Tesla Launched a $1,500 Surfboard Last Night, but It’s Already Sold Out

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Tesla has a web shop offering many branded items, ranging from clothing to diecast toys and USB Superchargers. The latest addition to the catalog is a limited-edition Tesla Surfboard, which costs $1,500 and was inspired by the design of the company’s cars. Only 200 were made, however: it’s already been sold out.

Designed by the Tesla Design Studio in collaboration with Lost Surfboards and Matt “Mayhem” Biolos, surfboard shaper for World Surf League Championship athletes. The Limited-Edition Tesla Surfboard features a mix of the same high-quality matte and gloss finishes used on all our cars. The deck is reinforced with light-weight “Black Dart” carbon fiber, inspired by the interiors in our cars, and featuring tonal logos in subtle contrast gloss.

I am holding out for a Tesla salad shooter/blender combo.

Reactions: _l_
like this
That made me lol.
As somebody that is land locked i have never surfed, but i would think those are needed. Kind of like selling a car with tires not included.
that's normal, customers choice based on personal preference/setup. you can buy a complete set, just like with skateboards, you can buy each piece or a complete.

I think at this point tesla could sell a pile of human shit with their name on it and it would sell out.

The world is full of brand chasing sheep. Supreme had a branded brick they sold for like $30. I'm not hating on them though,wish I had that kind of branding power.

Looking at other sites, a Matt "Mayhem" Biolos board can cost anywhere from $600-1000. Figure in the cost of the Tesla paint and carbon fiber and that price seems about right.

Looking at other sites, a Matt "Mayhem" Biolos board can cost anywhere from $600-1000. Figure in the cost of the Tesla paint and carbon fiber and that price seems about right.

yeah when i first saw the price i thought was "WTF" then saw who they worked with to design it and the price made sense for a limited edition.

I'm trying to think of what Tesla could sell that I would pay twice as much for (admittedly I have no idea what a good surfboard normally sells for). I didn't buy a Model S, so that isn't it. Will get a base model Model 3 though, but that isn't twice what it should cost. Maybe some individual 18650 Li Ion cells (that actually work, not the dummy demo cells)? That would be kinda cool.

Actually a fairly decent price all things considered. My first decent board when I was younger cost around the equivalent of 900 USD and definitely didn't have any carbon fibre

People doing the Apple comparison need to consider that an Apple board would be three times the price and would only work on specific, certified beaches... and you would need a specific roof rack for your car which would also need changing when you bought the next board model.

Actually a fairly decent price all things considered. My first decent board when I was younger cost around the equivalent of 900 USD and definitely didn't have any carbon fibre

People doing the Apple comparison need to consider that an Apple board would be three times the price and would only work on specific, certified beaches... and you would need a specific roof rack for your car which would also need changing when you bought the next board model.
You forgot the custom fittings that only work with their specific fins (offered in Space Grey and Silver).

I'm sad I missed out on the flamethrowers. :(
You mean the blowtorch? (didn't really "throw" it much from what I could tell)

Do wonder how many Tesla fanatics actually surf.

I live in SoCal, arguably popular to both Surfers and Tesla owners, but some how I don't see much overlap in that Venn diagram. Guessing it's a collectable for those P100D owners that price isn't much of an issue for, future Roadster owners.

Avid surfer here. This board shape is for big waves and not a beginner board. I would say that most people bought this board are just gonna put it on a wall as a decoration or something. I wouldn't take a board that looks this great out in the water.

to give you some context, most brand new surfboards of this size cost about 700-800 dollars.

The board shaper that designed this board makes some amazing surfboards though. And it would be REALLY cool to see a video of someone surfing this tesla board.

Back