automobile propulsion market.

Both are fairly noteworthy changes to the world, I'd say.

SpaceX helped usher in an age of private space exploration, taking a crazy risk and inventing a rocket that lands back on Earth--the type of innovation that NASA likely never would have tried or been able to justify to the public. Nearly every car maker is now dipping their toe into the EV market, and in some cases much more than just a toe. It's likely that Tesla will be remembered as mainstreaming the electronic evolution of the automobile propulsion market.

Both are fairly noteworthy changes to the world, I'd say.
Space X isnt the first to try and develop a reusable rocket, previous attempts were shelved. Though that is kind of a moot point since space x hasnt ushered in anything yet since last time I checked they are still developing their rockets.

Electric cars have been around for a hundred years, Tesla is just the first to be a dedicated electric car company, and for good reason considering they cant seem to turn a profit.

It's all relative, about 1 in 1000 ICE vehicles catch fire every year, for Tesla to match that average it would need to have hundreds of fires by now. I think it's just an issue with media having no need to cover ICE fires in a sensational fashion because it's simply really really old news, like a century old, so nobody really cares, it's normal.

Most ICE vehicles that catch fire are older and/or poorly maintained.
A more accurate comparison would be a comparison of what percentage of ICE vehicles sold in the past few years and what percentage of Tesla's caught fire.

Maybe my family has been lucky, or maybe it's because we maintain our cars and don't buy unreliable cars. (Fires are usually cause by oil or gas leaks)
Most of us have been driving for 35+ years, including having kids that now drive, yet we have never had any car we own catch fire.

Space X isnt the first to try and develop a reusable rocket, previous attempts were shelved. Though that is kind of a moot point since space x hasnt ushered in anything yet since last time I checked they are still developing their rockets.

Electric cars have been around for a hundred years, Tesla is just the first to be a dedicated electric car company, and for good reason considering they cant seem to turn a profit.
They might not be the first company to attempt a reusable rocket, but they are definitely the first to succeed in a big way. They are resupplying the international space station, and have done dozens of launches now. You should check again--they are up and running and doing regular runs to the ISS and also launching other commercial sattelites. They are well past the development stage, at least for their first few rocket product offerings.

Hard to know if Tesla will be profitable in the long run. Even if they aren't, the original question was whether Elon's companies had changed the world--there seems little doubt that a new wave of electric vehicles is on it's way. These may not fully replace ICE vehicles any time soon, but change takes time and Tesla was the company that sparked this change in earnest. We'll easily look back at these two companies in the future and recognize these achievments; you're watching history unfold right in front of your eyes. +1 to America entrepreneurialism for mankind, yet again!

Epitome of ignorant. SpaceX? Tesla? They've done nothing?

OK buddy.
To be fair I don't think anyone hate SpaceX, they operate in a controlled environment. Elon Musk as an Individual and Tesla are a whole different story. It is safe to predict that an impulsive immature CEO and rushing manufacturing on widely adopted heavy machinery can create some critics. You don't play with those two responsibilities.

It is bulllshit that Telsa is allowed to make cars that have any issues. No other car maker has ever had to recall any part of their car for any mechanical issu…. wait.... Ford has a recall on some stuff right now... sorry where was I.... Telsa makes unsafe … you know what fuck Telsa because I can't buy one and am jealous.

It is bulllshit that Telsa is allowed to make cars that have any issues. No other car maker has ever had to recall any part of their car for any mechanical issu…. wait.... Ford has a recall on some stuff right now... sorry where was I.... Telsa makes unsafe … you know what fuck Telsa because I can't buy one and am jealous.

I could buy 10 or 20. Doesn't change the fact that the company might not exist in 3 years.

I could buy 10 or 20. Doesn't change the fact that the company might not exist in 3 years.

And you might get hit tomorrow by a rouge bus and die and not be around in 3 years either. What does that have to do with the quality of their cars?

And you might get hit tomorrow by a rouge bus and die and not be around in 3 years either. What does that have to do with the quality of their cars?

i'm having real trouble trying to follow your statements. You said the anti-tesla people are just jealous because they cant afford one. I said i certainly can afford one, and then tried to present you a specific time frame for the company collapse related to cash flow problems.

I've never said anything in this thread remotely close to involving the quality of tesla's automobiles. You apparently made that up. Can you explain why?

Guess there isn't a "What will a giant lithium battery do when punctured" category.

Sorry, I kid. I consider ICE and EV's pretty equal in "Will it blow up". As everything under the right conditions can blow up.

Back