Tesla Launched a $1,500 Surfboard Last Night, but It’s Already Sold Out

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

Tesla has a web shop offering many branded items, ranging from clothing to diecast toys and USB Superchargers. The latest addition to the catalog is a limited-edition Tesla Surfboard, which costs $1,500 and was inspired by the design of the company’s cars. Only 200 were made, however: it’s already been sold out.

Designed by the Tesla Design Studio in collaboration with Lost Surfboards and Matt “Mayhem” Biolos, surfboard shaper for World Surf League Championship athletes. The Limited-Edition Tesla Surfboard features a mix of the same high-quality matte and gloss finishes used on all our cars. The deck is reinforced with light-weight “Black Dart” carbon fiber, inspired by the interiors in our cars, and featuring tonal logos in subtle contrast gloss.

2. Dougie

Dougie Limp Gawd

That made me lol.

3. Chris_B

Chris_B [H]ardness Supreme

I think at this point tesla could sell a pile of human shit with their name on it and it would sell out.

4. Spartacus09

Spartacus09 [H]ard|Gawd

Cards against humanity already did that, well...bull shit but same difference.

AceGoober likes this.
  5. Silentbob343

Silentbob343 [H]ard|Gawd

The cult of Apple has moved on to a new god.

6. mullet

mullet [H]ard|Gawd

I am holding out for a Tesla salad shooter/blender combo.

_l_ likes this.
  7. Exavior

Exavior [H]ardForum Junkie

As somebody that is land locked i have never surfed, but i would think those are needed. Kind of like selling a car with tires not included.

8. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

that's normal, customers choice based on personal preference/setup. you can buy a complete set, just like with skateboards, you can buy each piece or a complete.

9. StewieTheGreat

StewieTheGreat Gawd

The world is full of brand chasing sheep. Supreme had a branded brick they sold for like $30. I'm not hating on them though,wish I had that kind of branding power.

sleepeeg3 likes this.
  10. Woody1150

Woody1150 n00b

Looking at other sites, a Matt "Mayhem" Biolos board can cost anywhere from $600-1000. Figure in the cost of the Tesla paint and carbon fiber and that price seems about right.

11. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

yeah when i first saw the price i thought was "WTF" then saw who they worked with to design it and the price made sense for a limited edition.

12. Nanogrip

Nanogrip Limp Gawd

That's not a bad price for that much carbon fiber.

13. Exercate

Exercate Limp Gawd

If it was a SKATEBOARD, I would need to know if it was fireproof.

14. EODetroit

EODetroit [H]ard|Gawd

I'm trying to think of what Tesla could sell that I would pay twice as much for (admittedly I have no idea what a good surfboard normally sells for). I didn't buy a Model S, so that isn't it. Will get a base model Model 3 though, but that isn't twice what it should cost. Maybe some individual 18650 Li Ion cells (that actually work, not the dummy demo cells)? That would be kinda cool.

15. focbde

focbde Gawd

Actually a fairly decent price all things considered. My first decent board when I was younger cost around the equivalent of 900 USD and definitely didn't have any carbon fibre

People doing the Apple comparison need to consider that an Apple board would be three times the price and would only work on specific, certified beaches... and you would need a specific roof rack for your car which would also need changing when you bought the next board model.

Wierdo, Rahh and pendragon1 like this.
  16. illram

illram [H]ard|Gawd

I'm sad I missed out on the flamethrowers. :(

17. Spartacus09

Spartacus09 [H]ard|Gawd

You forgot the custom fittings that only work with their specific fins (offered in Space Grey and Silver).

You mean the blowtorch? (didn't really "throw" it much from what I could tell)

18. nxgravity

nxgravity Limp Gawd

199 EBay resellers, 1 surfer...

Rahh and Wrecked Em like this.
  19. katanaD

katanaD [H]ard|Gawd

yeah.. that was sad.. and funny at the same time.

20. Accursed

Accursed Limp Gawd

Do wonder how many Tesla fanatics actually surf.

I live in SoCal, arguably popular to both Surfers and Tesla owners, but some how I don't see much overlap in that Venn diagram. Guessing it's a collectable for those P100D owners that price isn't much of an issue for, future Roadster owners.

21. Brandon Thomas

Brandon Thomas n00b

Avid surfer here. This board shape is for big waves and not a beginner board. I would say that most people bought this board are just gonna put it on a wall as a decoration or something. I wouldn't take a board that looks this great out in the water.

to give you some context, most brand new surfboards of this size cost about 700-800 dollars.

The board shaper that designed this board makes some amazing surfboards though. And it would be REALLY cool to see a video of someone surfing this tesla board.

pendragon1 likes this.