Tesla Full Self-Driving System's Beta Developer Settings Leaked

Then there is this:
I feel those are possibly hyperbole but if not cars will have for a very long time an manual overriding mode, we will have a generation of human driver with self driving car but a wheel I imagine before we get wheel less cars (and those will be huber/taxi/airport shuttle before being consumer one).

Roomba robot vacuums do not need Wi-Fi to clean your Home. You can simply Push CLEAN on the robot and the robot will get to work. If you need to clean a specific area, you can push the SPOT Clean button, and then press Home for Roomba to return home. It is important to remember the robot must start on the Home Base for it to return home.

I think everyone had fear in their stomach when digital steering started to appear in cars, they are now the norm and an afterthought.

I feel those are possibly hyperbole but if not cars will have for a very long time an manual overriding mode, we will have a generation of human driver with self driving car but a wheel I imagine before we get wheel less cars (and those will be huber/taxi/airport shuttle before being consumer one).

Roomba robot vacuums do not need Wi-Fi to clean your Home. You can simply Push CLEAN on the robot and the robot will get to work. If you need to clean a specific area, you can push the SPOT Clean button, and then press Home for Roomba to return home. It is important to remember the robot must start on the Home Base for it to return home.

Roomba also bashes itself into just about everything in my house. Not promising for a car.

Roomba also bashes itself into just about everything in my house. Not promising for a car.

To be fair, Roomba's have terrible pathing. They are literally designed to bump into things in order to find boundaries. Some other vacs use LDS scanning SLAM and will never hit anything.

To be fair, Roomba's have terrible pathing. They are literally designed to bump into things in order to find boundaries. Some other vacs use LDS scanning SLAM and will never hit anything.
Once in a robotic class we did try to beat Roomba terrible pathing and even in a perfect computer simulation with sensors added it was really hard to beat for a reasonable price.

From what I remember it was by design to enter into wall (or placed on the ground boundary), and back in those days it was not to find the boundaries the algorithm was simply advancing a certain time or until bump, rotating a random amount of time and starting again (the amount of time it was randomly rotating and advancing was well optimised). And that was surprisingly hard to beat. That was around 13 year's ago, I imagine it got more sophisticated since.

Last edited:
Once in a robotic class we did try to beat Roomba terrible pathing and even in a perfect computer simulation with sensors added it was really hard to beat for a reasonable price.

From what I remember it was by design to enter into wall (or placed on the ground boundary), and back in those days it was not to find the boundaries the algorithm was simply advancing a certain time or until bump, rotating a random amount of time and starting again (the amount of time it was randomly rotating and advancing was well optimised). And that was surprisingly hard to beat.

Yeah, Roomba's competition has come a long way. The vacs have not gotten any bigger, but they all need to have more suction and more battery life. This results in software making actual pathing decisions designed around optimizing the battery life. The laser sensors on the competition work in the dark, and the new thing now is dual cameras that allow the robot to identify smaller obstacles and go around.

Sure I just think bringing up Roomba as an example in a car thread about automation may not have been the best example ;)

This is the problem with people today, too lazy to drive & too lazy to push a vacuum cleaner. Get off your fat asses and do something!

This is the problem with people today, too lazy to drive & too lazy to push a vacuum cleaner. Get off your fat asses and do something!

Too lazy to walk to work, too lazy to wash the clothes by hand, too lazy to dry the clothes on a line, too lazy to grind your own wheat into bread flour, too lazy to build your own house by hand, too lazy to raise and grow your own food, too lazy to make your own clothes...etc, etc. I get to do literally anything else while a couple vacuums mosey around the house cleaning for me. I sure as heck would sign up for a fully autonomous car and take a nap while it got me where I needed to go.

Too lazy to walk to work, too lazy to wash the clothes by hand, too lazy to dry the clothes on a line, too lazy to grind your own wheat into bread flour, too lazy to build your own house by hand, too lazy to raise and grow your own food, too lazy to make your own clothes...etc, etc. I get to do literally anything else while a couple vacuums mosey around the house cleaning for me. I sure as heck would sign up for a fully autonomous car and take a nap while it got me where I needed to go.
That's another problem, naps! Who needs em?! Naps are for women!

I fuckin love naps. Granted, I don't get to take naps, but I love em.
Well, if you aren't a woman, and aren't elderly, then back to work! Time's a wastin! Plenty of time for naps when you get old or have a sex change.

Also, I don't know where you live, but I wouldn't put my life in the hands of a peice of software. Have you seen how people drive?! Your head better be on a swivel here in DFW.

Speed limit 65...let's go 90! In the rain!

Last edited:
Well, if you aren't a woman, and aren't elderly, then back to work! Time's a wastin! Plenty of time for naps when you get old or have a sex change.

Also, I don't know where you live, but I wouldn't put my life in the hands of a peice of software. Have you seen how people drive?! Your head better be on a swivel here in DFW.

Speed limit 65...let's go 90! In the rain!

I would, if the software was good enough I suppose. I was thinking more of interstate trips, the software would have to be damned good for me to take a nap down 75.

That a nice argument for a long term goal to replace them by something automated too. Concentrating on driving instead of working during commute on a laptop/phone being an other argument people have for self driving car.

I would, if the software was good enough I suppose. I was thinking more of interstate trips, the software would have to be damned good for me to take a nap down 75.
I think one of the major concerns is being able to hack the vehicle. Or maybe I've seen too many 80's sci-fi movies. I don't think id be comfortable with any kind of software. It all comes down to human error anyway whether it be programming ect.., I'd rather it be my error than the error of the software.

That a nice argument for a long term goal to replace them by something automated too. Concentrating on driving instead of working during commute on a laptop/phone being an other argument people have for self driving car.
Exactly, they could market them to idiots. We all know that well isn't running dry anytime soon.

Exactly, they could market them to idiots. We all know that well isn't running dry anytime soon.

What will be more dangerous. Your average idiot driver that you encounter on a day to day basis or the black hat hacker that gets his kicks playing destruction derby?

I think one of the major concerns is being able to hack the vehicle. Or maybe I've seen too many 80's sci-fi movies. I don't think id be comfortable with any kind of software. It all comes down to human error anyway whether it be programming ect.., I'd rather it be my error than the error of the software.

Theres also ethical concerns. If youre the programmer how do you decide who to save in an unavoidable crash? Children or the cars occupants? The elderly lady or the cars occupants?

Since you, the driver, get to make that decision today its one that will be taken away from you in self driving cars. Perhaps you choose too be selfless or selfish. Either way its your choice. I dont forsee them making this a feature that can be adjusted....and if they do you can be sure someone will legislate their beliefs unto others.

In my not so humble opinion, the traffic fighting qualities of self driving are highly exaggerated.

It might help a tiny bit at the margins, but in no way does it transform busy roads into flowing ones.

That's just over-optimistic science fiction, even if you pull off all the promised technologies like close following trains of vehicles, etc.
If the roads didn't have humans then yes it would be extremely efficient. Our roads aren't designed to be efficient, just deal with humans. Unless we can eliminate all humans as drivers, then the best solution to traffic is having people work from home. Self driving vehicles has a lot of other benefits like no accidents, no need for parking, no road rage. Of course this technology would totally destroy our economy as it'll leave hundreds of thousands of people unemployed but that's what a UBI is for.

If the roads didn't have humans then yes it would be extremely efficient. Our roads aren't designed to be efficient, just deal with humans. Unless we can eliminate all humans as drivers, then the best solution to traffic is having people work from home. Self driving vehicles has a lot of other benefits like no accidents, no need for parking, no road rage. Of course this technology would totally destroy our economy as it'll leave hundreds of thousands of people unemployed but that's what a UBI is for.

Nah, a UBI is completely useless.

It is a totally idiotic idea. All it will accomplish is to increase the disposable income people outbidding eachother on real estate and rental units have.

UBI will be nothing but a massive handout to landlords and those who already own property, as rents and property values skyrocket.

It is a totally idiotic idea. All it will accomplish is to increase the disposable income people outbidding eachother on real estate and rental units have.

UBI will be nothing but a massive handout to landlords and those who already own property, as rents and property values skyrocket.
This. It'll continue the same path as always, rich get richer, poor continue to decline. Its how the system is rigged, more taxes, more regulation, rinse, wash and repeat. I'm not keen on the idea of depending on the government for anything, when they don't even know how to manage themselves.

There is no limit to human greed.

I dunno if I could ever do Telsa or a self driving car. I love my somewhat gas guzzling loud work truck a little too much! However, self driving could be nice, less people causing wrecks cause of texting, calling, eating, drinking, pills.... The list goes on.

I dunno if I could ever do Telsa or a self driving car. I love my somewhat gas guzzling loud work truck a little too much! However, self driving could be nice, less people causing wrecks cause of texting, calling, eating, drinking, pills.... The list goes on.
We want those types to cause wrecks, preferably smashing into something that doesn't harm anyone but them. Let Darwinism run its course.

You want to fix real estate prices then you move people out into the country side, where hardly anyone lives there. I go upstate NY often and I see so many empty houses that have been sitting for years. So much so that some have collapsed in on themselves. Just a bunch of old people dying and nobody wanting to move somewhere wear jobs are hard to find. Oddly enough, StarLink could help fix this problem as well since a lot of people will be working from home now. Look at all the people leaving the city. Not as many people liked living in a city as people thought. Get them a reliable internet connection and those problems can be solved. Of course having people work at home will also eliminate some jobs but no where near as many as self driving technology.

This. It'll continue the same path as always, rich get richer, poor continue to decline. Its how the system is rigged, more taxes, more regulation, rinse, wash and repeat.
Time to strengthen our democracy. Only way this gets out of control is if we didn't have any to begin with.
I'm not keen on the idea of depending on the government for anything, when they don't even know how to manage themselves.

There is no limit to human greed.
The government isn't this thing that does nothing when you do nothing with it. They're always active and doing things as we speak. The only reason self driving technology isn't a thing yet is because our government prevented the technology from rolling out. Otherwise we would have Google self driving vehicles about 10 years ago. Our government set a higher standard for this technology to ensure nothing goes wrong, but more than likely they're trying to prevent massive jobs lost from this tech. Our Government is working hard right now to make streaming games illegal. It's even faster than passing a bill to give people money during this crisis. The wealthy have been using our government against us by passing bills that ensure they get laws that favor them. How you think Ajit Pai was able to remove net neutrality?

Nothing can go wrong with a UBI so long as we're in charge. If we're not then some else is. One things for certain is that once self driving technology rolls out then unemployment will increase. After COVID19 I would think that a lot of companies would really like something that can't transmit a disease like a human can. Taxi, Ubers, even delivering food would benefit from this. We're quicker to adopt technology when we're forced to.

Last edited:
We want those types to cause wrecks, preferably smashing into something that doesn't harm anyone but them. Let Darwinism run its course.
You know who else wants wrecks? People who need donor organs. Think of the sick people and kill yourself by driving.

Reactions: kju1
like this
"The future is now , Old man"
but on a serious note, self driving is the only way outside of full on public only transportation (which would also be self driving) that we can fight traffic in the future

I will be first in line!

Back